Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Really enjoyed the relatively cheap $14 tonkotsu lunch Monofoku did years ago. Not sure it's that surprising the restaurants are going out with a wimper (well, a BA-covered-wimper), as that was popular almost 15 years ago. The world of Monofoku, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Hamilton, etc. no longer exists.

Hell's Kitchen continues to be the comfort trash tv it's always been. Really enjoying how ham-fisted the AMERICAN DREAM theme is this season. It's so, so unnatural and painful everytime someone brings it up.

Changs got some decent pods on the Ringer Network and is basically fully slipped into media personality much to the gain of his peace of mind it seems. He also got way into Buddhist meditation and chilling out. Not really surprised his restaurants went the way of the dodo bird given how fast he expanded and how badly covid hurt the industry.

Anyways putting MBDTF and Hamilton in the same sentence is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

The world of Monofoku, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Hamilton, etc. no longer exists.

Good. No -- great.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This was a hosed up way to learn that Momofuku Toronto, which I work three blocks away from, is closed :(

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

Nephzinho posted:

I went to Ko ages ago and while it was very good, it was not worth the price and I haven't really ever recommended it to anyone who wasn't already dead set on it. The italian place he opened very very briefly was just not good, I can't even remember what it was called. Noodle bar still mostly holds up, but is always crowded, consistency slipped, and prices are crazy for ramen. Chang is just focused on selling overpriced soy sauce and chili crisp to go with their instant ramen packets while he does tv stuff.

My impression of that Italian place (Momofuku Nishi?) was that it was at least half a type of advertisement showcase to sell that fermented chickpea paste and whatever other Italian-y ingredients their test kitchen came up with. At the time I remember articles about it talking about all the new and innovative ingredients that you, the home chef, would be able to order. Your description of his current business model seems to back that up.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hell's Kitchen continues to be the comfort trash tv it's always been. Really enjoying how ham-fisted the AMERICAN DREAM theme is this season. It's so, so unnatural and painful everytime someone brings it up.

I normally get through Hells Kitchen by skipping the dinner service sections. This year I can't make it through because of the AMERICAN DREAM stuff. Maybe if it wasn't so "America section in a novelty store over seas", hosted by a Brit, and written to air and fit in on Fox?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fobby posted:

My impression of that Italian place (Momofuku Nishi?) was that it was at least half a type of advertisement showcase to sell that fermented chickpea paste and whatever other Italian-y ingredients their test kitchen came up with. At the time I remember articles about it talking about all the new and innovative ingredients that you, the home chef, would be able to order. Your description of his current business model seems to back that up.

Yes that was it. Definitely took our opinion of him and everything he's done since down a notch. It wasn't bad but it was one of the most uninspiring dinners I've had in a restaurant and I pretty much told everyone I knew never to go there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

captkirk posted:

I normally get through Hells Kitchen by skipping the dinner service sections. This year I can't make it through because of the AMERICAN DREAM stuff. Maybe if it wasn't so "America section in a novelty store over seas", hosted by a Brit, and written to air and fit in on Fox?

Do they have the live audience during non-dinner portions again? I saw some clips of chefs serving their dishes, Ramsay calling it slop, and the crowd gasping. I hated it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7294276152380689706

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7294688081121217835

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7295454850454670635

I’m from Los Angeles, I never heard of this scooped bagel business before

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 1, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw the first one. It had to be explained to me what a scooped bagel was.
I thought the issue was gluten free bagel before the full depth of the depravity was revealed.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Normally I don't give a gently caress what dumb poo poo people want to eat but the idea of a scooped bagel is infuriating.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's such an Elaine move smh

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
If you only want the cream cheese just buy a tub and eat it with a loving spoon you slob

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Instantly reminded me of this bread bowl video:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR7Knvt6/

But seriously get the gently caress outta here with that. Like, I can sort of see it with a grinder but why order a bagel if you don't want the bagel.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It’s a Real Housewives thing. Scooped bagel, cream cheese on the side.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I don't even want to know what a gluten free bagel would be like, texture wise. Since, uhhh, gluten is a pretty big part in what makes a bagel a bagel, at least texture wise.

Just lovely bread with a hole in it?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Robviously posted:

Instantly reminded me of this bread bowl video:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR7Knvt6/

But seriously get the gently caress outta here with that. Like, I can sort of see it with a grinder but why order a bagel if you don't want the bagel.

