Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Jamesman posted:

"Content creator" isn't pretentiousness or professionalism. It's just stating things plainly that a person creates content. Some people may use it to sound like they're ultra-cool-sophisticated dudes, or you may read the term and consider it to be super-lame-douche, but generally it's not that at all and people should maybe chill out.

Words are weird and people are weird for using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's really not. It's just a minority of people who would probably be making as much money if they were doing anything else.

You just described the entirety of the entertainment industry. By and large most of the people working in TV and movies don't get paid much; it's just the few big names that make it rich.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CJacobs posted:

I don't think his point was about how much the big guys are making. People that make a living doing LPs whether they make thousands or millions are quite literally the 1% of people who regularly do Let's Plays. They are as minor of a minority as you can get. It's not a business because your average person doesn't do it for the business, only the people who do it for a living do.

edit: Well, unless you count accepting donations or patreon or whathaveyou, but that's a whole different discussion.

Oops yeah i mistook what he said sorry

Rannos22 posted:

Just because one guy makes 7 mil doesn't mean that its a million dollar industry.

I'll back down on this (as it was mostly a combination of less people apparently hitting the 7-figure number than I thought and hyperbole), but the point of it stands that by some hosed up twist of fate this has turned into a serious business career for a respectable amount of people and its super silly to be all "heheh they care about it" imo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think anybody here is making fun of people that care about what they do either for fun or for a living; the subject of peoples' laughter is the drama itself, not the fact that them taking LPing seriously caused the drama. People do do that and they shouldn't because it's like well who the hell are you, but that's not the case here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, how will Youtube LPers react to this? How can you Let's Play A MOVIE!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbteoIpdXBo

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbteoIpdXBo

The guys at RiffTrax do it all the time.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

CJacobs posted:

I don't think anybody here is making fun of people that care about what they do either for fun or for a living

I'm pretty sure there's quite a few people here who do exactly that. Not in this specific instance, mind, but they definitely make fun of people who care about Let's Play; or even if those people care about Let's Play in the wrong way and not exactly how they dictate one must care about Let's Play (usually half a paragraph or a throwaway sentence that also contains self-deprecation so people know you don't really care). And then probably also say something along the lines of "no I totally care about LP, I just think it's stupid to treat it more seriously than a certain amount I decided was enough".

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RareAcumen posted:

People LP David Cage "games" all the time.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

frozentreasure posted:

I'm pretty sure there's quite a few people here who do exactly that. Not in this specific instance, mind, but they definitely make fun of people who care about Let's Play; or even if those people care about Let's Play in the wrong way and not exactly how they dictate one must care about Let's Play (usually half a paragraph or a throwaway sentence that also contains self-deprecation so people know you don't really care). And then probably also say something along the lines of "no I totally care about LP, I just think it's stupid to treat it more seriously than a certain amount I decided was enough".

Yeah

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's too bad "video creator" is outlawed by the rules of language. Then we could not reduce all things people watch for entertainment into a bland corporate catch-all term.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

So It Goes posted:

For those of you who thought doing LPs of games like Mario Kart wasn't serious business: http://www.reddit.com/r/MindcrackDiscussion/comments/2opvxc/my_version_of_events_re_the_mario_kart_8/

I love the sense of self importance in display in that thread. The Mario Kart videos are no-effort videos in which a bunch of internet personalities play the game (badly), and poo poo talk one another. The only thing that was different about this guy is that he seemed like he had everybody on mute half the time and was just having his own conversation over the top of everybody else.

The only entertaining thing about them comes from when Millbee's dad co-opted the Wii-U that Millbee's younger brother owns/owned and started to join in. He has since gone on become a bigger internet celebrity than his son (the one who got his youtube channel shut down temporarily by doing a playthrough of a hentai game and forgetting to edit out all the boobies).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's too bad "video creator" is outlawed by the rules of language. Then we could not reduce all things people watch for entertainment into a bland corporate catch-all term.

When you think about it, the word "movie" sounds as archaic as "talkie" #justshowerthoughts

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

EricFate posted:

I love the sense of self importance in display in that thread. The Mario Kart videos are no-effort videos in which a bunch of internet personalities play the game (badly), and poo poo talk one another. The only thing that was different about this guy is that he seemed like he had everybody on mute half the time and was just having his own conversation over the top of everybody else.

The only entertaining thing about them comes from when Millbee's dad co-opted the Wii-U that Millbee's younger brother owns/owned and started to join in. He has since gone on become a bigger internet celebrity than his son (the one who got his youtube channel shut down temporarily by doing a playthrough of a hentai game and forgetting to edit out all the boobies).

I'd rather listen to a middle aged Welsh man play video games semi-competently than his son because at least he would have something to talk about the entire time.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

So It Goes posted:

For those of you who thought doing LPs of games like Mario Kart wasn't serious business: http://www.reddit.com/r/MindcrackDiscussion/comments/2opvxc/my_version_of_events_re_the_mario_kart_8/

A link from that poo poo, led me to this.

e: well hell, links got switched, HERE's the right one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGMLl0rWV3U

"Let me tell you how Guude called me a oval office, while I play Minecraft while ranting about him for 6 minutes." (Apparently Guude is also the one that kicked out Military LP Honor Man from the Mario Kart thing.).

