Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

cubs2084 posted:

Uh, he's talking about The Purge. Where did you get The Punisher from?

And for the record. Punisher: War Zone is WAY better than The Punisher. However great Thomas Jane is in the role, the first movie itself was a confused mess of inconsistent tones. It had one of the coolest damned fight sequences intercut with the ridiculous neighbors dancing to music and cooking. Followed shortly by a nasty torture scene that took itself totally seriously. You have John Travolta hamming it up, and this rather dark subplot about Travolta's number 2 man being a closeted homosexual that Punisher exploits in a rather nasty way. You have the ridiculous awesome of a make shift armored car and surprise switchblade gun, and gritty, uncomfortable violence. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, MOVIE.

Because one of the characters in the Purge 2 is basically the Punisher.

e X fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Which is funny because he just played another Marvel character in Cap 2

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

cubs2084 posted:

And for the record. Punisher: War Zone is WAY better than The Punisher. However great Thomas Jane is in the role, the first movie itself was a confused mess of inconsistent tones. It had one of the coolest damned fight sequences intercut with the ridiculous neighbors dancing to music and cooking. Followed shortly by a nasty torture scene that took itself totally seriously. You have John Travolta hamming it up, and this rather dark subplot about Travolta's number 2 man being a closeted homosexual that Punisher exploits in a rather nasty way. You have the ridiculous awesome of a make shift armored car and surprise switchblade gun, and gritty, uncomfortable violence. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, MOVIE.

I always thought that the last ten minutes of The Punisher would have been great if they were in a different movie. Preferably one made in the 80's starring Steven Seagal.

Punisher: War Zone, though, whoo boy. Now that's a two-fisted movie. If you've never seen it, it can be summed up in three words: God dammit Castle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4kg4YhJpA

Edit: I just remembered this Seanbaby blurb about this movie/scene and it's so goddamn perfect

Seanbaby posted:

The thing that makes Frank Castle so great is his simplicity. Not only does the audience immediately understand him, so does every character around him. When he's about to kill someone, they don't waste time with any pleading or disbelief; they know they're hosed. In Punisher: War Zone he throws a guy named Billy into a glass recycling machine. Now, if anyone else had done this, Billy would be screaming, "No ... this can't be happening!" or "Please! You don't have to do this!" Not with Frank Castle. Billy already knows he's getting ground into flux agent, so he skips immediately to "gently caress you, Castle! gently caress you! My FAAAAAACE!!!" See the difference? Those are last words worth a busy obituarist's time.

The greatest example of this comes later in the movie after an hour or so of truly deranged screenwriting. A woman and her daughter are being held hostage until tough cop Paul Budiansky (get it?) disarms the hostage taker. While Paul is calling for backup, The Punisher walks into the dining room, calmly picks up the little girl, and sublimates the prisoner's face with a shotgun. Even with police training, most cops would need a second or two to process what the screaming gently caress they just saw, but with Frank Castle, this kind of thing is more annoying than surprising. Budiansky is already done yelling, "GODDAMMIT, CASTLE!" before the guy's brains hit the ground. I honestly have no idea how the little girl keeps from laughing.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 31, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What about the 1989 Punisher film with Dolph Lundgren?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

cubs2084 posted:

Uh, he's talking about The Purge. Where did you get The Punisher from?

If you have access to this film's commentary by Hensleigh I'd recommend giving it a listen, if only fr a masterclass in blaming everything on other people. The soundtrack - someone else; the tonal shift with the Russian & the following torture scene - In the comics, not my fault. It's just embarrassing hearing this guy blame every thing wrong on this film on anyone else, while never addressing the fact that if he had a backbone, he could have done something about it.

Warzone was loving terrible, but at least it was fun.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DoombatINC posted:

I always thought that the last ten minutes of The Punisher would have been great if they were in a different movie. Preferably one made in the 80's starring Steven Seagal.

Punisher: War Zone, though, whoo boy. Now that's a two-fisted movie. If you've never seen it, it can be summed up in three words: God dammit Castle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4kg4YhJpA

Edit: I just remembered this Seanbaby blurb about this movie/scene and it's so goddamn perfect

Punisher War Zone is so great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm disappointed in you all for not bringing up Thomas Jane's second appearance as the Punisher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Hey, remember when the Punisher reviewed The Room?

