Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Revenants, Arch-Viles and Pain Elementals are pretty easy once you know how. Allow Rottking to demonstrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
On this topic, I can't even guess how many hours I've spent watching Watakid and some others just totally loving wreck chillax survival (watching because I'm always dead within a few minutes). For anyone who doesn't already know, it's a wad with ludicrous numbers of high-danger enemies that involves exploiting weaknesses and abusing infighting to complete levels. It's really magical what some people can do in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncQf4CClZnk

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jefferoo posted:

I'll try asking again, can anyone tell me why I'm having this issue with GZDoom for Mac? I get it in Dawn of War: Soulstorm as well.

It's a graphics processor issue (not sure if it's hardware or drivers). If you don't mind playing with nauseating Y-axis looking, then disable OpenGL in the display settings.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kins posted:

Revenants, Arch-Viles and Pain Elementals are pretty easy once you know how. Allow Rottking to demonstrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA
This is way more informative than I thought it would be.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jefferoo posted:

I'll try asking again, can anyone tell me why I'm having this issue with GZDoom for Mac? I get it in Dawn of War: Soulstorm as well.

Given that the Warhammer 40K engine and GZDoom have pretty much nothing in common except for being hardware accelerated, the culprit here is faulty hardware.

Try to see if updated drivers can solve the issue; otherwise play Doom with a software renderer. (And for WH40K, there is no alternative.)

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Dominic White posted:

Because Timidity is a pain in the rear end, I just decided to upload a quick Fluidsynth + Soundfont pack for ZDoom. A one-step solution to much nicer sounding MIDI music.

Just unzip, drop into your (G)ZDoom directory, add the line to your INI file that the readme file says, and you can use the Fluidsynth option. The soundfont included is pretty great for most stuff. Far better than FMOD, especially when it comes to anything guitar-based.

This doesn't quite work for me. I've downloaded this file twice now and both times I tried opening it with WinRAR only to get an empty folder. I decided to try and use 7zip itself instead, and while that let me see the files inside the .7z, they're all named "Doom Fluidsynth" and none of them have file extensions that tell me what they are.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Fluidsynth, the old version has memory leaks. There's a new DLL now.

catlord posted:

Don't forget that Revenants will also shoot you in the face even when you're right up next to them hoping they'll try to punch instead. They are astoundingly unpredictable, I find.

They'll only shoot in close range after having been hurt. You inflict them pain, they retaliate once with a missile, regardless of range. Then they're back to trying to slap you.

Very predictable, actually.

Also, two rockets or two point-blank SSG discharge, and they're out. If they accidentally survive such punishment, you can switch to the fist or chainsaw, because they really won't have much hit points left.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 31, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm having issues with Chocolate Doom. Doom 2 crashes during the demo, which the wiki says is because the WAD isn't patched to 1.9, but I don't know which version of the WAD I have. It's the one off of Steam.

The other problem is the game sometimes crashes when I beat a level, which might also be because my WAD isn't the right version.

edit: Now it just flat out won't let me play and crashes every time I try to start a game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hopefully this is the correct thread for it, but I've been playing the October build of Wrack, and it's really coming along nicely. There haven't been many major changes, but all the little ones are adding up. The graphics engine is fleshing out nicely, the movement feels a bit more smooth, especially the jumping, and there are some good ease of use tweaks like HP totals being shown numerically for the bosses. It's a great throwback FPS.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zeether posted:

I'm having issues with Chocolate Doom. Doom 2 crashes during the demo, which the wiki says is because the WAD isn't patched to 1.9, but I don't know which version of the WAD I have. It's the one off of Steam.

It should be the right version, then. If you want to verify, you can always use this handy little utility to compare to the values here.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Hopefully this is the correct thread for it, but I've been playing the October build of Wrack, and it's really coming along nicely. There haven't been many major changes, but all the little ones are adding up. The graphics engine is fleshing out nicely, the movement feels a bit more smooth, especially the jumping, and there are some good ease of use tweaks like HP totals being shown numerically for the bosses. It's a great throwback FPS.

Now that you mention it I'm really curious and missed the sale.

Edit: Yes, its on Steam Greenlight and looks nice but I'd love to see some kind of review about it.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I haven't tried it in a while.

My main complaint would be that the areas are kind of uninspired so far. Hopefully Carnevil starts coming into his own once he really gets into the map making.

