Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

Changing my vote since I now see it has a chance.

You should probably say what you changed your vote from. It's incredibly annoying for anyone trying to count it otherwise (like I was, before I gave up at this point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.

While I believe that our current inflation isnt extremely alarming, we have to think further down the line. Also, if we end up loosing provinces to Russia, we will need to mint even more to stay in the black! And if we manage to weather the storm... Well we wont have to worry about it further down the line.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The Saurus posted:

I have more sympathy for the people voting B who provide actual reasons (there are some) that contribute to in-thread discussion rather than just going TOLERANCE.

(It's kindof weird actually. It's like everyone is so ashamed of Crete for some reason that no one wants to do any RPing or discussion in the thread and just jumps on catchphrases to represent the direction they want things to go in)
Well, at this point we've already established a national character, a simple value, and people are pointing that accepted value as the reason for their vote.

Do you want everyone to explain all over again why tolerance is a good thing? I mean, I'm personally be really happy to do that, but I had figured we were past that stage of things.

Well here's why we value tolerance. Azerbaijan is great. Azerbaijan is not strong, nor rich, but Azerbaijan is a country we can be proud of, because Azerbaijan is kind. That is truly exceptional, and truly wonderful.

We're not aiming to conquer the world. We're not aiming to more effectively kill our neighbors for their beliefs or their land. We're a small country that holds many different kinds of people. People who would under other circumstances be out to kill each other, but because we rule them they're forced to tolerate each other.

Our country is one where peoples lives are just a bit less miserable because the only way to hold our state together is to accept different points of view.

A Bill of Rights will enshrine that spirit, not just for minority religious communities, but for all Azerbaijanis. Our history has told us that beating a man down will simply cause him to strike back when he can. We must show that we respect him, and then he will follow us willingly. Our country will be stronger for that cooperation.

From a meta perspective, it's exciting and inspiring that we're actually doing this. Posters on internet forums are easily given to a bandwagon mentality or meme spreading- it's a fun thing to do. What's interesting is which meme is strong enough, which bandwagon compelling enough. Typically the strongest ones are violent and exclusionary. "Blood for the blood god!" "Death to the infidel!" "For the motherland!" "Trains!" These are familiar and compelling bandwagons. They're a release from the constraints of what we typically think of as right, and an exciting indulgence.

But here we've gone a different route. The meme that's taken hold is humanism. It's not just what's good in the real world... it's loving awesome. It's exciting, it's compelling! People here are getting their blood up for being good people. It's an aesthetic appreciation for what's good.

I for one think that's incredible, and I'm going to do everything I can to encourage it.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is an exit poll, subject to the vagaries of the Bradley Effect and my poo poo poor tabulation abilities. As always, this vote won't be official until sniper4625 uses his augmented counting to validate the results. Voting will end in ~16 hours.

Salvador Dahlberg
Nov 22, 2009

Let's tolerate the poo poo out of some Christians.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Diplomacy is needed now more than ever.

Terror storm
Oct 23, 2010

Your head is worth nothing,
and that's a good thing.

We need to form some alliances in the hope it will save us from Russia, or at least keep our neighbours off our backs after Russia takes a chunk out of us so we can rebuild in peace.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Didn't realize that C was so far behind.

Switching my vote from C to

Hopefully the Russians will be so impressed by our glorious cabinet that they forget to invade us.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 12, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Wiz, the next time an idea slot opens up I suggest you change the localisation entry to "National Tolerant Bank". I'm suspecting it's the only way it will have a chance :smith:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Well, this is a bit of a difficult choice, made harder by some of the excellent arguments put forth, I think. But in the end I have come to a conclusion.

Gentlemen, I wish for a tolerant Azerbaijan and a future as a beacon to humanity as much as anybody else does. But before we can be tolerant, we must be secure. Now I know that some say that Russia is only a passing threat, and we must think to the future. Yet I say Russia is only one of MANY passing threats. We stand at the crossroads of the world, and everywhere around us lie great powers that look upon us with a covetous eye. There is no military solution for this, whatever the glories of Azerbaijani arms - are we to take and absorb each of our enemies, in all directions, after all? Wherever we may push, there shall always be an enemy waiting to plunge their daggers into our backs as we look away from them. We cannot conquer all our neighbors, when push comes to shove.