Good times, good times.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Max Wilco posted:

What about the 1989 Punisher film with Dolph Lundgren?

A classic, in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkjQEBvcAdE

"What the gently caress do you call 125 murders in 5 years?"
"Work in progress."

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 31, 2014

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

poparena posted:

Hey, remember when the Punisher reviewed The Room?

Good times, good times.

I'm the Vendetta Critic. I dismember it so you don't have to.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

Oh god yes. The last 10 minutes were what the movie SHOULD have been. Just brutal, unflinching, and increasingly over the top. It just underscored how wrong the rest of the movie got it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
New Best of the Worst!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgbB9ORqRg

Odd that this is on YouTube and not Blip. Also odd is that none of them have heard of "Space Mutiny" before. I can't remember if I heard it from this thread or not, but aren't they doing "Street Trash" on a future episode?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

Also odd is that none of them have heard of "Space Mutiny" before.

During a live Previously Recorded show one of the RLM guys, I think it was Rich, talked about how they weren't MST fans growing up and, now that they professionally poo poo on movies, they've been avoiding the show explicitly to keep from spoiling terrible films they might watch later.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DoombatINC posted:

During a live Previously Recorded show one of the RLM guys, I think it was Rich, talked about how they weren't MST fans growing up and, now that they professionally poo poo on movies, they've been avoiding the show explicitly to keep from spoiling terrible films they might watch later.

Honestly I really respect this. It's a gently caress of a lot better than hearing Spoony or whoever else ape the same MST3k jokes over and over and over and

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Punisher War Zone is so great.

Mainly because Dominic West hams it up as Jigsaw to a level rarely seen in motion pictures. West has been in some bad movies, and is usually the best thing in them, but his level of energy and scenery chewing in War Zone is something else.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Tracula posted:

Honestly I really respect this. It's a gently caress of a lot better than hearing Spoony or whoever else ape the same MST3k jokes over and over and over and

Plus, Space Mutiny is one of my favorite MST3K movies and it's not THAT bad. (It's not a good movie, but still a fun watch) I would love an actual discussion about the movie's merits and flaws.

Also, the box: First I ever heard Kalgon wanted to sell the crew as slaves.

Edit: Aww, they destroyed Space Mutiny :(

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 1, 2014

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BigRed0427 posted:

Plus, Space Mutiny is one of my favorite MST3K movies and it's not THAT bad. (It's not a good movie, but still a fun watch) I would love an actual discussion about the movie's merits and flaws

I feel this way about Soultaker.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Honestly, at least half, if not more, of the films featured on MST3K have a lot of merits that are often overlooked because nobody can watch these films anymore without the jokes playing through their heads. Humanoid Woman is a wonderful look into Soviet sci-fi, Danger Diabolik is a lot of pulpy Beastie Boys inspiring fun and Devil Doll is a deliciously dreary bit of British horror.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I always felt like that was kinda the open secret of the show. Most of the movies aren't truly terrible, just stupid, because every once and a while they'd watch a truly awful film *cough*colemanfrancis*cough* and even with the jokes it would still be nearly unwatchable.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The only MST3k episode that I couldn't get through - even after multiple attempts over the years - was Hamlet. It's so potent as a sleep aid that it should come with a warning label.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's kind of the secret of MST3K. They always seemed to pick the so bad it's good or really dumb films that aren't necessarily bad just... stupid. I mean, they had to write jokes for a movie and if the movie doesn't offer any material then it'd be a chore to watch - both for them and the viewer.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

poparena posted:

Honestly, at least half, if not more, of the films featured on MST3K have a lot of merits that are often overlooked because nobody can watch these films anymore without the jokes playing through their heads. Humanoid Woman is a wonderful look into Soviet sci-fi, Danger Diabolik is a lot of pulpy Beastie Boys inspiring fun and Devil Doll is a deliciously dreary bit of British horror.

Oh yeah, The Magical Voyage of Sinbad is a frickin great fantasy movie with legit great practical effects. In fact, I would love to own a non MST3K version of that movie.(I love how they did the golden fish) Plus, how many Godzilla and Gammera films did they do?

