Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's cool to read a billion pages of lovely YA novels "to see how bad it goes" instead of using that time to do something that would give you personal improvement or actual satisfaction.

Actually, my research project is intended to be a productive use of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arivia posted:

Didn't you get really mad and threaten to doxx me and Ettin and say you were leaving Trad Games forever? And now you're back to be ironically insulting in a thread you regularly get banned from for shitposting.

Lol.

Ahaha what? That sounds like an awesome story.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The trouble with lovely fantasy novels is that they're forgettable, so I don't remember them. At least, not the ones I read 20+ years ago. I suppose other than the sword of truth novels, there's the stephen R donaldson white gold wielder novels, but I only ever actually read the first one far enough to get extremely pissed off at the protagonist committing rape and then the author apparently just blowing that off and never mentioning it again or having it be important or impactful to the main character.

There's also some authors my mom and sister read but I never could quite stomach, like Janny Wurts and Kate Elliot.

But for some light fantasy reading that's actually decent? How about Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, or Moorcock's Elric novels, any of CJ Cherryh's fantasy novels, or Robin Hobb's stuff.

Or if you haven't read Robert E. Howard, by god you owe it to yourself.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

How about some of Glen Cook's non-Black Company stuff ? The Dread Empire series is solid; it even got finished after all these years. The standalone Swordbearer is a nice deconstruction of wish fulfillment fantasies. The Instrumentalities series might not get finished, but there's some really good stuff in the four books already out.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Libertad! posted:

As someone who's enjoying Darkseid's Sword of Truth thread, I was wondering if folks here can recommend me some lovely, cliched-in-a-bad-way fantasy novels.

This is entirely for research purposes.

Seconding Eragon or anything by Patrick Rothfuss, whose head is so far up his own rear end I'm surprised he hasn't collapsed into a stinky bearded butthole singularity.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Lightning Lord posted:

Most GGs are pigfuck ignorant and those who aren't are taking advantage of that. Yeah, like David Aurini, aka the high priest of the Church of Satan.

Guys, we really need to follow this person who looks like what would happen if Kane from Command and Conquer really let himself go.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Reene posted:

anything by Patrick Rothfuss
How so? I've not read anything of his but I had heard the occasional person talk it up years ago, so I'm curious as to why you don't think as highly of it as they did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would actually like recommendations for YA supernatural stuff that's decent, since I'm playing Monsterhearts and planning to run it.

It's so weird to me that this stuff that I was into in middle school is super huge now. I remember Fear Street, John Bellairs' series, The Darkangel books...

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

NGDBSS posted:

How so? I've not read anything of his but I had heard the occasional person talk it up years ago, so I'm curious as to why you don't think as highly of it as they did.

The main character is a Mary Sue autodidact who is good at literally everything Just Because and every other character in the novel exists to prop up this awesome author self-insert. In the second book he gets seduced by an ancient predatory sex goddess (who speaks like a child incidentally) that is infamous for literally loving every man who has ever encountered her to death and he impresses her so much with his sex skills (as a virgin!) that she teaches him all her kung fu-esque sex moves (they literally have names like "thousand hands") and lets him go. This goes on for about 50-100 pages. I poo poo you not.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Arivia posted:

Didn't you get really mad and threaten to doxx me and Ettin and say you were leaving Trad Games forever? And now you're back to be ironically insulting in a thread you regularly get banned from for shitposting.

Lol.

Reported for importing drama.

E: Also seriously man, how is recommending people to try to get in touch with better cultural goods and get useful knowledge instead of consuming hours reading tripe out of spite for the author being 'ironically insulting'? You have a weird obsession with me, and honestly you should grow out of it.

Libertad! posted:

Actually, my research project is intended to be a productive use of my time.

Then, carry on my wayward son.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 23, 2014

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I agree with Plutonis (words I never thought I'd type). Its probably not worth your time to engage with most bad fantasy novels.

When I was an idiot kid I was really into Icewind Dale and read a bunch of forgotten realms books. Then I bought one and it turned out to be all about a hero trying to convince a king he raped his daughter so that the princess wouldn't get in trouble for having premarital sex. Or something. Also somebody was getting raped in hell over and over. Maybe it was Drizzt or some other rear end in a top hat.

I think it was called Spine of the World and it was bad enough that it got me to stop reading lovely fantasy novels, especially RPG tie-in novels.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reported for importing drama.

E: Also seriously man, how is recommending people to try to get in touch with better cultural goods and get useful knowledge instead of consuming hours reading tripe out of spite for the author being 'ironically insulting'? You have a weird obsession with me, and honestly you should grow out of it.

