Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That ring would've been really useful if I only knew where it was. Ah well, I've made it to Queelag already so there's no sense going back. I think I've got her measure for the most part, except I haven't figured out what to do about her area attack that keeps instant killing me.

I also had my first real invasion (as in not Kirk or Mildred) tonight! He kicked my rear end with giant lightning bolts and some kind of crazy super fast slashing attack. It also didn't help that he attacked me right when I got to the front of Queelag's Domain for the first time with three fat men with boulders also attacking me. It was still pretty exciting for all of the minute the battle lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

That ring would've been really useful if I only knew where it was. Ah well, I've made it to Queelag already so there's no sense going back. I think I've got her measure for the most part, except I haven't figured out what to do about her area attack that keeps instant killing me.

Yeah, that attack tends to be a one-shot kill. The easiest way to avoid it is to back off whenever the human part of her lays flat/slumps over. This is probably the best reason to not strictly attack her from behind or from an obstructed side-view since your vantage of her human form may be blocked and its the source of the tell for her big attack. Once you know what to look for, you should be able to get out of the area of effect in time.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Matlock Birthmark posted:

You know, I've never heard him called Wandering Demon before. Yes, the ring is very useful for the swamp part of Blighttown. In fact, I'd say it's one of the areas that ring was made for.

Whoops. Yeah, Stray Demon. Don't know where I got wandering from

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sivek posted:

This is probably the best reason to not strictly attack her from behind or from an obstructed side-view since your vantage of her human form may be blocked

That's definitely the problem I'd been having. I'll try to figure out a better vantage point to attack from so I can figure out the tell for that attack. Thanks!

E: HAHA TAKE THAT SPIDER LADY! That was so close! She stopped spewing lava and just kept attacking over and over again and I used my last estus flask and decided to just charge in and slash away until she died.

And now I rang the second bell and a GIANT or something opened those big gates and now I'm basically in hell. This game is so cool you guys. Why did I wait so long to play it!?

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 10, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
For all that is holy, go back up a little and check for invisible walls in the room that is below where you rang the second bell. It might not seem like much, even if you don't plan on playing that covenant, but the bonfire there is one of the only you can teleport to later in the game. And there are a bunch of shortcuts that will make the later game awesome.

Just please don't attack the servant.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just spent 2.5 hours meeting and enjoying Gwyn. What a horrible PITA.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Regy Rusty posted:

That's definitely the problem I'd been having. I'll try to figure out a better vantage point to attack from so I can figure out the tell for that attack. Thanks!

E: HAHA TAKE THAT SPIDER LADY! That was so close! She stopped spewing lava and just kept attacking over and over again and I used my last estus flask and decided to just charge in and slash away until she died.

Not useful to you now, but there's a pretty distinctive "scrunching up" motion on the legs, and a lowering of the main body before the aoe that's fairly noticeable from any angle.
I actually did notice this my first time through. It looks a little similar to the tell for her leg stomp attack so any time I see either I just take a step back.

Also, not related to the aoe but try point blank circle strafing to the left. This works on...a lot of things, really.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

For all that is holy, go back up a little and check for invisible walls in the room that is below where you rang the second bell. It might not seem like much, even if you don't plan on playing that covenant, but the bonfire there is one of the only you can teleport to later in the game. And there are a bunch of shortcuts that will make the later game awesome.

Attacking the servant won't harm much unless they want to use pyromancy and don't upgrade the flame before sending Laurentius to his death. What he gives isn't particularly important besides that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

a medical mystery posted:

Attacking the servant won't harm much unless they want to use pyromancy and don't upgrade the flame before sending Laurentius to his death. What he gives isn't particularly important besides that.

It just killed me when I saw slowbeef kill him indiscriminately. :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Fake walls is a pretty mean trick. I take it there are more of these in the game?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Fake walls is a pretty mean trick. I take it there are more of these in the game?

The one you found is probably the most important one, the rest lead to neat but not super necessary things.

There's a really mean one at the bottom of Blighttown (another one that is).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh good, now I get to choose between the route with 10 Capra Demons or 10 Taurus Demons.

I... think I'm done with Hell for now.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes. Like others have said, you found one of the most important one. Another important one is at the point where you can head to the butterfly or the big door. The other dickish one in my opinion is one that behind it has a chest, which then has another hidden wall behind it that leads to entire new optional area of the game.

Regy Rusty posted:

I... think I'm done with Hell for now.

"Hell" is a place that you come back to later. It's not on the "standard progression" path for you right now. The standard path at this point would be to head back to where you saw the giant open the gate. Also, since you might also consider messing around with the elevator between undead parish and firelink shrine. Their is more to Firelink if you use the elevator to access it.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 10, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I figured that gate was where the game wanted me to go. It's just such a loooooong walk back through Blighttown that I was hoping to find somewhere else to explore and maybe another shortcut or something.

I still haven't found the path between Blighttown and the Valley of the Drakes. Is it worth searching for that down here or should I just suck it up and start climbing back up?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I figured that gate was where the game wanted me to go. It's just such a loooooong walk back through Blighttown that I was hoping to find somewhere else to explore and maybe another shortcut or something.

