Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

VivaVizer posted:

Though, why would Bioshock be a bad game to blind LP? If anything, I thought it being horror with jump scares and somewhat hard to predict story would make it a good game to LP.

Nobody wants to hear you freaking out on mic/see you freaking out on your scarecam. It's not like you're saying "and coming up here a splicer's going to jump out at us and start hitting us in the face", the viewer still experiences the surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

The White Dragon posted:

But to answer your question in the thread, yeah, iShowU is fuckin' fantastic. It, and its system-capture Soundflower kext, is even 100% compatible with Hackintosh! Get it, use it, it's great, best purchase I've ever made as far as capture software goes. I wish they had something as convenient as that for Windows, I know everyone raves about VirtualDub and from all accounts it's basically open-source Windows iShowU, but I've never gotten it to work at all.

If VirtualDub doesn't work for you, you might want to give AmaRecTV a try. It's something I've started using recently, and it's ended up being the best capture card software I've seen. VirtualDub has always had performance problems for me, especially when trying to capture HD video, but I've been able to capture 1080p video with Lagarith through AmaRecTV with no dropped frames. Seems to work with a variety of capture devices.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

VivaVizer posted:

Why would I redo the whole thing? Just need to keep making changes going forward. No reason to keep doing videos the same way.

It doesn't matter if video 50 is a technical masterpiece, if video 1 is crap I am going to not watch the LP.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Thwack! posted:

Well, that's the thing. I feel this whole jumpscare kind of deal that the YouTube 'Superstar' dumpster trash LPers do all the time is really getting played out. Unless you are a really funny guy with an awesome, unique idea that'll make this kind of video a worthy watch, I really don't this is cut for SA.

Sorry man :(

Hey, no biggie. But I'm not doing any of the fake, loud, annoying, screaming while on a screamcam nonsense. I actually hate that stuff normally and wanted to do a horror game my way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It doesn't matter if video 50 is a technical masterpiece, if video 1 is crap I am going to not watch the LP.

Alright, so just to be clear, the expected way of doing a VLP here would be to do a first few videos, post them, see if they are up to snuff, and then go from there?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

VivaVizer posted:

Why would I redo the whole thing? Just need to keep making changes going forward. No reason to keep doing videos the same way.

I'd say redo the whole thing just because of the increased technical aspects, not to mention that it'd be better overall. Like OFS said, if your first video sucks noodles, I'm not going to give a poo poo to watch anything beyond that.

quote:

Though, why would Bioshock be a bad game to blind LP? If anything, I thought it being horror with jump scares and somewhat hard to predict story would make it a good game to LP.

I don't want to have to hear you be scared of something you're playing, whether it be through aural terror or by you having a scarecam set up in the corner. Besides, you don't have to tell the viewer what's going to happen.

Not to mention, with all the various Plasmids and what-not, doing it blind could end up being a very boring experience. You could end up just finding a few Plasmids that work for you and not showing off any sort of impressive combinations of Plasmids.

VivaVizer posted:

Alright, so just to be clear, the expected way of doing a VLP here would be to do a first few videos, post them, see if they are up to snuff, and then go from there?

That sounds about right to me. Make sure you're technically sound and sound commentary wise before you go nuts making videos. That's what this here Sandcastle is for. People will critique and help you as much as you let them (i.e. don't be a shitbird about it).

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

VivaVizer posted:

Yes, but to be more clear, it's more like this:

You make your OP for the Thread you'll be starting for your LP, It should explain the game a little bit and give the viewer a general idea of what to expect. Then, you post that along with either the first real update you'll be doing. That is, the first real update with actual gameplay and commentary to judge.

After that, people will comment on what could be done better and what outright needs fixing. Once you know what needs to be done, you go back and REDO THE UPDATE taking into account everything that was mentioned. Repeat these steps until your update is deemed good. THEN you post the thread and go from there.

When it comes to a test post, you don't actually NEED a full OP for it, but it does help since people can let you know if you have too much information in the OP or if you need more. The main point of the Sandcastle though is to help people make sure their LPs are actually competent and good.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Leavemywife posted:

That sounds about right to me. Make sure you're technically sound and sound commentary wise before you go nuts making videos. That's what this here Sandcastle is for. People will critique and help you as much as you let them (i.e. don't be a shitbird about it).

Alright, then what would be the best way forward? Not forward to get a thread. Forward to get feedback and critique. Really it is the quickness of feedback that I am interested in. Haven't seen a community so quick to respond.

