Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Vahakyla posted:

Hide your wives, invite your boyfriends!
We are playing DCS tomorrow.

Bit late for me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Very helpful thanks!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
^ Its purpose is to make people you should be able to see normally with no labels visible, whilst making the unrealistic stuff like look through your cockpit at planes more difficult.

(unless that's what you were pointing out :doh:)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

WHAT: DCS Coop Mission
WHEN: 28th May, Wednesday, Time 2100 EST, 1800 PST
WHERE: Camping the Stairs Mumble, information in OP
WITH: Sweaty goons but you can invite your non-goon friends, too.

Cool. I can most likely take part in this.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

mlmp08 posted:

Cool. I can most likely take part in this.

Too late :(

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Heliosicle posted:

^ Its purpose is to make people you should be able to see normally with no labels visible, whilst making the unrealistic stuff like look through your cockpit at planes more difficult.

(unless that's what you were pointing out :doh:)

I was just showing what it does for anybody else interested, nothing sarky.

I rather like being able to vaguely see it through the cockpit, which sorta makes up for not having 6dof.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Daimo posted:

I was just showing what it does for anybody else interested, nothing sarky.

I rather like being able to vaguely see it through the cockpit, which sorta makes up for not having 6dof.

Yeah there's no way to have cockpit obscure labels unfortunately (you can see default labels through the cockpit too), at least with the dot you have to be actively looking at instead of having it jump out at you like "!!! BLUE F-15C 6.2NM ENFIELD 4-2 !!!". You can try playing with the colors to make it a bit darker (lower numbers = darker), but if it's too dark then it looks too weird against the sky.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Time zones :argh:

I would love to join in and SEAD some missle slingin' baddies, but that's about 2.5 hrs into my working day. I probably would have remembered to turn on the ETS as well!

Last night I spent 20 minutes flying above cloud to the target area trying to get a radar target for some sweet anti-radar justice. Shot down a bad right over it too (turns out he was actually a good). Proceed to drop through cloud and get destroyed by waiting AA batteries - someone forgot to press 'I'.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah I have horrible times trying to spot anything without labels on that's not on my radar.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I suck and I haven't had time to play recently, sorry Vaha I shoot you down every time you ask :(
Hopefully somehow I won't be busy tomorrow and I'll jump in and shoot some blues tomorrow.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah I have horrible times trying to spot anything without labels on that's not on my radar.

Shame only the A10 is really JTAC compatible. They're a godsend really :(

Could always include a slot or two for the guys who bought CA? Player JTAC's work totally fine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Shame only the A10 is really JTAC compatible. They're a godsend really :(

Could always include a slot or two for the guys who bought CA? Player JTAC's work totally fine.

They're all JTAC compatible. You have a pad of paper right?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes this is a modern air combat sim.

I'm not being a dick, that is the point.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Vahakyla posted:

One day they'll have a plane that has such a good autopilot that you can just sit there and play with your iPad app to target pixels and press the kill button.

Then be like "Plane. I wish to land." at your monitor and it goes back to base.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Sounds like the F-15 honestly.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I know a few DCS purists that will insist that its the best flight sim around but refuse to even try other sims because you can't press the little buttons in the cockpit while the plane automatically flies itself to the next mission waypoint so you can focus on more important things like not looking out the window.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Thief posted:

One day they'll have a plane that has such a good autopilot that you can just sit there and play with your iPad app to target pixels and press the kill button.

The French Navy Dassault Rafale allows voice commands for pretty much everything else besides launching weapons or using the gun.
It does allow arming weapons and selecting them, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thief posted:

Hmm from the other flight sim thread:

Dandywalken posted:

So... DCS: MQ-9 Reaper could be a neat idea, I think :P

Dynamic campaign: Raid ALL SORTS of weddings!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The eject button makes you jump out of the command connex to get a to-go plate from the chow hall.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mike-o posted:

The eject button makes you jump out of the command connex to get a to-go plate from the chow hall.

One of the funniest briefings I've ever received was Brits telling us how much of a hardship tour it was to live in Vegas for 6 months flying drones. They were talking to a crowd that included people who'd no poo poo been blown up and woken up on another continent on life support.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The tea is horrible in Vegas.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

imperialparadox posted:

The tea is horrible in Vegas.

Nothing good comes from having a string on your teabag.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I found a nice training mission/companion document for the Ka-50: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/

If you don't have a second monitor, just open the companion site (or PDF) on your tablet or something.

It's a basic "fly and shoot things" guide that skips a lot of detail, but will get you flying and shooting more quickly than the training missions. Put the mission in ...\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircrafts\Ka-50\Missions\EN\Single\

I'm digging the ABRIS. I was messing with the waypoint/map editing and that seems like it'll be immensely useful in multiplayer, once I get a feel for using it on the fly.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
So I was messing around with Nvidia Shadowplay and threw together a quick video tutorial on dogfighting, specifically the One Circle Fight. Hope this is helpful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMcM3r2LZzs

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 28, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pht5DFdEgBU

I'm pretty hyped :parrot:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Red lights on blue paint looks really cool.