Also, the editor is... kind of wack. It seemed like an interesting idea (I understand that he's trying to allow for interesting geometry while keeping the simplicity of sectors), but individually placing the faces of your geometry is a complete productivity killer.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

It should be the right version, then. If you want to verify, you can always use this handy little utility to compare to the values here.
Yeah, Ultimate Doom is the last version. I guess something else is causing the crashes to happen, I don't know what.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Now that you mention it I'm really curious and missed the sale.

Edit: Yes, its on Steam Greenlight and looks nice but I'd love to see some kind of review about it.
Think Doom style movement + Quake 2 style enemies + 2.5D level design, it's still way too early to really judge it more than that.

I'm waiting for the enemies and weapons to get fleshed out a lot more before I jump in again, trying out the level editor made me realize just how hard it is to make interesting levels out of what they have going on right now.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Does anyone know if there's still a way to directly contact iD Software? Last time I tried I could only find a way to contact Zenimax, but somehow I don't think they would care in the slightest about the inquiry I'm interested in making. Back in the day they had an e-mail if I remember right, but I can't find anything on it anywhere.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Does anyone know if there's still a way to directly contact iD Software? Last time I tried I could only find a way to contact Zenimax, but somehow I don't think they would care in the slightest about the inquiry I'm interested in making. Back in the day they had an e-mail if I remember right, but I can't find anything on it anywhere.

I have John Carmack's email address that I grabbed from an old .plan file when I wanted to ask a question about Doom RPG. No joke.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Brutal Doom .17 is out for Zandorum:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gbx7m94i77a2xj0

The Skulltag version is still taking its sweet time going through Modb authentication, though.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

ChickenHeart posted:

The Skulltag version is still taking its sweet time going through Modb authentication, though.

Anyone know the changelog from the test versions to 0.17?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Jefferoo posted:

Anyone know the changelog from the test versions to 0.17?

SgtMarkIV didn't post any notes on .17 due to him having "fixed too many bugs, improved too many effects, and polished too many animations to make a list of it." I'm too busy trying to figure out Zandorum at the moment to see for myself, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

You could probably ask Carmack (@id_aa_carmack) or Todd Hollishead (@Thollenshead) on Twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFbV0dGK1hI

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

You could probably ask Carmack (@id_aa_carmack) or Todd Hollishead (@Thollenshead) on Twitter.

Does Twitter have a private message feature? I've never really used it often enough to find out and this isn't really something I'm interested in posting to the whole world as... well, I guess I'd feel kind of silly.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Kins posted:

Many BoBs died in their fight against the Nazi horde, and yet Stan Uzimann only stands and watches :911:

That also sounds like an M1 MIDI in the background, and if it is,

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Playing the new release of Brutal Doom anyone have any idea how to make this game brighter because Jesus Christ I can't even see in Doom 2.

...and yes I've cranked the Gamma and brightness.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

ChickenHeart posted:

I thought the versions were unified now? At least 0.17test11 was.

Actually, is that file down for anyone else?

EDIT: I just checked ModDB, the files are up for GZDoom and Zandronum, and a mutators pack that has, among other things, the Danny Glover "gently caress yourself" sound clip.

EDIT: Hah, the readme for one of the mutators:

"BDMutator_v16ZombieSounds.pk3 will add the improved zombie voices removed in the version 16 by popular demand."

What a baby, I bet he was even madder people didn't like his real gore idea.

DiscoMouse fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 1, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I haven't seen this posted here and, uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExcL3hlBOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

DiscoMouse posted:

I thought the versions were unified now? At least 0.17test11 was.

Actually, is that file down for anyone else?

EDIT: I just checked ModDB, the files are up for GZDoom and Zandronum, and a mutators pack that has, among other things, the Danny Glover "gently caress yourself" sound clip.

EDIT: Hah, the readme for one of the mutators:

"BDMutator_v16ZombieSounds.pk3 will add the improved zombie voices removed in the version 16 by popular demand."

What a baby, I bet he was even madder people didn't like his real gore idea.

How was he being a baby about it? He removed the voices that were generally disliked, but included them as an optional plugin for the people who liked them (and if you were following any of the BD threads, there were people who, surprisingly, liked them.) He's been pretty patient with the community, given how borderline-retarded a lot of the posters are on other forums.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Brutal Doom made me reinstall Zandronum/Skulltag/CarnevilDoom. What a glorious mod.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Xenaero posted:

Brutal Doom made me reinstall Zandronum/Skulltag/CarnevilDoom. What a glorious mod.

:ssh: Don't praise it because there are some goons that will get mad at you for that.