I'm in the middle of a LP. And really don't have time to start another LP if I want to maintain any quality. What would be the best way to get criticism then?

Though I'm rather curious would be considered a good game to do a blind LP of. Really thought Bioshock would be a good game to do without the generic scarecam and yelling into a mic.

On the other hand, you might be right about the plasmids. I don't really experiment much with it and have to spend all my time looking for audio diaries blindly because I don't want to miss any.

What about Mirror's Edge then? I was thinking about doing that next because it seemed rather challenging to present. I almost see it as a puzzle game. If you know everything, then the audience doesn't really get time to take in the puzzle/challenge/obstacle and think about the way to solve it. If you do it with no knowledge, you might miss either an awesome solution or bang your head into a wall over and over.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

See post 2 for details.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 4, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sorry if this is a double post. Forum just wigged out on me for a sec.

I'm pretty sure that the recycled LP rule only applies to making new threads. Posting an ongoing LP in the Sandcastle for comments and criticisms is alright, so long as you do not turn around and post it in the forum. After all, any heeded advice could be applied to the next go-round.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

VivaVizer posted:

Alright, then what would be the best way forward? Not forward to get a thread. Forward to get feedback and critique. Really it is the quickness of feedback that I am interested in. Haven't seen a community so quick to respond.

I'm in the middle of a LP. And really don't have time to start another LP if I want to maintain any quality. What would be the best way to get criticism then?
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for criticism on an LP you already have running, but what people here are saying is that an in-progress LP wouldn't be suitable for a thread. Just apply the criticism to a future LP instead of posting the currently-running one with improvements after update 50.

Part of the LP culture here at SA is that in between updates, people talk in the thread about the game and what just happened in the latest update. That's really easy with bite-size chunks of game every few days, and really hard with some dude coming in and dropping 50 videos that everyone has to watch before other people's comments make sense.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VivaVizer posted:

The way forward is to play a game you know and love. You don't have to know it inside and out, but if the answer to the question "Can I beat this game?" is anything less than "probably", pick something else.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Blind lp's are an odd beast. More than likely they will end up as poo poo since most people like the lper to know the game they are showing off. Take Geop's blind lp of Dark Souls right now. It works because he has proven to be a competent lper before, and he's got co-commentators that help him through the unknown.

If the choice comes down to it, I'll always recommend that you do something that you know and love rather than any game that you had sitting around.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

VivaVizer posted:

Though I'm rather curious would be considered a good game to do a blind LP of. Really thought Bioshock would be a good game to do without the generic scarecam and yelling into a mic.

On the other hand, you might be right about the plasmids. I don't really experiment much with it and have to spend all my time looking for audio diaries blindly because I don't want to miss any.

What about Mirror's Edge then? I was thinking about doing that next because it seemed rather challenging to present. I almost see it as a puzzle game. If you know everything, then the audience doesn't really get time to take in the puzzle/challenge/obstacle and think about the way to solve it. If you do it with no knowledge, you might miss either an awesome solution or bang your head into a wall over and over.

Just because you know the best or most efficient way to proceed in a game doesn't mean you have to blitz through it in the LP. If you think something needs to be shown off to the audience, take your time with it. Think of your recording playthrough kind of like you're a TV cameraman: look around, focus in on the important things but don't linger too long, show off what the audience will probably be most interested in and skip or accelerate what they won't.

As for the choice of game, I still think the best thing is what this subforum really got started with - pick something you really love and that you don't think got the attention it deserved, then show us why it's worth a second look.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

VivaVizer posted:

You don't have to start anything to post a test post. I posted two test posts of Pokemon White before I was even done with The World Ends With You.

VivaVizer posted:

Though I'm rather curious would be considered a good game to do a blind LP of.

Get a friend who knows about the game to guide you and to provide information. Alternatively, don't.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

VivaVizer posted:

Though I'm rather curious would be considered a good game to do a blind LP of.

A good game to do a blind LP of is a game that where doing it blind can tangibly add to the LP. Usually, doing a game blind will detract from the game. There should be a solid reason that the LP needs to be done blind - "So people can see my genuine reactions" is not one.

Is there a reason that you need to do games blind? People are here to see a proper Let's Play of a game and be taken on an adventure, they're not here to watch you play with your toys.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Brainamp posted:

Blind lp's are an odd beast. More than likely they will end up as poo poo since most people like the lper to know the game they are showing off. Take Geop's blind lp of Dark Souls right now. It works because he has proven to be a competent lper before, and he's got co-commentators that help him through the unknown.

