Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I personally loved that run and jump was the same button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

elf help book posted:

It's the one in a trash can.

God that game was the most frustrating piece of poo poo. It is almost TMNT level bad.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

All of you guys are haters, it was the coolest game for cool kids :colbert:.

EDIT: I remember renting both it and Bart Vs. The World as a child and being so confused how a video game based off an awesome TV show could be so amazingly bad. Then I rented X-Men for the NES and I realized that the world is a terrible place.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Agrias120 posted:

That can't be true because I own it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

EDIT: I remember renting both it and Bart Vs. The World as a child and being so confused how a video game based off an awesome TV show could be so amazingly bad. Then I rented X-Men for the NES and I realized that the world is a terrible place.

At least the sunsoft Batman game for NES is pretty good :unsmith:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Agrias120 posted:

Did you happen to notice a similarity between the three games? Perhaps a game company logo with rainbow coloring?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Did you happen to notice a similarity between the three games? Perhaps a game company logo with rainbow coloring?

Go ahead and throw Back to the Future into that mix....ugh.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Apparently, 12 games is the magic number in that Gamestop deal to get free shipping. I kept my order on the small end though and ate some shipping, since I already grabbed some stuff from other places this weekend and I didn't have much store credit to spare.

Gungriffon Blaze
Gundam: Journey to Jaburo
R-Type Final
Without Warning

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffdaddy posted:

Go ahead and throw Back to the Future into that mix....ugh.

To drive you didn't hold A or B, or even hold forward on the D-pad. No...you had to rock the d-pad left and right repeatedly. To go.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

To drive you didn't hold A or B, or even hold forward on the D-pad. No...you had to rock the d-pad left and right repeatedly. To go.

That game was merciless to your digits.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

I played so much of that game. I was pretty good at tractor pull event.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
Is this Dreamcast vga cable legit? Can't seem to find any decently priced vga boxes right now.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Wholesale-DC-VGA-BOX-Cable-dreamcast-vga-box-cable/803976_495794790.html

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

My best friend came by for a visit today and brought some retro gaming goodies with him.

He purchased all this stuff when it was originally released and decided to give it to me since he isn't into retro or console gaming. The jaguar cd actually works as well. I assume it is only one of a few remaining one's that actually do still work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mdh1975 posted:

Is this Dreamcast vga cable legit? Can't seem to find any decently priced vga boxes right now.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Wholesale-DC-VGA-BOX-Cable-dreamcast-vga-box-cable/803976_495794790.html

If it is, I wouldn't recommend it. There's a really good and well-known one that looks like a silver box. It outputs S-Video, Composite AND VGA. It's a much better buy, simply because some Dreamcast games aren't VGA-compatible.

This is a UK ebay listing that has the model I described. It's well worth tracking down (The transparent version is exactly the same, but the toggle switch between S-Video\Composite and VGA is brittle as hell) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dreamcast...=item19d64f9c3e

edit: Actually, seeing as this comes up every now and then, Miyamotos RGB would you mind adding the following (or re-write it into something better) to the OP?

The Dreamcast is capable of VGA output for hi-def video, but not all games support it. For those few that do not, S-Video is usable. To make life easier on yourself if you want better-quality video from your console, get one of these

It does both VGA, Composite and S-Video, so you're set to go with whatever output you require.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 11, 2012

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I guess waggle-control shovelware isn't actually a recent Nintendo thing... :haw:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah I think that Gameboy was the last of the "clear electronics" phase though the Gameboy Color had a semi-transparent purple.

*Ahem*

Only released in japan, afaik. They also have this beauty:

On another note, does anyone here have any spare 1.5 amp picofuses? They're the fuses used to commonly repair SNES systems that don't power on. It seems like every place online has never heard of first class shipping and charges at least $7 for shipping. Which is ridiculous for such a small item, and would be more than what I paid for this snes. Nevermind. Digikey has cheap shipping and only charges 73 cents per fuse. This'll be a great time to try their cr2032 holders for easy battery replacement.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 11, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'd also love a list of good retro shows for the OP. Only good ones I know of are AVGN, Clan of the Grey Wolf, and Gamester81 (that guy has to be a billionaire with that collection) .