But like, at least in a bread bowl situation you’re still going to be dipping the bread into the soup, so you’re eating it still

What happens to the scooped out bagel? Do they give it to the people to feed to birds or do they keep it and turn it into wildly overqualified breadcrumbs?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I get a lot of cooking youtuber recommendations nowadays, and it's become kind of charming how anytime I see a title with a dubious claim about a well established cooking practice, it almost always ends up being an Adam Ragusea video. Will grant that in the few videos I've clicked into, he walks back the claim almost immediately as a "well, they are actually right BUT this skipping this and that is mildly faster".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's hard to find the 10 year old videos that were not made to be 40 loving minutes long to answer a 1 minute question.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That’s Content, baby

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

prayer group posted:

Couple things here man. 1: a breakfast restaurant in the middle of downtown, across the street from the aquarium, is not representative of the dining culture of the city as a whole. 2: a guy filming himself eating takeout food in his car is not the next Anthony Bourdain, what the gently caress are you talking about?! "The single most influential restaurant critic"? I feel like I'm losing my mind!

lol it's on the front page of CNN

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oops wrong thread

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 3, 2023

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

I get a lot of cooking youtuber recommendations nowadays, and it's become kind of charming how anytime I see a title with a dubious claim about a well established cooking practice, it almost always ends up being an Adam Ragusea video. Will grant that in the few videos I've clicked into, he walks back the claim almost immediately as a "well, they are actually right BUT this skipping this and that is mildly faster".

It’s like that embodiment of Mayo, Chris Kimball. “Here, do this recipe so you don’t have to brown meat. Or the onions. Or anything.” And is all, “technically it’ll taste better with browning, but we’ve added some spices to compensate. Isn’t this so much better now?”

Honestly, clickbait Ragusea annoys me to no end and I find his stuff insufferable.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

dino. posted:

Honestly, clickbait Ragusea annoys me to no end and I find his stuff insufferable.
His poo poo's so loving soulless and corporate. It's like he is going out of his way to do a fuckin' Direct-To-Tubi version of Good Eats; all the ego, none of the fuckin' skill or flavor or knowledge or anything. I can't loving stand his bullshit.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Occasionally when he's talking about the history behind something I find it interesting, just because I want to know more about X. In reality I could just read wikipedia and be more informed, though.

I don't think I've ever been inclined to make anything I've seen on his channel.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I didn’t know who he was and a few weeks ago wanted to make a coq a vin. So I watched one of his videos as reference along with a few others. It was actually very helpful in a “don’t do what Donnie don’t does” sort of thing. Hmmm yeah if he is using frozen pearl onions maybe I should take the time to blanch and peel some real ones properly.

I actually watched a few of his videos after that just to see how many ways he could recommend shortcutting a dish and/or reference lifting weights before I got bored of him altogether.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I hate Ragusea too but frozen small onions is a legit huge time saver for coq au vin and beef bourguignon

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

AnonSpore posted:

I hate Ragusea too but frozen small onions is a legit huge time saver for coq au vin and beef bourguignon

It probably is but half the fun with making a traditional dish from scratch was doing all the little steps.

Like I believe a random person on the internet giving me that advice, but when you get to the tenth “they say you should do this but I can’t see why” in the sceptical NPR voice I just start questioning the entire video.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Ragusea's videos are slop for people who want to feel smart, made by a guy who doesn't really care about what he makes as long as it makes him money. I can't stand it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I like his mushroom risotto recipe and make it frequently. He has a vibe for sure but at least he doesn’t drag out his videos like many YouTubers.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

wow, my old boss used to do this probably a decade ago, ostensibly to save on carbs, and we all thought he was a major weirdo

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I tried Ragusea's sheet pan pasta and halfway through realized he used every pan in the kitchen to make a sheet pan dinner.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"They tell you that you need to use noodles for a sheet pan pasta, but here's the thing: you don't. Well you probably should, but I've found you can save that $2 on buying pasta if you swap them out for every sheet pan you own instead. Yes the meal will be a bit more metallic, but it's worth it, trust me."

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

I tried Ragusea's sheet pan pasta and halfway through realized he used every pan in the kitchen to make a sheet pan dinner.
I think taking stuff like that into account is an underrated difference in recipes between people who have written cookbooks professionally and people who haven't

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
https://youtu.be/sk55bJWOFyk?si=ry2mHGYzT0Oowtgx

Yes.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Voodoofly posted:

I didn’t know who he was and a few weeks ago wanted to make a coq a vin. So I watched one of his videos as reference along with a few others. It was actually very helpful in a “don’t do what Donnie don’t does” sort of thing. Hmmm yeah if he is using frozen pearl onions maybe I should take the time to blanch and peel some real ones properly.

I actually watched a few of his videos after that just to see how many ways he could recommend shortcutting a dish and/or reference lifting weights before I got bored of him altogether.
The fact that he is such an immensely lazy cook drives me insane. He very occasionally puts together a decent looking dish but the amount of things he tries to cut out of the process or find a workaround is just unbearable.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

The fact that he is such an immensely lazy cook drives me insane. He very occasionally puts together a decent looking dish but the amount of things he tries to cut out of the process or find a workaround is just unbearable.
why is that a bad thing. don’t be so judgey

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Vegetable posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with having an opinion

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cute. Substituting OJ for milk, egad.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

Trying to find simpler ways to do things, or removing a labor intensive step that adds minimal actual benefit, is great.

Removing a step that adds significant actual benefit, is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, but what if we make it more complicated and make the result worse.