Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
Screenshot Saturday! (Well technically not a screenshot)

I started working on some character generation/customization stuff!

The idea is having customizable heads but having the bodies themselves be class specific so I can give every class their own unique animations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeIibzN9EVU

I really wish I wasn't working on this alone, it seems sometimes it'd be easier if I was working with someone and could bounce ideas around.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I really wish I wasn't working on this alone, it seems sometimes it'd be easier if I was working with someone and could bounce ideas around.

This actually looks like a fun and playable game. The graphics are deceivingly low fidelity for how good the gameplay looks.

Anyway here's something for a little late #screenshotsaturday

Nothing actually new, just wanted to post something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Oh man, I like what I'm seein' here. I'd play it.

I'm not sure what kinds of reactions you've gotten on your text boxes thus far if any, but I love your cute picture book-ey characters.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I kind of hear a mix of 2d Zelda / Danny Baranowsky in my head as the music. I like it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
JESUS. SHITLORD. CHRIST. I am, of course, an incompetent klutz with code and basically glean everything I know from other people. I just spent the last twelve hours learning from some guy's XNA saving-in-XML tutorial and trying to implement it. Not happening!

Then I looked at a different tutorial I had in my bookmarks. This guy's blog is just tabled and set up in such a way that it's a pain in the rear end to read, but drat, he's a great teacher. I implemented the alternate save method he was offering and... oh, look at that, got it working 100% in like 30 minutes.

One might argue that I just needed a twelve-hour run-up to get my gears spinning right, but I think the moral of the story here is never trust anyone from Hawaii to teach you how to program. I mean, I technically could because I understand the elements of pedagogy, but I wouldn't trust me to teach anyone either: when I say my programming etiquette is the equivalent of a Cro-Magnon at a Victorian function, I mean it.

That of course doesn't stop me from, at this point, officially stating that the only thing left to do in Dragon Game is to make the rest of the stages, because the mechanics and system management et al are now entirely complete. That's still like 16 stages and six bosses, but poo poo, it feels good to be done with everything I'm bad at. Now I can procrastinate and not work on sprites and levels instead :downs:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 7, 2012

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

As soon as the power is switched on, the game became awesome, even if it's only 1:30 minutes of content.

The White Dragon posted:

That of course doesn't stop me from, at this point, officially stating that the only thing left to do in Dragon Game is to make the rest of the stages, because the mechanics and system management et al are now entirely complete. That's still like 16 stages and six bosses, but poo poo, it feels good to be done with everything I'm bad at. Now I can procrastinate and not work on sprites and levels instead :downs:

Awesome! Now get to procrastinating!

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Those gravity pads kinda remind me of chip's challenge (awesome.)

Here's something for sound design sunday. Throwing a few stones onto the lake and listening to the sounds they make: http://soundcloud.com/ko-op/a-few-more-stones

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Silly question: there's no harm in using temp art from copyrighted sources for the development phase of a game, is there? And if the development process is going to be blogged and displays said content?

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

Orzo posted:

Silly question: there's no harm in using temp art from copyrighted sources for the development phase of a game, is there? And if the development process is going to be blogged and displays said content?

Most game companies will probably not bother you or even notice what you use unless you try to sell your product with their art in it or create a notable competition for their products. I mean a wildly popular success like Terraria used Final Fantasy sprite recolors in it's marketing/beta.

Robotnik DDS fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 7, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Orzo posted:

It will interfere with your ability to attract viewers/followers to your blog, probably more so than if you just used programmer art. Weird out of place art is often worse than boxes. That aside, yeah, no problem, even AAA studios do it - just mark all the assets to be taken out.

Hunting your entire 100,000 count asset base for rogue borrowed assets, and knowing it means a lawsuit if you miss any, is really not fun.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Thanks folks.

Also, what is the easiest way to record videos of works in progress?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Orzo posted:

Thanks folks.

Also, what is the easiest way to record videos of works in progress?