I'm just tired of your driveby shitposting. It's really boring, like you are in entirety. And it's not really importing drama when you threatened to doxx a mod over them not treating you like god's gift to gaming. You're a literal child: you scream and throw tantrums and make messes, and then you cry when others don't treat you nicely for being a gross homophobic racist cancer.

Error 404 posted:

Ahaha what? That sounds like an awesome story.

Yeah, it's pretty funny. So as I'm sure you're aware, no one here liked Plutonis because he is a racist, homophobic, transphobic shitposter without exception. The chat thread where Winson handed over modding to Ettin, Ettin also gave Plutonis permission to post in the chat threads again - with the understanding Plutonis was being watched and would be probated for shitposting if he did it again. Plutonis does a little shitposting but nothing really terrible, gets tapped on the nose but nothing big.

A month or so later, Plutonis jumps in and makes the next chat thread. That's fine. Then he starts shitposting up a storm and Ettin probates him for it. He gets mad, yells about how nobody in Trad Games wants him, and shitposts a lot more. Then he goes and whines about he's oppressed in QCS, to the point of comparing his "oppression" by the TG people to Rosa Parks. Like him getting probated for six hours was literally equivalent to the treatment of black people in America, apparently. He says he'll never post in Trad Games again, closes his chat thread, and stops.

As you may also be aware, TG has a number of IRC channels. Plutonis over the last year and change has systematically been kicked out of all of them by being an insulting bigot to others and being "ironically" oppressive in a variety of ways. #Persona was the last major one he was removed from, after he insulted an op's gay identity to their face. poo poo like that. Plutonis was also in a number of smaller channels for specific games, one of which I am channel admin in. He hops in one day and starts being homophobic and I've had enough of his poo poo, so I kickban him.

Then he goes way off the handle.

Here's what he said:

pre:
<Plutonis> but hey it's cool, considering you and your gang never answer 
or even recognize any sincere criticism that i make, you wonder why there's trolling
<Plutonis> good loving luck. if you and ettin want to bring me down, don't complain when i fight back
<Plutonis> watch your loving back
<Plutonis> you can find a lot of stuff online
So yeah, Plutonis is literally the mad child angry he's facing consequences for being an idiot little poo poo. And now he's back! And he should just go away before we all laugh in his face again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Honestly, what is your problem? You stalk me from place to place, tries to get people riled up against me even though I tried to get out of your way and now accuses me of threats i didn't even made? What's next, a helldump thread? If you are going to be like this, very well then, I'm leaving.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And here I thought everyone did the smart thing and put their ignore list to use.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao, 'threats i didn't even make'. yeah sure. trying to flip it around doesn't work well when there's multiple entire groups of people who know better.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Arivia posted:

I'm just tired of your driveby shitposting. It's really boring, like you are in entirety. And it's not really importing drama when you threatened to doxx a mod over them not treating you like god's gift to gaming. You're a literal child: you scream and throw tantrums and make messes, and then you cry when others don't treat you nicely for being a gross homophobic racist cancer.

Yeah, it's pretty funny. So as I'm sure you're aware, no one here liked Plutonis because he is a racist, homophobic, transphobic shitposter without exception. The chat thread where Winson handed over modding to Ettin, Ettin also gave Plutonis permission to post in the chat threads again - with the understanding Plutonis was being watched and would be probated for shitposting if he did it again. Plutonis does a little shitposting but nothing really terrible, gets tapped on the nose but nothing big.

A month or so later, Plutonis jumps in and makes the next chat thread. That's fine. Then he starts shitposting up a storm and Ettin probates him for it. He gets mad, yells about how nobody in Trad Games wants him, and shitposts a lot more. Then he goes and whines about he's oppressed in QCS, to the point of comparing his "oppression" by the TG people to Rosa Parks. Like him getting probated for six hours was literally equivalent to the treatment of black people in America, apparently. He says he'll never post in Trad Games again, closes his chat thread, and stops.

As you may also be aware, TG has a number of IRC channels. Plutonis over the last year and change has systematically been kicked out of all of them by being an insulting bigot to others and being "ironically" oppressive in a variety of ways. #Persona was the last major one he was removed from, after he insulted an op's gay identity to their face. poo poo like that. Plutonis was also in a number of smaller channels for specific games, one of which I am channel admin in. He hops in one day and starts being homophobic and I've had enough of his poo poo, so I kickban him.

Here's what he said:

pre:
or even recognize any sincere criticism that i make, you wonder why there's trolling
<Plutonis> good loving luck. if you and ettin want to bring me down, don't complain when i fight back
So yeah, Plutonis is literally the mad child angry he's facing consequences for being an idiot little poo poo. And now he's back! And he should just go away before we all laugh in his face again.

