Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

Yeah, he's doing a false equivalency between gun rights people and the plastic bag bans. Except he doesn't even mention guns, so it rings kind of hollow.

Oh god before long they will finish constructing that IRAN :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

I should think in the world of political cartooning, this kind of feedback is worth more than all the Pulitzers in the world.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Oh god before long they will finish constructing that IRAN :ohdear:

Did you push the "submit" button the same second as I did?

Just so it's on this page...

Mister Beeg posted:

Since you brought it up....

Steve Breen was supposed to be the partner in Kelley's "Dustin". Long story short, Breen's newspaper, San Diego Union-Tribune forbade him from working with Kelley. This is because the newspaper used to employ Steve Kelley (in fact, Steve Breen is Kelley's replacement), but they fired him over a butt crack. (No Seriously).

Steve Kelley, as a result, tried to sue his former employer. The judge eventually threw the case out.

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Shadowed Bacon posted:

the American Bible society is the group. "Bible-Minded" means a person reads the Bible every week and agrees strongly with the accuracy of the Bible. Most of the High Bible ares are in in the south, no surprise.

The least Bible minded included San Fransisco, Boston and Manchester. It boils down to: Bible belt = Bible and upper east coast and Cali= not Bible.

At least the people who aren't Bible-minded are honest about not reading the Bible.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Mister Beeg posted:

Did you push the "submit" button the same second as I did?

Just so it's on this page...

Holy poo poo this is amazing

quote:

A CARTOON SHOWING A BIT of bare buttocks starts a string of events that leads to the firing of San Diego Union-Tribune cartoonist Steve Kelley and criticism of the paper's failure to report it.
Kelley says the trouble began when he showed a penciled version of a cartoon to Editorial Page Editor Robert A. Kittle, who objected to the "butt cracks" Kelley had drawn on two teenagers with baggy, drooping pants. When Kelley returned the following day, April 6, with an inked, revised version, he says neither Kittle nor Senior Editor Bill Osborne were in their offices, so he left the cartoon with a third editor, a move that "was not unprecedented."
Kittle says the cartoon was never approved for publication and that he pulled it from the prepared page. Kelley says that on April 9, Osborne accused him of trying to sneak the cartoon into the paper and lying about it. He responded with an obscenity and, after a meeting with Editor Karin Winner, was suspended for two weeks "pending an investigation."
Osborne and Winner declined to discuss what happened, citing legal restrictions.
After weeks of what he calls "back and forth" with the paper over whether he would resign and accept severance in return for silence, Kelley was fired on May 25, with no severance, which he says would have been "hush money." Days later he told his story to a local television station that had contacted him, and a few days after that, the paper ran a news story about the incident, including a quote from Winner saying the paper should have reported on Kelley's departure the day he went on TV. The U-T's readers' representative, Gina Lubrano, chided the paper for being so slow to level with readers. The paper received about 150 letters and dozens of calls.
Kelley says he thinks his firing was partly about his political philosophy, which is "fairly right of center," on an editorial page staff so politically divided "it's like the Middle East."
"That's preposterous," Winner says.
"The whole thing has really concerned procedure, not philosophy," says Herb Klein, editor in chief of parent company Copley Newspapers. "It's not easy to let someone go after this many years.... You just have to enforce the same kind of rules for everybody."
Kelley, 42, a high-profile local figure who conducted part of the interview with AJR via cell phone while playing in a golf tournament, says he can afford to wait for a job he really wants. Meanwhile, he's asked the paper to apologize for its accusations. "This has been my life for 20 years," he says. "I'm proud of what I've done here. I would just like the record corrected."

"Ya gotta give me the butt cracks!!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing

"Ya gotta give me the butt cracks!!

Haha, I kept reading this as Kelly, and wondered why I hadn't seen this on The Onion before. Poe's law I guess...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why does everyone think the shorthand for "Mexicans" is "moustaches"?
Haha, using the "gateway drug" fallacy to combat the "legal weed = weaker cartels" argument.

