Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The "pull out" bit really cracked me up, I must admit.

Lots of Plot in this episode. Well, hints at Plot. Now we know what CHerenkov meant when he said Shion would end up same as him.

Geignun is one suave motherfucker. Walking between Mary and Shelley like that makes him look like a pimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tzarnal posted:

So Juniors some sort of Realian too ? Although, the way he talks about Momo doesn't really imply that he is, it makes the most sense. But apparently he hasn't aged in forever and he has a serial number. Also, biblical references all over the place this time.

What Junior is will be explained later in this game, but he's not exactly a Realian.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tzarnal posted:

So Juniors some sort of Realian too ? Although, the way he talks about Momo doesn't really imply that he is, it makes the most sense. But apparently he hasn't aged in forever and he has a serial number. Also, biblical references all over the place this time.

I'm the people transformed (partially) into pillars of salt.

Also, 'Boanerges.'

quote:

Bo·a·ner·ges
[boh-uh-nur-jeez]
noun
a surname given by Jesus to James and John. Mark 3:17.

I'll admit, I'd never heard that one before.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
We'll get a better idea of what Jr. and Geignun are later in this episode, but it's episode 2 where we learn most of their backstory.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ScurvyKip posted:

Alright guys, after a bit of a long break and Unpronounceable moving and getting new internet, I bring you a new update!

Part 19: It's all up from here

(Click here for video)
No Commentary Over Cutscenes

Actually, we used to see something we called "liquid sunshine" when I lived in Hawaii. The humidity could be so high, it would "rain" with no clouds in the sky at all. So, I guess you could say "nature" instead of "science."

Also, the term albedo means the reflectivity of ANY stellar body, not just Earth. It also sadly means sad furry RPG.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 13, 2013

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

MOMO name fact, since I stumbled across it recently, momo is an uncommon way of saying 100 in Japanese. Makes it a little less arbitrary, though calling her '100' isn't much of an improvement.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
It feels like 30% of the game is just emails.
Let's Play E-Mail Explorer: The JRPG.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SugarAddict posted:

It feels like 30% of the game is just emails.
Let's Play E-Mail Explorer: The JRPG.

That'd be Let's Play .hack// :v:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That'd be Let's Play .hack// :v:

Better than Sexting and Alcoholism: Let's Play Catherine!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I liked Shion talking to KOS-MOS about empathy right in the middle of her trying to cheer up MOMO. It reminded me very much of a doctor training an intern.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Glazius posted:

I liked Shion talking to KOS-MOS about empathy right in the middle of her trying to cheer up MOMO. It reminded me very much of a doctor training an intern.

Too bad she's more of the "do as I say, not as I do" type of doctor. While I admit that was a wonderfully tender moment, she goes right back to being that black hole of self-interest we all know and love in short order.

Also greetings from the inevitable wave of posters from Lethemonster's Xenoblade Chronicles LP thread.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh man, Xenosaga. I have such a love/hate relationship with this series. Used to have way to much time on my hands, so I killed it by playing these games. Episode 1 promised "over 80" of gameplay in the bullet list on the back of the box. Totally not true, as mentioned in this thread--you beat the game in about 40 hours.

However, when Episode 2 game out, I discovered you could import your character levels over for larger experience and skill point bonuses. So I replayed Episode 1 to power-level my characters a bunch, and to ensure I squeeze my money's worth out of the game. It's a minority opinion, but I actually really liked Episode II. I'm with ScurvyKip in really disliking Shion, so seeing other characters receive more of the spotlight was a welcome change. (Also really dislike MOMO, but for that's more just because she's a weird-looking walking anime magic girl trope). I'm probably one of the only people who really enjoyed the second game's combat system and musical score. The break and knock down combat was challenging but really satisfying once you got the hang of it. You could do crazy amounts of damage. The electronic soundtrack was great and I got a little pumped whenever I saw KORG's logo pop up in the opening credits before the start screen.

After beating 3, I was so pumped to replay the series that I went back and reloaded up number 1. In total, I've played Xenosaga 1 through to completion twice for well over 100 hours of gameplay--dunno what was wrong with me.

I would actually rate the games chronological in terms of quality. 1 < 2 < 3.

So here's hoping you can all hack it out to 3!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

The break and knock down combat was challenging but really satisfying once you got the hang of it.

The problem with 2's combat was, once you figured out a specific encounter, you had to use the exact same sequence to fight it every time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
S'been years since I've played 2, so I could very well be looking back through rose-tinted glasses. I just remember it being immensely satisfying to figure out a boss's pattern, knock them down, and wail away at them while they lay helpless on their backs.