Hmm, that setup sounds interesting. So he always has someone co-commentating?

Egomaniac posted:

Just because you know the best or most efficient way to proceed in a game doesn't mean you have to blitz through it in the LP. If you think something needs to be shown off to the audience, take your time with it. Think of your recording playthrough kind of like you're a TV cameraman: look around, focus in on the important things but don't linger too long, show off what the audience will probably be most interested in and skip or accelerate what they won't.

Alright, I'll try to keep that in mind whenever I do Mirror's Edge. I thought it was a fun game but I wasn't sure how to present it. I've seen people blitz through games and people fail over and over. Neither was all that appealing.

You don't have to start anything to post a test post. I posted two test posts of Pokemon White before I was even done with The World Ends With You.

So wait, can I do test posts for games that I might not even LP?

That'll give me plenty of practice.

So how should I go about asking criticism of my current LP? I'm still enjoying what I am doing but would always like to improve. I've recently started Fort Frolic which I think is near the halfway point and I've been trying out new things with my editing and commentating.

It never had a cam of any type and there was never loud screaming because that stuff is annoying. Really at this point of the game, I think I mostly just go "oh poo poo" at most. But it definitely has to stay blind at this point.

Episodes are typically 20-30ish minutes long.

Should I post from the last natural starting point which was the start of Fort Frolic two episodes ago? I update Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday but I would assume me posting every update here would be annoying. Maybe I should just post an episode every time I tried out new changes in my editing.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 4, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

VivaVizer posted:

So wait, can I do test posts for games that I might not even LP?

My first test post was for Final Fantasy II.

I don't think I'll ever LP it. :v:

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

My first test post was for Final Fantasy II.

I don't think I'll ever LP it. :v:

Oh, that's beautiful then.

It isn't just Mirror's Edge that I have no clue how to present. I've been trying to figure out a way to do Kotor as well and mostly been practicing with Tor footage. But never quite get it right.

Or is Kotor overdone because so many people love Kotor?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Kotor is a game that is generally going to work best in an SSLP or hybrid format. It's a text-heavy RPG with fairly repetitive combat, so you don't really get much out of using video for it aside from the voice acting, which can be shown off without making the whole thing a VLP.

e: Which is not to say that it can't be done. I'm sure there's a way to make kotor work as a VLP in the same way that there are good VLPs of some Final Fantasy games going on right now, but it would really need to be carried by the commentary, probably with a genuinely funny crew of co-commentators.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 4, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VivaVizer posted:

It isn't just Mirror's Edge that I have no clue how to present. I've been trying to figure out a way to do Kotor as well and mostly been practicing with Tor footage. But never quite get it right.

Or is Kotor overdone because so many people love Kotor?

Screenshot LPs may be old as dirt, but they're good for some games, especially those with repetitive gameplay (most RPGs). If you're gonna go screenshot, though, take video anyway - you can pull stills from the raw video that way, and make GIFs to boot.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Oh, I was just going to skip all of the combat. Because it is more boring than watching my laundry in the dryer.

But I really liked the voice acting like when Bastila gets fluster. And the joy in HK-47's voice acting.

Or is just having video of cutscenes and maybe some traveling clips to maintain connectiveness between parts not liked.

edit: Might be right that a co-commentary pair with great chemistry would be needed.

Still going to give it a shot as a test post in the future though. Even if it doesn't work out in the end, I love Kotor enough to at least try.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 4, 2012

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Physic Powers is a sure sign of a Meth Addiction. Let's Play Phantom Dust

Phantom Dust is an action card based game that was heavily inspired by the collectible card game Magic: The Gathering. The game was made by game developer Yukio Futatsugi, who prior to this game made Panzer Dragoon 1,2, and Saga. He was also responsible for the combat system and many of the story elements in the game Ring of Red.

Phantom Dust is an original Xbox exclusive title made by Futatsugi, while being employed by Microsoft of Japan. The game strangely almost never made it to NA shores, especially considering that Futatsugi made it specifically to appeal to us in the west. Even during it's development it was fully translated into English and voice acted in English. No matter what, despite the really good reviews it got in Japan, Microsoft didn't want to bring it over saying it didn't have the appeal.

Luckily, for those like me, the folks over at Majesco opted to publish the game over here. The best part is when it came out it was 20 dollars. Which if you ask me, was a steal at twice that price. Still to this day, the game remains a cult classic, but was the main reason why I got an Xbox.