Yeah I don't know what Gamester81 does for a living but he makes some serious money. He's got nothing on John Hancock though, who has a CIB collection for something like 22 consoles. That guy is loving ridiculous.

I like Gameser81 and the rest of the All Gen Gamers crew. I also follow Happy Console Gamer and Happy Video Game Nerd. None of these guys are terribly prolific in video posting, Pete Door used to be but he's been very busy so his videos are rarer now. Also their tastes and video styles aren't for everybody, but I happen to have very similar taste in games as Pete Dorr and Metal Jesus Rocks so I like their collections/hidden gems/review videos.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
My pickups today:

That's a PS1 power cable, a PS1 spindle post, a PS2 network adapter, a 500gb IDE disk, Gauntlet 4 for Genesis, Donkey Kong Country 2, Mystic Quest, and Ys 3 for SNES. I know Mystic Quest is pretty bad/easy/boring but I love the music.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

iastudent posted:

Any chance for this to be your next project once you're finally caught up on Game Center CX? :v:

I've been wanting to translate it ever since I picked it up six years ago. I just don't want to scan 300 pages...

I'd also love a list of good retro shows for the OP. Only good ones I know of are AVGN, Clan of the Grey Wolf, and Gamester81 (that guy has to be a billionaire with that collection) .

I've recently been watching a lot of Jouer du Grenier. He's basically the AVGN but French. There are no English subs... but I recommend it to anyone who knows French.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 11, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

zari-gani posted:

I've been wanting to translate it ever since I picked it up six years ago. I just don't want to scan 300 pages...

The two Wizardry COYAs I picked up are 288 pages each, so 576 pages total. :smithicide:

iastudent fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 11, 2012

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Crimson Harvest posted:

My pickups today:

That's a PS1 power cable, a PS1 spindle post, a PS2 network adapter, a 500gb IDE disk, Gauntlet 4 for Genesis, Donkey Kong Country 2, Mystic Quest, and Ys 3 for SNES. I know Mystic Quest is pretty bad/easy/boring but I love the music.

I LOVED Mystic Quest when it first came out. I knew I was playing a dumbed down RPG but I ate it up. The sound effects sounded really meaty to me and I adored the art direction for it. It has a very special place in my heart. That said, I'm insanely jealous of your haul between that and Ys 3. They're two of the last few games remaining that I need to recoup what some rear end in a top hat stole from me back in Elementary School.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vaerai Archon posted:

About that PS2 sale for Gamestop.com. You get free shipping if you order a certain ammount of games.

I think it's ten games gives you the option of free shipping. I wound up with two orders, one with 16 $1 games and one with 12 $1.50 games. The only thing I didn't get that was on my list as option was Way of the Samurai 2 because I would have had to pair it up with a few more $2 games and you had to order at least $24 worth for the free shipping and there weren't that many priced at $4 that I wanted.

Here's my haul:

Nightmare of Druaga
Flipnic
Taito Legends 2
Cold Winter
Rise to Honor
Rygar
Guilty Gear X2
Activision Anthology
Raw Danger
Galerians: ASH
Nano Breaker
Life Line
Wrath Unleashed
Lupin the 3rd
Cy Girls
The Shield
Naruto Uzumaki Chronicles
Genji: Dawn of The Samurai
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Everblue II
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2
Shinobi
Simpson's Road Rage
Midway Arcade Treasures 3
Astro Boy
Maximo vs Army of Zin
Crimson Sea 2
Art of Fighting Anthology

Agrias120 posted:

Some of us bought X-Men for the NES for $50. :smithicide:

Anyway, retro arcade report. I went to the opening night of Arkadia Retroarcade in Fayetteville, Arkansas this evening and if you're in the area it's definitely worth going though there are some hiccups. They had about forty machines there and about half of them had some kind of technical problem. It was $5 to get in and play all night; apparently this is going to be the regular price. Personally I thought they should double that admission fee since you can definitely spend a few hours there but I suspect that as they work the kinks out they'll change things up.

