Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Just placed an order for a silver white N8, ought to be a fitting upgrade from my equally silver white N82. I mostly use my phones for text messages, calling people, taking photos and checking my email, so the N8 sounds like it'll fit my usage patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
Is it really true that Nokia decided that all cameras have to have an annoying shutter sound that can't be disabled even if the phone is set to silent?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Noxious posted:

Is it really true that Nokia decided that all cameras have to have an annoying shutter sound that can't be disabled even if the phone is set to silent?

I thought it was a law somewhere, as I understood it. I remember with my Sony Ericsson phones like the w810 and k790, I could flash the firmware to a different region that would let me disable the sound, but no such luck on my n82.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Noxious posted:

It can be disabled. Set "Warning Tones" to off in your tone settings.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Septimus posted:

It can be disabled. Set "Warning Tones" to off in your tone settings.
Only in certain regions, at least with my N82 (as previously mentioned).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

And some firmwares on some phones that doesn't work at all (E71-3 500, from experience).

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And some firmwares on some phones that doesn't work at all (E71-3 500, from experience).

NOKIAAAAA!! :argh:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's more like GOVEEEEERNMEEEEEEENTS. :argh:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LiquidRain posted:

It's more like GOVEEEEERNMEEEEEEENTS. :argh:

Society doesn't like it when people stick the camera end of phones up women's skirts. What a shock.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

Yeah, definitely region based. There's no shutter sound if I mute my N82. There's still a small orange LED if I remember correctly. I've never had any reason to take photos without alerting anyone, but I guess it could come in handy one day.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Society doesn't like it when people stick the camera end of phones up women's skirts. What a shock.
Well yeah but you can't just say EEEVERRRYOOOOONEE'S STAAAANDAAAAAARDS :argh: as easily as you can get angry at government. :)

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
So, Sony Ericsson decided not to make any more Symbian phones, and now Samsung announced the same. Nokia is going to be pretty lonely, riding this boat alone.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Civil posted:

So, Sony Ericsson decided not to make any more Symbian phones, and now Samsung announced the same. Nokia is going to be pretty lonely, riding this boat alone.

They've done it before, they can do it again. There's only one iOS manufacturer too. It's not like Samsung was a huge seller of Symbian phones in the first place.

I know I've been down on Nokia the last little while, so I have to give them props where props are due. Huge kudos for making the N8 a true world phone with four 2G bands and all five HSDPA bands including 1700. I hope other manufacturers follow suit.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Is it true that they have all 5 bands in one phone? It's not multiple versions?

If so, that's big news for us Canadians.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

LiquidRain posted:

Is it true that they have all 5 bands in one phone? It's not multiple versions?

If so, that's big news for us Canadians.

All the Symbian^3 phones have 5 band 3G (850/900/1700/1900/2100). No more multiple versions.* You could jump from Rogers to Bell to Wind as you please.

*There will be multiple versions of the E7. For localized keyboards.

edit:
T-Mobile is twice as fast as at&t in New York.
http://thenokiablog.com/2010/10/01/nokia-n8-3g-speed-test/

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 1, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://thehandheldblog.com/2010/10/05/the-nokia-n8-gets-its-first-mod-hd-capture-at-30-fps-less-image-compression/

The N8 camera has its first mod. The N8 usually captures 12MP images at 1 to 2 MB. The upcoming mod will capture at 11 MB. Video capture increased from 25fps to the full 30 fps.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

Anyone get their hands on their N8 yet? They've started sending them out here in Norway and a few of my friends have received theirs already (the bastards...). Still waiting for mine to ship out, hoping it'll happen today.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Anyone get their hands on their N8 yet? They've started sending them out here in Norway and a few of my friends have received theirs already (the bastards...). Still waiting for mine to ship out, hoping it'll happen today.

I could have gotten an N8 yesterday but I couldn't make the trip to San Francisco. I saw a guy in Sweden went to a store and got 4 of them for himself and his family.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Here is something else Nokia does best:

Septimus fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 7, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
N8 photo sample

How much longer until the white iPhone comes out? I would like to buy an N8 now.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Septimus posted:

Here is something else Nokia does best:

Haha, Nokia more like Nokkkia.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

Got mine today :woop:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

My #1 question that I haven't seen in any review: What happens when you receive an SMS?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

My #1 question that I haven't seen in any review: What happens when you receive an SMS?
You're gonna have to wait for FP1 for that functionality.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

The default settings while the phone is locked (ie. at the screensaver clock): vibrates, plays the message alert and the backlight of the little menu button at the bottom starts blinking.