I think it was Frank Connif who said they didn't pick movies because they were bad, they picked movies they could best work with.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

DoombatINC posted:

Again, I think that's a great way of doing things. I've just recently been getting into MST3k and really enjoyed RLM and MST3k's different takes on Santa Claus. It's good that they're trying to avoid treading the same ground.

The black void church in High Voltage was still better than the cardboard church in Ben and Arthur. Then again, I think the people who made High Voltage had some idea of how to make a film. For a direct to video action movie, it looked like it had some very impressive stunt work.

I have a bit of a soft spot for John Phillip Law, and I wonder why he was in so many...weird, schlocky movies, considering I know him from The Sergeant, which is a pretty serious drama....directed by someone who then went on to make some schlocky Stallone and Segal type movies. I guess it came out in the same year as Barbarella and Diabolik, and I'm just assuming more people went to see those films, because..well...it's a bit more fun to see JFL be a weird science fiction spy villain than it is to see him being sexually harassed by Rod Steiger.

Excellent BOTW once again. It was hard to see which one they were going to pick. Usually there's a clear winner and one that's clearly way more painful and lame than the others.

Ghostpilot posted:

The only MST3k episode that I couldn't get through - even after multiple attempts over the years - was Hamlet. It's so potent as a sleep aid that it should come with a warning label.

I think Racket Girls was one of the worst (that I've seen so far, like I said, I've only really started watching lots of MST3k.) They really struggled to make jokes in that one, because..well...what can you say about 20 minute scenes of average looking women wrestling? The Castle of Fu Manchu was also up there in the grindingly horrible stakes.
However, films like Diabolik and Jack Frost look as if they're pretty enjoyable in their own right, which makes the episodes great, because your eyes don't want to fall out when you're looking at the footage.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 1, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So did any of you assholes actually go back and count during the last BOTW?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The worst movie I ever saw on MST3K was Red Zone Cuba. gently caress Coleman Francis.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

No, because I knew that if I tried to go back I'd be in serious danger of laughing myself to death.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think Racket Girls was one of the worst (that I've seen so far, like I said, I've only really started watching lots of MST3k.) They really struggled to make jokes in that one, because..well...what can you say about 20 minute scenes of average looking women wrestling? The Castle of Fu Manchu was also up there in the grindingly horrible stakes.

Racket Girls is one of y favorites simply because of it's dumb premise. Mob guy who runs a women's wrestling promotion and a gambling ring and tries to convince two wrestlers to throw their match,

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For me, the hardest MST3K episode was Monster A Go Go for the sheer virtue of having no soundtrack that I can recall. The watchable movies like Space Mutiny or Mitchell and especially Pumaman had some sort of musical theme/jingle that added character to them.

Color Gray
Oct 10, 2005
BARF!

Ghostpilot posted:

The only one that I almost turned off was The Wild World of Batwoman. I'm glad that I didn't though, because at the end Servo perfectly sums up my (and really, everyone's) feelings:

"ENNND!! ENNNNND!!!!"

Color Gray fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 1, 2014

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Jimbot posted:

I mean, they had to write jokes for a movie and if the movie doesn't offer any material then it'd be a chore to watch - both for them and the viewer.

Speaking of which, Lupa takes a look at Ratboy courtesy of Patreon! Thanks Patreon. :sigh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Compendium posted:

For me, the hardest MST3K episode was Monster A Go Go for the sheer virtue of having no soundtrack that I can recall. The watchable movies like Space Mutiny or Mitchell and especially Pumaman had some sort of musical theme/jingle that added character to them.
Monster A Go Go has the worst cop-out ending ever as well, which leads to some funny moments.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tracula posted:

20 on the dot. RLM always delivers.

dijon du jour posted:

Speaking of which, Lupa takes a look at Ratboy courtesy of Patreon! Thanks Patreon. :sigh:

Speaking of Paetron-solicited reviews, MarzGurl tackled Watership Down this week too, which I seem to recall was also brought up in regard to poparena's Guardians of Ga'Hoole review.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 1, 2014

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Color Gray posted:

The only one that I almost turned off was The Wild World of Batwoman. I'm glad that I didn't though, because at the end Servo perfectly sums up my (and really, everyone's) feelings:

"ENNND!! ENNNNND!!!!"