The Mindcrack JUST KEEPS WIDENING

Also....

I. AM. GROOT.Gruude?

BMS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 15, 2014

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

TaurusOxford posted:

People LP David Cage "games" all the time.

It turns into a true Mystery Science Theater experience, mostly due to making fun of it all the way through.

EricFate posted:

That's the thing I can't get over. I watched a few of the MK8 videos, and they just seem like another one of those random-wacky-humor-what's-editing-why-do-that LP series that seem to rely on the strategy of "Never stop talking". I just don't see what the guy did so differently to make it so important that he was removed.

Guude and his friends don't seem like great people, either way. I just recognize the name from a World of Warcraft rage video I watched long ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Monicro posted:

Pewdiepie is making 7 million per year and even B-list guys like 2 best friends have to be getting enough to split 4 ways

People making money off of LP / video game footage at all is a travesty, and not something I could ever condone by giving it a fancy title (otoh - people who use the term "job creators" tend to be assholes, so maybe there's legitimate use for "content creators" to parallel that)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

People making money off of LP / video game footage at all is a travesty, and not something I could ever condone by giving it a fancy title (otoh - people who use the term "job creators" tend to be assholes, so maybe there's legitimate use for "content creators" to parallel that)

Nobody should ever make money for anything. Capitalism is a sham. The state will provide. Please report to the nearest decommissioning center for processing.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Monicro posted:

I'll back down on this (as it was mostly a combination of less people apparently hitting the 7-figure number than I thought and hyperbole), but the point of it stands that by some hosed up twist of fate this has turned into a serious business career for a respectable amount of people and its super silly to be all "heheh they care about it" imo

I won't back down on it - in aggregate, it's a pretty big chunk. You can see Maker, Fullscreen, Machinima's filings. How much of Let's Play factors into that, sure, argue that and what makes an LP while you're at it, but monetized game footage is turning out to be pretty big money.

The MCNs don't do all game footage, mind, but Maker's pretty big on pushing it and Disney liked them enough for a buy, so this really isn't small potatoes we're talking about.

That said, no, LP isn't likely to make you a millionaire. That said, what is?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Potato salad.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

It costs money to buy video games, better audio equipment, hosting, chicken nuggets, etc. Is there a reason people shouldn't attempt to break even if they can?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

judge reinhold posted:

It costs money to buy video games, better audio equipment, hosting, chicken nuggets, etc. Is there a reason people shouldn't attempt to break even if they can?

I'm sure there is some line between "I may as well have accidentally recorded this ten minutes of Minecraft footage, also here's eight midrolls" and "I spent money modding my X-Box, paying a reseller for a copy of Metal Wolf Chaos, and buying a capture card - can't I recoup that via monetized Let's Play?" but no one will agree where that line is.

If people can't stand it, they can ad-block you and everyone's happy.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Metal Wolf Chaos is a good game and that LPer deserves to be rewarded for his good taste in video games.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

Metal Wolf Chaos is a good game and that LPer deserves to be rewarded for his good taste in video games.

It is also the example I go to for "don't worry about your voice." Genpei Turtle was nasally as poo poo and it turned me off initially, but you get used to it and it turned out to be a drat good LP.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

slowbeef posted:

It is also the example I go to for "don't worry about your voice." Genpei Turtle was nasally as poo poo and it turned me off initially, but you get used to it and it turned out to be a drat good LP.

I don't know what this is, I assume this is some insider lingo. I have a soft spot for Phelous and his monotonous voice that sounds like the Will Ferrel character from SNL who lost control of the volume of his voice due to being exposed to gold dust at an early age.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

Nobody should ever make money for anything. Capitalism is a sham. The state will provide. Please report to the nearest decommissioning center for processing.

This, but unironically.

judge reinhold posted:

Hoping to recoup costs isn't the same as becoming a professional content creator, though. I mean, if somebody organizes a party and asks for some money for all the food and drinks they bought, they aren't getting paid for organizing parties, are they.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

Hoping to recoup costs isn't the same as becoming a professional content creator, though. I mean, if somebody organizes a party and asks for some money for all the food and drinks they bought, they aren't getting paid for organizing parties, are they.

This is nuance absent from the original quote, being "People making money off of LP / video game footage at all is a travesty".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

judge reinhold posted:

This is nuance absent from the original quote, being "People making money off of LP / video game footage at all is a travesty".

I dunno, I think that making money implies making profit, but hey, if I'm going to judge people, I may as well judge as many of them as possible.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

steinrokkan posted:

I dunno, I think that making money implies making profit, but hey, if I'm going to judge people, I may as well judge as many of them as possible.
If I could make a living playing video games for the internet or by doing anything I consider a hobby I would.
And I'm pretty sure you would too unless you suffer from some severe self-loathing, maybe, and you don't want to enjoy what you're doing. In that case I'm sorry.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

IGgy IGsen posted:

If I could make a living playing video games for the internet or by doing anything I consider a hobby I would.
And I'm pretty sure you would too unless you suffer from some severe self-loathing, maybe, and you don't want to enjoy what you're doing. In that case I'm sorry.