When you unlock it a message pops up at the bottom of the screen letting you know that you've received a message, it gives you the choice between opening the message or closing the little window.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

:eng99:

Looks like I'll be buying a 3rd party SMS app again.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Doesn't the N8 come with the Notifications widget?
It bypasses the little popup.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

My cousin went and got an n95 or something over a Galaxy S on Friday. I had to help her set it up and in trying to get it to connect to the PC in PC Suite Mode (a quest in itself), I was seriously having to press, hard, on the screen multiple times to get it to even register my touches. I'm used to being able to simply brush the screen of my iphone and it registers.

Is this really the case? Is what you guys live with on a daily basis? If so, you lot have some Zen-like focus, jesus christ. I couldn't take it, I was already getting pissed off at the phone after minutes of use and I didn't even own it.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Nam Taf posted:

My cousin went and got an n95 or something over a Galaxy S on Friday. I had to help her set it up and in trying to get it to connect to the PC in PC Suite Mode (a quest in itself), I was seriously having to press, hard, on the screen multiple times to get it to even register my touches. I'm used to being able to simply brush the screen of my iphone and it registers.

Is this really the case? Is what you guys live with on a daily basis? If so, you lot have some Zen-like focus, jesus christ. I couldn't take it, I was already getting pissed off at the phone after minutes of use and I didn't even own it.

If it's the n97 I can understand. Nobody likes the n97, nobody should like the n97. It's sluggish and unresponsive - they literally took an OS not designed for touch, added a touch interface, and left it at that.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

You're right, it looks to be the n97. I had to basically ram my thumb through the screen to get it to register. Is that a byproduct of the type of touchscreen they use? It was terrible and I don't know why she was willing to buy that phone especially since her best mate owns one and so she should know how woeful it is.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Nam Taf posted:

You're right, it looks to be the n97. I had to basically ram my thumb through the screen to get it to register. Is that a byproduct of the type of touchscreen they use? It was terrible and I don't know why she was willing to buy that phone especially since her best mate owns one and so she should know how woeful it is.

It's terrible for two main reasons. One, it's underpowered, and two, it's running S60 v5 Symbian, which is more or less a first-generation touch.

Symbian has a lot going for it, and there are plenty of reasons why I'll always buy Nokia phones (one is for imaging capabilities, the other is for data-free GPS), but the n97 is just terrible.

The n97 does use a resistive touchscreen which does require a little more pressure, which is different than the iPhone's capacitive. While that isn't necessarily a game-breaker for me, the n97 is just sluggish and nowhere near optimized.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

Is that a byproduct of the type of touchscreen they use?

Yeah, resistive touchscreens allow the use of a stylus but require more pressure to register the press. Newer Nokia phones use capacitive and so are far more responsive.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Take the N97 back.

Seriously. Go take it back. Before it's too late.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/vertu-constellation-quest-coming-soon-finally-puts-qwerty-in/

Is that a Vertu with s60? Finally, your hard earned $10,000 will get you a phone that is only a couple years behind the wave, rather than a decade back.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Well, Vertu=Nokia so it definitely isn't running iOS, Android, or WinMo 7

edit: I bet it runs S40

Septimus fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 12, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Civil posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/vertu-constellation-quest-coming-soon-finally-puts-qwerty-in/

Is that a Vertu with s60? Finally, your hard earned $10,000 will get you a phone that is only a couple years behind the wave, rather than a decade back.

That $10000 is like $10 to the person who would own this phone.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

That $10000 is like $10 to the person who would own this phone.
I doubt rich people would even buy that kind of poo poo since an iPhone costs less, is more prestigious, and isn't gimped by a terrible OS. More like for wannabe noveaux riche types only

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Peven Stan posted:

is more prestigious
When a bum like me can buy an iPhone, it is not even close to prestigious. Nobody buys these phones for the phone itself, but for the services that come with it.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

When a bum like me can buy an iPhone, it is not even close to prestigious. Nobody buys these phones for the phone itself, but for the services that come with it.

Yeah this is more than likely a third (business, personal) phone that sits in the center console of the Bentley so they can get tickets to that sold out opera at the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

American Jello posted:

Yeah this is more than likely a third (business, personal) phone that sits in the center console of the Bentley so they can get tickets to that sold out opera at the last minute.
I've read that the concierge service is not very good at all, and didn't actually offer the amazing access and benefits that people assume that it does. I read some reviews by posters on howardforums several years ago. It's funny to think of them setting down their tophat and monacle long enough to log into a web forum populated by teenagers.

• Locked thread