Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Zorglorfian posted:

Now onto Earthbound! Never played it (tried it and got bored), but willing to learn.

Earthbound is wonderful bizarre magic, but it may be one of those things you have to encounter at the right age to totally fall in love with.

The run should be good though, it's glitched and sequence broken to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zorglorfian posted:

Now onto Earthbound! Never played it (tried it and got bored), but willing to learn.

If you didn't at least get to Threed you didn't give it enough of a chance. Earthbound's strength is its dialogue though and I doubt this run is really gonna be a good showcase of that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

If you didn't at least get to Threed you didn't give it enough of a chance. Earthbound's strength is its dialogue though and I doubt this run is really gonna be a good showcase of that.

also yeah, as much as earthbound is probably my favorite game ever the combat's kind of a chore until you get your second party member (especially peaceful rest valley)

everyone play earthbound

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I guess this was an impromptu thing

didn't see it on the schedule

It was a donation incentive that barely beat its 2k goal.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah it's all of the dialog and funny cut scenes and without that it's pretty boring.

Best I think we'll see is some enemy evasion and some combat tricks? I don't know what the speed run looks like.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

itskage posted:

This is actually why I never beat that. Disk read error followed by the loss of hours of sailing collecting triforce pieces.

I had just finished that and my save got corrupted. Never beaten that game. Kinda sad, would like to have another go at it some day.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

raditts posted:

You can beat him without the Master Sword in OOT? I remember the first time I played I skipped the master sword because I had the Goron sword and I wailed on him for like 10 solid minutes to no effect.
The Master Sword in OoT is required to progress through the game "normally", but I think the only time you actually have to hit Ganon with it is for the final blow (and the game telegraphs the fact that you should do this). During the "hit the tail" portion of the fight, several weapons work against him (I used the hammer as a kid).

The any% OoT route involves warping to the ending tower collapse scene as Young Link, which causes two interesting effects: one, they set every weapon to 1 damage against Ganon except the Deku Stick (because Adult Link can't use it so why would it matter?), and two, at the appropriate time Young Link automatically equips the Master Sword (which you never technically obtained).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A disk system? There is a Japanese cart that I would expect to be faster.

Fake edit: Ah, that bug may be why they're doing it with this version.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
"Arbitrary Code Execution" is the most magical phrase when it comes to speed-running. :allears:

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Brother Entropy posted:

a speedrun is basically the worst way to experience earthbound for your first time, it skips all the entertaining dialog and unique character of the world

I actually plan on playing it (it's on my Wii U) sometime soon (especially with the death of Iwata guilting me into playing it.)

It's weird because I LOVE the heck out of Mother 3 and yes, I cried at the ending.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Such a sucker for real-time arbitrary code execution.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Huh, I didn't know the logo originally used a rapier or whatever that kind of sword is called

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hahahaha what

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
WHAT JUST HAPPENED

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Dat Zelda glitch

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

hahahahahahahaha

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
:iiam: and then you win.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
I blinked. What happened?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
That owned

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Lol okay

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Sockfolder is ridiculous at finding these ACE for various games.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Great run

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Arbitrary code execution glitch runs are the BEST.

"do random nonsensical thing" CUE CREDITS :golfclap:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Harass some ghosts, play some music and get them to crash the game in such a way that you get whisked away to Zelda.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Gotta go post in Coding Horrors :stare:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

SWMadness posted:

Arbitrary code execution glitch runs are the BEST.

"do random nonsensical thing" CUE CREDITS :golfclap:

I love that this also describes Sonic 06 speedruns too.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

how do people find this

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

hahahahaha holy poo poo I was wondering what he was doing with the ghosts and welp

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Manslaughter posted:

how do people find this

The game's been out for over 25 years, that's a LOT of time to comb through code and run TAS shenanigans.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

evilalien posted:

Sockfolder is ridiculous at finding these ACE for various games.

He also streams a lot when testing glitches in various games: http://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Zelda started

Zelda's over

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I had just tuned in again and saw Zelda starting so I thought I was sitting down for the swordless run. That was a surprise.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
That was actually kind of creepy. Do weird poo poo on a graveyard with ghosts everywhere, screen cuts to black with weird machine sounds in the background, then it just ends.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

nerdbot posted:

I love that this also describes Sonic 06 speedruns too.

Or playing Sonic 06 regularly for that matter.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Earthbound time baby

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Manslaughter posted:

how do people find this

I love that it's not only an incredibly specific exploit that relies on several otherwise-unrelated variables, it only even works in a certain release of the game. That's nuts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Skeezy posted:

Earthbound time baby

With Caleb Hart baby

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

That was actually kind of creepy. Do weird poo poo on a graveyard with ghosts everywhere, screen cuts to black with weird machine sounds in the background, then it just ends.

Don't forget the hyperrealistic blood

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

how do people find this

Trolling through assembly code with a decent debugger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Phone posted:

With Caleb Hart baby

lol just noticed caleb on the couch

hope we get some comedy

• Locked thread