So, what I wanted to do was to show this game off to the best of my abilities, and hope that you all will enjoy the ride. Considering the unique characters and premise, you all will quickly be drawn into it like I was. There's actually a lot about Phantom Dust's history, but that will probably be for a later time.

The game takes place in what is a post-apocalyptic earth, where the population has suffered from massive amnesia. It's our job to bring people back to the surface and regain everyone's lost memories, as well as finding these strange ruins everyone has memories about.

The Characters
The Protagonist: Not much is known about him outside of the fact that he was found in a similar metal pod as Edgar. He can go by many names, but mostly he's refereed to as The Protagonist until he gets one of many. He does not speak, nor will he ever.

Edgar: Found in a metal pod the same way as The Protagonist. He holds a locket with a woman's and his pictures inside it. It reads "Freya and Edgar" and that's how we know his name. He's a bit arrogant, but seems to have a bound with The Protagonist.

Freya: Not much is known of this woman outside of the picture in Edgar's Locket and what we see of her in the opening cutscene.

The Videos
Phantom Dust Episode 1

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 2, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just out of curiosity, what kinda of games / LPs would work well when played blind?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Xander77 posted:

Just out of curiosity, what kinda of games / LPs would work well when played blind?

Miasmata comes to mind. Something that is simple in mechanics, but is atmospheric and the journey brings the entertainment. The kind of game where not knowing everything isn't detrimental.

That's all I got. Otherwise, blind runs where the LPer has an assistant/co-commentator who does know it, and can stop them getting stuck.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Very very few, and as the above posters have mentioned, I would say that there are none that are best LPed blind with all participants blind.

I'd say the best way to look at it is this way: is my presentation going to be better if I know what the hell is going on? If the answer is yes, then don't LP the game blind.

For example, a blind LP of Nethack could be pretty amusing, in theory. There's a hell of a lot of stuff that can happen, and Nethack is basically a bunch of buttons to push and levers to pull and boom, out pops a result and now you're polymorphed into a rat while a demon lord bashes you to death. However, while this is amusing, it is amusing in the same way as would be watching a small child jump for a cookie out of his reach. And, just like this small child, the amusement quickly passes, to be replaced with annoyance and boredom at the lack of depth to the entertainment.

Don't be that small child, and don't make blind LPs.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Open world games are fine too, assuming the player is competent at them. You can always get goons to give you hints if you don't know what to do.

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
Supergraffiti and Moominbiscuit played bargain bin games (usually) blind and made some of my favorite LP videos in the process, but that worked because A) The videos were mostly one-off and in no way informative, B) Nobody else had played or would want to play them, so they weren't ruining what could have been a good look at a game and we got to experience the absurdity by proxy, and C) They were willing to scrap and redo videos that didn't work; some of their videos represented their fourth time doing something because it worked better than just posting the first video they could.

Slowbeef playing Metroid Prime was also fantastic, but he had co-commentators making sure he didn't spend three hours walking in circles (they got it down to just two and a half). A lot of the Retsuperae videos are blind, but the footage has already been recorded by someone else so, again, there isn't much wasted time.

Also, in both of those situations the commentators really understand how to make a train wreck entertaining. Other than no hentai and the three month rule, we don't have many real restrictions; it's just that its really hard to make a blind video worth it to watch. If you can do it, go for it. Hell, if you can make a Pig Latin LP of Sudoku done in character as Poseidon and make it worth watching then go for it. It's just that it's so much harder to make something like that work that you shouldn't try unless you already know what you're doing, and certainly not if your only reason is that it's funny when you scream.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The Fallout LP is one of my favorite LPs and it's played blind but it works because it's written well and as the main character's diary. My favorite part is when the LPer apparently thinks the game ends when you return the water chip, so the diary goes from "I want people to see all this to know what I've been through" to "Oh what the gently caress they're sending me out again?!".

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

The problem is you just don't know.

I based the Metroid Prime blind LPs off the fact that Super Metroid is really easy to do blind: If you're getting 100% items, that means you get a lot of energy tanks, which means you're overpowered and don't have to repeat a whole lot of content...

But what I didn't know was that both Echoes and Corruption have mechanics to counteract this, and can actually get really hard (I had to do most every boss fight multiple times).

I think you want a game most everyone knows, but you don't - that way, your audience is "in the know" and you're not. (Now that I type that, a game where the audience discovers things with the LPer might be interesting too... )

But the thing that really helped me was having an expert guest, or at least taking tips from the thread. Your big challenge in a blind LP is repeated or monotonous content, and you want someone who knows the game to tell you how - or if - you can avoid it.