I've sometimes brought up with MST3K fans a point of discussion: which movie on the show was the best movie, on its own merits? Not counting This Island Earth from the MST3K movie, which would be a contender otherwise. I'm a fan of Diabolik, my dark horse is The Deadly Bees (clearly not #1, but not a bad movie in my opinion), and then you have Space Travelers -- far from the best episode, but the only movie on the show to win an Academy Award.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Any of the Soviet fantasy movies would be up there for me ("The Day the Earth Froze" is gorgeous). "The Magic Sword" and "Gorgo" are fun on their own as well.

On topic, SFDebris did a pretty interesting review of "Logan's Run" and has started reviewing "Exosquad" a series I have never heard of that has an interesting history to it.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

OrangeKing posted:

I've sometimes brought up with MST3K fans a point of discussion: which movie on the show was the best movie, on its own merits? Not counting This Island Earth from the MST3K movie, which would be a contender otherwise. I'm a fan of Diabolik, my dark horse is The Deadly Bees (clearly not #1, but not a bad movie in my opinion), and then you have Space Travelers -- far from the best episode, but the only movie on the show to win an Academy Award.

Can't say from the whole spectrum of the show since I've admittedly not even seen half of the episodes, but the most "movie-like" movie (if that makes sense?) I saw on the show was Squirm. Not that it made it good, mind you, but it felt like a decent--if stupid--renter.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DStecks posted:

I always felt like that was kinda the open secret of the show. Most of the movies aren't truly terrible, just stupid, because every once and a while they'd watch a truly awful film *cough*colemanfrancis*cough* and even with the jokes it would still be nearly unwatchable.

I remember reading an imdb review of The Beast of Yucca Flats, which had a beautiful summation of him:

“Coleman Francis was a first-time director, and thus unexposed when this film was shot, however, in a more perfect world, the film would have been unexposed and Coleman Francis shot."

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Miss Wallace posted:

Can't say from the whole spectrum of the show since I've admittedly not even seen half of the episodes, but the most "movie-like" movie (if that makes sense?) I saw on the show was Squirm. Not that it made it good, mind you, but it felt like a decent--if stupid--renter.

There is a zoo near me called Beardsley Zoo. I am incapable of seeing signs for it without thinking MR. BEARDSLEY???? Thanks, Squirm!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Robert Denby posted:

and has started reviewing "Exosquad" a series I have never heard of that has an interesting history to it.

It's kinda amazing how this series is simultaneously ahead of it's time and trapped in it's era. It has all the aesthetics of an 80's cartoon (where stuff like "line of action" and "perspective" are almost completely absent and everything looks like a toy, cause most of them were) but wants to be taken as seriously as a 90's cartoon (when stuff like Batman and Gargoyles started thinking about how to present children's media in a more mature manner), so it's got this weird mix of "serious drama" and "complex political backstory" combined with that toy commercial feel of every 80's cartoon where all the vehicles look like they're straight from the toy aisle and everybody talks as unnaturally and stiltedly as possible.

It's bad, but at least it's bad in a unique way, cause the team creating it were trying to make something good but, somehow, didn't think to divorce themselves from the other cartoons of the time. Or something. Probably need to dig up director commentaries that aren't afraid to admit that this poo poo sucks and fess up as to why.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The last couple movie destructions on Best of the Worst have been amazing. Break Dancing Rich is still number 1 by a mile, but the John Woo "Surf's Up" action death of Space Mutiny is hopefully the continuation of a new way to destroy the losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh yeah, The Magical Voyage of Sinbad is a frickin great fantasy movie with legit great practical effects. In fact, I would love to own a non MST3K version of that movie.(I love how they did the golden fish) Plus, how many Godzilla and Gammera films did they do?

I think it was Frank Connif who said they didn't pick movies because they were bad, they picked movies they could best work with.

Magical Voyage of Sinbad is actually a dubbed version of Sadko, a Russian film that's actually well-regarded and respected in it's own country. Apparently the MST3K version changes a lot for the worse.

• Locked thread