Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Aura = Awrah

Awrah (Arabic: عورة) is a term used within Islam which denotes the intimate parts of the body, for both men and women, which must be covered with clothing. Exposing the awrah is unlawful in Islam and is regarded as sin. The exact definition of awrah varies between different schools of Islamic thought.

Neither men nor women should uncover their genitals at any time except when in privacy. Men and women should at all times wear garments that are loose and made of material that is not transparent enough to see the skin colour and shape of the other (male or female). Not only that, they must also protect their gaze from the awrah of those unlawful for them.

[7:26]
There is no awrah between a husband and wife. There is no restriction in Islam on what body parts a woman may show to her husband in private.

http://islamic-dictionary.tumblr.com/post/5658467793/awrah-arabic-is-a-term-used

--

Explains the song a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Has anyone else heard anything about backlash against it? A friend of a friend compared it to No Doubt's Looking Hot video and how offensive that was. Besides that, all I've heard is some murmurs about how people wouldn't understand how it could be taken as cultural appropriation, but that seems a lot less offensive than dressing up like a Native American and playing out a bunch of stereotypes set to music.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was just kinda thinking that maybe this could be considered cultural appropriation, and in a way that's probably offensive to a lot of muslims.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Nothing she says is actually offensive, but it's coming from a lady that is naked in public all the time, loves gay people, and is basically the opposite of muslim :-p

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't think it's offensive, and it most certainly isn't even CLOSE to as bad as the No Doubt video (and I'm probably as big a ND fan as I am a Lady Gaga one) , but I'm also not Muslim.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Well here's...something.

:nws: for Gaga boobs.

https://vimeo.com/71919803

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

TheJoker138 posted:

Well here's...something.

Saw this a bit earlier. Reminds me of Lotus Sutra chanting. Really liking her black hair, and bleached eyebrows.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well she's lost the weight anyway.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

angerbot posted:

Well she's lost the weight anyway.

I hope she doesn't lose any more. :smith:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

TheJoker138 posted:

Well here's...something.

It's like an outtake from Holy Mountain.

Makes me think she should get Jodorowsky to direct a music video for her before he dies.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

TheJoker138 posted:

Well here's...something.

Now punch me in the face. Harder! Okay, now bring me the crystals. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

What the gently caress did I just watch

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

My inner artist nerd comes out when I see Marina :-p You should check out her documentary. It's pretty awesome. It's called The Artist is Present.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

fuseshock posted:

Well, she just looks amazing. This was NYC pride I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdd6JzJgJGY

Oh dear lord she has had a nose job :( . Shame she took her unique look away to look 'prettier'.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

sursumdeorsum posted:

Oh dear lord she has had a nose job :( . Shame she took her unique look away to look 'prettier'.

Supposedly she just has a lot of "contouring" done with make-up, though I'm no expert on noses or make-up so I dunno. You can see what she looks like naturally in that Abramovic video.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
I'm a Muslim and someone brought up how the burqa thing is cultural appropriation. Some random white sociologist grad student trying to fight the fight against Lady Gaga incensed me way more than an American pop music ever would. I mean the concept of the song makes me feel a little weirder about it than anything else but on the list of problems Muslims have this doesn't even chart.

But then again I'm kind of an artist profligate so take this as you will.

Edit: Ehh, its not that she's white that was a bad choice of words. I mean I'm white. Its that she basically totally uninvolved in the life of Muslims and conversant with the tradition in any way and was just harping on something new.

Nova Bizzare fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 9, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Nova Bizzare posted:

I'm a Muslim and someone brought up how the burqa thing is cultural appropriation. Some random white sociologist grad student trying to fight the fight against Lady Gaga incensed me way more than an American pop music ever would. I mean the concept of the song makes me feel a little weirder about it than anything else but on the list of problems Muslims have this doesn't even chart.

Edit: Ehh, its not that she's white that was a bad choice of words. I mean I'm white. Its that she basically totally uninvolved in the life of Muslims and conversant with the tradition in any way and was just harping on something new.
Yeah, I mean, I'd really like to see a coherent argument for what the problems with the song are, but what I've seen so far (which isn't a lot) is largely kneejerk, like "Well she's not Muslim and she's using metaphors involving elements of Muslim culture, therefore this must be offensive in some way". That doesn't mean there aren't reasonable points to be made, but I've just seen handwaving.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

het posted:

Yeah, I mean, I'd really like to see a coherent argument for what the problems with the song are, but what I've seen so far (which isn't a lot) is largely kneejerk, like "Well she's not Muslim and she's using metaphors involving elements of Muslim culture, therefore this must be offensive in some way". That doesn't mean there aren't reasonable points to be made, but I've just seen handwaving.

It's basically that she's appropriating imagery from a notoriously modest culture to say 'do you want to see my tits and vagina?' It doesn't personally offend me but it seems like a message formulated to shock.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's basically that she's appropriating imagery from a notoriously modest culture to say 'do you want to see my tits and vagina?' It doesn't personally offend me but it seems like a message formulated to shock.

What's so bad about a message formulated to shock anyway?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What's so bad about a message formulated to shock anyway?

It's formulated. It's more interested in garnering a response than itself being a natural expression.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

It's formulated. It's more interested in garnering a response than itself being a natural expression.

Pfft, who cares whether it's a natural expression or not? What on earth is a 'natural expression' anyway, and how can we distinguish it from an un-natural one?

Deliberately creating something to provoke a specific response isn't at all a bad thing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Pfft, who cares whether it's a natural expression or not? What on earth is a 'natural expression' anyway, and how can we distinguish it from an un-natural one?

Deliberately creating something to provoke a specific response isn't at all a bad thing.

Because you can see through it. What ever happened to being yourself?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

FogHelmut posted:

Because you can see through it. What ever happened to being yourself?

To be fair, she's a pop artist whose business is based upon staying interesting, relevant, and exciting enough to sell records. She keeps a lot more of her own personal views in her music than a lot of other artists in her genre, but you can't expect her not to do anything to keep business drummed up.

That said, I really hope she doesn't become another qabbalist/crystal/leylines sort of person. I don't really recall anything she's done up to now that sticks out as "mid-twenties self exploration" .

Man also she should be proud of that nose. One of the many things that made her interesting as an artist was that she didn't look like, you know, every other pop artist on the planet. But then again I guess it helps to remember she's a person in her twenties, and we've all done poo poo like this before.

edit: VVVV - good! I don't really keep up with her on twitter or anything of the like, so I was just going on what people were saying. I'm -really- glad she hasn't done anything surgery-wise, as sort of base and petty as that might sound.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 9, 2013

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Platypus Farm posted:

Man also she should be proud of that nose. One of the many things that made her interesting as an artist was that she didn't look like, you know, every other pop artist on the planet. But then again I guess it helps to remember she's a person in her twenties, and we've all done poo poo like this before.

She tweeted out this picture a couple of weeks ago - I can hardly imagine anyone her age looking less like a pop star.

I also hope she doesn't go too far down the crystal magic weirdness path, but I've been interested in Abramovic for a while and it's exciting that they're working together.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's that, yes, but that's part of the original meaning of the word as posted at the top of this page. Also I think it's more of a metaphor for seeing her as the person behind the character she's created for herself (something every interview I've ever seen with her asks).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
She's so strongly Catholic I doubt she'll go down the crystal crazy path, but then again, you never know.

I personally think the metaphor, while maybe designed more to shock than anything, is actually quite beautiful and fitting, I don't feel like it's being forced in just for shock value.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess it's that I'm not sure the song itself has a very coherent message to begin with. It'd be more interesting saying that her exposed flesh is the veil that prevents people from seeing her true self, but I don't think that fits totally with the song either.

Lord Krangdar posted:

There's that, yes, but that's part of the original meaning of the word as posted at the top of this page. Also I think it's more of a metaphor for seeing her as the person behind the character she's created for herself (something every interview I've ever seen with her asks).
Is that actually the word she's using? It seems to mean the opposite of how it's being used in the song. Is she just using it wrong?

Context posted:

She tweeted out this picture a couple of weeks ago - I can hardly imagine anyone her age looking less like a pop star.
She's a pretty girl not wearing makeup, "I can hardly imagine anyone her age looking less like a pop star" is going a bit far.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

het posted:

She's a pretty girl not wearing makeup, "I can hardly imagine anyone her age looking less like a pop star" is going a bit far.

I dunno if the general public agrees with you, she gets ridiculed for her looks constantly. She's considered very unattractive to many many people.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Speaking of people who calculate their lives based on how it may "shock" a mid-west homeschooler, she kinda looks like Marilyn Manson in that picture. I think she's playing up the angle to look like that. Could use a sandwich and some sunlight.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

FogHelmut posted:

Speaking of people who calculate their lives based on how it may "shock" a mid-west homeschooler, she kinda looks like Marilyn Manson in that picture. I think she's playing up the angle to look like that. Could use a sandwich and some sunlight.

