Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

I haven't had a chance to play Lost World yet but I'm told it fell into the same "candy-colored animals having deep grimdark serious problems" trap that made '06 such an unbearable piece of poo poo.
Whoever told you that is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Basically, its more like... Sonic 06 tries to be an epic adventure of time, space, revenge and love from the word go, and actually despite some really great concepts, fails at integrating them into a world that gets regularly saved by a giant blue hedgehog. I mean, Sonic and serious material doesn't necessarily not work, but it needs the right style to it. Remember, in Sonic Adventure 2, Eggman blew up half the moon. That simultaneously shows that he is f***ing serious, but also reminds you of the style of this universe, because he just went goddamn death star on the moon. It ain't exactly grim fantasy.

Hell, the opening cutscene to 06 actually gets some of this right. The grandeur, the lights in the sky turning out to be missiles, the sudden race of the wind... I was as excited as hell as a kid, expecting to go straight from there into a fast paced and fun level like City Escape.

Anyone who knows Sonic 06 knows that did not happen.

As for Lost World, its more it tries to build up the seriousness over time as the game goes on, things getting bleaker and bleaker... before Tails trolls the villains and sets the way for a happy and fairly comedic ending.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can say loving, dude.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

...I was as excited as hell as a kid...

I'm only 25, stop making me feel old.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

you must be loving kidding, using that word just makes your post a poo poo post

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sonic '06 is such a legendary trainwreck that I tried to slog through the famous VLP. I got to the end of sonic, and then noticed I was 1/3 of the way through and now they were basically replaying the levels as other characters. I couldn't take it anymore and just stopped watching. Is there some payoff to slog through the rest? Should I just skip to the end?

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011

Endorph posted:

Maybe he's one of those people that would choose "It's funnier with bleeps" in Brutal Legend.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chuu posted:

Sonic '06 is such a legendary trainwreck that I tried to slog through the famous VLP. I got to the end of sonic, and then noticed I was 1/3 of the way through and now they were basically replaying the levels as other characters. I couldn't take it anymore and just stopped watching. Is there some payoff to slog through the rest? Should I just skip to the end?

All three characters actually have fairly different levels because they play differently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chuu posted:

Once you beat the three story modes, you can go to 'true story', featuring some of the worst level designs in gaming history?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dr Pepper posted:

All three characters actually have fairly different levels because they play differently.

And yet they're all equally untested.

Okay, that's a lie. Silver is probably worse than the other two.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Chuu posted:

Mainly the payoff is listening to pokecapn and them go completely up the pole. Medibot was the only one that got any sleep during the whole thing so they just all completely loving lose their minds as they lose track of what weird bullshit is the game legitimately loving up and what's them hallucinating because it's been like two days since they got any sleep.

I mean it's a little hard to tell with medibot but the rest of them just sort of call in sick from reality after a while.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Chuu posted:

Sonic and Shadow play similarly enough that you could skip the latter, but Silver is unique enough that his levels at least feel a little different. And then there's the final story, which is a whole other trainwreck on its own.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Simsmagic posted:

Sonic and Shadow play similarly enough that you could skip the latter, but Silver is unique enough that his levels at least feel a little different. And then there's the final story, which is a whole other trainwreck on its own.

I'd say it's worth watching Shadow's story just for one particular scene near the end.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The whole Sonic 2006 LP is just one big buildup to Kung-Fu Jesus chanting "Rocketman".

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I waited in line 3 times to play the Sonic 2006 TGS demo with each character. I was in denial about how bad it was and blamed the controls on the PS3 joysticks in my head. Then I played the 360 kiosk and it controlled slightly better... but then Shadow fell through the floor every time I got to a certain part.

What was wrong with me

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Chuu posted:

At least watch the 5 stages of grief and pokecapn's utter despair near the end.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I waited in line 3 times to play the Sonic 2006 TGS demo with each character. I was in denial about how bad it was and blamed the controls on the PS3 joysticks in my head. Then I played the 360 kiosk and it controlled slightly better... but then Shadow fell through the floor every time I got to a certain part.

What was wrong with me

I was hyped from watching trailers, and pleaded with my dad for an Xbox 360 so I could play the game.

Yes, this was my first game of the seventh generation. It was my birthday present.