I use fraps, but there are other, free, programs out there that work just as well. But I'll be buggered if I can remember the name right now.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
The Game Creators have a program I've been using since about 2006 called DarkBASIC. It's fairly simple to use, and the free DBPro is more powerful than the "classic" version. There's a fairly decent community behind that will usually help you out so long as you don't go posting "gimme teh codes" as they like to say.

I wouldn't recommend this for any serious games, because most of the time the games made with it look like total poo poo. Occasionally something good may come from the community but it's rare to see. If you're starting off, it'll be a decent way to get learning.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2000

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

What do you people who've made games before do as far as prototyping? I've had some ideas for a strategy game type of thing going around in my head but working out how game mechanics might play out for anything other basic action games seems really intimidating.

Also, what's the easiest way to deal with interfaces in a 3D game? I have a decent bit of programming experience but mostly with developing simulators and low level hardware stuff; clicky buttons and windows scare me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

What do you people who've made games before do as far as prototyping? I've had some ideas for a strategy game type of thing going around in my head but working out how game mechanics might play out for anything other basic action games seems really intimidating.

Well, start super small. You know you need a movement and control system, probably a scrolling camera unless you're doing a one-screen-large board game sort of deal, a way to print/display your dudes, and possibly wall collision depending on your setup (this would be unnecessary if you were making a game that works like Final Fantasy Tactics, for example, since everything would be based on its position in a grid, which would act as your walls by proxy).

My earliest prototype was the player character walking and jumping along a big black bar to check if you fell through it or not and to make sure the gravity worked as intended. Then, I had to work out how to make the screen center on and follow the player character. After that, hit detection with enemies.

Once you have your core "this technically works like a game," you can start putting in your cosmetic stuff. Of course, there'll be some mechanical things you won't be able to implement or test until you have something cosmetic going already.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Is spritesheetsunday an actual thing or did we just make it up? Either way, here's a sloppy rock dude.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I don't really have a spritesheet - just a messy PSD I use to work on animations, etc. Here are Johnny's updated animation frames (jumping and pushing against a wall weren't in the contest version).

Also, Scholtz!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Spritesheets? Uh... how about moving boxes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN0PRdfThNQ

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
(Kind-of-a-)Spritesheet Sunday!

In Dragon Game, when you don't touch anything for five seconds, of course you do an idle animation. In this animation, Dragon starts whistling. These notes pop out of his head and they spell out part of a song. Astute players will figure out the system while everyone else will think Dragon is spitting rainbow musical notes.

He only whistles poo poo from Japanese games both obscure an ubiquitous (and Smoke Two Joints. And a Hawaiian drinking song).

The full spritesheet is forty-five 51x51 tiles long to accomodate the longest song in his library.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 8, 2012

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

For my Spritesheet Saturday, this is how the story segments are handled, finally put into use as of like twenty minutes ago. I was thinking pretty Ninja Gaiden-ey in concept. Those scribbles in the back change a bit every .25s to give a crayony illusion. I'm considering erasing their edges to make them smooth roundish shapes instead of white rectangles. I might make a in-engine story dealie too, but I'm thinking scripting them might be more trouble than it's worth.

I'd suggest changing the font and the colors, the current combination reminds me of demotivational posters and it doesn't really fit the visual style of the rest of the graphics. Changing the black background to something like white or more of a cream color (like the dragon) might look better, even if you don't choose to frame the image somehow. Centered text might also work better than right aligned text with an indent after every line break.

The typeface is also a little classical in contrast to the game's style and you don't have large blocks of text so a serif font isn't really necessery for legibility either. Children generally read words by reading them letter for letter, which is why a sans-serif font (which has a simpler letter form) is easier for them to read. There are fonts which were designed specifically for children's books like Montesori or Sassoon Primary. They also look pretty sweet, so maybe check those out.

This is all just my lame-art-school-type-design opinion of course. If I can get myself motivated to work on something I've been planning to work on WRT videogames I'll post it ITT so people can pick it apart.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I made a cool bunch of functions called StartFullScreenEffect and RenderFullScreenEffects.

There's a bunch of "Effects" I've created such as "Fade in from colour", "Fade out to colour", "fill screen with colour", and "display image" so far. At any point in the game code you can fire StartFullScreenEffect and pass it a bunch of information and the game will render the effects on-top of normal gameplay.

