Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

Is anyone that just bought an Intel mac happy about that decision?

I bought an 4-port Intel MBP in August and I still think it's a great machine. The only thing I really want from the M1 is the battery and the cooler running chassis, I couldn't care less about the performance for what I do.

I knew going into this that a new one was coming but I think I assumed like a lot of people that it would be close to a like-for-like replacement, not the giant leap we see right now.

At least I can still bootcamp into Windows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I was one of those iPad Pro as my computer type of folks and while I still stand by the idea that it can work for people if you can work around some limits I ended up selling the Pro 2018 and got the base MBA. It rules.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

redeyes posted:

Newp. Air and Mini this year, both replacing fairly ancient models (2011 air, 2012 mini). It couldn’t have been a worse decision! Was nooooothing on the horizon when I bought, the Mini had recently been ‘refreshed’ (drive size amendment) and the loving Air was a brand new model.

If I knew my Mini was gonna ‘die’ on me I wouldn’t have bought the air full stop, it’s been a bad year for hardware for me for sure.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Newp. Air and Mini this year, both replacing fairly ancient models (2011 air, 2012 mini). It couldn’t have been a worse decision! Was nooooothing on the horizon when I bought, the Mini had recently been ‘refreshed’ (drive size amendment) and the loving Air was a brand new model.

If I knew my Mini was gonna ‘die’ on me I wouldn’t have bought the air full stop, it’s been a bad year for hardware for me for sure.

Trade them in before they lose any more value :mrgw:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Friend of mine has no interest in M1 and will buy the last Intel MBP they make because he needs Windows because he tunes cars with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Data Graham posted:

Friend of mine has no interest in M1 and will buy the last Intel MBP they make because he needs Windows because he tunes cars with it.

And this is where you buy a $250 Dell or lenovo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

redeyes posted:

Dudes that use R or VM’s

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i got work to buy this mac mini i7 about six months or so ago, it's great. i rely on homebrew and my old computer was dead. the i7 is still very fast for what i need it to do. i couldn't wait for M1 to come out, and I couldn't wait until homebrew figured their poo poo out, and I didn't pay for it. happy all around.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TACD posted:

It always seemed incredibly weird to me that Apple was trying to make their own shows; it’s just so wildly, completely outside of their core competencies as to be totally bizarre. Like, Apple has been heavily involved with music since the iPod but they don’t have a record label or a band.

Some of these things to me seem like things that the stockmarket "demands" that they do, so they do it.

Apple Watch (ended up being successful, but basically for reasons they didn't forsee or comprehend)
Apple TV+ (the physical TV project is presumably dead)
Apple Car

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can ARM tech eventually benefit high performance/gaming PCs? Or is there no point in developing ARM gaming PCs since you can just make a bigger CPU and keep feeding more power since you have much better cooling options? Its just weird that supposedly cell phone/tablet CPUs are outperforming hotter/slower/more power hungry processors?

I rewrote this post like six times trying to ask this question without outing myself an as an idiot. I have failed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think anyone else is going to invest that much into it like Apple has. Maybe not this decade.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
So regarding my 16GB/1TB M1 MacBook Air that was supposed to have been originally delivered by today but was pushed back unexpectedly to a delivery window of 12/30-1/7, I got both an email and text update from Apple with the new delivery window this morning. No explanation just a note on the new dates. Tonight I just got a FedEx notification that a package was picked up in Shanghai with a pending delivery date. It is clearly the laptop based on the weight and dimensions, and I also checked the Apple site and it now says preparing for shipment and it looks like my CC has a pending charge. So I guess maybe I'll get this thing in 2020. What a mess. They must just be changing estimates to be very conservative because logistics are trashed for the holiday season.