Admittedly I did see some redeeming factors in the game at the time. Shadow's story isn't too bad - not great either, take what you can get - and does manage a pretty epic ending, yes. Silver's stages were also interesting so long as you were in the parts actually built for him and not the sections shared with Shadow and Sonic too - because guess who doesn't have their superspeed.

The 'True Story' broke me however and I just couldn't finish. Seriously, gently caress those doom spheres with Silver.

Honestly, I'd almost be tempted to ask if Bioware could've done 06 as their sonic rpg. Yes, unfamiliarity with the verse would be against them, but most of the important elements were new anyway. But they could've worked something better out of all the time travel (hopefully, I realise its one of the sci-fi elements they've not actually tackled often), and its not as if rpg combat would make the game any slower. It would have spared us from mach sections...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Chuu posted:

Skip to "A long long time till touchdown" 1 and 5. The rest is ultimately optional.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
All of Sonic's Mach Speed sections are excelent, as is Shadow's radical train where the vehicle system just does not want to work, at all.

Silver's Pyramid level is great because they are so bad at billiards.

VVV Excelent to watch, not to play.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 3, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kurieg posted:

All of Sonic's Mach Speed sections are excelent,

Words typed for the first time

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Kurieg posted:

Silver's Pyramid level is great because they are so bad at billiards.

Medibot's reaction to finishing that section is without question the LP's peak.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was a total Sonic apologist during the GameCube era. "Sonic Heroes isn't that bad!" "Shadow the Hedgehog isn't terrible!"
Then I played the demo for Sonic '06. That demo was so loving bad it finally broke me. I have no expectations or apologies for Sonic anymore, I just don't care.

Generations was ok though.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure the first silver fight is also mandatory.

It's no use! TAKE THIS!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Aeromancia posted:

I'm pretty sure the first silver fight is also mandatory.

It's no use! TAKE THIS!

I know you *jetson's car noise* you're the Iblis trigger

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veotax posted:

I was a total Sonic apologist during the GameCube era. "Sonic Heroes isn't that bad!" "Shadow the Hedgehog isn't terrible!"
I actually agree with both of these, in the sense that I don't think they're the worst games ever made like some people do - they're just mediocre.

Besides, Sonic Heroes gave us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9E66ywToGU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Skip to "A long long time till touchdown" 1 and 5. The rest is ultimately optional.

Is that the part of the LP where they're playing as Silver and they have to use his TK power to lift the giant billiard balls in to the hole in a certain amount of time*?

*BTW, even if that's not the part being referenced, there is no point in any Sonic video game, where the above sentence is a thing that should happen. Ever.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011
Shadow the Hedgehog is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, due to the fact that I played the poo poo out of it when it first came out. I played it so much that I could probably perfectly quote every cutscene in the game. Funny story about when I first got the game: I got it for Christmas the year it came out and didn't know much about it other than that it was a Sonic game and thus I just HAD to play it. I popped it into my Gamecube and the first thing I did was me and my sister played the multiplayer mode. We played on the lava stage, she fell into the lava, and that was the first time we heard the infamous "drat, not here!" line. Shocked, we checked the ESRB rating on the back of the box. "Rated E10 for mild language and fantasy violence." We told our parents immediately after, but I forget what their reaction was.

Shadowesque
Nov 4, 2012

XaviortheSavior posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, due to the fact that I played the poo poo out of it when it first came out. I played it so much that I could probably perfectly quote every cutscene in the game.

Sadly, the same can be said for me. On the other hand, it may be that I masochistically decided long ago that someday, SOMEDAY, I would play through every single iteration of story. All 326. I have a list printed out, and I mark them off as I go along. Every once in a blue moon, I get an urge, an itch, and I play it hardcore for a few days to a week just to get more in before not touching it for ages.

Nobody's going to argue* against the more recent games being a vast improvement on the GC era, but I feel like many of the less-than-stellar Sonic games (like TDB, or Shadow, or Heroes) still could have been decent (or better!) games. They had interesting, engaging, sound-on-paper concepts. Experimental? Sure, but so have a lot of the latest good games. But something went horribly awry in the actual execution. It's really disappointing.

On the other hand, I'm the one who just said I still have a death wish in doing every Shadow storyline, and I'd more or less enjoyed TDB when it came out. If nothing else, I admired the writing at the time. So, grain of salt.