Or, in the case of Manson, fourteen gallons of absinthe and a Costco-sized bag of gummiworms.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

somnambulist posted:

I dunno if the general public agrees with you, she gets ridiculed for her looks constantly. She's considered very unattractive to many many people.
You'll find that for literally every female celebrity, our culture has ridiculous beauty standards and is really misogynistic. "I can hardly imagine anyone her age looking less like a pop star" is still ridiculous. Not everything has to be superlatives.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I really enjoy this remix of Aura/Awrah

http://bradwalsh.com/lady-gaga-aura-remix/

Also DJWS, Zedd, Madeon confirmed as producers of the album. Looking forward to it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

het posted:

You'll find that for literally every female celebrity, our culture has ridiculous beauty standards and is really misogynistic. "I can hardly imagine anyone her age looking less like a pop star" is still ridiculous. Not everything has to be superlatives.

I'm just saying, I follow quite a bit of music blogs, forums, etc. - and ANY photo of gaga, no matter how amazing or terrible she looks, is met with immediate criticism. "Disgusting" "Horrible" "Look at that nose" "NoseGa" "Terrible" are some of the words used to describe her.

I agree almost any female celebrity is met with criticism on their bad days, but when they look great, people forget that and praise them. That isn't the case with Gaga. I'd be willing to say the majority of people find her unattractive. It also has to do with the rumors of her having a dick when she became popular.

It also has to do with her fans being called "little monsters" - and photos of her can be related to the word monster i think.

fuseshock posted:

I really enjoy this remix of Aura/Awrah

http://bradwalsh.com/lady-gaga-aura-remix/

Also DJWS, Zedd, Madeon confirmed as producers of the album. Looking forward to it.

Also this owns.

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 9, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Yeah that's because she's a massively famous pop star. In the late 90s when Britney Spears was at her best, the same thing happened. It basically has nothing at all to do with how Ms. Gaga actually looks.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Platypus Farm posted:

Yeah that's because she's a massively famous pop star. In the late 90s when Britney Spears was at her best, the same thing happened. It basically has nothing at all to do with how Ms. Gaga actually looks.

I don't recall this ever happening but you may be right. :) I dont mean to go on and on about it, but no one I know in real life finds gaga to be very attractive. You know that game guys play where they ask "would you bang (x) celebrity?" When gaga gets mentioned its usually a collective "Uhh no". That never would have happened with Britney :-p She was a sex icon.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

somnambulist posted:

I don't recall this ever happening but you may be right. :) I dont mean to go on and on about it, but no one I know in real life finds gaga to be very attractive. You know that game guys play where they ask "would you bang (x) celebrity?" When gaga gets mentioned its usually a collective "Uhh no". That never would have happened with Britney :-p She was a sex icon.

I can't really speak for the wide-sweep of society, but I specifically remember people in high school saying she looked like a pig because her nose had that slight up turn at the end.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I don't find her very attractive, but who cares really? What everybody loves about her is her music and her passion for social justice. I find it nice that someone with 'imperfect' looks can become a super famous pop star, and I hope she never gets a nose job. I hated when she got those lip injections, but I think calling her 'disgusting' and 'horrible' is way harsh. Without makeup, she looks like an average Italian girl. What's wrong with that?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

I can't really speak for the wide-sweep of society, but I specifically remember people in high school saying she looked like a pig because her nose had that slight up turn at the end.

I was in high school during the height of Spears popularity as well and literally cannot recall anyone ever commenting on her looks in any negative way. Even people who hated her thought she was super hot.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

somnambulist posted:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22lady%20gaga%20is%20hot%22&mode=relevance&src=typd

http://www.mtv.co.uk/hottest

Lady Gaga is literally #3 in a current poll of hottest musical artists (the top one that isn't Justin Bieber or One Direction).

edit: to be clear, I'm not saying that nobody unfairly criticizes her or that she is universally/unanimously loved or found to be attractive, just that it's weird to say that you couldn't imagine someone looking less like a pop star just because she isn't universally hailed as stunningly beautiful.

het fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

het posted:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22lady%20gaga%20is%20hot%22&mode=relevance&src=typd

http://www.mtv.co.uk/hottest

Lady Gaga is literally #3 in a current poll of hottest musical artists (the top one that isn't Justin Bieber or One Direction).

edit: to be clear, I'm not saying that nobody unfairly criticizes her or that she is universally/unanimously loved or found to be attractive, just that it's weird to say that you couldn't imagine someone looking less like a pop star just because she isn't universally hailed as stunningly beautiful.

Pop stars in general are make up slathered and "perfect" any time they are seen in any shots that are not released by the paparazzi while they're out buying groceries or whatever. In that context that photo does not look like a picture of a pop icon.

• Locked thread