No, gentlemen, our security shall ultimately be found in our neighbors. We must become adroit at handling them, manipulating them. We must become masters of diplomacy, able to play our rivals off against each other, to form coalitions to ward off threats, to create safe borders with words instead of spears, with gold instead of gunpowder. At the center of the world, all eyes are upon us - we must master the art of diverting those eyes elsewhere, so that even if all the world should plunge into war, Azerbaijan shall thus be free, safe...and tolerant.

A vote for diplomacy is a vote for security, now and into the future. Vote..

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

voting for diplomacy

Kingolf
Mar 12, 2010

Tolerance is neat, inflation reduction is something that will be have to be addressed at some point.

Diplomacy is the key to survival.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Switching my vote from to

The bank option still makes the most sense to me, but if the other choices are what's up, then this will be the choice most likely to keep us alive. In fact, let us combine the brightest minds and filter them through our splendid sultan, and the world will kneel before our silver tongue.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!

Because we must!

Manic Mole
Aug 21, 2007

last in line when they were handing out the gravitas
Switching my vote from C to

We are already tolerent enough for now. We need something that'll help in the coming war with russia, that means cash or allies.

Manic Mole fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 13, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What is Russia's current mission?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

We can never be tolerant enough! If an idea of tolerance is put up against other ideas, a vote for any of these is a vote for intolerance!

Though honestly, I'd be happy to see Cabinet win too, with the assumption that this will mean that we the readers have greater input in what happens.

Darth Windu posted:

What is Russia's current mission?

Wiz said a few pages ago, it's "Attack Azerbaijan".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Because diplomats cause all the wars!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Y'know, these are all 3 ideas I always try to take in regular EU3, so I don't really care what wins. Still keeping my original vote, though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ill Of Rights

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gently caress the haters.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
God dammit.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eiba posted:

Well, at this point we've already established a national character, a simple value, and people are pointing that accepted value as the reason for their vote.

Do you want everyone to explain all over again why tolerance is a good thing? I mean, I'm personally be really happy to do that, but I had figured we were past that stage of things.

Well here's why we value tolerance. Azerbaijan is great. Azerbaijan is not strong, nor rich, but Azerbaijan is a country we can be proud of, because Azerbaijan is kind. That is truly exceptional, and truly wonderful.

We're not aiming to conquer the world. We're not aiming to more effectively kill our neighbors for their beliefs or their land. We're a small country that holds many different kinds of people. People who would under other circumstances be out to kill each other, but because we rule them they're forced to tolerate each other.

Our country is one where peoples lives are just a bit less miserable because the only way to hold our state together is to accept different points of view.

A Bill of Rights will enshrine that spirit, not just for minority religious communities, but for all Azerbaijanis. Our history has told us that beating a man down will simply cause him to strike back when he can. We must show that we respect him, and then he will follow us willingly. Our country will be stronger for that cooperation.

From a meta perspective, it's exciting and inspiring that we're actually doing this. Posters on internet forums are easily given to a bandwagon mentality or meme spreading- it's a fun thing to do. What's interesting is which meme is strong enough, which bandwagon compelling enough. Typically the strongest ones are violent and exclusionary. "Blood for the blood god!" "Death to the infidel!" "For the motherland!" "Trains!" These are familiar and compelling bandwagons. They're a release from the constraints of what we typically think of as right, and an exciting indulgence.

But here we've gone a different route. The meme that's taken hold is humanism. It's not just what's good in the real world... it's loving awesome. It's exciting, it's compelling! People here are getting their blood up for being good people. It's an aesthetic appreciation for what's good.

I for one think that's incredible, and I'm going to do everything I can to encourage it.

It's true that tolerance is important to our brave nation, but as the wars with Armenia showed us we must be more than just tolerant. Our relations with Morocco have soured due to the callousness of one of our Sultans. They once called the Azeri Sultans their own, but now they are separate from us. Our agents tell us that our former ally Russia now considers war against us.

Through the creation of a cabinet to aid our Sultan, we can mend these shattered bridges, or more easily find allies with which to weather the storm. And beyond that, our diplomats can spread the Azeri spirit of tolerance beyond our borders, to make sure our neighbours tolerate US.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

We need all the friends we can get... It's a shame that our sultan is
too great a man for these times.

