Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Ten is my fave character, I forgot about this interaction. He's a calm, collected, pretty nice old man :)

Ten is too old to be too old for this poo poo, so ends up taking everything in stride. The exception is matters relating to his grandson, that's where he loses his composure.

Sure he's only like... 60 but in anime years that's basically 1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Pierzak posted:

The damsel is actually Zero Zero, but if you don't ally this whole timeline will cease to exist and you'll hit a bad end. As the snake would tell you if you actually listened to it instead of getting railroaded :smug:

If he went to talk to the snake he would have caused another Time Paradox though, as he would encounter his own skeleton

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

slowbeef posted:

Time to vote!

Allying in this game is not even an option.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NextTime000 posted:

If he went to talk to the snake he would have caused another Time Paradox though, as he would encounter his own skeleton
Only if he knows it already.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
We'll see if a last minute rush changes things before I get back home and close the poll but it's looking a lot like we're going with the red door. Sigma/Luna/Phi lives again! (probably)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Fedule, if you want me not to post this just say so, but the series creator just stated on twitter that Zero Escape 3 looks unlikely.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Austrian mook posted:

Recent news that could potentially be edited out
Well that sucks, I feel like I've just been penalized. If that does happen, I really hope that at least the planning and writing make it out in some other form

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I just found out we probably aren't getting the sequel to this game according to the writers twitter. Apparently the games didn't sell enough or something :negative:

Edit: Wrong thread but still, how upsetting.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Austrian mook posted:

Fedule, if you want me not to post this just say so, but the series creator just stated on twitter that Zero Escape 3 looks unlikely.

I'm too depressed to censor this.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fedule posted:

I'm too depressed to censor this.

:negative:

Also go with the red door.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I just found out we probably aren't getting the sequel to this game according to the writers twitter. Apparently the games didn't sell enough or something :negative:

Edit: Wrong thread but still, how upsetting.

It seems he still has hope in the project, but he's going to have to look for another publishing solution. I choose to remain optimistic.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:smith: Now we'll never know what the cluster of sentient bacteria who time-travelled from the planet Thoriax VIII were planning to do with the Lincoln android-clones.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm looking over his English Twitter feed now. He says that while it looks unlikely at the moment, he hasn't given up on it, and that he still hopes to get it out somehow, some day. Like if his next, non-Zero Escape project does well, the people in charge might be more willing to give him a chance. Or if he can find an investor who'd be willing to help back the project.

Things look bleak, but I refuse to give in to despair. I have hope the series will continue.

Fallord posted:

It seems he still has hope in the project, but he's going to have to look for another publishing solution. I choose to remain optimistic.

:unsmith: :respek: :unsmith:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Or if he can find an investor who'd be willing to help back the project.

I normally scoff at or have cynical views on Kickstarter/etc projects, but helping fund this as an indie release is something I could really get behind, especially after reading the (extremely spoiler-ridden) FAQ pages. Does he have the rights to the series' IP? Hope he wouldn't have to buy his own characters from whatever company is currently holding the ZE series

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Apparently the games didn't sell enough or something :negative:

Looks like the series sells poorly in Japan. :(

VLR writer Kotaro Uchikoshi posted:

But, in Japan, 999 and VLR are in the red. They are not selling more than people think.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Oh my god, that's awful. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.
But actually, I'm surprised they didn't sell well in Japan. I hope it's not because they're not dating sims. My main reason for liking these games over Ever17 is that they don't usually pander to stupid anime tropes.
I don't feel bad anymore for buying the game even though I already knew what happened.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 13, 2014

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
drat, and I just got back from a chat with a friend where we worried about this exact thing. That really sucks, but I'm not terribly surprised, I know how badly Zero Escape tends to do in Japan (without international sales VLR wouldn't have been made in the first place, basically). It's a pity the domestic sales hobble the series so much.

On the other hand, I no longer feel bad about buying both a physical AND a digital copy of VLR.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Can't they just... not sell it in Japan? Save money on voice acting and all that.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Not if they want to keep their current publisher.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Hardly surprising news but still heart-breaking to have it confirmed :smith:

I hope ignoring the Japanese market and going west is an option for him. From what he said in the Q&A, I assume he would probably have a bit more creative freedom too.

BlueJoneleth
Feb 1, 2014

Belgian Steak
A fan movement started

quote:

Zero Escape 3 is currently on indefinite hiatus, upper management is unconvinced of profit potential.
https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng
https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/433998713841676288

Operation Bluebird Facebook: https://www.facebook[].com/operationbluebirdze3
Take a time stamped picture of your copy of 999 and/or VLR asking for Zero Escape 3, Do it for her, #doitforher. If you have a digital copy just take a picture of your screen. Post a picture on Facebook or send it to operationbluebirdze3 [gmaildotcom]Trying to show that we want a third game. Petition and more coming soon...

Post this on Twitter:@spikechunsoft#ZeroEscape3 #doitforher

We are also currently working on making a photo collage, so it would be neat if you'd take a photo of the game with a timestamp. You can add a personal message, but chances are they are unable to understand it.

This has little chance to succeed but if we don't try we're sure to lose.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You should probably post that in the thread over in games. People who are just following the LP should be wary of following the link there because you never know when a spoiler might pop up.

SkuttyB
Nov 5, 2010

Here is an article on this matter if you want to read a bit more. Theres a link in it to another article about the series' writing, but be warned it does contain minor spoilers regarding the games flowchart.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
On this path, is there still the Phi/Sigma exchange about the premonition he had?

Back when we were in the AB room, you said you saw the moment when the bomb exploded.

Th-That was... um... just a...