I still haven't found the path between Blighttown and the Valley of the Drakes. Is it worth searching for that down here or should I just suck it up and start climbing back up?

Look outside Kellogg's room (back in the swamp) for a big ole' "water" wheel, follow that, and enjoy the happy sigh and smile when the "sun" hits your face.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Regy Rusty posted:

That water wheel in the swap takes you back up, and from there you'll find the path from Blighttown to Valley of the Drakes, and then from Valley of the Drakes to Firelink. It's much shorter, and once you see where it is, you'll understand how people can skip the Depths/most of Blighttown.

But yes, it is a longer walk back, but any areas connected from Blighttown right now would more of a pain in the rear end without a later ability.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Blighttown has a long rear end shortcut, but you don't actually need to fight the fat guys on your way back.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd climbed all over the water wheel area before (getting the Fire Keeper soul, etc) but somehow I'd managed to miss one ladder that kept going up. What a relief to finally get to the safety of the Darkroot Basin bonfire.

That shortcut's pretty neat. If I hadn't gotten scared of the drakes when I came at it from the other end I could've gotten down to the bottom of Blighttown when I was exploring a few days ago. Though it's better this way since now I've already got Upper Blighttown totally looted and probably never have to go back there.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Though it's better this way since now I've already got Upper Blighttown totally looted and probably never have to go back there.

If you have in fact fully looted upper Blighttown, there's no reason to revisit it later in the game. (e: Even if you haven't, Power Within is the only thing I'd suggest backtracking there to get.)

There is, however, some stuff worth revisiting lower/swamp Blighttown for, though. But that's much easier to get to and much harder to die in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Somebody murdered the Firelink Firekeeper. That's so sad. :(

It seems like I'm supposed to do something about this but the orb I found doesn't do anything.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

It seems like I'm supposed to do something about this but the orb I found doesn't do anything.

It can only be used in a certain place. You'll know when.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh right, you rang the second bell, and that's the trigger for that event. Don't worry, you'll know when you need to use the item. But a word of advice once you use the orb/do what needs doing, go back to Firelink.

Also, did you meet the new NPC at Firelink?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Using a Firekeeper's Soul like any other consumable item will give you 5 humanity, but prevent you from using that Firekeeper's Soul for other, more interesting things. Fair warning.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
More interesting things than reinforcing your Estes flask, FYI. I learned that the hard way.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Think I might try an SL1 run and stream it tonight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I figured that out right at the beginning of the game. I'm currently at +2.

E: Oh wait in addition to reinforcing?

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 10, 2014

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I figured that out right at the beginning of the game. I'm currently at +2.

E: Oh wait in addition to reinforcing?

No, reinforcing is what he meant :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh okay good. That was explained pretty clearly when I first tried to talk to the Firelink Firekeeper.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
There's one particular Firekeeper's Soul you don't want to use for reinforcement, though. Kinda spoliery I guess, but it screws you over a little bit if you don't notice.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Never not read item descriptions if you don't want to avoid not looking like a fool later

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Next I think is Sen's Fortress for you. That should be a ton of fun.

As for "hell", you'll be glad to know that all the taurus demons are permanently dead in the open area once you off them, but they respawn a little further into hell. But by that time you should be ready for hell.

Capra demons have incredibly short aggro ranges, so you can walk right in top of them without angering them now, thanks to a patch. Makes fighting them a lot easier.

I would want to give you a clue about the hidden bonfire in Sen's Fortress, but I have a feeling it would also kind of kill any threat Sen's Fortress poses up to that point, so tell you what, if you manage to get to the roof area and still haven't found the bonfire and you are really, really sick of Sen's Fortress, well you can look it up or I'll spill the beans I guess. :ohdear: Not really sure how to go about this without "ruining" it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just found an exposition serpent! Nice to finally learn what my mission is. Kinda. What does feeding him do?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I just found an exposition serpent! Nice to finally learn what my mission is. Kinda. What does feeding him do?

He eats items and shits souls, pretty much.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

He also chomps up titanite bits into their smaller versions. Green titanite makes him spit out five normal shards, an utter boon for upgrading stuff from the ground up. Also don't give him slabs what are you doing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

He eats items and shits souls, pretty much.

He'll also break titanite pieces into smaller titanite pieces. Don't feed him any of your chunks or slabs though.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Never not read item descriptions if you don't want to avoid not looking like a fool later

I didn't realize you could read descriptions whenever you wanted until about halfway through the game. I tried to glean everything from the loading screens before then.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Interesting side note: Frampt seemingly hates dragon slayers. He'll only give you 1 soul if you feed him Ornstein's for example.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Interesting side note: Frampt seemingly hates dragon slayers. He'll only give you 1 soul if you feed him Ornstein's for example.

Wait are you sure about that? I thought it was the soul of Smough that Frampt disliked.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Not actually true, he'll give you 8000 souls for Ornstein's soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Wait are you sure about that? I thought it was the soul of Smough that Frampt disliked.

This is correct because Smough is a massive (literally and figuratively) fucker that everyone hates and it's a miracle that Ornstein put up with him long enough to wait for and try to kill you.

• Locked thread