Nepalese Robot
Feb 14, 2009

C is the best idea but it has no chance of winning so let's get our diplomacy on

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Switching my vote from
to

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Oh god, from a gameplay perspective the bonuses voting A confers are the probably the least valuable. We're not at a point where we're wanting for diplomats and the diplomacy bonuses won't help much if we hope to expand since our infamy will be perpetually high

Higher tolerance = lower revolt risk = higher taxes. We're modernizing which means our slider choices have very little missionary growth. We can't afford to convert to remove wrong religion penalties to tax income and pop growth but we can stack tolerance and RR reduction to overcome them.

The pragmatic choice for an expansionary vision is B. C is also useful to give breathing room to Wiz so either or works. But for the love of Allah do not vote A.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Oh god, from a gameplay perspective the bonuses voting A confers are the probably the least valuable. We're not at a point where we're wanting for diplomats and the diplomacy bonuses won't help much if we hope to expand since our infamy will be perpetually high

Higher tolerance = lower revolt risk = higher taxes. We're modernizing which means our slider choices have very little missionary growth. We can't afford to convert to remove wrong religion penalties to tax income and pop growth but we can stack tolerance and RR reduction to overcome them.

The pragmatic choice for an expansionary vision is B. C is also useful to give breathing room to Wiz so either or works. But for the love of Allah do not vote A.

You seem to be working under the assumption that the majority of the Shura wants Azerbaijan to be an expansionist power. I do not believe that is the case.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Seriously, we've got christians and foreign cultures out of the wazoo. Bill of Rights is *a lot* more handy than a little more efficient diplomacy in this situation.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
While I've been voting maximum tolerance this whole time...

Our inflation just keeps getting worse, and 10 seems like a good place to stop it. Bill of Rights isn't really necessary at this point, given our relative lack of internal strife. Cabinet's not a bad choice, though.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Orthodox Georgians will be an obvious fifth column in an eventual war against Russia. They should have been converted long ago, but noooo, that's not 'tolerant'.

You know what's tolerant? Spreading the word of Allah to the heathens so that they to can worship the correct god and end up in paradise instead of burning forever when they die :colbert:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 12, 2011

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Actually, switching my vote from

to

because I hadn't realized how little time there was left to vote. We should really take National Bank next time, though, guys :ohdear:

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?

Why do I vote for the Bill of Right? Because I loving remember what happened. I was probably the loudest person rooting against Wiz in HOI2 as I wanted the monster WE created to be killed. I do not want for history to repeat itself, and neither should you. I want to be PROUD of having influenced this nation, not disgusted.

Forward on the path of greater rights, Forward on a path for a greater Azerbaijan.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Honestly I would have voted C, but there's no chance of it winning, so we might as well try and make sure Poland will help us out if need be.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Those things will be needed for a smooth transition from monarchy to republic

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah, in gameplay terms, A is probably the least helpful. But whatever you know, this is what comes of lots of people who have no idea how to play this game voting.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Gonna have to tolerate us an Anti-Russian alliance.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah, in gameplay terms, A is probably the least helpful. But whatever you know, this is what comes of lots of people who have no idea how to play this game voting.

Honestly, we're boned no matter which we choose. Wiz has taken away all the features he could use to exploit the AI, to the point where wars boil down to who can devote the most troops to the conflict. 0.05 on the inflation slider isn't going to give us enough troops to defend against Russia and the revolt risk mitigation of the bill of rights isn't going to do us any good since our non-Shia non-Azeri territories will be the first to fall. I know Wiz is going to pull it off somehow, but the next few years will be extremely painful.

I voted for A because I don't like how some people in this thread are voting on how they want Azerbaijan to be 400 years in the future instead of based on current events and A is most likely to defeat them :colbert:

My own justification for it is that the Shura feels it needs some executive power since the Sultan is so militarily incompetent at the time of Azerbaijan's biggest crisis in living memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Ironic Revolution posted:

Honestly I would have voted C, but there's no chance of it winning, so we might as well try and make sure Poland will help us out if need be.

If there's one thing we shouldn't tolerate, it's strategic voting. Let's have a proper preferential voting system instead of this first-past-the-post rubbish!

• Locked thread