At the moment it's just doing a "fade in from black" when you load a level, but little things like this really add a lot to the overall presentation.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mug posted:

I made a cool bunch of functions called StartFullScreenEffect and RenderFullScreenEffects.

There's a bunch of "Effects" I've created such as "Fade in from colour", "Fade out to colour", "fill screen with colour", and "display image" so far. At any point in the game code you can fire StartFullScreenEffect and pass it a bunch of information and the game will render the effects on-top of normal gameplay.

At the moment it's just doing a "fade in from black" when you load a level, but little things like this really add a lot to the overall presentation.

That's actually a really cool idea. Do you just have a render queue object that stores everything per frame with z-buffer values? That's the only way I can think of to do something like that, with my relatively limited experience.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HelixFox posted:

I don't really have a spritesheet - just a messy PSD I use to work on animations, etc. Here are Johnny's updated animation frames (jumping and pushing against a wall weren't in the contest version).

Also, Scholtz!

The color separation technique you're using is absolutely brilliant. I never would've thought of doing that to make doing animations a little more comprehensible.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

G-Prime posted:

That's actually a really cool idea. Do you just have a render queue object that stores everything per frame with z-buffer values? That's the only way I can think of to do something like that, with my relatively limited experience.

Well since you asked!

The FullScreenEffects have their own graphics layer they draw onto. There's quite a few layers, and the FSE one draws onto the backBuffer right before the BackBuffer hits the videoBuffer for display to the user.

Every time you call StartFullScreenEffect, one of the things you pass to it is "RenderOrder". You can draw 6 full screen effects at a time onto the FSE buffer, and it will draw them in order of RenderOrder so you can for example display a black screen with 3 images on it and make sure none of the images fall behind the black screen.

edit: For speed purposes, the FSELayer never copies onto the backBuffer if there aren't any effects currently playing. It would be a huge waste or resources to be copying the effects layer onto the backbuffer every frame when there's no content on it. Theres a flag called FullScreenEffectsNeeded that goes TRUE/FALSE depending if there's any effects currently alive.

Mug fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 8, 2012

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mug posted:

Well since you asked!

The FullScreenEffects have their own graphics layer they draw onto. There's quite a few layers, and the FSE one draws onto the backBuffer right before the BackBuffer hits the videoBuffer for display to the user.

Every time you call StartFullScreenEffect, one of the things you pass to it is "RenderOrder". You can draw 6 full screen effects at a time onto the FSE buffer, and it will draw them in order of RenderOrder so you can for example display a black screen with 3 images on it and make sure none of the images fall behind the black screen.

edit: For speed purposes, the FSELayer never copies onto the backBuffer if there aren't any effects currently playing. It would be a huge waste or resources to be copying the effects layer onto the backbuffer every frame when there's no content on it. Theres a flag called FullScreenEffectsNeeded that goes TRUE/FALSE depending if there's any effects currently alive.

I could see that being extremely useful for doing something like pausing gameplay and fading to 50% transparent black and then overlaying multi-character dialogue in an RPG or platformer. Very neat idea!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Well, start super small. You know you need a movement and control system, probably a scrolling camera unless you're doing a one-screen-large board game sort of deal, a way to print/display your dudes, and possibly wall collision depending on your setup (this would be unnecessary if you were making a game that works like Final Fantasy Tactics, for example, since everything would be based on its position in a grid, which would act as your walls by proxy).

My earliest prototype was the player character walking and jumping along a big black bar to check if you fell through it or not and to make sure the gravity worked as intended. Then, I had to work out how to make the screen center on and follow the player character. After that, hit detection with enemies.

Once you have your core "this technically works like a game," you can start putting in your cosmetic stuff. Of course, there'll be some mechanical things you won't be able to implement or test until you have something cosmetic going already.

I was kind of hesitant to start on things like graphics and interface before getting the game mechanics down, it seemed like a better idea to keep them as separated as possible unless I was making an action game. I could be wrong though, the only games I've ever programmed were goofy little arcade style things a long time ago.