Action-Man posted:

Do people really still believe in the gateway drug theory?
I think a lot of people that are adamantly against legalization believe in it, but they don't bring it up unless pressed.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 31, 2014

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Lycus posted:

Haha, using the "gateway drug" fallacy to combat the "legal weed = weaker cartels" argument.

I think a lot of people that are adamantly against legalization believe in it, but they don't bring it up unless pressed.

Besides that, what's the point of importing stuff like heroin and cocaine when you can just make synthetic versions (fentanyl and meth)?

And I guess synthetic THC, but why bother when it's so easy to get marijuana?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lemming posted:

I'm not sure that predicting future textbooks will be full of lovely political cartoons is being optimistic.

I was referring to my students having textbooks whose 'current map of the world' had been updated since the fall of the USSR, let alone reached 2008-2014 in coverage.

:smithicide:

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

I don't know what else he was supposed to be holding.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Objection: Based on the configuration of the tail fins, that's a Predator drone, but it's apparently carrying a Mk82 bomb. Which is rather silly.

It's also hovering like a helicopter for some reason.

Pit of Despair
Feb 1, 2008

One mother held her baby's face to the floor and chewed off his feet and fingers.

Action-Man posted:

That would be Bennett.

Man...I can totally see this thread causing the same thing to happen, but instead it's Ramirez getting his cartoons with lengthy left wing screeds pasted all over them. Or maybe just "see that big thing you drew? Label it debt. You know you want to."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jakcson posted:

Besides that, what's the point of importing stuff like heroin and cocaine when you can just make synthetic versions (fentanyl and meth)?

And I guess synthetic THC, but why bother when it's so easy to get marijuana?

Fentanyl is not much safer than heroin and meth has a different mode(s) of action than cocaine.

alsoe what the hell is that guy on about? Is it jus more 'Gateway drug hurrr de harr' or something else entirely?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fentanyl is not much safer than heroin and meth has a different mode(s) of action than cocaine.

alsoe what the hell is that guy on about? Is it jus more 'Gateway drug hurrr de harr' or something else entirely?

It's straight up gateway drug bullshit. If we legalize pot to cut in on the cartels they'll just make up the difference by the legion of people who will now be ripe for heroin and cocaine due to their reefer madness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Action-Man posted:

Do people really still believe in the gateway drug theory?

Yes. The statistical evidence is that those using certain drugs are more likely to use certain others. In addition to marijuana, it's also been tentatively proposed for nicotine and alcohol, but causation is difficult to demonstrate because the mechanism of action is unclear- in some cases or with some drugs, as mentioned above, it may just be an effect of social factors. A 2011 study in mice found a potential priming effect for cocaine via nicotine, which if it is real/significant, and if it translates to a human model (not small issues), would provide the first potential for an etiological explanation. The problem is that politoonists and pundits overstate the theory's strength- like any other addictive substance research, getting strong evidence is borderline impossible. Gateway drug rationales are a poor basis for policy until stronger proof emerges.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 31, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why does everyone think the shorthand for "Mexicans" is "moustaches"?
I love how he didn't know any other drugs other than cocaine and heroin.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Well, you also have to think about the fact that even if there's some potential minor influence towards trying other things, it's not at all prevalent. There are poo poo tons of people who smoke weed and that's about it. I'd say probably most people who smoke weed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pit of Despair posted:

Man...I can totally see this thread causing the same thing to happen, but instead it's Ramirez getting his cartoons with lengthy left wing screeds pasted all over them. Or maybe just "see that big thing you drew? Label it debt. You know you want to."
Meanwhile, Mike Luckovich receives another anonymous package of pants.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Every Muir is peak Muir.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
S-S-SUUUCK
OOO-AHHHHH

Also I initially read the last panel as "Bill wore it the last time he was in her." :negative:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I fully endorse this new direction for the Administration. Savings for everyone!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

How dare he use constitutional powers, that's literally rewriting the constitution!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Hasn't Obama used a very low amount of executive orders, compared to other recent presidents? I swear I just saw a chart showing this the other day.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Don't let facts get in the way of a good talking point.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This is dumb. It might be redundant to say that but this is dumb even for Muir. It's sub-Muir.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Hasn't Obama used a very low amount of executive orders, compared to other recent presidents? I swear I just saw a chart showing this the other day.