Yesterday I was just sitting around so I opened a chat with apple support asking for at least a reason for the month delay and the rep told me that someone would call me back in about 9 days. I think I should most likely have the thing by then, hah.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Apple is doing much better than other electronic manufacturers when it comes to actually shipping things during this pandemic. It’d be impressive if they weren’t the richest corporation in the world

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey at least apple let’s you order it and just gives you a date. It’s much better vs just trying to F5 random sites all day.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Binary Badger posted:

Jobs screamed at IBM when they failed to deliver 3 GHz parts, then IBM had the nerve to tell Jobs 'psst, if you slip us a few tens of millions, maybe we could speed things up' to which he allegedly exploded and went back to Intel and the rest is history..

I feel a little bad for Motorola which was supposedly working on a dual-core G4 that they thought would be Apple's Plan B when IBM failed to deliver a mobile G5

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

buglord posted:

Can ARM tech eventually benefit high performance/gaming PCs? Or is there no point in developing ARM gaming PCs since you can just make a bigger CPU and keep feeding more power since you have much better cooling options? Its just weird that supposedly cell phone/tablet CPUs are outperforming hotter/slower/more power hungry processors?

I rewrote this post like six times trying to ask this question without outing myself an as an idiot. I have failed.

the switch is an arm console. the gamecube, wii, ps3 and xbox 360 were all powerpc which is very similar to arm.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Totally Huge posted:

So regarding my 16GB/1TB M1 MacBook Air that was supposed to have been originally delivered by today but was pushed back unexpectedly to a delivery window of 12/30-1/7, I got both an email and text update from Apple with the new delivery window this morning. No explanation just a note on the new dates. Tonight I just got a FedEx notification that a package was picked up in Shanghai with a pending delivery date. It is clearly the laptop based on the weight and dimensions, and I also checked the Apple site and it now says preparing for shipment and it looks like my CC has a pending charge. So I guess maybe I'll get this thing in 2020. What a mess. They must just be changing estimates to be very conservative because logistics are trashed for the holiday season.

Yesterday I was just sitting around so I opened a chat with apple support asking for at least a reason for the month delay and the rep told me that someone would call me back in about 9 days. I think I should most likely have the thing by then, hah.

Mine didn't go through that shenanigans; they originally projected a delivery date of 12/11-12/18, and it actually arrived today a few days ahead of schedule.

For what it's worth, it went from Shanghai to my door in 4 days, so once it's shipped, it seems to move at warp speed.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wouldn’t count Intel out, they have all the cash and size in the world and an industry full of well-established relationships to both leverage and protect.

In ten years we’ll be talking about how obvious it was that Intel was going to buy and hire their way to ARM competitiveness and the Mac will be in the same niche it was in in 2009 with a numerically larger user base.
Or about how Intel had an ARM license and made chips for years before selling it off to Marvell, along with turning down Jobs' pitch to make the iPhone chips.

buglord posted:

Well if they have just as much performance or more at similar or less power draw, I guess...case possibilities with more power/less cooling for the size, and potentially lower prices for whatever performance. It's just the hardware in the end, ultimately games are about the software. Basically it'll depend on MS pushing Windows on ARM and manufacturers making better ARM PCs, and people actually buying them and devs supporting them. Whole bunch of chickens and eggs to deal with.

ARM has higher performance reference designs coming soonish which should help the hardware side of things, but the rest is still a big rear end question mark. Nvidia's eventual ownership/involvement could make things interesting.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Plus I'm not sure that Intel is willing to follow the path of no compromises when it comes to doing the level of optimization that Apple has..

Also isn't Intel still stuck on 10 nanometer dies and only now planning 7 nm parts while the M1 is already at 5 nm?

I'm not so sure 32/64/128 core GPUS are going to be an easy feat, but Apple's success so far with the 8 core GPU is definitely at least a double or triple; 16/32 should provide the home run Apple needs for their graphics to take the lead..

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Binary Badger posted:

Plus I'm not sure that Intel is willing to follow the path of no compromises when it comes to doing the level of optimization that Apple has..

Also isn't Intel still stuck on 10 nanometer dies and only now planning 7 nm parts while the M1 is already at 5 nm?

I'm not so sure 32/64/128 core GPUS are going to be an easy feat, but Apple's success so far with the 8 core GPU is definitely at least a double or triple; 16/32 should provide the home run Apple needs for their graphics to take the lead..

