Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord

Dominic White posted:

The first two episodes are already complete. It just ends on a 'to be continued' screen after a boss fight at the moment.

As tempting as it is to go through them now, I'm gonna wait for the whole thing to be finished. Don't want another Black Mesa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Does anyone remember Powerslave/Exhumed? First person shooter in the Build engine set in mythological Egypt. I remember watching my step dad play it some 13 years ago, and decided to try and get it working in Dosbox and fire it up. Boy is that game hard. I hopelessly died in the first mission, and then again in the training. I'm spoiled by the amazing sourceports of zdoom and eduke and the like, with my version of Exhumed you neither have mouselook and strafing is extremely slow for some reason. I looked around on google but couldn't find any sourceports for it either.

Any goons have some experience with this game or know how to make it playable?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
When I play a shooter with no (or badly implemented) mouselook, I use WASD to move, the arrow keys to aim, Ctrl to fire, and X to crouch. It's not a great alternative, but it's serviceable.

The best suggestion I can give, though, is to just not play Powerslave, because it's bullshit.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RiffRaff1138 posted:

The best suggestion I can give, though, is to just not play Powerslave, because it's bullshit.

The best solution is to play the Sega Saturn version, which was a completely different game - it kinda felt like a predecessor to Metroid Prime.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oenis posted:

Does anyone remember Powerslave/Exhumed? First person shooter in the Build engine set in mythological Egypt. I remember watching my step dad play it some 13 years ago, and decided to try and get it working in Dosbox and fire it up. Boy is that game hard. I hopelessly died in the first mission, and then again in the training. I'm spoiled by the amazing sourceports of zdoom and eduke and the like, with my version of Exhumed you neither have mouselook and strafing is extremely slow for some reason. I looked around on google but couldn't find any sourceports for it either.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the insanely slow strafing. I like the look and feel, but the strafing... it's one of the reasons I started Epic2. Which is bullshit hard for completely different reasons.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Oenis posted:

Apparently most of the effort put into Powerslave was put into the Sega Saturn version, which used an entirely different engine called Slavedriver (which was later used for the Saturn versions of Duke3d and Quake, weirdly enough).

This obviously doesn't help with getting non-crap Mouselook, but it might be more fun to play in an emulator or something.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The only Saturn emulator that's decent is SSF, and it doesn't have the ability to use a mouse unless you figure out some way to map it to the joystick/d-pad.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Oooh. Not sure if it'll be finished in time for the Cacowards, but Winter's Fury is shaping up to be a really impressive mod.

Currently 2/3 complete (and you can download a beta of those first two thirds), it's one of those campaigns that uses absolutely everything GZDoom has to offer. The core gameplay isn't too changed (although weapon balance is slightly tweaked), but it feels fresh, largely due to the shift in palette to a blue-grey-ice setting, complete with a subset of frozen demons.

My only grumble is that the intro is possibly a little long, but far better than most cutscenes done in ZDoom. Balance seems to be remarkably tight - there's just enough ammo and health to keep a decent player going on Normal, but there's not too much wiggle room.

Just finished the first chapter, this is by far one of the best mods I've played.
My only gripe is it seems poorly optimized, it can get pretty choppy for no discernible reason.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Reive posted:

My only gripe is it seems poorly optimized, it can get pretty choppy for no discernible reason.

GZDoom was never really designed for this sort of thing, so the amount of CPU power you need is a little disproportionate. It gets a little chuggy at places here, but I've only got an old 2.6ghz Core2Quad, and I think ZDoom only uses one CPU core anyway. I'm hoping to upgrade to a beefy i7 start of next year, which should be good for just about everything.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 20, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

GZDoom was never really designed for this sort of thing, so the amount of CPU power you need is a little disproportionate. It gets a little chuggy at places here, but I've only got an old 2.6ghz Core2Quad, and I think ZDoom only uses one CPU core anyway. I'm hoping to upgrade to a beefy i7 start of next year, which should be good for just about everything.

The Doom engine itself cannot be multithreaded, it would cause desyncs in netplay and demo playback. Rendering could be done in a separate thread; though there's no overwhelming need to. There are a few mods which push the limits very far (nuts, Hellcore 2.0, P:AR, this), but they're the exception rather than the rule.

ZDoom uses separate threads for some things, though; the FMOD Ex sound renderer for instance; and if you use TiMidity++ as the soft synth it's even a different process. Nothing prevents the OS from putting these threads/processes on different cores if you have them. For instance, FluidSynth is a CPU hog if you use it on an old, single-core CPU; but with a dual-core or better, you will not lose any FPS from using it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sounds about right. So, that 4.6ghz i7 I'm shooting for should provide enough power on one core to never have to worry about Doom ever again. Heh.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Well, until another mod like Cold as Hell comes out.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Someone with the means to should contact Sarge, some rear end in a top hat company called 'LeakID' is spamming DMCA takedown notices and Brutal Doom has taken a hit (check the download links in the release threads).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It's not really a huge issue - all the current v17 release candidate builds (11 was released on the 21st) can be found here, and when it's fully released it'll likely go up on Moddb, which should protect it as well. Those builds are universal, too - works on both ZDoom and Zandronum now.

