Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hahaha Oates is a moron. I can't remember, did Oates ever play with Hasek? Guy would have had a stroke or something seeing him play goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gunjin posted:

The problem is Holtby was already effective, his career numbers are pretty good, and until Oates tried to force the change this season they were even better:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/04/08/three-thousand-shots-later-braden-holtby-is-still-pretty-awesome/

To add to this, Holtby was significantly better to end the season when he reverted back to his original aggressive style. Even with his lovely start, he finished with a .930 even strength save percentage, good for 8th out of 25 goalies who played 41+ games, tied with Lundqvist.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

It seems Oates is a prime example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

yay we don't have to blame kolzig :unsmith:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

romanowski posted:

yay we don't have to blame kolzig :unsmith:

But we still get to blame our still employed coach.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

burf posted:

Canada's WC roster so far:

Center: Monahan, Turris, Hodgson, Scheifele, Kadri, Bozak
Wing: Brouwer, Burrows, Perron, Ward, Huberdeau

D: Ellis, Methot, Rielly, Gudbranson, Bieksa, Garrison

G: Reimer

One interesting dynamic is that Dave Tippet is gonna be coaching the team, and based on that roster Kyle Turris should probably slot in as the #1 centre. On the other hand, Tippet coaching could also explain this tweet:

No Evander Kane? :(

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

@SportsnetSpec posted:

Media in VAN on Torts alert after meetings with Linden. Rumblings unconfirmed that a decision on his employment could come soon.

:dance:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Oh my god please Linden, please fire Torts

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Linden presser.

"We will not fire Torts..."
:(

"...out of a cannon. We'll still fire him though..."
:D

"...with a catapult!"
Commence the 2014 Vancouver celebration riots.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I don't want vancouver to fire tortarella because I'm scared that the capitals will decide that his no-loving-around attitude is precisely what they've been missing this whole time

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Torts ending up in DC is one of my biggest fears, but I don't think it will happen. I honestly think if he's let go it's going to take a few years in a TV studio or as an assistant or AHL/overseas coach before Torts gets another shot at an NHL head job (if he ever does).

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Gunjin posted:

Torts ending up in DC is one of my biggest fears, but I don't think it will happen. I honestly think if he's let go it's going to take a few years in a TV studio or as an assistant or AHL/overseas coach before Torts gets another shot at an NHL head job (if he ever does).

Vancouver had positive possession and were unlucky, yet I'd still agree on not bringing in Tortorella.

St. Louis Blues prospect Jake Allen wins Goalie of the Year in the AHL.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

romanowski posted:

I don't want vancouver to fire tortarella because I'm scared that the capitals will decide that his no-loving-around attitude is precisely what they've been missing this whole time

to be fair torts would be an improvement over Oates

The bar is, uh, kinda low there, though

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Heaf posted:

Vancouver had positive possession and were unlucky, yet I'd still agree on not bringing in Tortorella.

Early in the year the Canucks were their regular selves. The Sedins were PPG, the defence was solid, goaltending was good and the bottom six wasn't a huge liability. The problem was that the big three in the twins and Kesler got exhausted and collapsed down the stretch, primarily due to a bunch of nagging injuries. I seem to recall early on that the team was close to the top of the league in possession stats, but they sagged over the latter half of the year and were merely average.

Torts would be a great coach if seasons were 40 games long, but he overworks his top guys, openly despises his 4th line and never practices so little problems that might easily be corrected get magnified.

He wasn't completely horrible, he got a lot out of our top guys at the beginning of the year and was a great interview. As the team struggled he became a lightning rod for criticism (along with Gillis) and I don't think he'll ever be able to escape the negative stigma he created. It's probably for the best to let him go and hire some unknown to takeover.

No matter who the GM and coach are, this is Linden's team now and he'll be forever linked to its success or failure. If he's smart he'll hire a couple of good at their job nobodies to take the other roles so that he can use his bank of good grace to absorb any initial growing pains.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Adam Oates wants his team to play homeopathic offense, chiropractic defense, and voodoo magic in the locker room.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I'm interested in what MacT does this summer. Is it the time to flip one of their young forwards for a d, or does he hope ekblad falls to them and fulfills his Nurse-Ekblad fantasy while tanking another season?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

romanowski posted:

This but for Nashville.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

I'm interested in what MacT does this summer. Is it the time to flip one of their young forwards for a d, or does he hope ekblad falls to them and fulfills his Nurse-Ekblad fantasy while tanking another season?