Either way, edit often!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Xander77 posted:

Honestly? None, really. The only reason blind LPs ever 'work' is purely the strength of the commentator and their ability to be humorous/entertaining enough to make up for the actual video being uninformative.

The way to do a 'blind' LP, in my opinion, is the way people have settled on for a while of having one of the commentators experiencing the game blind while another is super-knowledgable about the game. Even then, I'd personally much rather the person actually playing the game be the one who knows what they're doing - you get all the benefits of a fresh reaction with none of the frustrating aimless wandering for hours on end.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Honestly? None, really. The only reason blind LPs ever 'work' is purely the strength of the commentator and their ability to be humorous/entertaining enough to make up for the actual video being uninformative.

The way to do a 'blind' LP, in my opinion, is the way people have settled on for a while of having one of the commentators experiencing the game blind while another is super-knowledgable about the game. Even then, I'd personally much rather the person actually playing the game be the one who knows what they're doing - you get all the benefits of a fresh reaction with none of the frustrating aimless wandering for hours on end.

Another acceptable situation I think is blind LP's of sequels. Playing the new Zelda blind or whatever after playing every other Zelda is probably not gonna lead to too much aimless wandering. (Of course Zelda's a bad game to do this with, but yknow.)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Make an entertaining series of videos.
Get good at making the videos.
Don't make a video LP for e-cred here.

There's lots of things I could watch or could do instead of someone fumbling through some game and screaming randomly for 27 hours. If you can't think of any reason I should watch your video don't bother with your video.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Possibly co-op games where only one player is going in blind, but that's all I can think of.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This is why you hate CoD: Let's Play 007 Nightfire (PC version)

Released in 2002, 007 Nightfire is a thoroughly unremarkable game. Normally it would be a terrible choice for a game to LP, however, this LP is going to be about more than just the game. Nightfire's mediocrity is precisely what makes it a valuable tool for examining the recent history of game design: contained within it is the reason why modern shooters are the way they are, in almost every fashion, save for the fixation on the War on Terror (which was a backlash against the over-saturation of WWII titles). Thus, this series will be 50% straight-up VLP of the game, and 50% examination of game design in First-Person Shooters. At the beginning, the focus will be largely on examining the game itself, and as the LP continues the focus will shift to Nightfire's place in the history of shooter design.

Throughout the LP, I will attempt to recreate the experience of a first time playthrough, since many of the points I wish to make are most salient to somebody going in blind. However, I will try to not let this detract too much. I don't care about spoilers, because there is nothing to spoil. The game has no plot twists or revelations that detract from the experience by being foreknown.

Youtube via Polsy | Post: in OP
COMING SOON
COMING SOON
COMING SOON
COMING SOON
COMING SOON
COMING SOON
COMING SOON

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

flatluigi posted:

Pretty much this. Generally, there needs to be a good reason for an LP to be done blind and even then, there are a ton of pitfalls that need to be worked around in Planning and Editing. I often cite Geop's Dark Souls LP as a great example for this. The fact that the element of surprise adds so much to that game specifically, that he's competent with the mechanics from the previous game, and that he's got an intelligent and experienced co-commentator keeping him on the right track makes it a fantastic example. His reasons for doing it blind go deeper than "so people can see my reactions," or "so it will be more genuine," both of which translate to "because it's less work."

A lot of people's reasons for doing blind LPs boil down to it being more fun for them, the LPer, immediately. Specifically, the kind of no-effort mindless fun that most people have simply playing a game. It's as if they say, "If I'm not having fun at this specific instant, then LPing is a waste of time." They really would be better off just playing the game and not recording at all.

Re-running segments to re-record isn't fun, so they don't do it. Watching your video back and planning out thoughtful commentary isn't fun, so what's the point? Making edits and cuts in the right places is a chore, so they don't bother. Learning about proper video encoding is boring, so just render at whatever**. Anything that doesn't involve me pushing buttons and making noises at the screen is useless - after all, isn't that what a Let's Play is?

Basically, people who like playing video games but aren't really cut out for building something for others and don't really care to learn, but still want to be praised by YouTube for showing up. They don't want to make a Let's Play to show off the game, they just want people to watch them play videogames like that time when the neighbor's kid came over to their house - as I phrased above, they want to make "Watch me play with my toys".

If you like creating things, and/or have any pride of ownership, then those un-fun steps I listed are actually a lot of fun. Going from Nothing to Planning to Recording to Editing to Commentating to Spicing Up to Finished Product is a blast.