I started setting up some test ideas in Processing but I found myself wasting too much time on creating classes and drawing bubble diagrams and poo poo so now I'm experimenting with game mechanics in excel and sheets of graph paper, maybe it will go a bit faster :downs:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

a 16 year old girl posted:

I'd suggest changing the font and the colors, the current combination reminds me of demotivational posters and it doesn't really fit the visual style of the rest of the graphics. Changing the black background to something like white or more of a cream color (like the dragon) might look better, even if you don't choose to frame the image somehow. Centered text might also work better than right aligned text with an indent after every line break.
Awright, thanks for the input dogg. I could probably use a different font, though the only one I'd probably fall back to would be the Mac Helvetica, which is basically Arial with tails.

As far as the black background goes, now, this might be really, really bad practice (I honestly wouldn't know), but it's basically the application's default backdrop--you know, the one that's traditionally Cornflower Blue, but I just changed it to 0/0/0 Black. There are a bunch of to-black transitions (especially between screens and between picture boxes) and it was easier and more resource-efficient than putting a black matte over the background. It would also look really weird to go from like a cream coconut brown to black between every picture, while the picture and text fading to 0/0/0 then coming back up to full visibility looks more natural from my TV production point of view. Like I mentioned, I had in mind stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Yoshi's Island where you have a box with an image on the top half of the screen with the text on black on the bottom half.

quote:

The typeface is also a little classical in contrast to the game's style and you don't have large blocks of text so a serif font isn't really necessery for legibility either. Children generally read words by reading them letter for letter, which is why a sans-serif font (which has a simpler letter form) is easier for them to read.
I could try an alternate, more artsy font, but I wanna make sure it's clear and legible. Picture books are my passion and I spend a lot of time reading them, and I've found that Times or some variant of it is actually the favored font in the genre, from Dr. Seuss to William Steig to, like, Holly Keller. You tend to see non-standard fonts in graphic novels and comic books more than hardcovers and paperbacks, really.

Truth told I'm only specifically using Doulos SIL for the sentimental connection, it's not like I'm actually using Unicode characters haha.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I started setting up some test ideas in Processing but I found myself wasting too much time on creating classes and drawing bubble diagrams and poo poo so now I'm experimenting with game mechanics in excel and sheets of graph paper, maybe it will go a bit faster :downs:
I'm glad I made basic design documents because it helped guide what I was doing once I got the programming part, but pretty much any numbers I wrote down were completely useless, from refresh rate to sprite size to pretty much anything else.

I mean, I'll quote myself:
"move y px for 100ms
move -y px for 100ms
move x px opposite of facing direction for 200ms"
I seriously thought this poo poo counted in ms rather than updates per second

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 8, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

I could try an alternate, more artsy font, but I wanna make sure it's clear and legible. Picture books are my passion and I spend a lot of time reading them, and I've found that Times or some variant of it is actually the favored font in the genre, from Dr. Seuss to William Steig to, like, Holly Keller. You tend to see non-standard fonts in graphic novels and comic books more than hardcovers and paperbacks, really.
If that's your goal, then try and match a picture book style. Right now, those scenes look like typical low-effort indie cutscenes - "let's draw an image and slap a generic font text below it." Picture books don't do that. They mesh the image with the text, often in creative ways, and the text is at the very least visually connected to the associated image.

Fading to black because that's your background color more or less breaks the illusion. You could change the background color to match the on-screen content, you could cross-fade between pages (put one behind the other, fade the front one out, make the pages cover the entire screen) to hide it, etc.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shalinor posted:

Fading to black because that's your background color more or less breaks the illusion. You could change the background color to match the on-screen content, you could cross-fade between pages (put one behind the other, fade the front one out, make the pages cover the entire screen) to hide it, etc.

Well I could demo that. I'll try a sort of a pagey texture and then put hand-drawn stuff over it instead of scanned-and-colored, or maybe just the standalone pages themselves sized to fit the window and see how that works. You're right, I'm forgetting my essentials. I have enough physical pages to support that, at which point the only concern is file size if I go with this method.

