Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vertigus posted:

So you can do it properly instead of just blowing dust into areas that are even harder to reach.

Get a can of air that has a nozzle thing. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Get a can of air that has a nozzle thing. Problem solved.

Except you need to shoot the air through the top of the heat sink from the bottom.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Say, if the Hyper 212+ is too big to fit (once installed) inside my desktop case when the side panel is attached, should I just forego said side panel and its (I believe 80 mm) fan?

Mind you, this would only be in consideration if the Hyper 212+ actually prevents my CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, 3.4 GHz quad-core) from reaching mid-60s C like it regularly does in Bad Company 2, mid/high-50s C in other games...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Maxwell Adams posted:

The heatsink I installed in my system was pretty awesome. It had these bits on the sides that sort of plugged on like legos, then you turned a couple levers and that was it. Hard to comprehend the instructions, but very easy to put together. The heatsink is a Scythe Big Shuriken, a specialty heatsink for HTPC's.

See, and that's what gets me. It's not like an easy to install heatsink has never been made. The Shuriken is a great example of one that is easy to install. And yet in spite of the evidence that easy to install heatsinks can be engineered, most companies are still putting out designs that require you to have 3 hands and x-ray vision to install.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Charles Martel posted:

Heatsinks with plastic pins should be outlawed.

The stock intel ones really are loving dreadful. My in-laws had a PC built for them by a local retailer (WHY YES, PEOPLE THAT USE OFFICE AND PHOTOSHOP ANYONE NEEDS RAID-0) and it stopped working about two years after they got it - just would suddenly reset itself after a few minutes of operation. I took a look, thought it would be a good idea to clean all the dust out of the case (sits on the floor in a house with a big dog and two cats) and found that half of the sodding pushpins had come out. Did my best to get the thing going again, but no joy.

Ended up building them a new one for about half what they'd paid for the stupidly badly specced dead rig and managed to squeeze a decent GPU in there as well so now it is constantly occupied by my 16 year old brother-in-law playing games off've steam.

So yes, bollocks to Intel heatsinks and bollocks to computer builders that put unecessary crap into a PC in order to exploit people that don't know any better.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You guys are missing out on all the fun with your "easy to install", "practical" heatsinks. Not much can scare you after you've had to put the weight of your entire 15-year-old body onto one end of a flat head screwdriver in order to try and force a bracket to clip onto the motherboard in your first computer. You're pretty much ready to be an IED defuser in Iraq after going through that poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

VDay posted:

You guys are missing out on all the fun with your "easy to install", "practical" heatsinks. Not much can scare you after you've had to put the weight of your entire 15-year-old body onto one end of a flat head screwdriver in order to try and force a bracket to clip onto the motherboard in your first computer. You're pretty much ready to be an IED defuser in Iraq after going through that poo poo.

I know what you mean, but I'd really still rather have one of those than an intel stock one. Yes, you feel like you're going to break some very very expensive electronics when you install them, but at least it'd be YOU doing it rather than it just happening anyway because the heatsink fell off.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I just installed a stock one on a i5 2500k and it was easy, in fact all of the heatsinks I've installed have been relatively trouble-free. :shobon:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The most annoying heatsink i tried to install had confusing metal clips you had to screw in, except the holes were threaded wrong and I didn't have the tools to fix it, so I was just screwed.

Nevitt
May 30, 2011
The Noctua and Prolimatech heatsinks have a pretty neat way of installing that is almost foolproof (if time consuming). gently caress those little metal clips to attach fans on though, took me half an hour to figure those out.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

VDay posted:

I forgot about those. I had to buy heatsinks with 3 prong clips because I would always break part of the socket with the screwdriver trying to get them down.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

Wait, you have an i7 and a 5870? I think you put the money in the wrong place

Bought the 5870 a while ago when it was new-ish. Got the i7 relatively recently. 5870 is still good enough for me not to want to spend whatever amount on a better card yet.