I didn't read this post, but Plutonis is my friend. Farewell.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arivia posted:

Here's what he said:

pre:

Holy poo poo. :stonk:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Anyone here play Pathfinder?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I hear it's popular in Imp Zone.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Honestly, what is your problem?

Try reading her post. Could clarify things.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Error 404 posted:

I hear it's popular in Imp Zone.

Not really, even though it's a great game.

Gao posted:

Try reading her post. Could clarify things.

I skimmed it and it seems like a bad post, so I understand if he doesn't want to read it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Man, what a perfect time to rediscover the chat thread! :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I'm thinking about getting the Beginner's Box just to get the battle mat and a bunch of minis.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm thinking about getting the Beginner's Box just to get the battle mat and a bunch of minis.

There have to be cheaper ways to get things like that without soiling yourself with pathfinder.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I skimmed it and it seems like a bad post, so I understand if he doesn't want to read it.

Nah, it was pretty correct, and good.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Asymmetrikon posted:

Nah, it was pretty correct, and good.

No evidence.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Funny how within minutes of somebody saying anything about plutonis, there's always someone to defend him who never posts in trad games otherwise (except effectronica)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Beginner's Box is good - certainly better than the 5e one - but if you just want minis and a battle mat, you can do better. Pathfinder Pawns are big boxes of stand up card miniatures for each big book they do, and they also sell actual battlemats.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Error 404 posted:

Funny how within minutes of somebody saying anything about plutonis, there's always someone to defend him who never posts in trad games otherwise (except effectronica)

Get this: sometimes when someone says something stupid other people come and laugh at it, here on the comedy message board :wth:

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

gently caress yeah I do.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Widestancer posted:

Get this: sometimes when someone says something stupid other people come and laugh at it, here on the comedy message board :wth:

gently caress yeah I do.

It's a really bad post haha. As for the Beginner Box, it seems like a good deal but maybe not if you're getting it just for the mat & minis.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Plutonis probably did something dumb and other people probably did really dumb stuff too but at the end of the day it's great to come and laugh at it especially when people take stuff like gaming way too seriously instead of just enjoying it.

If people aren't thin skinned then it's not as hard to push buttons which means that things don't get as funny so please never ever change and never stop being offended by stuff like analogies to Rosa Parks of all things.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

It's a really bad post haha. As for the Beginner Box, it seems like a good deal but maybe not if you're getting it just for the mat & minis.

Yeah, I like to make my own minis anyway out of cool little figures I find at yard sales and online. Also using cheap sets of little green army men rocks which is what we do when we do random games in our group.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Widestancer posted:

Yeah, I like to make my own minis anyway out of cool little figures I find at yard sales and online. Also using cheap sets of little green army men rocks which is what we do when we do random games in our group.

When I played IRL games I would just use a battlemat I got from a game store a long time ago and use coins and stuff for the minis.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm counting how many times the word homophobic was used in Arivia's post and I think I can make a drinking game or something out of it even though I haven't done that since my sorority days.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we all know that plutonis complained about being called out on being a brokebrain shithead in the nite crew thread, but if it helps he's legit a brokebrain shithead and briefly coming in to go Um Actually He's Cool And Good And This Post Is False doesn't really change that he's repeatedly been driven out of multiple groups for being one of the most insufferable people in existence. congrats on coddling a dumbshit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Widestancer posted:

Also using cheap sets of little green army men rocks which is what we do when we do random games in our group.

This is what I'm using right now. I guess I could buy just a battlemat for now.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

we all know that plutonis complained about being called out on being a brokebrain shithead in the nite crew thread, but if it helps he's legit a brokebrain shithead and briefly coming in to go Um Actually He's Cool And Good And This Post Is False doesn't really change that he's repeatedly been driven out of multiple groups for being one of the most insufferable people in existence. congrats on coddling a dumbshit.

You're definitely acting like an insufferable dumbshit here though and possibly a brokebrain regardless of how Plutonis might have been acting.

Pretty epic poo poo there.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is what I'm using right now. I guess I could buy just a battlemat for now.

What can be fun are placemats that you can find; sometimes you can get a themed one that works well. If you have a really big group I've also used one of those rugs that has stuff on it like roads and houses and we made up fun stuff to fit it.

It's cheap and it works well if you play with people who have a shred of humor in them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mmm, Yes, Actually It Is I Who Has Been Owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Mmm, Yes, Actually It Is I Who Has Been Owned

Yeah, actually. Good job. I didn't even have to do anything.

• Locked thread