They had a pretty good selection of your standard classics and a few more obscure titles. The most recent of the games seems to have been Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition. They had a few interesting rarities like Jungle King (complete with marquee); unfortunately the sound wasn't working on that one so you couldn't hear the Tarzan yell that got them into legal trouble. The Tempest machine was in surprisingly good shape. There was an untitled four player pong clone from the 70's that used cellophane coloring and no one was really sure how to get it to start. The oddest one for me was Astyanax which surprised me by having female enemies that you defeat by knocking their tops off; it's later has a stage that's a complete Alien rip off except the face huggers are literally vaginas that attack you. It doesn't take a lot to see where that game is coming from.

So the technical problems. When I was there three of their machines were completely down and unfortunately they were good ones: Mr. Do, Rastan, and Sinistar. Most of the machines were pretty beat up; presumably they were trying to get as many as they could without a lot of consideration for how they were holding up. In several cases a four-way joystick had been replaced with an eight-way (Dig Dug in particular was a problem with this). About half of the monitors had some kind of problem and the four player games were unfortunately the worst; Sunset Riders seemed to have a problem with the red channel on the RGB and Spider-Man had a major brightness problem. Also their mechanic mentioned to me that replacing the coin slots with credit buttons was resulting in people leaving extra credits in the machines and potentially causing some screen burn.

But I can't complain too much. Like I said, I expect that most of these technical issues to be cleared up in time as they maintain and repair the machines. And for $5 we played for four hours and had a blast.

Also, I set the high scores on Dig Dug, Centipede (which had been modified in a way that made the randomizer really strange), Donkey Kong Jr., Gorf (I had forgotten what a massive intellectual property rip off that was), Frogger, and a couple of others that I'm forgetting. Naturally whenever I got a chance my name was entered as "SEX".

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fatpat268 posted:

Only released in japan, afaik. They also have this beauty:
That's a sexy shade of orange.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I think it's ten games gives you the option of free shipping.

It's free shipping on orders over $25, but it counts for the total before the discount.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I just got through watching the Master System die on Chronsega, and had a random thought for some of the historians out there :

As far as official releases go, which games consoles have managed to gone out with a bang, rather than a whimper?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tyma posted:

I just got through watching the Master System die on Chronsega, and had a random thought for some of the historians out there :

As far as official releases go, which games consoles have managed to gone out with a bang, rather than a whimper?

I don't think any have, really. Most game releases taper out shortly before the next machine comes out. The closest you might get is maybe the Wii with Xenoblade and The Last Story.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Didn't the GBA sign off with FF6 Advance?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Even though it's not retro and the system isn't fully dead yet, I think the regular DS is going out with a pretty big bang between the new Pokémon games as well as that Adventure Time game (which is also getting a 3DS version) that everyone seems excited for (I've never seen the show, but I do like how it looks like a better version of Zelda 2).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tyma posted:

The SNES, PS2 and especially the GBC. The last year or two of the SNES were full of some of its best games (Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound and Secret of Evermore come to mind). Same goes with the PS2, which had poo poo like Persona 4 and Odin Sphere late in its life and a lot of really good budget games even after people stopped really making first party PS2 stuff (all those sweet SNK collections).

But pretty much up until the GBA's release, the GBC was pumping out high quality awesome games. A lot of really cool and under appreciated games come from that era (Metal Walker, Hype: Time Quest, Shantae, Magi Nation), although to be fair the GBC had an extremely short lifespan so its distribution of quality software is pretty constant across all its life.