Lowest per year since Benjamin Harrison.

MetalixK
Aug 12, 2013

Not gonna lie. If Hillary actually started walking around in a Darth Vader outfit, she'd be my pick for the next presidential race.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Muir, I was 5 when the Monica Lewinsky scandal happened. Let it go.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

What the gently caress is a "mask recording"??

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Eponymouse posted:

What the gently caress is a "mask recording"??

Presumably she's got an MP3 of Darth Vader's respirator on loop.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tifosibella posted:

Presumably she's got an MP3 of Darth Vader's respirator on loop.

Actually, the mask recorded Bill and Monica from back in the day.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

From now on I'm going imagine that Obama is always doing a Palpatine impression, and Hillary is always wearing a Vader mask. Thanks Muir, that's actually a pretty hilarious mental image.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

XavierGenisi posted:

From now on I'm going imagine that Obama is always doing a Palpatine impression, and Hillary is always wearing a Vader mask. Thanks Muir, that's actually a pretty hilarious mental image.

"Let the hope flow through you."

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Because Bill Clinton is a philanderer, you see.

Did Muir recently get the Star Wars box set collection or something? Fucker has been on this stupid Star Wars poo poo for the last few days.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes. The statistical evidence is that those using certain drugs are more likely to use certain others. In addition to marijuana, it's also been tentatively proposed for nicotine and alcohol, but causation is difficult to demonstrate because the mechanism of action is unclear- in some cases or with some drugs, as mentioned above, it may just be an effect of social factors. A 2011 study in mice found a potential priming effect for cocaine via nicotine, which if it is real/significant, and if it translates to a human model (not small issues), would provide the first potential for an etiological explanation. The problem is that politoonists and pundits overstate the theory's strength- like any other addictive substance research, getting strong evidence is borderline impossible. Gateway drug rationales are a poor basis for policy until stronger proof emerges.

I'd always thought the idea wasn't that marijuana makes you more physically susceptible to addiction to harder drugs, but that the action barriers you have to clear in order to use marijuana illegally (finding dealers, risking arrest and imprisonment, buying and owning paraphernalia) are similar enough to those that stand in the way of use of other drugs that once you've cleared them it's not much of a jump to go from one to the other.

In other words, marijuana is a gateway drug because it is illegal.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

StarMagician posted:

I'd always thought the idea wasn't that marijuana makes you more physically susceptible to addiction to harder drugs, but that the action barriers you have to clear in order to use marijuana illegally (finding dealers, risking arrest and imprisonment, buying and owning paraphernalia) are similar enough to those that stand in the way of use of other drugs that once you've cleared them it's not much of a jump to go from one to the other.

In other words, marijuana is a gateway drug because it is illegal.

StarMagician...being right???

Oh god I'm in a mirror universe, gently caress.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A Monica Lewinsky reference and joke in the year 2014 :allears: careful now you might set the comic world on fire with such timely and biting commentary

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A Monica Lewinsky reference and joke in the year 2014 :allears: careful now you might set the comic world on fire with such timely and biting commentary

It might actually be pretty timely. Wasn't Rand Paul talking about Monica Lewinsky not that long ago? Seems like the new GOP strategy to winning 2016 is to make Hillary look bad via Bill, since their only other chance is going down in flames.

fake edit: To win 2016. Although the Benghazi thing is also going down in flames. Or never was. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I see you're continuing this storyline, Chris! The joke is alright, but you're slipping a bit on the clarity. Also, you could stand to draw more of the images yourself. You know those pictures you're tracing belong to somebody, right? Making money off of other people's images is a no-no, Chris. I want you to study this website and take the quiz on it. Get a perfect score and show it to me and I'll give you extra credit!

• Locked thread