You're right, though, once the combination was discovered there wasn't much reason to do anything different.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

(Also really dislike MOMO, but for that's more just because she's a weird-looking walking anime magic girl trope).

That's the really sad part about her character. She has one of the best and fullest character arcs of the main cast, yet it's all undermined because she's a creepy loli bodypillow made flesh (or plastic, I guess). Same thing with Jr. too. They both could have been genuine adult characters and their arcs would have worked just as well.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Hunter Noventa posted:

The problem with 2's combat was, once you figured out a specific encounter, you had to use the exact same sequence to fight it every time.

Without giving spoilers I will say that certain fights were trivialized when you got the rhythm down, but finding that rhythm was so goddamn satisfying.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

mmj posted:

Without giving spoilers I will say that certain fights were trivialized when you got the rhythm down, but finding that rhythm was so goddamn satisfying.

So, its DDR in a nutshell?

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Hold onto your butts, stuff starts happening... next update. For now, enjoy a leisurely stroll through the foundation.

Part 20: A singularity of dorkiness

(Click here for video)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

UUUUUUUUUU-DOOOOOOOOOO

The Professor will probably be a lot of people's choice for Best Character.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

UUUUUUUUUU-DOOOOOOOOOO

The Professor will probably be a lot of people's choice for Best Character.

Because he's connected to the Best Sidequest.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

NikkolasKing posted:

Geignun is one suave motherfucker. Walking between Mary and Shelley like that makes him look like a pimp.

I just now realized the Frankenstein reference there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that's not how I remember the Riddler's backstory at all. Freakin' New 52.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
So, uh... what on earth happens if you gently caress up your answer to Snake Charmer Jr.? I'm assuming that the result is not 'humanity goes extinct, game over'. (Though admittedly that would be a pretty amazing incidental side-quest.)

P.S.:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ScurvyKip posted:

Hold onto your butts, stuff starts happening... next update. For now, enjoy a leisurely stroll through the foundation.

Part 20: A singularity of dorkiness

(Click here for video)

Because, I'm a loner, Shion, a rebel...

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Well guys and gals, strap in because the plot is about to actually do something.

Part 21: He's referring to the gameplay

(Click here for video)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Uuuuu-dooooooo.

Seriously, I grin every single time he says it. His delivery is just so silly.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Welp, that sure was a thing.

Gotta give some acknowledgement to the No Time For Foundation pun. God, that was bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yessss. I'm going to be offline for God knows how long since I'm moving out of state and I've been checking this thread again and again all day hoping for an update.

This is a good sign.

I feel sorry for Ironicus. I mean, I'm glad he was here because he's awesome and funny, but talk about one of the worst episodes to jump in at. Next ep will be action-packed by comparison.

Also because the actual main game never tells you and this isn't really a spoiler, the database tells you about the man in the sunglasses Margulis was having a chat with.

quote:

Sellers

The man with motorized sunglasses, with whom Margulis was discussing the Zohar and plans for future, at the command center on Pleroma.

His appearance and demeanor indicate that he is a scientist of some sort. The fact that he spoke to Margulis as an equal indicates that he is also a very high ranking individual, but he is otherwise a mystery...

Also I remember this because it's weird - Ziggy's line while they were all captures is elaborated upon in the database too:

quote:

...all part of the plan from the very beginning

Ziggy voices his suspicion that even if he had successfully rescued MOMO, arrangements were already in place to countermand his actions.

The details of this counterplan include broadcasting images from the Woglinde the moment MOMO was handed over to the Miltian state government or any of its affiliated organizations, and the seizure of MOMO by her erstwhile captors.

ndeed, the incident involving MOMO is closely linked to the events surrounding the Zohar Emulator.

Judging from the fact that Margulis' "Plan 31" and "Plan 401" are interlinked, Ziggy's speculations seem fairly accurate for the most part.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sometimes I wonder if this game wasn't partially written by Chris Carter, for its ability to keep you strung along for freakin' ever with its mysteries.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Who are all these people? Seriously, did the game actually explain who all the talking head factions involved are and how they relate to each other and I just erased it completely from my mind?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Who are all these people? Seriously, did the game actually explain who all the talking head factions involved are and how they relate to each other and I just erased it completely from my mind?

Here's what I gleaned (mostly from what was actually in this update and vague memories of earlier ones): there are 4 factions at play here - the Galaxy Federation which seems to be the ruling body of the Galaxy, the U-Tic organization who are the Bad Guys, the Second Miltia government, and the Kukai Foundation who are connected economically to Second Miltia. U-TIC is represented by the evil guy with the scar face and his blonde sidekick who judging by the OP are named Commander Margulis and Pellegri. Kukai are Gaignun and Jr. and Mary and Shelly, and Second Miltia so far are represented by the one dark skinned character in the whole game. No idea what his name is.