Still, what kind of rear end in a top hat goes around trying to get a doom mod pulled from the internet?

Edit: Apparently the kind of assholes that run LeakID. A quick google reveals that they're on a bit of a rampage. Peoples own podcasts have been pulled, fanfics, mods and more. They just seem to be sending DMCA takedowns to everyone over everything.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 23, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DMCA and SOPA :downs:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Still, what kind of rear end in a top hat goes around trying to get a doom mod pulled from the internet?

Edit: Apparently the kind of assholes that run LeakID. A quick google reveals that they're on a bit of a rampage. Peoples own podcasts have been pulled, fanfics, mods and more. They just seem to be sending DMCA takedowns to everyone over everything.
Replacing links to all sorts of random stuff you don't have the rights to with your name and business address seems like a very strange way to make friends with the internet, but I'm sure these guys know what they're doing. :downs:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
My favorite part is that there's not even anything in Brutal Doom that anybody could reasonably file a DMCA over. There aren't any graphics, sounds, or music lifted from anywhere else. It's all either original or edits of stuff already in the game. And yet there it goes. Do people even bother investigating DMCA claims, or do they always submit instantly?

EDIT: And according to the contacts on their website, they're based in Paris, France. Isn't usage of DMCA outside the US considered fraudulent?

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 23, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I really hope this is their website: http://www.leakid.com/

MANAGING YOU CONTENT

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I really hope this is their website: http://www.leakid.com/

MANAGING YOU CONTENT

WHO WE ARE ?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On a happier note, I've found that Brutal Doom plays really nicely with Community Chest 4. The levels are generally more active and aggressive than Doom 1/2, but it never really hits crazy slaughter-map design. Generally favourable enemy density and placement to work well with the faster, more painful gameplay, although you may want to switch it down to Hurt Me Plenty instead of UV.

Also, maps 20 & 21 are a great little space adventure. I really dig non-standard settings like that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Whats the secret to getting the current build of Brutal Doom working? I tried it in Zdoom, GZdoom, and Skulltag, all errored out

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Try getting a current build of Zdoom, GZdoom or Skulltag Zandronum.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

victrix posted:

Whats the secret to getting the current build of Brutal Doom working? I tried it in Zdoom, GZdoom, and Skulltag, all errored out

Skulltag has been dead for a while - Zandronum has replaced it.

Beyond that, there's no secret. Just run the latest test build (017test11.pk3) on the latest build of Zandronum or whatever GZDoom version is newest. Runs the same as ever on both.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tried that, both ZDoom and GZDoom

"Script error, "brutalv017test11.pk3:head_sys" line 38:
"SERVERSIDEONLY" is an unknown flag

Script error, "brutalv017test11.pk3:bossbox" line 30:

Script error, "brutalv017test11.pk3:bossbox" line 91:

Tried to register class 'BloodSplashBase' more than once."

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

My favorite part is that there's not even anything in Brutal Doom that anybody could reasonably file a DMCA over. There aren't any graphics, sounds, or music lifted from anywhere else. It's all either original or edits of stuff already in the game. And yet there it goes. Do people even bother investigating DMCA claims, or do they always submit instantly?

EDIT: And according to the contacts on their website, they're based in Paris, France. Isn't usage of DMCA outside the US considered fraudulent?

Maybe they're working on the behalf of the man who did grunt04.wav

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

victrix posted:

That's weird. Try a fresh install in a new directory. Maybe it's something in a too-often-updated INI file or your skins folder that's throwing things off?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

And yet Reelism (which is pretty much built out of a ramshackle tower of ripped sprites) somehow survived unscathed. Weird. And yeah, most online services seem to take a "guilty until proven innocent" approach to DMCA complaints.

victrix posted:

"Script error, "brutalv017test11.pk3:head_sys" line 38:

Script error, "brutalv017test11.pk3:bossbox" line 30:

Script error, "brutalv017test11.pk3:bossbox" line 91:

Tried to register class 'BloodSplashBase' more than once."
You're definitely using old builds of G/Zdoom, the SERVERSIDEONLY thing was fixed a couple of months ago. When in doubt, hit up the SVN Builds site for the bleeding edge.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Newb question here, but I'm running ZDoom for Mac and loading Brutal Doom with it, how would I load custom maps? Do I dump them into my Documents folder with my Doom 1 .WAD? Also is there a way to get high-res textures loaded as well? Basically trying to hack together Brutal Doom, some new, more intense maps, and a high res texture pack?

