Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TOOT BOOT posted:

Problems with Steam:
-The games aren't guaranteed to actually work as provided by Steam which negates the ease of use argument. I had maybe 5 games that required me to do something to the install or they'd crash immediately. Fallout 3 GOTY silently crashes on load for many people unless they go find GFW and install it separately.

For recent games that need GFWL, this point is meaningless. If GOG sold those games, you'd still need GFWL.

For the really old games where GOG make sure they work on modern systems and Steam just sell them regardless, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

If this is a stunt and it comes back better than before I will forgive them. If part of their new model is adding DRM to some games though I will laugh in their face for first demonstrating with their shutdown exactly why DRM is a terrible idea.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

If this is a stunt, it's one hell of a way of driving the "DRM is anti-consumer" point home.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Danger Mahoney posted:

I don't think you've ever had a problem with a gog game then. They don't support a single one of their games at all.

Exactly, I've gotten quite a few that work like poo poo so I wouldn't say their customer service is perfect aside from this "prank" which some people are defending because this is the internet and people just love to act like they're above all the rabble.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This is not good news. At the very least it'll make a lot of people much more hesitant about buying games online off any company that isn't already large and well-established, and the kicker is that if GoG is relaunching they've probably driven most of their fans away anyway. To be honest I did download all my purchases a few days ago in a fit of paranoia that exactly this thing might happen, but I imagine most people who haven't got offline backups have just sent torrent seeding figures through the roof!

Anyone know what the legal situation would be about setting up a password-protected SA torrent for goons who can provide proof of purchase? It'd be good to help each other out if possible.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

For recent games that need GFWL, this point is meaningless. If GOG sold those games, you'd still need GFWL.

For the really old games where GOG make sure they work on modern systems and Steam just sell them regardless, fair enough.

I wasn't actually commenting on anything related to GoG in that post, just Steam. If I did make a comparison GoG would come out ahead since they appear to at least put in some effort towards making sure their games actually work.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Danger Mahoney posted:

I don't think you've ever had a problem with a gog game then. They don't support a single one of their games at all.

I haven't, actually. That was kind of my point, shame about them not helping you with technical issues after the fact, though I haven't heard much good about other sites' handling of that.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Party Plane Jones posted:

I have to give GoG props for not bundling stolen code with their Fallout releases like Interplay did with Steam at least.

IIRC their first release of Lords of the Realm 1 had files from a cracked version, or something.

And they never used the CD version for it. I have the CD version but never could get the voices to work :(

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
My Unhappiness and Unlimited Displeasure is now on GOG for $0.00.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Maybe Valve made an offer to buy them out? Id be happy with that.

:unsmith:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Nthman posted:

Maybe Valve made an offer to buy them out? Id be happy with that.

:unsmith:

If Valve farmed out all their old games handling to them and combined their services it would literally be The Best Thing Ever.

I mean, it won't happen, but goddamn man, just THINK.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The whole thing feels like a big decision, hastily made. GOG's web team is really awesome and the current page looks like amateur hour compared to their usual presentation. If this really was pre-planned, I would think they'd have something a little more polished to show than the page that's there now.

If it's all marketing's idea of a big joke, well, I've been unpleasantly surprised by marketing drones before.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

200 new replies in the GoG thread? Hmm something bug must've been announced. Oh what the loving gently caress! :psyduck:

Terrible news or a terrible PR stunt, either way it loving sucks. In any case I'm gonna have to buy a bunch of blank DVD's or a new backup drive to store all of the fuckton of the games I bought in the past from GoG.

Jesus loving Christ.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
If this is some sort of Polish marketing joke, well... I don't know why this popped into my head. :psyduck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57XI3se9YcE

This does make them look pretty Polish.

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?
What the Christ.

I must be some kind of psychic having downloaded all the installers only a few days ago.

I can't possibly imagine how this could be good PR if this indeed is a PR stunt. :confused:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

RPS have an article up now. It doesn't say much we don't already know, though.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money
Professionalism. How does that work?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
Didn't someone post, way earlier in this thread, a link to an interview where someone high-up at CD Projekt said something about kicking around the idea of adding a $3 price point for really old games, and a $15 point for newer games?

That message on the site now is really weaselly. I wanthave to believe they're just coming out of beta and altering their pricing scheme.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Since there's a guy posting in a few places and saying it's just the end of beta announcement, hosed up horribly, I hope they're going to go "oh no we were hacked!" next and then reveal that they were hacked by SHODAN and it was all just a marketing ploy to announce that they have System Shock 1 and 2.

e; link removed/post reworded since I figured it'd already been linked. :3:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 19, 2010

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

RiffRaff1138 posted:

That message on the site now is really weaselly. I wanthave to believe they're just coming out of beta and altering their pricing scheme.

It's strange there's no talk of 'market conditions' or anything financial in this. The lack of any apology (or indeed proper formatting) seems a bit of a giveaway.

Regardless, hard to see anything good coming from this.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ansob. posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23418875&postcount=240

This guy is posting in a few places and saying it's just the end of beta announcement, hosed up horribly. Personally, I hope they're going to go "oh no we were hacked!" next and then reveal that they were hacked by SHODAN and it was all just a marketing ploy to announce that they have System Shock 1 and 2.