U-TIC are evil and want two things: to get their hands on MOMO (because she's special I guess I don't know why) and to get a hold of the Zohar Emulators (currently held by the Kukai Foundation) and the original Zohar which I guess is at second miltia. I don't know what the Zohar is or why it has emulators, but they all seem to have some connection to the Gnosis and I'm sure that will all be revealed later. U-TIC is Up To Something that involves all these things and whatever it is I'm sure it's bad.

So in order to accomplish these things, U-TIC doctored the footage of the Woglinde's destruction at the hands of the Gnosis and made it look like the Kukai Foundation was responsible. Since the Woglinde was a federation ship, that would be an act of war against the federation so U-TIC has now convinced the federation that Kukai and Second Miltia are trying to rebel or something.

Oh there's also Vector, the company Shion and Allen work for who developed KOS-MOS. In this update we met the CEO of Vector, the blonde guy who told the representative of Second Miltia that they should take KOS-MOS on loan to try and resolve the situation.

Edit: I guess to be complete I should mention one more talking head in this update - Juli Mizrahi (she was the only named talking head during the Federation Parliament scene). You can look in the OP to remind you who she is, but basically she's the wife of the apparently infamous Joachim Mizrahi who created MOMO, founded U-TIC and probably did some very bad things that I'm not totally clear on. I think he's dead. Anyway Juli Mizrahi is who MOMO calls her "mother" and is the one who sent Ziggy to rescue her and bring her to Miltia.

Honestly a lot of the stuff that's happened in this game so far has been pretty vague and confusing, but this update finally made some sense to me. I don't know the broader reasons and motivations behind what's going on, but political maneuvering and espionage? That I can follow.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 6, 2013

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Regy Rusty posted:

U-TIC are evil and want two things: to get their hands on MOMO (because she's special I guess I don't know why) and to get a hold of the Zohar Emulators (currently held by the Kukai Foundation) and the original Zohar which I guess is at second miltia. I don't know what the Zohar is or why it has emulators, but they all seem to have some connection to the Gnosis and I'm sure that will all be revealed later. U-TIC is Up To Something that involves all these things and whatever it is I'm sure it's bad.

To clarify on MOMO, it seems she's important because she's the prototype for the 100-series Realians, which I guess are all magical girls and are one of the only things that can fight Gnosis? However, because this is an animes, MOMO is the best of the 100-series Realians, and that's why the bad guys(U-TIC) want to get a hold of her. Probably also because they're all creepy.

Also, someone was wheezing into the mic last video and when you guys were all silent it was really distracting.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

The actual reason they want MOMO is not because she is a Realian or a prototype, but because Joachim Mizrah uploaded a bunch of his research into her. The so called Y-Data. I have not the foggiest what made them call it that, but that is what it is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As indicated in the conversation between Margulis and Sellers, as well as Margulis talking to MOMO in her cell forever ago, the thing they really want about MOMO is the information she has in her. Joachim MIzrahi the mad genius apparently left all his awesome SCIENCE in her and everyone is scrambling to get it.

e: NInja'd.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Also I think the original Zohar is on (First) Miltia which is apparently locked away or something and MOMO has the access code to unlock the gateway there. That was also mentioned this update. It's also why in the previous update they were talking about U-TIC having to take drastic action now that The Kukai Foundation had all 12 Emulators.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Tzarnal posted:

The actual reason they want MOMO is not because she is a Realian or a prototype, but because Joachim Mizrah uploaded a bunch of his research into her. The so called Y-Data. I have not the foggiest what made them call it that, but that is what it is.

Maybe she has Y-chromosome.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

What I'm getting is that Joachim Misrahi found some way of using the original Zohar as a gateway, where it would go has yet to be explained, but in doing so drew the Gnosis into the Xenosaga world. I think he also had some hand in creating the emulators, I'm guessing he wanted to use them as a way to teleport over long distances.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

YourAverageJoe posted:

What I'm getting is that Joachim Misrahi found some way of using the original Zohar as a gateway, where it would go has yet to be explained, but in doing so drew the Gnosis into the Xenosaga world. I think he also had some hand in creating the emulators, I'm guessing he wanted to use them as a way to teleport over long distances.

That technology's old by the setting's current time. UMN Gate columns are what ships uses to travel the vast distances they do.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Maybe Gnosis space is faster? :v: We've already seen that gate jumps take time, so it makes sense that someone would try to improve on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I never completed the trilogy but I'll be damned if I can remember what U-TIC's ultimate goal is. According to the encyclopedia in the game their name is an acronym for what was, originally, the equivalent of Space SETI, something involving exploring space and dealing with aliens.

• Locked thread