**although actually I found learning proper encoding to be painful as well - fortunately you only have to do it once (unless of course you find something better, then you learn that too)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Jewel posted:

Another acceptable situation I think is blind LP's of sequels. Playing the new Zelda blind or whatever after playing every other Zelda is probably not gonna lead to too much aimless wandering. (Of course Zelda's a bad game to do this with, but yknow.)
After having LP'd Donkey Kong Land, I've contemplated ever since to do the sequel as a blind LP. I know the big brother (DKC2) by heart, generally how Donkey Kong works, had almost zero trouble with DKL itself, and it's a platformer where you go from left to right, what can go wrong? It's not like it's a romhack that would force me to spend 2 hours on a 3-minute-level until I could do that one jump (every jump is that one jump).

A really simple game at heart wouldn't need an experienced co-commentator is what I'm saying. You can't get lost in a jump&run.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Jewel posted:

I sort of did this with Sword of Seals. Mechanically, it's nigh-identical to Blazing Sword so it's not like I was going to encounter anything that would throw me for a loop. I did one practice run before starting the actual LP that went about ~3/4 of the way through the game, and there are two points where the game goes on alternate routes for several chapters at a time, so I only saw one of each of those routes. Aside from looking at a map ahead of time to plot out a general strategy and making sure I don't miss anything important (ie characters, secret shops, etc), I'm doing the endgame stuff completely blind.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
A couple of things; first off I'd say it's not really necessary to see an image spam of every chapter header for your videos. One is enough and even that is probably unnecessary for your test post (unless it's something you want feedback on). Secondly I don't know if your intended approach is the best as I was watching the first video and the first thing I hear is 'This game is poo poo and I hate it.' That's cool and all that, but I personally have little want to watch someone LP a game they hate. Now you state that it's invariably to show off common themes and ideas with other FPS', but I got about a minute or two into actual game play and didn't really hear any of that. It just seemed to be you being down on the game without explaining why; especially when you got to the point of pointing out you're playing the PC version but the Gamecube version is better. How is it better and what's wrong with the PC version? No idea cause you just seem to drop it there.

In regards to the video, I'm a bit confused because it seems like the video is in widescreen but the actual game play area is only 4:3. Does the game actually have widescreen or what's the resolution on the video, because something seems off there. Also I'd say that having a video in 1080 is fairly pointless and all that, but it's purely up to you. Audio wise you were understandable and I had no real problems there.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
I would rather say that you could use a fair bit of auto ducking if you're going to commentate over the cutscenes. Commentating in post may also help to weed out a fair bit of cut off sentences. Being one who has only played the console versions of Nightfire I was surprised over how incredibly different it is to the PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Niggurath posted:

A couple of things; first off I'd say it's not really necessary to see an image spam of every chapter header for your videos. One is enough and even that is probably unnecessary for your test post (unless it's something you want feedback on). Secondly I don't know if your intended approach is the best as I was watching the first video and the first thing I hear is 'This game is poo poo and I hate it.' That's cool and all that, but I personally have little want to watch someone LP a game they hate. Now you state that it's invariably to show off common themes and ideas with other FPS', but I got about a minute or two into actual game play and didn't really hear any of that. It just seemed to be you being down on the game without explaining why; especially when you got to the point of pointing out you're playing the PC version but the Gamecube version is better. How is it better and what's wrong with the PC version? No idea cause you just seem to drop it there.

In regards to the video, I'm a bit confused because it seems like the video is in widescreen but the actual game play area is only 4:3. Does the game actually have widescreen or what's the resolution on the video, because something seems off there. Also I'd say that having a video in 1080 is fairly pointless and all that, but it's purely up to you. Audio wise you were understandable and I had no real problems there.

The reason why there wasn't much of the design history stuff in the first video is because I wanted it to be more of an introduction to the game itself, to provide a foundation for the later design stuff. I didn't get much into why I hate the game because explaining all the ways in which Nightfire fails on a design level is going to be the meat of the LP, and I don't want to tip my hand too early.

Nightfire does not have widescreen, as far as I can tell. Fraps recorded it at 1080p because that's my monitor's resolution.

Atomikus posted:

I would rather say that you could use a fair bit of auto ducking if you're going to commentate over the cutscenes. Commentating in post may also help to weed out a fair bit of cut off sentences. Being one who has only played the console versions of Nightfire I was surprised over how incredibly different it is to the PC version.

I would use autoducking, but I don't think Fraps supports it.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 4, 2012

• Locked thread