Also can someone tell me what's that base defense mod that had RPG elements or whatever in it I think?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That did it, looks like whatever is on the gzdoom webpage itself is outdated

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Jefferoo posted:

Also can someone tell me what's that base defense mod that had RPG elements or whatever in it I think?

Are you thinking of Stronghold: On the Edge of Chaos?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jefferoo posted:

Newb question here, but I'm running ZDoom for Mac and loading Brutal Doom with it, how would I load custom maps? Do I dump them into my Documents folder with my Doom 1 .WAD? Also is there a way to get high-res textures loaded as well? Basically trying to hack together Brutal Doom, some new, more intense maps, and a high res texture pack?

Probably the easiest way:

1.) Grab the OSX build of GZDoom.
2.) Throw the stuff you want to load into GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS
3.) Run GZDoom.app and in the "Additional Parameters" field in the launcher, enter in "-file nameofmappack.wad nameofcoolasstexturemod.pk3" etc. etc... It's probably best to load Brutal Doom last to minimize clashing.

And the mod you're looking for is Stronghold.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Uh, I just dodge rolled in Brutal Doom, it pulled into 3rd person and I rolled, how do I repeat this?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I think the GZDoom download page has caused more issues and grief with incompatibility errors than anything else. The last "official" release is so woefully out of date that they might as well take down all of the download links and refer to the SVN directory, instead. I'm sure there's some programming reason for why it is the way it is, but there comes a point where the disparity between your official and SVN revisions is so great that you should probably think about making it really clear that this link is old as poo poo.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Reive posted:

Uh, I just dodge rolled in Brutal Doom, it pulled into 3rd person and I rolled, how do I repeat this?

There's a button for dodging somewhere in the bind menu. It's pretty much useless, but cute that it's included, at least.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

The Kins posted:

Probably the easiest way:

1.) Grab the OSX build of GZDoom.
2.) Throw the stuff you want to load into GZDoom.app/Contents/MacOS
3.) Run GZDoom.app and in the "Additional Parameters" field in the launcher, enter in "-file nameofmappack.wad nameofcoolasstexturemod.pk3" etc. etc... It's probably best to load Brutal Doom last to minimize clashing.

And the mod you're looking for is Stronghold.

Thanks, I'll check this out! Any map packs you guys would reccomend for Brutal Doom?

Also I loaded up Stronghold in ZDoom and getting a bunch of missing texture errors. Any idea why?

e: anyone wanna get a Brutal Doom game doing together some time?

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 23, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

victrix posted:

That did it, looks like whatever is on the gzdoom webpage itself is outdated

Yep. It's better to look at the directory directly.
http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/download/

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the GZDoom download page has caused more issues and grief with incompatibility errors than anything else. The last "official" release is so woefully out of date that they might as well take down all of the download links and refer to the SVN directory, instead. I'm sure there's some programming reason for why it is the way it is, but there comes a point where the disparity between your official and SVN revisions is so great that you should probably think about making it really clear that this link is old as poo poo.

Last time he invoked some unspecified issue with his ISP. Which is weird, since he could upload the 1.6.00 package, so he still has access to his webspace. Anyway, I mostly think he doesn't really care anymore. If somebody else didn't volunteer to keep the code in sync, GZDoom would be totally dead by now.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 23, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Wish he'd do something with the particles that fly out of dead spectres in Brutal Doom. They still look terrible. The rest of the new version is awesome. Since he's added the FEAR flying kick he should add the sliding kick too :haw:

e: also the MP40 sprites are really bad

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 23, 2012

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm using GZDoom for Mac, and I'm getting all this crazy glitching, like artifacts? polygons going nuts? It's hard to explain.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

tooooooo bad posted:

Wish he'd do something with the particles that fly out of dead spectres in Brutal Doom. They still look terrible. The rest of the new version is awesome. Since he's added the FEAR flying kick he should add the sliding kick too :haw:

e: also the MP40 sprites are really bad

I keep hearing that the MP40 looks terrible now, and some people have been posting screenshots of these really awful, distorted sprites. I just loaded up the Zandronum-compatible version of Brutal Doom V0.17test9 to see if I was having the issue, but it doesn't look like it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I keep hearing that the MP40 looks terrible now, and some people have been posting screenshots of these really awful, distorted sprites. I just loaded up the Zandronum-compatible version of Brutal Doom V0.17test9 to see if I was having the issue, but it doesn't look like it:

Yeah, that's how it looks for me, and I'm running test version 11. Download here. Equally compatible with both GZDoom and Zandronum, too.