"If you don't want to spend your life playing video games, you hate yourself." - Iggy Igsen, tyool 2014

Anyway, my problem isn't in it being / not being fun, but in parasiting on somebody else's work. But this isn't the blasting zone and I don't want to get banned, so I guess just read the BZ archived thread for exhaustive converage of this incisive social issue.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 15, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

"If you don't want to spend your life playing video games, you hate yourself." - Iggy Igsen, tyool 2014

Oh wow. It's an actual, text-book definiton straw man argument.
With how inflationary goons in general use it as a synonym for "i'm losing this argument and i don't like it", i didn't expect to get to see a real one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

steinrokkan posted:

Anyway, my problem isn't in it being / not being fun, but in parasiting on somebody else's work. But this isn't the blasting zone and I don't want to get banned, so I guess just read the BZ archived thread for exhaustive converage of this incisive social issue.

Reviews, movies/TV shows based on books, MST3K/Rifftrax, artists clearly inspired by other artists, and a bunch more.

The spin done by the LPer(s) definitely has some intrinsic value, or else people wouldn't follow specific people like Pewdiepie and instead just watch solely for whatever games they're interested in. I don't see how it's different from MST3k, except instead of riffing the LPer can instead/also be informative on various aspects of the game (and even stuff beyond the game), encouraging the audience to contribute/affect the LP, and even add their own narrative twist to the game.

Besides, if companies don't want you making money from their work, they could just block the LPs from Youtube or go the Nintendo route and take the ad money for themselves. Of course, that means depending on game footage as your revenue source is very risky unless you're the top few guys or can stretch out into something different.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HenryEx posted:

Oh wow. It's an actual, text-book definiton straw man argument.
With how inflationary goons in general use it as a synonym for "i'm losing this argument and i don't like it", i didn't expect to get to see a real one.

He's not wrong in that it was a pretty dumb statement though. I definitely don't want to play video games for a living, I play them for fun. Doing it as a job would loving suck.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

He's not wrong in that it was a pretty dumb statement though. I definitely don't want to play video games for a living, I play them for fun. Doing it as a job would loving suck.

What he actually said was "if you could make money by doing something you considered a hobby, wouldn't you?".

I mean, you might get sick of it and end up hating your hobby, but I'd sure as hell would like to get paid to play videogames/do music/write inane stuff on the internet instead of working a 9-to-5 writing reports at an office. If I could give it an honest try, why not?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

OK, so as long as I reinvest my LP-making money back into my Steam wallet, I'm in the clear. Glad to have your approval on buying 50 more copies of Bad Rats.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dias posted:

What he actually said was "if you could make money by doing something you considered a hobby, wouldn't you?".

Then he said it in a pretty dicky way :colbert:

There are some cases where pursuing something you like doing on the side professionally is a good idea and it's entirely on a by-person basis which is why I said that I personally wouldn't ever do it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

slowbeef posted:

And then there's the Quebecois LPers. That accent sounds really weird until you adjust.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

There are some cases where pursuing something you like doing on the side professionally is a good idea and it's entirely on a by-person basis which is why I said that I personally wouldn't ever do it.

You can say the same thing about taking life advice from an LP forum. Boom. All arguments negated ever.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Dias posted:

I mean, you might get sick of it and end up hating your hobby, but I'd sure as hell would like to get paid to play videogames/do music/write inane stuff on the internet instead of working a 9-to-5 writing reports at an office. If I could give it an honest try, why not?

Why not?
Mostly because it'd probably be more work (forget 9-to-5, you're competing with people who spend most of their day on this stuff) for less pay (Sure, some people make tons of money, but for the most part you'll have just barely enough to rent a basement somewhere and live on dried noddles like some poor college student)

There are a lot of hobbies you can live off of - heck, unless you've got Dysgraphia (which may or may not be a thing that is real. That argument's not very relevant) I've been told that you can eventually learn to draw.
So, you don't want to do an office-job?
Learn to draw, ideally the high-definition computerized stuff, and start doing 'commissions'.
I rarely see (fulltime 'this is my job') commission-based artists with hourly wages under 10$, which seems to be a good margin over minimum wage, and the good ones can earn twice that if they push themselves.
With a backlog and a predictable procedure for drawing, that's essentially 'reliable income' - even if you go through a 'dry spell', you can just work on catching up on the backlog.
But that means 10-to-14-hour days for the pay worthy of a retail-clerk, and you don't get to choose what you draw (or at least, you don't get to choose everything about it)

Some people are simply too greedy or lazy to settle for 'earning a living with their hobby'

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*yaaaawwwwnnnn* *smacks lips* "Well time to greet the morning!" *literally springs out of bed and makes a pleased, heroic pose while smiling and nodding to myself*

"Wait a minute.... Awwwwww gently caress." *realises I have to record, edit, upload, and post 6 La Mulana episodes by tomorrow instead of playing video games for fun or else I won't get to eat this month* "Darn. Maybe I'll play video games for fun on my own time and not somebody else's next month when I have a clear schedule or something."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
-excerpt from A Day in the life of DarksydePhil, 2014

• Locked thread