Nevitt posted:

The Noctua and Prolimatech heatsinks have a pretty neat way of installing that is almost foolproof (if time consuming). gently caress those little metal clips to attach fans on though, took me half an hour to figure those out.

Yeh they are a real pain in the rear end to get on properly. Overall though the Noctua heatsink was pretty simple, no snapping in or anything. Just a series of screws.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

mcvey posted:

I just installed a stock one on a i5 2500k and it was easy, in fact all of the heatsinks I've installed have been relatively trouble-free. :shobon:

No-one's saying the stock intel ones are hard to install, just that they're way more likely to come off at some point down the line. That's what makes them crappy, not the installation.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Nevitt posted:

Yeah those fan clips took me ages to work out :/ I eventually just used some pliers or something and wrenched them into place.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

VDay posted:

Installing CPUs before the introduction of ZIF sockets was fun too. "Push this thing in with all your strength, oh, and if one of the 400 pins didn't exactly fit, congratulations you just destroyed half a paycheck".

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Do you have a link for this interview?

I know this post was a good week or so ago, but I've only just got back from a festival. Anyway if you're still interested in Valve's corporate structure here's the interview: http://www.develop-online.net/features/1192/Gabe-Newell-on-Valve .
edit: there's also this http://www.podcast17.com/interviews/audio/gabe-newell/ which I seem to remember going into a little more detail about the fact that everyone who should otherwise be working on Episode 3 are choosing to do more interesting things, but it's been a while since I listened to it?

It's clearly completely great that their company is able to function in keeping with such noble ideals, though I can't help but think that it's only possible for Valve to work in this way because Gaben already made his millions at Microsoft and so doesn't need outside investors, producers, maximised profit margins and efficiency reports, whatever, and also because Valve only really hires the cream of the crop.
I really like their corporate structure but I have a feeling it's not so much that this kind of structure brings out the best in people creatively, but that it forces Valve to make sure to only hire the kinds of super-qualified people that can handle such an open environment.
So why they thought it was a good idea to hire Icefrog, I'll never know.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 16, 2011

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Charles Martel posted:

Welp, I think I finally found the issue to my hardlocks after playing games for several hours that came back the other day. I took the heatsink off of my CPU to blast the dust out of it with compressed air thinking that would help it along better, only to find game were locking up even ore frequently than before.

Turns out after monitoring my CPU tempature it was quickly reaching levels of around 90 degrees Celcius under load (!!). No problem, I thought. Probably just needs new thermal paste, and since I had a $10 Best Buy certificate, I bought the Dynex brand earlier today. Put a little on the CPU and heatsink after cleaning them off and it was then I realized the heatsink (stock e8400 from Intel) was loose and one side of its plastic pushpins broke off. Great.

So now I'm waiting for this fan to come in either today or tomorrow and am afraid to play anything until it gets delivered to my doorstep. Then I can totally "pwn n00bs" again or whatever the kids call it nowadays.

Heatsinks with plastic pins should be outlawed.

I hear you on your woes man, I've been battling random reboots & bsods for the last little bit. Can't predict when it'll happen, it just does. I RMA'ed everything in my system apart from the PSU, slapped a new one in there last night thinking 'welp, this has gotta be it' and wouldn't you know it, 3 separate bluescreens. fuckin' hell. They seem related to gfx card tho, so I'm tossing money at another card, see if I can get this drat system stable, I've been dying to have a stable system for months now =( I play games in abject fear, never knowing when it'll happen. There's no goddamn rhyme or reason. *please let it be the video card, I could use a break, so could my wallet, and my sanity*

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

When I installed my heatsink I felt like my motherboard was going to snap in half. Then, I installed a third-party fan for my CPU because I read that the normal fan didn't cut it, and thought my CPU was going to explode into many pieces. I don't enjoy installing heatsinks at all.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Chortles posted:

Say, if the Hyper 212+ is too big to fit (once installed) inside my desktop case when the side panel is attached, should I just forego said side panel and its (I believe 80 mm) fan?

