Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My neighborhood in Brooklyn has 6 gyms within 2 blocks of my apartment, all of which are claimed by 120-200 CP trainers. Going to maybe go to the park later where there are 4 stops and a whole lot of bushes and pop an incense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I can reach a pokestop from my bedroom, neat. A short bike ride nets me 6 more stops, and 3 gyms. Time to own some nerds.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I, too, made the fool mistake of signing in with PTC the first time and played around for a while this morning, but have been unable to authenticate my login for hours now. I finally pressed the Google button just to see what it would do, and it started right up with what looked like a new game.

So... does this mean if you use the second login type, it starts you over? Is this like a different file than my PTC login, in that I'll still be able to get back onto my old level of progress when/if the servers come back up, or did I basically delete my game just now? Does anyone know?

So far this whole thing seems equal parts fun and frustrating. I'm also not sure how well my phone is picking up movement-- sometimes my trainer on screen will randomly start walking (in place) when I'm sitting still, then when I start walking she stops, sometimes she turns around and faces a random direction so I don't know where I actually need to move in relation to the map/Pokemon on screen. It's weird.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Popped an incense and everything poo poo out immediately after.

Great.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Dang, servers go down right as I start my walk.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Is there any way to get background buzzing and poo poo without wearing a loving pokemon bracelet

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

There are several gyms in the area I haven't visited and have no pokemon posted at, but are controlled by my team. Do I get bonuses for them?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Parasol Prophet posted:

I, too, made the fool mistake of signing in with PTC the first time and played around for a while this morning, but have been unable to authenticate my login for hours now. I finally pressed the Google button just to see what it would do, and it started right up with what looked like a new game.

So... does this mean if you use the second login type, it starts you over? Is this like a different file than my PTC login, in that I'll still be able to get back onto my old level of progress when/if the servers come back up, or did I basically delete my game just now? Does anyone know?

So far this whole thing seems equal parts fun and frustrating. I'm also not sure how well my phone is picking up movement-- sometimes my trainer on screen will randomly start walking (in place) when I'm sitting still, then when I start walking she stops, sometimes she turns around and faces a random direction so I don't know where I actually need to move in relation to the map/Pokemon on screen. It's weird.

You can sign out and sign back in (in theory) with your PTC creds and it'll load that account. Basically the two are separate, and never the twain shall meet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not convinced this is worth playing yet. I tried it for a while and then uninstalled it. No server issues or anything, but just porting over the portals from Ingress wasn't a good idea. They really need to rethink how players in less-occupied areas are going to experience the game. You can't submit things to become new Pokestops yet, and the mechanics being super shallow don't help, either. I love it as a concept and it might get really good in the future, but I'm concerned about the fact that a. they literally just reskinned existing portals and data from Ingress and b. it's full of terrible F2P and IAP mechanics.

I would definitely pay full price for this game on 3DS, designed to actually be playable wherever you are.

The battery issues and inability to run it in the background don't help either.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not convinced this is worth playing yet. I tried it for a while and then uninstalled it. No server issues or anything, but just porting over the portals from Ingress wasn't a good idea. They really need to rethink how players in less-occupied areas are going to experience the game. You can't submit things to become new Pokestops yet, and the mechanics being super shallow don't help, either. I love it as a concept and it might get really good in the future, but I'm concerned about the fact that a. they literally just reskinned existing portals and data from Ingress and b. it's full of terrible F2P and IAP mechanics.

I would definitely pay full price for this game on 3DS, designed to actually be playable wherever you are.

The battery issues and inability to run it in the background don't help either.

Another reason to never live in rural areas

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

They really need to rethink how players in less-occupied areas are going to experience the game.

Try not living 2 miles from your nearest neighbor, farmgoon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Try not living 2 miles from your nearest neighbor, farmgoon.
I live in a town of 30,000 people next to a town of 40,000, both of which are home to major state universities. But since the Pokestops are just Ingress portals, the only thing that matters is how many people in your area played Ingress.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's also just a stupid response to a pretty major design problem. If they want about half the country's kids to be able to enjoy this game they're going to have to fix it. It also makes little sense not to have Pokestops in out-of-the-way places. That fits the tone of Pokemon (sending players off on an adventure) and it fits the game's mechanics of rewarding you for taking a journey. There's no reason for it not to work just fine in a rural or suburban area.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FactsAreUseless posted:

I live in a town of 30,000 people next to a town of 40,000, both of which are home to major state universities. But since the Pokestops are just Ingress portals, the only thing that matters is how many people in your area played Ingress.

You can submit locations to Niantic to become portals in Ingress. Not sure if there's a way to do it from Pokemon, but it's worth a try. You might have to be your area's ambassador if you want to get the parks and stuff registered.

On the bright side, you can catch Pokemon basically anywhere because they just spawn in. I caught a Nidoran in the men's room at the office lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

You can submit locations to Niantic to become portals in Ingress. Not sure if there's a way to do it from Pokemon, but it's worth a try.
There's not yet. That's why I think this game could become good in the future: right now they've just built it on the skeleton of another game, without giving any real thought to how it should work as its own game. Once they do that (assuming they actually do that) I think it could be really good. But dismissing design issues as just being "well, you can't play it where you are" is dumb.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Since there are 0 Pokemon where I work I decided to use a incense before my walk and first Pokemon found was a CP 192 Pinsir, I will call that a win. After that servers went down and I cannot log back in. Will it continue to use my incense timer if I am not logged in?

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

deadly_pudding posted:

You can submit locations to Niantic to become portals in Ingress. Not sure if there's a way to do it from Pokemon, but it's worth a try. You might have to be your area's ambassador if you want to get the parks and stuff registered.

On the bright side, you can catch Pokemon basically anywhere because they just spawn in. I caught a Nidoran in the men's room at the office lol

Top google result for trying to find out how submit a new location for Ingress said submissions have been closed since last year.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Sirbloody posted:

Since there are 0 Pokemon where I work I decided to use a incense before my walk and first Pokemon found was a CP 192 Pinsir, I will call that a win. After that servers went down and I cannot log back in. Will it continue to use my incense timer if I am not logged in?

Yes

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
So, what faction are we all going into? We should organise this poo poo.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Nephzinho posted:

There are several gyms in the area I haven't visited and have no pokemon posted at, but are controlled by my team. Do I get bonuses for them?

you can fight your own teams' gyms but if you win you will not boot them off; instead the gym gains prestige and you gain player exp, so its worthwhile

Sirbloody posted:

i believe so, yes, rip

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I am trying to get NYC based players into Red.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bird Law posted:

Top google result for trying to find out how submit a new location for Ingress said submissions have been closed since last year.

What can I say, I haven't played Ingress since last year :v:

I just know that a lot of people used to cheese it to make pet portals within range of their living room couch, or where they work haha.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

we're all spread out all over the world, there's no viable way to organize this outside of local-area meetups

also, you can't change teams (yet) so that makes it harder

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
San Diego should be blue, that's all I'm sayin. SoCal in general really.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nephzinho posted:

I'm probably going red in upstate NY. Some Ingress people my girlfriend had a falling-out with are going yellow, so we're aiming to not be on their team.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the reason Ingress was built the way it was is so portals would be places that players would be encouraged to go. The current joke is that Pokemon Go is a trick to make everyone go to church, but they were meant to get players visiting museums, art installations, parks, landmarks, national monuments, etc. in the name of the game as well as getting out of the house and walking around. Transferring the portal list to Pokemon Go was probably the fastest way to get the first batch of PokeStops out, as well as serving the same purpose of getting players to visit these locations.

It's probably also easier and safer for players if they didn't just randomly generate PokeStops along roads or in fields or something, because you don't want people wandering off into the forest at night or trying to play on the side of a busy highway. Almost all the portals/PokeStops are in public places that are usually safe to be in.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A small part of the beta process was the ability to point out pokestops in unsafe locations. On top of railroad tracks and such. Places that still have stops in military bases and stuff probably did not have players in their area.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Almost all the portals/PokeStops are in public places that are usually safe to be in.

I see you never encountered portals located on private property or government property or that one that you can only get via helicopter

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

I picked Yellow since there doesn't seem to be many where I am at, I have seen 4 red gyms close to where I work and 1 blue.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Literally every stop near me except one is a church. And that one is inaccessible.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I know a girl who almost got arrested one time because she was parked in a church parking lot at like 3 in the morning reclaiming a portal. Ingress people are insane, and I expect Pokemongo people to be even more insane. Look forward to some entertaining reddit posts, I guess.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Rafza posted:

we're all spread out all over the world, there's no viable way to organize this outside of local-area meetups

also, you can't change teams (yet) so that makes it harder

Fair enough, I guess I'll just pick Red because I have no other ideas.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
When will someone make the inevitable hardmode ARG where every portal/Pokestop risks a trespassing charge

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
So are we definitively seeing less Pokemon spawn in areas without pokestops? I am out of town for the week and staying in Nearby Not Super Huge College Town which was a good ingress spot so there are loads of spots and gyms. I haven't really been going to them though on account of just having my wisdom teeth removed so I have just been sitting in this apartment catching Pokemon and was able to get lvl 5 within 24 hours even with all the server down time (and maybe only visiting 3-4 spots too and from doctors appointments and stuff). I presume the Pokemon just spawn near you if you move some amount (I've been abusing the gps drifting). Is this not viable for people in less ingress populated areas?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I see you never encountered portals located on private property or government property or that one that you can only get via helicopter

Pokemon Go's beta involved reporting and deleting those kinds of portals. I know there's still one at the wreck of the Alkimos off the coat of Perth, which is safe and legal to approach but still requires a boat (or very strong swimming ability and a waterproof case).

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I'll join you in Red. CCCPokemon.

Anecdote: I grabbed this last night right when it went live, for my birthday no less, but the servers were slammed. When I woke up this morning I went to make my character but when I went to name him I couldn't get any of the names I wanted, so out of frustration I typed "VirtualSlavery" and wouldn't you know it that went through. So now I'm VirtualSlavery in a kids game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Looks like Florida is back up and running.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

deadly_pudding posted:

Ingress people my girlfriend had a falling-out with

This sounds like the gooniest loving thing ever. Please tell us the story.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I finally get to level 5, walk to my first contested gym, and just as I get to the Pokemon lineup the thing crashes >:|

I know, I know, opening day jitters for a free game, but early reliability is a big deal for whether or not I end up spending money on this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Pokemon Go's beta involved reporting and deleting those kinds of portals. I know there's still one at the wreck of the Alkimos off the coat of Perth, which is safe and legal to approach but still requires a boat (or very strong swimming ability and a waterproof case).

• Locked thread