And by the end there the GBC was starting to really come into its own, just look at a game like Jungle Book.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 11, 2012

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Random Stranger posted:

So the technical problems. When I was there three of their machines were completely down and unfortunately they were good ones: Mr. Do, Rastan, and Sinistar. Most of the machines were pretty beat up; presumably they were trying to get as many as they could without a lot of consideration for how they were holding up. In several cases a four-way joystick had been replaced with an eight-way (Dig Dug in particular was a problem with this). About half of the monitors had some kind of problem and the four player games were unfortunately the worst; Sunset Riders seemed to have a problem with the red channel on the RGB and Spider-Man had a major brightness problem. Also their mechanic mentioned to me that replacing the coin slots with credit buttons was resulting in people leaving extra credits in the machines and potentially causing some screen burn.
Man, that's a shame. I hope they get everything sorted out soon.

Running an arcade has been one of my dream jobs for a long time, and if it ever happens, I'd like to make sure that all the games are in as close to perfect working order as I can get them. I've already gutted and rebuilt my own Street Fighter II CE cabinet, including new wiring, PSU, joysticks/buttons, and a cap kit for the monitor, so at least I kind of know what I'm doing! :science:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tyma posted:

The PS2 went out with a bang(allthough they're still making sports games for it). It had stuff like Persona 4 and Sakura Taisen. Sakura Taisen's PS2 version was the only one that came with a Deluxe edition and made reference to the PS2 having the most RPG releases for a console.

I'd also say the Wii went out with a bang. You had stuff like Xenoblade and Last Story being released within the last year of it's cycle.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 11, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Plus a trickle of Neo Geo games!

Gah, that PS2 sale is so goddamn tempting. I have 12 games in my cart for 20 bucks and what keeps me from pulling the trigger is a combination of a tremendous backlog; a need to not really spend money which I already violated this week by jumping on that Kirby Mass Attack deal on Newegg; and the knowledge/fear that some games will show up scratched and I'm too lazy to deal with the fallout from that even though it could be done at a physical GameStop.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 11, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Discount Viscount posted:

Plus a trickle of Neo Geo games!

Gah, that PS2 sale is so goddamn tempting. I have 12 games in my cart for 20 bucks and what keeps me from pulling the trigger is a combination of a tremendous backlog; a need to not really spend money which I already violated this week by jumping on that Kirby Mass Attack deal on Newegg; and the knowledge/fear that some games will show up scratched and I'm too lazy to deal with the fallout from that even though it could be done at a physical GameStop.

The Neo geo releases were way more than a trickle. You had over a dozen KOF games, all of the Fatal Fury games except Mark of the Wolves, the entire set of Samurai Showdown, all of Metal Slug and the first collection of Metal Slug 4/5, all of World Heros, all of Art of Fighting. NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, and SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 which had 16 games on it.

Sadly it looks like there will never be an SNK Arcade Classics Volume 2. Not since Sega Smashpack Volume 1 have I ever been so dissapointed. I wanted an arcade perfect port of King of The Monsters 2. :negative:

Also pull the trigger on the PS2 sale. At those prices they're cheaper than rentals, they're cheaper than cheeseburgers. For the price of a single 60 dollar Xbox 360 game you can have well over 40 PS2 games.

However does anyone know the chance of the games coming in a case with the original cover? Because I went looking through Cover project and their PS2 section is surprisingly lacking.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 11, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I was actually referring to the Virtual Console getting a trickle of Neo Geo games since April or so, but yeah it happened on the PS2 as well! Garou: MOTW actually came out on PS2 in Japan.

The chances of the cheap games coming with cases I'd put at very slim. GameStop may have even tossed the cases for all of the cheap games. This is a price point where you aren't really choosey as long as the game works.

Everyone's getting Taito Legends 2 for Christmas.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Smallfox posted:

Man, that's a shame. I hope they get everything sorted out soon.