Tch, now you got me considering how to do a page-flip animation.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 8, 2012

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

So, in an attempt to keep myself accountable I've started blogging the development process for a game that I've been working on for a few weeks. Although I was a few days in when I started, I basically plan on covering the entire thing. I'm not really going to get into too much detail about the game itself--although it should be quite obvious that it's Link To The Past inspired, based on my dev temp art. However, what I'm interested in is feedback on what kinds of content people would like to see from a development perspective, whether you're a programmer or not, so that I can make future posting better.

http://superitsnotsafe.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=9

Thanks!

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Goon/friend/fellow man the chaos engineand I made a game recently called Irrupt for iOS. It turns out Touch Arcade liked it enough to do a little 9 minute commentary that compares us favorably to Super Hexagon (and is also pretty hilarious as well).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8T6bi0J2HY

Because of that, here's a bunch of promo codes for you guys:
Y7YA37PM9764
3WRTE4RHPXJA
X6L739TA4ATX
YF9YMYXKRWK7
AK4KJ6YTM99F

If you miss a code, you can check it out here, it's only $.99:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/irrupt/id563386824?mt=8

vvvvvvvvv that movie is awesome and everyone should watch it if you are considering indie game making. My only disclaimer is that you probably won't feel like Team Meat did stress-wise until you either A) release something commercial or B) take part in Ludum Dare and go really hard at it (rimshot).

ambushsabre fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 8, 2012

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that Indie Game: The Movie is now available on Netflix instant. Seems like something a lot of people here would enjoy.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

ambushsabre posted:

Because of that, here's a bunch of promo codes for you guys:
Y7YA37PM9764
3WRTE4RHPXJA
X6L739TA4ATX
YF9YMYXKRWK7
AK4KJ6YTM99F

I took AK4KJ6YTM99F, thanks!

Edit: Was tough to get the hang of at first, but then I got in the groove with a high score of 19! And then I realized I sucked compared to everybody else on Game Center.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 8, 2012

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Hmm my company is starting a 48-hours Game jam, I think I will try to register if I can find teammates. They're providing 3 days of Unity/Playmaker training so that even newbies can do something.

Never tried to learn Unity as I didn't like the idea of people requiring a custom client to play anything. But that might be fun.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Senso posted:

Hmm my company is starting a 48-hours Game jam, I think I will try to register if I can find teammates. They're providing 3 days of Unity/Playmaker training so that even newbies can do something.

Never tried to learn Unity as I didn't like the idea of people requiring a custom client to play anything. But that might be fun.

Damnit why am I not in your company! My last 48-hour Gamejam was a complete dud with nothing to show.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Senso posted:

Nobody needs a custom client to play Unity stuff anymore. You can compile to windows and mac and flash (bar some features in flash), but by and large it's amazing because it can compile to any known platform.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ambushsabre posted:

Nobody needs a custom client to play Unity stuff anymore. You can compile to windows and mac and flash (bar some features in flash), but by and large it's amazing because it can compile to any known platform.

Really? Didn't know that. In any case, I will try to get in the training and see if I like it. Unity uses mainly C#, right? Looking quickly at the tutorials on the website, I don't see much info about the programming behind it all.

Senso fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 9, 2012

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Senso posted:

Really? Didn't know that. In any case, I will try to get in the training and see if I like it. Unity uses mainly C#, right? Looking quickly at the tutorials on the website, I don't see much info about the programming behind it all.

I basically write my Unity stuff in pure C# with very little in-editor game building. Once you understand the engine, the world's your oyster from C#.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

ambushsabre posted:

Goon/friend/fellow man the chaos engineand I made a game recently called Irrupt for iOS. It turns out Touch Arcade liked it enough to do a little 9 minute commentary that compares us favorably to Super Hexagon (and is also pretty hilarious as well).

If you miss a code, you can check it out here, it's only $.99:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/irrupt/id563386824?mt=8

I just want to let you know that I tossed .99 you way and play the game, almost without fail, for a few minutes every day during meetings... which is why its so frustrating that there is nothing to progress in the game...

UPDATE IT WITH MORE drat YOU :(

Love,

A fan.