You can't really compare process sizes between fabs like that, they all measure their dimensions differently. That said I have no idea how Intel 7nm is supposed to compare to TMSC 5nm.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I wonder at what point here we start getting to a dimension where electrons are just quantum tunneling between different parts of the die because the sizes are so small.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The last I had read, TSMC's initial 7nm density was about on-par with Intel's 10 nm, but with their 7nm improvements and now at 5 nm, TSMC is definitely ahead and Intel's 7nm was previously delayed again by about 6 months, so it's not looking too great for them.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah and if you're gonna scrunch a 16/32/64 core GPU down to where it fits in the real estate they decide to give on the already crowded die, you need that shrinky-dink tech..

But yeah we're fast approaching the point where signal traces are like a few dozen atoms across.. might have to come up with some way to shunt the components into a parallel dimension soon.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also interesting, Sonnet just released a breakout box for any Thunderbolt 3 Mac to use, including the new AS Macs.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/12/08/sonnet-debuts-three-slot-pcie-expansion-system-for-thunderbolt-3-computers

Available in standalone or rackmount version.. also supposed to be good for ProTools users as they can shove up to 3 HDX cards into it so even with an iMac, Mini, or MBP you can have that DSP acceleration to the extreme.

Kinda blunts the need for a Mac Pro, though..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/tldtoday/status/1336309649948069888

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah I have no regrets about not waiting for these lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

TACD posted:

Yeah I have no regrets about not waiting for these lol

You can get both sizes formats for Sony’s noise canceling headphones for less than this one pair from Apple. And they are both widely reviewed as the best noise canceling headphones in the market.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm4

https://www.sony.com/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000xm3

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Data Graham posted:

Bob Morales posted:

And this is where you buy a $250 Dell or lenovo

That's literally what I bought one off you for

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"And you call them pods, despite the fact they're clearly over-ears?"

"Well, uhh... You see... The thing you should... Excuse me."

"Of course."

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wonder at what point here we start getting to a dimension where electrons are just quantum tunneling between different parts of the die because the sizes are so small.

I’ve wondered about this, supposedly according to Google, the size of an atom of silicon is roughly 0.2nm. I don’t know exactly how fab sizes map here, i.e., is that supposed to be the size of a single transistor? At 5nm, that’s only ~25 atoms (in 1D math), so either way this is some pretty impressive science.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Some Goon posted:

"Of course."

do you know what the definition of pod is?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
This case is the worst thing Apple has made in at least a decade:

It's like they 100% nailed the original AirPods case, and then just decided to completely gently caress this up in every possible way. It rules.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

frogbs posted:

It's like they 100% nailed the original AirPods case, and then just decided to completely gently caress this up in every possible way. It rules.

agree it's dumb as poo poo

like i think their point is to make it thin to slip in a case or bag next to an ipad or laptop but jesus surely there are better options

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

frogbs posted:

Apple Bra

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

mediaphage posted:

agree it's dumb as poo poo

like i think their point is to make it thin to slip in a case or bag next to an ipad or laptop but jesus surely there are better options

Yeah, I mean, I don't think that makes it any easier to bring those headphones anywhere. Compared to the similar Sony headphones, whose case, you know, meets the definition of a case:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

That's the first thing that popped up into my head, actually.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can get both sizes formats for Sony’s noise canceling headphones for less than this one pair from Apple. And they are both widely reviewed as the best noise canceling headphones in the market.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm4
Yeah these are the ones I got (on some Cyber Monday deal) and when the Bluetooth signal isn't being interrupted by road traffic or birdsong or whatever the gently caress they're extremely good

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

If anyone will do it, it'll be nvidia they own ARM now and I'm sure they'd like to sell you a gaming pc where they get all the profit.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’m pretty excited, my MBP 1TB/16gb was listed as due for delivery on the 15th but I just got an e-mail saying it’ll be arriving at the collection point tomorrow. That was a pleasant surprise hopefully now I’ll be able to migrate from my iMac and get that sold before Xmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Some Goon posted:

"Of course."

???