Fun fact: R-Shift + H cycles HUD colors. Make sure you set yours to red when playing Russian planes.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

This is probably the most interesting module since the a-10, I can't wait.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Vahakyla posted:

WHAT: DCS Coop Mission
WHEN: 28th May, Wednesday, Time 2100 EST, 1800 PST
WHERE: Camping the Stairs Mumble, information in OP
WITH: Sweaty goons but you can invite your non-goon friends, too.
Great - I just re-did the anti-radar training so I can fly SEAD in the SU-25 instead of just taking out Shilkas with rocket pods like yesterday! I may be half an hour late for the start, though.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

:dong:
Daaaaaaaaaaamn. I'm so glad that didn't drop out of existence.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Actual pilots that fly these things all have better than 20/20 vision and have trained about 4 years on spotting aircraft before they even get to fly the aircraft that are in the game (well, P-51 training was different). Never mind our computers likely not able to draw distant aircraft properly.

(Now someone is going to post the class D simulator they use with the game)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Hmm from the other flight sim thread:

You mean DCS: Ender's Game?

(If you get to repost it I get to re tell my joke!)

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

Actual pilots that fly these things all have better than 20/20 vision and have trained about 4 years on spotting aircraft before they even get to fly the aircraft that are in the game (well, P-51 training was different). Never mind our computers likely not able to draw distant aircraft properly.

(Now someone is going to post the class D simulator they use with the game)

DCS should really do smart scaling like falcon does. It would improve the game so much.

I've tried various labels but it just makes units stand out way too much for me.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Reminder that today is some DCS.
Starting at 9PM EST, 6PM PST.
If you plan to fly Su25Ts, the required skill level is zero!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post430213709

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ka-50 flyers, if you haven't yet mapped "collective brake" to something you can hold every time you're changing altitude, do so! This is the key that sets the altitude for the autopilot's Altitude Hold. Here's a writeup I found on the DCS forum:

quote:

The collective brake works exactly like the trimmer on the cyclic, but where the trimmer on the cyclic is for the PITCH, ROLL, and HEADING channels of the autopilot, the collective brake is for the ALTITUDE channel. And just like the other channels, the autopilot only has 20% authority over the controls.

An example of using altitude hold in normal flight would go like this:

1. Flying along straight and level, you decide you want to change your altitude.
2. Press the collective brake button (F) and hold it.
3. Adjust your collective to begin a climb or a descent (still holding the collective brake button).
4. Arrive at your desired altitude and adjust the collective to halt your climb or descent (STILL holding that button!)
5. Let go of the button for the collective brake (after you've stabilized at the new desired altitude).

At this point, the altitude channel will do its best to keep you at that altitude (either barometric or radar altitude). Remember that your autopilot can only do so much (20%), so drastic changes in the cyclic (or drastic changes in altitude if using radar altitude hold) will cause the altitude hold channel to work improperly.

In practice, this means that if you don't use the collective brake button, you'll be fighting the autopilot the whole time that it's on, instead of having it help you. Think about if you turn on the bank/pitch/yaw autopilot and then you never hit the "trim" button again. The helicopter becomes a stupid pain in the rear end to fly because you want to go one direction and the autopilot wants to go another. If you never hit the collective brake, then you're doing the same, except it's loving with your autopilot's altitude hold; you want to go up or down, but the autopilot wants to do the opposite.

IRL this isn't a problem, because the pilot must squeeze the collective brake to move the collective, but in the sim, you can move the collective without releasing the brake, and for some reason they didn't program it so that the brake automatically gets triggered when you move your throttle :shrug:.

Long story short, bind collective brake (default "f") to a button you can press every single time you move your collective, hold it until you stabilize your altitude, and your Black Shark will be easier to fly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone still have one of those 60% off DCS coupons, I have a strong urge to upgrade my BS1 to Black Shark 2 and/or buy the Huey, but $50 is outrageous

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fredrik1 posted:

DCS should really do smart scaling like falcon does. It would improve the game so much.

I've tried various labels but it just makes units stand out way too much for me.

Christ, agreed 1000%. Like... I can get by with just using red/blue dots, but even then it feels sorta lame.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Does anyone still have one of those 60% off DCS coupons, I have a strong urge to upgrade my BS1 to Black Shark 2 and/or buy the Huey, but $50 is outrageous

Between the nonsense you have to deal with to install BS2, and the codes from the DCS store not working in Steam until like a week later, I just said "gently caress it" and bought BS2 instead of upgrading.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
This is sort of off-topic but how is Falcon BMS and how does it compare to DCS? In particular, how's the availability of playable co-op content? I mainly wanna fly planes and shoot things with a friend or two and my eternal problem with DCS is it's a bitch to actually find stuff to play and I don't particularly feel like making my own.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Falcon 4.0 has one amazing feature that no game Ive ever played has featured, and I never foresee happening again.

You're in your F16 being a fucker, and eat an SA-13 and are going down. You call in to your base, give em your coordinates while you're riding 'er in, then tell em to launch search and rescue. You punch out.

You start another mission (dynamic campaign of course) and are going to another target for whatever reason. You boredly cycle through the aircraft in-theatre to see how shits going, and YOU FIND THE loving BLACKHAWK GOING TO RESCUE YOUR DUDE FROM THE PREVIOUS MISSON. Just buzzing in there to do his task. The best dynamic campaign experience is in the small things.

You'll never find a better campaign than Falcon BMS. Co-op though DCS may be better honestly. I've never heard a good thing said about Falcon's MP stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Falcon was built to be an amazing game first.
The clickable cockpits and all those realistic systems were modded into it afterwards.

Companies often make flight simulators and forget the game.

In Falcon, there was a solid game and the simulator was built into it.

Some people jokingly call it Falcon DCS, and I can see why. Using the clickable cockpit is pretty much the same.

Me and Burno have been warming the game and the mod up a bit and done some tests. Maybe we would have interest in making a group that plays the campaign every week?