Best Ending.

Not that'll happen, but still best ending.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
What a loving rollercoaster

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What the gently caress. This isn't something you can joke about. I'm outraged either way!!! :mad:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Ansob. posted:

SHODAN

Ok, that would be awesome.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is really really terrible. I've spent a few hundred dollars at GOG over the two years and downloaded maybe only a few of the games since I figured even if they were going to shut down, they'd give fair warning so I could back up the installers.

I even just spent around 10 bucks yesterday picking up a couple of games. If they don't provide me links to get the files shortly, isn't this just plain theft?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If that came back with something like Planescape, all would be forgiven.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GreenNight posted:

If that came back with something like Planescape, all would be forgiven.

"What can change the nature of our DRM policy?"

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

JazzFlight posted:

This is really really terrible. I've spent a few hundred dollars at GOG over the two years and downloaded maybe only a few of the games since I figured even if they were going to shut down, they'd give fair warning so I could back up the installers.

I even just spent around 10 bucks yesterday picking up a couple of games. If they don't provide me links to get the files shortly, isn't this just plain theft?

If they are legit shutting down I would contact my bank and initiate a chargeback. I'm tempted to do so anyway even though I only own 2 games from GOG just to prove my point about how this is the worst idea ever if it is fake.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

quote:

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

It's okay, many other people skipped over that and came here to post the same complaint.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Drox posted:

Well, if they really ARE shutting down, surely it wouldn't be wrong to distribute the DRM-free files, right? :)

Yes, nothing would encourage publishers to have more DRM-free releases than having the torrent sites flooded with compact, easy-to-use, DRM-free executables from the one digital distro with no DRM :)

I literally just bought Duke Nukem 3d and Betrayal at Krondor (I know it's freeware but the CD music + not having to fiddle with DosBox made up for it) yesterday, talk about timing!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Wow... I didn't see this coming. Fake closing down or not. Some posters here made me nervous and I got the Gog beta downloader client and queued all my library. I started downloading them Friday when I came back home from work and finished yesterday afternoon after the client crashed a few times.

All 25 gigs of games. I'm just sad I didn't have the time to grab the manuals and extras.

I'll be cautious of them if they come back as anything else than a non beta version. Going out of beta would be the only thing I could live with with this insane PR stunt (if it's one). I agree with the guy saying their PR guys went to the same school as the Bioware crowd. How could anyone think this was a good idea if it's a stunt needs to be shot by the shareholders.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They posted a Twitter Update

GOGcom posted:

As stated on https://www.gog.com everyone who bought their games will be able to redownload them.This option will be available in the upcoming week.
7 minutes ago via web

Cyborgmatt
Aug 9, 2009

Honk.

quote:

Update: Good Old Games spokesman Tom Ohle gave this comment to Kotaku: "As the message on the site says, this doesn't mean GOG is gone. We'll have more to share in the coming days."
http://kotaku.com/5642141/what-happened-to-good-old-games

:negative: Now I feel angry that they're returning, what a stupid PR stunt.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GOG Twitter posted:

The official statement from GOG's management about the situation will be announced soon. We'll have more details about this tomorrow.

Hemish posted:

I agree with the guy saying their PR guys went to the same school as the Bioware crowd. How could anyone think this was a good idea if it's a stunt needs to be shot by the shareholders.
I must be out of the loop, what BioWare PR stunt are you referring to?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
As a self-entitled rear end in a top hat, I expect a free game to compensate for lost service time. :colbert:

(but, seriously, very happy it was just a PR stunt and they're not actually gone!)

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

The Neoseeker article said that they had just hired a new PR guy. If this is a stunt, guess who's getting fired for his first big idea?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
John Romero's about to make you his bitch.

Suck it down.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Blodskur posted:

I must be out of the loop, what BioWare PR stunt are you referring to?

At a guess, the Dragon Age and Dragon Age II marketing. The former sold a fairly conservative Baldur's Gate style RPG as THE NEW poo poo, complete with Marilyn Manson soundtrack (not featured in actual game) in its atrociously poor trailers. The latter just looks...no, I can't bring myself to talk about it. Go read the DA2 thread if you feel overly cheerful and need to be brought back to equilibrium.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

They offer the superior product for (often times) superior prices
Actually, compared to some alternatives they offer only a slightly superior product (always guaranteed seeds, basically) with a worse price (anything more than zero). They changed the previous point today.

At this point i honestly am not sure whether getting S3 storage for my abandonware might be better than to trust a company that is flat out lying to its trusting and good-willed customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Beefeater1980 posted:

At a guess, the Dragon Age and Dragon Age II marketing. The former sold a fairly conservative Baldur's Gate style RPG as THE NEW poo poo, complete with Marilyn Manson soundtrack (not featured in actual game) in its atrociously poor trailers. The latter just looks...no, I can't bring myself to talk about it. Go read the DA2 thread if you feel overly cheerful and need to be brought back to equilibrium.

That's it? Such ads are meant to attract people who don't usually play RPGs to the game, they're not intended for you so of course they look dumb. Considering that in the end the game sold well enough to get a sequel in spite of being an old-school Baldur's Gate-esque RPG I can't really complain.