Mind you, this would only be in consideration if the Hyper 212+ actually prevents my CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, 3.4 GHz quad-core) from reaching mid-60s C like it regularly does in Bad Company 2, mid/high-50s C in other games...

Computers are designed to be closed systems. Leaving the side panel off just destroys whatever airflow you have going and ensures your computer will be a dust magnet. Also, do you want to have all your parts exposed all the time? There's a million things that can go wrong. Take the side fan off.

And my 212+ prevents my CPU from even reaching 60C - it idles at around 32-34, and it's summmer here. This thing is ridiculous

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I'm dumb as poo poo and about to make a huge mistake.

Which is better, HoN or LoL?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Category Fun! posted:

There is no correct answer to this question. You may have just started a massive multi-page debate.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 16, 2011

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There is no correct answer to this question. You may have just started a massive multi-page debate.

I know, and like I said I'm dumb as poo poo! I just heard that they're both free and I want to know which one I should try.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Category Fun! posted:

I know, and like I said I'm dumb as poo poo! I just heard that they're both free and I want to know which one I should try.

For what its worth, I've only played a little bit of both, and had a little more fun with LoL. HoN is more of a direct rip of DOTA and more hardcore. LoL has a much smaller competitive community. My best suggestion is to download both now that they're both free to play, then decide which one you like more before you spend any money.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Category Fun! posted:

Witcher 2

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
When I was working student tech support at my old uni, we once had someone come in asking for help with their desktop since it was running really slowly, so we asked him to bring it in, since it was our policy to not go to students rooms unless it was necessary. He said it was absolutely impossible for him to bring it in since it had no case, it was just the mobo with installed chips/cards/RAM, the PSU and a HDD sitting on a table. :doh: He also asked us to do physical repairs on his Zip Disk Drive once. In 2010. I knew him personally, he was not trolling us.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Category Fun! posted:

LOL is different enough from DOTA that it will likely survive when DOTA 2 comes out. HON is a copy of DOTA down to the core, and it's possible that it will lose a lot of players after DOTA 2 hits. On that basis, playing LOL will most likely not be a complete waste of time come next year.

Right now, at least, LOL also has a larger community and many more games played per day. Both communities are fighting it out for worst gaming community in existence, so be warned.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

When I was working student tech support at my old uni, we once had someone come in asking for help with their desktop since it was running really slowly, so we asked him to bring it in, since it was our policy to not go to students rooms unless it was necessary. He said it was absolutely impossible for him to bring it in since it had no case, it was just the mobo with installed chips/cards/RAM, the PSU and a HDD sitting on a table. :doh: He also asked us to do physical repairs on his Zip Disk Drive once. In 2010. I knew him personally, he was not trolling us.

Seriously I transferred all my Zip disk files to a CD-R once we got a burner. Then again, we had one of the parallel externals as opposed to the SCSI device, so the thing ran like poo poo. I was used to thinking floppy discs sucked, but.. man.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Category Fun! posted:

If you're new to DotA-alikes then play LoL, if you have played DotA for years and are already a wretched husk of a human being then play HoN.

Personally I find the slight difference in mechanics makes LoL a more fun game, the biggest thing for me is that just about every character has the potential to steamroll the enemy without having to be pigeonholed as a "carry" before you even start playing the game.

Funso Banjo posted:

Both communities are fighting it out for worst gaming community in existence, so be warned.

The worst aspects of the DotA community are ever-present in HoN, while people are less prone to being raging dickheads in LoL(though it will seem more common the more you play). Both communities are loving disgusting examples of what it is to be a decent human being and finding players that don't fit into the awful stereotype is pretty hard regardless of which game you look into, but overall I'd say that while at their worst LoL players can be just as bad as DotA/HoN players they are generally better behaved.

I highly recommend giving LoL a try though, very fun game, and from what I remember of the US LoL goons they are usually happy to give you advice and play games with you, I don't think there are many, if any, other goons that play on the EU(west for me) servers though.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Category Fun! posted:

I kind of want to try one of those after hearing the Giant Bomb guys discussing LoL on their podcast, but a more sensible part of me knows I have a million other games I still want to play and I should just wait for Valve's game. Every Valve game I've ever played has surprised me with how much better it was than what I was expecting, and I've always had pretty high expectations for their games so I feel this is a safe bet.