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So, my addiction to this series has finally gotten me to start trying to tackle the Dangan Ronpa LPs as well....not as many similarities as I thought besides the sinister animal puppet AI and the fact that it's got people locked up playing a death game. Though it really makes me appreciate what we have here under the rule of Zero Jr. because apparently things could be a lot worse.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe posted:

So, my addiction to this series has finally gotten me to start trying to tackle the Dangan Ronpa LPs

Just be careful about posting any comparisons, what is/isn't like other games could end up being spoiler territory. Also don't forget that we're probably not even a third into the game yet after all this time - judging by the pretty insane number of twists already presented, there's bound to be tons more coming that may or may not change how it compares.

I'm tempted to grab DR as well - I stayed away from what was an apparent warzone of a thread, so I was able to avoid most of the spoilers. It being described as a lovechild of 999/VLR and Ace Attorney really wants to make that :40bux: vanish

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Dangan Ronpa is a very good game and if you like 999/VLR and/or the Ace Attorney series it's worth picking up.

I've heard iffy things about the official translation compared to Oren's fan translation, though, so it miiiight be worth reading his updates alongside your playthrough.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Keep in mind that there are people in this thread who haven't read the Danganronpa LP and are currently playing the brand new English release, so any comparisons you make should probably be in spoiler tags.

This should go without saying, but people in this thread are occasionally pretty flippant with untagged DR spoilers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

flatluigi posted:

Dangan Ronpa is a very good game and if you like 999/VLR and/or the Ace Attorney series it's worth picking up.

I've heard iffy things about the official translation compared to Oren's fan translation, though, so it miiiight be worth reading his updates alongside your playthrough.

For what it's worth Oren said he prefers the official over his own. If you have a Vita for VLR anyway then might as well get DR while you're at it. Also the series creator has been asking questions on Twitter about Kickstarter.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

njsykora posted:

For what it's worth Oren said he prefers the official over his own. If you have a Vita for VLR anyway then might as well get DR while you're at it. Also the series creator has been asking questions on Twitter about Kickstarter.

Official translation's not bad, but personal opinion is that Japanese audio - for the most part - is better. A shame they don't let you switch it midway the game, but at least dual audio is possible.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

flatluigi posted:

I refute these claims. The official translation is very good, except for the baffling decision to run with "the blackened" as a term for the culprit hiding among the innocents. And Monokuma, but that was Spike Chunsoft insisting so hey. Anyway, I like it a lot, and when I say I like it a lot bear in mind that because of this official localization, months and months of editing the SHSL Translation Patch have come to nothing. So I'd have to like it a lot.

(The dub, though, is not so great.)

If you've been avoiding the DR threads for whatever reason then frankly I'd only recommend the game even more, since now it won't be so bittersweet due to the loss of Super High-school Level, the real Hope's Peak Moniker.

VLR? What? Oh, I'm sorry, I'm busy trying to reconcile the concepts of "Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII" and "Actually a Good Game". It's kinda blowing my mind.

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

Fedule posted:

(snip) and when I say I like it a lot bear in mind that because of this (snip)

Ohohoho, I see what you did there.
(I'm sure it was totally unintentional though).

Changamer
Feb 20, 2013
Speaking of the DR dub, is it just me, or does Chihiro have the same English voice as Quark? Also, the dubs are bearable, in my opinion. But the Japanese voices are still better.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Repeating what several people just said - the official DR localization seems to be really good. Sure, there are things I would do differently, but it's mostly little quibbles. In almost every regard it reads much better than the unedited mess that is the DR1 LP.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Changamer posted:

Speaking of the DR dub, is it just me, or does Chihiro have the same English voice as Quark? Also, the dubs are bearable, in my opinion. But the Japanese voices are still better.

From what I read on Wikipedia, Erin Fitzgerald who does the voice of Quark doesn't voice Chihiro but does voice (edit: Dangan Ronpa 1 spoilers in case you didn't guess) Junko Enoshima and Genocide Jack

NeuroticLich fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 17, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

NeuroticLich posted:

From what I read on Wikipedia, Erin Fitzgerald who does the voice of Quark doesn't voice Chihiro but

Those are DR1 spoilers and NOT VLR spoilers by the way, since this person decided to be unhelpfully vague.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Virtue's Last Reward is one of my favorite visual novels of all time. I bought this game the same day I finished 999 and powered through all of it in about a week (it was the holidays so I had the free time).

I think LPs of in-depth stories like this are interesting because of all the discussion and speculation that follows. I played through this with a friend and we were constantly discussing things and coming up with ideas and I really think some stories become more enjoyable when you just can't stop thinking about it.

Fedule, you are doing a good job with this LP. In particular, I wanted to note that I really like the way you make gifs showing what's being flown past whenever you use the skip function. That was a clever way to show the skipping was happening instead of just saying "I skipped here" which might seem rather jarring and leave people having to go back and check prior updates just to remember where in the story you skipped.

I'll probably follow this LP to the end, though mostly lurking, but I did want to express my enjoyment and appreciation for this LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is interesting. I wonder if Alice is somehow morphogenetically opposite to us. Like, letting the people with 1 BP choose somehow screwed her over when it was her suggestion, so she doesn't want to do it again when someone else has 1 BP.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I miss this thread. :(

Though I'm about halfway through the Dangan Ronpa LP by now and I do have to say, so far VLR looks positively tame by comparison. We need more paths like the first one with bodies turning up left and right.

And having Zero Jr. pop up now in then to deliver commentary would be nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Not dead! I just got very very distracted by Final Fantasy related things. Like, I played Lightning Returns a lot, and then a friend visited me for a week and told me he'd never played FFVII and I was like welp there's only one way this can end, and also a different Final Fantasy thing is brewing but now I'm getting ahead of myself.

I wish I could revive the thread with something more substantial than a going-into-a-door update but hey. Oh well. Next update'll be another escape, and we all know how much I love those.

• Locked thread