Like I said, I suspect that these guys got the machines in the conditions that have problems rather than they didn't know to use the correct type of joystick. There's enough work there to keep their staff mechanic busy for a while and just about every machine could use some kind of tweaking whether it was replacing the monitor or tightening up the joystick.

I talked quite a bit with the owner and staff and they seemed to know what they were doing and wanted to expand further. It's tough, though, and their selection of games is dependent on what's available to them.

Vaerai Archon posted:

However does anyone know the chance of the games coming in a case with the original cover? Because I went looking through Cover project and their PS2 section is surprisingly lacking.

Given that this is Game Stop and this is the picked over returns I'll be surprised if one in three of my games has the original case.

Consider it the great games for $1 tax (unless you really want the original cases in which I can't blame you at all for passing on this).

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Random Stranger posted:

Given that this is Game Stop and this is the picked over returns I'll be surprised if one in three of my games has the original case.

Consider it the great games for $1 tax (unless you really want the original cases in which I can't blame you at all for passing on this).

If you print up your own covers using the retail cover images(not scans) by going to Staples nobody will know the difference.

You can even buy the exact same type of paper that PS2 games use.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 11, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Crimson Harvest posted:

My pickups today:

Good job on the PS2 network adapter; those go for a pretty penny since you can use it to load PS2 ISOs from the PS2 hard drive.

Going to add all the new info to the OP tonight.

Edit: Never mind! When I bought the PS2 network adapter around 2 years ago it cost me a good $60; now it goes for $10! :psyduck:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 11, 2012

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Gamestop's checkout thing doesn't like my credit card. Keeps telling me the information is wrong or some poo poo. The stupid thing is I've bought stuff from them before with no problem.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Good job on the PS2 network adapter; those go for a pretty penny since you can use it to load PS2 ISOs from the PS2 hard drive.

Going to add all the new info to the OP tonight.

Edit: Never mind! When I bought the PS2 network adapter around 2 years ago it cost me a good $60; now it goes for $10! :psyduck:

Yeah, what the hell happened here? :psyduck: A used one ran me £50 on ebay UK in 2009 and now I'm seeing them boxed for £30-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I've been playing the Euro-only SNES version of Might and Magic 2, mainly because I felt the urge to replay that game and as an American had never realized it had a SNES version, and it has some uhh... interesting bugs/features. I wasn't exactly sure where else to post about this but I figure I might have a better shot of bumping into somebody here who cares than anywhere else.

- Items do not display their magical +'s anywhere other than when you loot them and on the identify item menu at merchants. This gets really confusing and annoying, though in fairness I think the Genesis version had the same issues.

- The Bribe command, using food, is completely and totally broken. It doesn't actually take any food from the player even when it works, and will set the amount you're bribing with to arbitrary amounts.

- The Disintegrate spell always works on everything. 100% success rate. This is pretty handy for stuff like farming Cuisinarts and killing the Mega Dragon. On the inverse, some spells like Jump and the Cleric Encasements just seem to not work at all.

- Another thing that's handy for farming Cuisinarts is how when monsters frenzy they still instantly die but don't actually attack or do any damage. It's just "monster frenzies!" and then it falls over dead.

- The Sorcerer spells that are supposed to hit the enemy reserves don't. I can't imagine doing those 250 enemy encounters without an emulator speed function. Holy Word works fine, though.

- Aging is totally borked. The Gemmaker actually makes everybody but the party leader 10 years younger when he teaches you Enchant Item, and the time traps in Castle Pinehurst don't age you. I'm about to finish the game with a party of 9 year-olds and their 30-something disapproving Barbarian mom.

- But it isn't called Holy Word anymore, it's called "Undead Chant". Similarly the Cat From Hell is the Abyss Cat or something, and the line about Dawn having more lives than a Cat From Hell now refers to a "Samurai Cat". Weird Nintendo-specific censorship owns.

In any case, I actually kinda love weird-rear end broken ports like this. It feels like I'm a time-skipping playtester or something. An old game I like is new again!

• Locked thread