Plus I have a feeling it'll be more popular than either of those games, so the ratio of new people figuring things out to veterans freaking out at you will be pretty favorable at release.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
DoTA and DoTA-like games are just terrible and boring, I must admit, I really don't see the fun in them at all.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Brace posted:

DoTA and DoTA-like games are just terrible and boring, I must admit, I really don't see the fun in them at all.

I thought that about TFC(Albeit I played it a few years after launch), and then Valve made TF2, so I'm hoping Valve will be able to pull of making DOTA fun too.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What's up with the windows experience index number? Apparently my netbook is a 2.3 and that's totally meaningless to me. What, if anything, is it used for?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What's up with the windows experience index number? Apparently my netbook is a 2.3 and that's totally meaningless to me. What, if anything, is it used for?

Nothing.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Brace posted:

Neither do I, but I'm curious so I want to try it. I know I'm going to end up hating it but if nothing else making people mad will at least provide some sort of entertainment. v :) v

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I dunno, to me they're more like a fleshed out PvP version of a diablo-like. I can see why they're so popular, and had fun with LoL, I just never wanted to get deep into it, and they seem like all-or-nothing affairs where either you learn how to play well or you don't bother playing at all. That last part is what I hope Valve improves on with DOTA2. The ability to have casual matches without learning the intricacies of the game, and the ability to be matched with other like-minded people.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I thought that about TFC(Albeit I played it a few years after launch), and then Valve made TF2, so I'm hoping Valve will be able to pull of making DOTA fun too.

DOTA2's gameplay is going to be a literal carbon copy of DOTA1's gameplay, right down to every single hero's statistics, movement speeds, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Category Fun! posted:

LoL is slower, hero design is less focused, it arguably has more visually distinct graphics, and is basically DotA Lite. It's more newbie friendly but an objectively worse game for competition.

HoN is faster, hero design is more synergistic, the graphics are muddy and full of particle effects, but it's a lot easier to rack up kills and have a significant individual effect on the game (for better or worse.) You'll lose a lot at the beginning because matchmaking throws you to the sharks and then adjusts you downward, but if you tough through that and learn the game I think it's a lot more fun than LoL.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's a general indicator of your computer's speed, but it's not really that reliable. Like, mine's 7.2, but everything's 7.9 except my hard disk transfer rate because my SSD is slow? Or something? I don't know. It's an easy way to see bottlenecks, but anyone who knows anything won't need windows to tell them that. Also it's out of 8 for no reason (and you can never hit 8)

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I just started LoL as my first Dota experience, and the 40min minimum time to win/lose is a real bummer. It's kind of fun, but it's not the sort of game I care enough to want to get good at it. And the match length is too much for me boot it up casually. I'm still trying it out, but I doubt I'll stick with it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

It's a general indicator of your computer's speed, but it's not really that reliable. Like, mine's 7.2, but everything's 7.9 except my hard disk transfer rate because my SSD is slow? Or something? I don't know. It's an easy way to see bottlenecks, but anyone who knows anything won't need windows to tell them that. Also it's out of 8 for no reason (and you can never hit 8)

Yeah. My CPU and RAM are 7.2, my graphics card is 6.9, but since my HDD is 5.8, my index is 5.8. It's dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Back when Vista just came out and GFWL was launching and MS was hoping everyone would move over to it, they were making a somewhat big deal out of those ratings saying that they made it easy to reliably judge system requirements. You can still see this in the Windows' Game browser that nobody uses, it lists the requirements for almost every game you have installed. LEGO Batman recommends a 5.6 system but I only have a 5.5 :( (guess what, it runs flawlessly)

It's even more retarded now that the hard drive speed is everyone's bottleneck, so Windows is literally judging your capability to play each game based solely on the speed of your hard drive. That's not an especially reliable method.

• Locked thread