Seriously now, 0.17 is a step forward now that Tony's voices are better implemented. I'm getting used to his taunts and not using Danny Glover's one at the moment. I was one of these that didn't like the new zombie sounds and this version is overall great for me. What I don't really get is the shotgun zooming but hey, I can just ignore it, but I can't ignore the flying kick, FEAR stlye breaking zombie's jaws all day :black101:

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How was he being a baby about it? He removed the voices that were generally disliked, but included them as an optional plugin for the people who liked them (and if you were following any of the BD threads, there were people who, surprisingly, liked them.) He's been pretty patient with the community, given how borderline-retarded a lot of the posters are on other forums.

I get the vibe he's pissed people didn't like those terrible zombie sounds. I like Brutal Doom but it's gotten pretty bloated and it's in danger of becoming an overdeveloped mess.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Simon The Digger posted:

This doesn't quite work for me. I've downloaded this file twice now and both times I tried opening it with WinRAR only to get an empty folder. I decided to try and use 7zip itself instead, and while that let me see the files inside the .7z, they're all named "Doom Fluidsynth" and none of them have file extensions that tell me what they are.

That's very weird - I just re-downloaded it from Mediafire myself, just installed the latest 7Zip build just in case, and it works fine.

7Zip seems to be in the same weird kinda place as ZDoom, in that the 'core' build hasn't updated in years, while lesser versions are released regularly.

DiscoMouse posted:

I get the vibe he's pissed people didn't like those terrible zombie sounds. I like Brutal Doom but it's gotten pretty bloated and it's in danger of becoming an overdeveloped mess.

That's a pretty daft thing to say when almost all the changes from V16 to V17 were reining things back and polishing up what there was until the majority of the community seemed happy with it. On the ModDB page, there's even a collated bundle of all the optional feature enabler/disabler tweaks just in case there's some elements you're not happy with.

Not sure who's being pissy here, but it doesn't seem to be the guy making the mod.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 2, 2012

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah he's even caring about Danny Glover's taunt in a separate file (a thing already done ITT). You get the base Brutal Doom wich is great and anything that had some divided opinions is packed apart, hell you can even enable no reloads, no helmet effects (blood/bullet holes on your face). What he can think or feel about that is kinda irrelevant when he's giving everything to the community so everyone can be happy with their own brutal doom experience.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, the addon pack is a pretty cool addition. Now if only there was a way to make the Pistol replacement fire automatically...

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
0.17 is a definite return to form, don't get me wrong. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the note. Honestly, I'm a little sour on Sgt. Mark's judgement after the real gore debacle. To me, it's important to understand the distinction between stylised ultraviolence and actual real world violence, and he kind of showed his hand on that one. No one wants to think this thing they enjoy is being worked on by the author for the wrong reasons.

Has anyone else tried the MAP13 remake he made for use with Brutal Doom? I got it off his 4shared. It's pretty nicely made for a "realistic" map, good luck dealing with the three revenants and cyberdemon in the big plaza though.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I figured I'd share this here as I think it's a fun exercise for anyone who's interested in Doom mapping: Mapping By Music It's a simple enough idea: take a song and build a level around it. Sure, the challenge part is on another forum, but I still think it's a worthwhile concept.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
So, you like Doom? You like Blood? You like shooting Nazi's?

Well, guess what I found...

Yes, it's corny as hell, but it's a pretty massive WAD and actually plays rather well!

EDIT: Holy poo poo, just reached the level "Eredication". Fighting a literally never-ending army of enemies from Blood, Doom, and Wolfenstein while the best song from the whole TimeSplitters series plays in the background is loving insane! :black101:

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 5, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

So, you like Doom? You like Blood? You like shooting Nazi's?

Well, guess what I found...

Yes, it's corny as hell, but it's a pretty massive WAD and actually plays rather well!

Someone sure liked that hidden level from Doom 64. This is cool though, thanks.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
So yeah, in the new version of Brutal Doom your Beserker-punches are swung as fast as you can mash the fire key. Thanks to this the past few levels of Community Chest 3 have been converted into some kind of Fist of the North Star film, with skulls being caved in, torsos turned into clouds of goo, and so, so many zombiemen being kicked off of high platforms. I think SgtMarkIV is about two updates away from making Brutal Doom into a full-fledged beat-em-up, at this rate.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Is that intentional, or a bug?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well... as long as he ends putting proper sounds like on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHnjbU1qGSM
:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Playing through DOOM (Ultimate DOOM) for the first time... drat that cyberdemon boss on the shores of hell is going to take a lot of shots to kill. :argh: