Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sour Diesel posted:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2012/week-17-quick-reads

FO is loving stupid and so are their dumb wacky formulas

that is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Someone should track how they grade Gurley coming off his injury.

Prolly 80-85 and will give him a low explosiveness rating or however that works with Madden.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sour Diesel posted:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2012/week-17-quick-reads

FO is loving stupid and so are their dumb wacky formulas

I kinda hope they go full on crazy as time progresses, eventually going straight up dark ages soothsayer.

"The stars have aligned and a two headed cat was born in the city of London, this is Johnny Football's year."

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

quote:

With Football Outsiders' Adjusted Games Lost (AGL) metric, we are able to quantify how much teams were affected by injuries based on two principles: (1) Injuries to starters, injury replacements, and important situational reserves matter more than injuries to benchwarmers; and (2) Injured players who do take the field are usually playing with reduced ability, which is why AGL is not based strictly on whether or not the player is active for the game, but instead is based on the player's listed status that week (IR/PUP, out, doubtful, questionable, or probable).

like do you really need to make up some formula to say "yea this team suffered because some dudes didn't play"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I think they need to go outside more often.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ross Angeles posted:

So, Peyton's age when he went to his first superbowl?

What kind of bitch made qb waits till he's 30 to win their first Super Bowl :smugbird:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

What kind of bitch made qb waits till he's 30 to win their first Super Bowl :smugbird:

big ben's first super bowl was indeed special

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sour Diesel posted:

like do you really need to make up some formula to say "yea this team suffered because some dudes didn't play"

The Sabermetrics boom really hosed a lot of sports guys up. There are a lot of people who now think that because baseball has trends and concepts that can be extrapolated from past results then obviously EVERY sport needs a bunch of math and poo poo to say basic stuff like 'yea these guys who are really good didn't play and so the team wasn't good'.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Metapod posted:

big ben's first super bowl was indeed special

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Sabermetrics boom really hosed a lot of sports guys up. There are a lot of people who now think that because baseball has trends and concepts that can be extrapolated from past results then obviously EVERY sport needs a bunch of math and poo poo to say basic stuff like 'yea these guys who are really good didn't play and so the team wasn't good'.

See: Every article Bill Barnwell has written for the past 6 years

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I don't think this was posted:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12976679/prince-shembo-atlanta-falcons-charged-dog-death

Falcons cut noted scumfuck Prince Shembo.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

i always new flacco was a michigan man

(i know that is delaware)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ross Angeles posted:

Lol if you think the Colts are gonna beat the Pats with Brady being extremely pissed coming off a suspension

Why does everyone keep saying brady is gonna go super saiyan because he's mad from the suspension? He wasn't really trying hard before but he will now? :wtf: He was already playing as well as he could while cheating, he'll be exposed as a fraud this year.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benne posted:

Barnwell is fun to listen to despite his speech tics (I listen to podcasts on 2x so they don't linger as long) on the Grantland NFL podcast but goddamn I can't get through his articles because he tries to reduce insanely nuanced things into a number.

Baseball's sabermetrics boom makes sense, it's a series of independent events. Football is 22 dudes banging into each other each play. It's way harder to quantify an individual's contributions.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Benne posted:

I liked his work when he first started, but it's been a steady decline since.

Also Robert Mays has become a Green Bay Packers fan over the course of last season.

It's sad to see.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Spoeank posted:

Baseball's sabermetrics boom makes sense, it's a series of independent events. Football is 22 dudes banging into each other each play. It's way harder to quantify an individual's contributions.
Amusingly enough the best football metrics are probably the offensive/defensive line ones, and they're also some of the most obscure.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
it's almost like you shouldn't pay any attention at all to lovely so called sabremetrics for football

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It's literally impossible to have football SABRmetrics

:goonsay:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Sour Diesel posted:

Yes because otherwise they woudln't have an article to post to get clicks. Its why FiveThiryEight sucks rear end in a top hat too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Roasted Donut posted:

it's almost like you shouldn't pay any attention at all to lovely so called sabremetrics for football

So you believe in.... the eye test? :stat:*hordes of TFF lurkers circa 2012 chortle together and give really soft high fives, so Jeffersonlives isn't emasculated when his fragile, avian, bones snap like a New York Giants ACL 1*

1credit to football outsiders for painstakingly compiling an algorithm or some poo poo that lets me know that the team who just hired Jake Long will probably have injuries

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Advanced stats can be good as well as really laughably bad, for instance: That time Devin McCourty had a resoundingly awful season but PFF had him as the best corner, Matt Flynn being heralded as the second coming, anything positive ever being said about John Kuhn.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Good things about John Kuhn:

1. Looks like he would make an excellent doorstop
2. Has two super bowl rings, which is two more legitimate rings than the New England Patriots have

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chichevache posted:

Good things about John Kuhn:

1. Looks like he would make an excellent doorstop
2. Has two super bowl rings, which is two more legitimate rings than the New England Patriots have
Just to be clear, the NFL rigged the 2001 season to give the Super Bowl to the Patriots because America (tuck rule game), and they've been cheating since, right

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Just to be clear, the NFL rigged the 2001 season to give the Super Bowl to the Patriots because America (tuck rule game), and they've been cheating since, right

Lol

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

JT Jag posted:

checks out to me

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Metapod posted:

has that happened before? if so link tia

Some stupid metric once said at worse he was going to be an all pro lol (he being Matt Flynn after that Detroit game)

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Police report from Shembo's incident...what a loving tool.

Autopsy findings:

quote:

The following day, Shembo allegedly made comments to Williams about killing the dog, and she broke up with him, she told police.

A necropsy was conducted at Gwinnett County Animal Shelter, and tissues samples were sent to the University of Georgia for further testing, according to police.

[The dog] had significant internal injuries and the cause of death was blunt force trauma, veterinarians determined.The dog had a fractured rib, fractured liver, abdominal hemorrhage, thoracic hemorrhage, extensive bruising and hemorrhage in the muscles in her front leg and shoulders, head trauma, hemorrhage and edema in lungs, hemorrhage between the esophagus and trachea, and hemorrhage in the left eye with internal injuries, police said.

Ugh, makes me sick :(

e:

There is also this:

quote:

"Wanted to leave the country because he knows how much time he would do in prison for animal cruelty"

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Dior Jordan noooo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

bingo

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Prince Shembo is a rapist who kicked a dog to death and is so scared of jail he was going to flee the country hahahaha life is poo poo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Dior Jordan noooo

?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/njsjsm

Jay Glazer posted:

Jay Glazer · @JayGlazer

I'm sorry man but you just don't flippantly accuse ppl of this. I think it's complete bullshit and irresponsible as hell to bring into the equation RT @ProFootballTalk: Despite LeSean McCoy's comments, Malcolm Jenkins says no one on the Eagles thinks there's a race issue on the team http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Mvc

I wonder if anything will come of this or if it's just going to be a minor offseason flareup.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jay Glazer is racist

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Fire and/or arrest all current and former Notre Dame football players.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
A bunch of 80s and 90s posters

http://imgur.com/a/O2626

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
There's a lot of poo poo analytics out there by armchair GMs (I've even produced some poo poo myself!), but I think the "analytics are for nerds and real men think with their guts" Bushisms are funny, because it means that the Pats and the Packers and the Ravens will just continue to stay good forever by exploiting that willful ignorance.

It's like a bunch of teams just decided that understanding how to win or understanding what makes a good player was not a useful enterprise. See: Ken Whisenhunt, Bruce Allen.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

TubeStank posted:

Those rule so hard.

That Seau one is begging for some photoshopped dicks

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Shath Hole posted:

Police report from Shembo's incident...what a loving tool.

I wonder if he tried to lighten the mood by telling her via meme

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TubeStank posted:

God those are awesome posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

TNG posted:

Fire and/or arrest all current and former Notre Dame football players.

:ohdear: how is Teo going to explain this to his girlfriend

• Locked thread