Unfortunately, the Oilers will probably be bad enough to end up with one of Hanafin or Kylington in next year's draft. They'll get their premier defenseman sooner or later

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

whatis posted:

Unfortunately, the Oilers will probably be bad enough to end up with one of Hanafin or Kylington in next year's draft. They'll get their premier defenseman sooner or later

Tough to take them if they're also taking McDavid

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
They're gonna have lots of poo poo-competition next year though. Buffalo (x2 if the Islanders defer their 1st rounder), Vancouver, Nashville, Calgary...a couple surprise teams or two

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

McDavid will save the Canucks!

(who am I kidding we'll pick 3rd :smith:)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rutkowski posted:

Linden presser.

"We will not fire Torts..."
:(

"...out of a cannon. We'll still fire him though..."
:D

"...with a catapult!"
Commence the 2014 Vancouver celebration riots.

Jokes on you, that's how Vancouver does urban renewal

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Oates saying "he made two saves I didn't like" out-stupids anything else I've heard him say and that's pretty steep to say

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
*checks adam oates' employment status*

*logs off*

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I love melnyk using the Hemsky trade as him showing he's "willing to spend"

Ignoring that to make the trade he had to waive Conacher, loan Corvo to another AHL team and make the Oilers retain salary

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

communist kangaroo posted:

*checks adam oates' employment status*

*logs off*

I am considering purchasing isadamoatesstillemployed.com or hasadamoatesbeenfiredyet.com, not sure which tho

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

hasadamoatesbeenfiredyet.com

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
Okay here's a list of coaches

NHL

Peter LaViolette-last coached the Flyers to the playoffs missed playoffs once, was on the US Olympic staff and will coach the US Worlds

Barry Trotz- Only coach in Nashville history, made expansion team perennial playoff team

Claude Noel- Coached the Jets and got fired

Kevin Dineen- Coached the Florida Panthers, was fired, guided Canadian Women to Olympic Gold

Ron Rolston- ahaha this guy's going back to the AHL if he's lucky

Phil Housley- Predators assistant coach won Gold in 2013 with US World Junior squad

I don't know any other assistants...

AHL

Willie Desjardins- Texas Stars HC has lead the team to two straight seasons as Western Conference regular season champions and best record in AHL this year, 12-13 Coach of the Year

Jeff Blashill- Lead Grand Rapids to the Calder Cup Championship in 2013, contention for 2 division titles, reigning coach of the year

Brad Larsen- Lead his Springfield Falcons to two consecutive division titles, young at 37

John Hynes- WBS Pens head coach has always had team in playoffs, would join a coaching tree including Bylsma,Todd Richards, Therrien

Luke Richardson- Binghamton Senators Coach has team contending again for a division title

Keith McCambridge- IceCaps coach started strong in 11-12 and has rebounded from poor second season with impressive third

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
Are the other rosters equal in talent? :staredog:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
As a Leafs fan, having the goalies be Reimer/Scrivens is pretty funny.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Pretty sure thats Scrivens/Reimer mate. He had that one good game and he plays for Kevin Lowe's team.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
my team is bad because the flyers aren't going to win in MSG in the next decade

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Hand Knit posted:

As a Leafs fan, having the goalies be Reimer/Scrivens is pretty funny.

Gallows humor.

On the subject of Torts: gently caress Torts. The best possible interpretation of his career would read, "he is a 50/50 shot of either the playoffs, or your team is a steaming burrito dump".

A kind person would attribute the success rate to intent, rather than the statistical noise associated with a thousand howling baboons and their type writers.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Watching the way all these playoff teams are producing goals... really reinforces just how terrible the Devils were at doing it this season.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Can someone explain to me why the Oilers are a bad team?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Management. 100% piss poor GMing and lovely management.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Management and coaching staff are former Oilers players who played without helmets. No incentive to be better b/c the owner has a big boner for the 80s.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Bad management, bad coaching, bad player development, no defense, and (up until the second half of this year) terrible goaltending.

But Veskit is right, bad management is the most egregious problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

having 5 different coaches in eight years or whatever really sucks, also. Also poor asset management. Also Kevin Lowe is a spiteful little prick who hosed up trades and deals by being angry, making the team look really lovely from a player prospective before it was even terrible at hockey!

• Locked thread