(*Lots of people are going to argue, and with the exception of Lost World, I say those people are Wrong On The Internet, so nyeh.)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

[Quote=Shadowesque" post="423968347"]
Nobody's going to argue* against the more recent games being a vast improvement on the GC era, but I feel like many of the less-than-stellar Sonic games (like TDB, or Shadow, or Heroes) still could have been decent (or better!) games. They had interesting, engaging, sound-on-paper concepts. Experimental? Sure, but so have a lot of the latest good games. But something went horribly awry in the actual execution. It's really disappointing.

(*Lots of people are going to argue, and with the exception of Lost World, I say those people are Wrong On The Internet, so nyeh.)
[/quote]

Pretty much this is both the boon and and curse of the Sonic franchise. For better or for worse, Sega and its affiliates are always experimenting, always trying to find new ways to play. Sometimes it works, sometimes it really doesn't. Probably the big things going against them is that they don't normally allow themselves to refine potentially really good formulas (they did some of this by having the dedicated hedgehog engine, and the entire premise of Sonic Generations demanded that they distill 'modern' gameplay), and compared to say, Mario's main titles, they don't alleviate themselves or others enough time for the scale of undertaking. Sonic 06 was rushed out the door for both the anniversary and the Christmas bandwagon. Sonic Unleashed's werehog levels run on so long because they were easier to construct than the daytime levels, which demanded so many resources that at the rate they were going, they wouldn't have enough content in the game by release. Dark Brotherhood, as established, also had to get rushed out when it was Bioware's first Sonic game and first DS game, meaning they had nowhere near the familiarity required with either series or system to turn out some stellar work.

...bah, not liking being so negative. What to say...

Ah! Whilst its not exactly the same due to the rpg format, I do like how they effectively kept some of the platforming element by having the interactive scenery and all. Technically not necessary, but it wouldn't feel right if Sonic didnt at least get to run and hop a bit.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

...bah, not liking being so negative.
At least you're being fair and constructive in your negativity, unlike SOME followers of this thread.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Astro Nut posted:

Pretty much this is both the boon and and curse of the Sonic franchise. For better or for worse, Sega and its affiliates are always experimenting, always trying to find new ways to play. Sometimes it works, sometimes it really doesn't.

This is something I've said about Double Fine, so I've been trying to decide why I'm willing to forgive them their failures when I'm very flagrantly not willing to give Sega and whoever they contract out to (since it's not always Sonic Team) a by on their heinous flops, but I think I've figured it out: deliberateness.

Like, Double Fine's experiments are always clearly experiments, it's evident they're trying something new, they're gonna see where it goes. And they're gonna make sure it's as polished as possible, with solid writing and art direction and as few bugs as possible, so that even if whatever they're experimenting with doesn't work out, the game still has something to recommend. A Double Fine experiment gives the impression that they wanted to make something really great and everyone got behind that goal and did the best drat job they could.

A Sega experiment...doesn't, always. Sometimes it seems more like the so-called experiment was more of a cynical cash-grab put together after a meeting with a focus group *significantcoughShadowtheHedgehog*. Or, even when it isn't, it doesn't have the same "everyone really believes in this and wants it to be the best it can be" feeling you get from Double Fine games. When a Sonic experiment doesn't work, it feels really half-assed a lot of the time, either because the people making it didn't want to be and stayed late at work under duress if at all, or because it was rushed the hell out the door before it was ready, or both.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I honestly rather liked Heroes. It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible either. It was a decently enjoyable game, though admittedly repetitive. I'm honestly curious as to why people hate it so much. It was rough around the edges and experimental as hell, but not quite to the extent that it deserves such vitriol.

Shadow, on the otherhand, got shafted in the game department. It had a lot of potential but failed in nearly every respect. Like 06, it could have been great. But it wasn't. It very definetly wasn't.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I get the impression that the biggest reason for the backlash was because most people wanted and expected Sonic Heroes to be a Sonic Adventure 3 when it wasn't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think it's because:

* The game basically expected you to play it four times with very little variation outside of the Team Chaotix stages, which tended to forsake speed for running around looking for objects.
* The enemies that required you to completely stop moving and beat the snot out of them due to their large health bars or armor.
* The story being rather lackluster and outright ridiculous at points. "Oh, hey, Shadow's alive? Let's fight for no reason!" "Oh, who are those guys (Team Chaotix)? I don't know who they are, but I'm just going to assume they're after Eggman's treasure and attack them anyway!"
* Unbelievably cheesy and almost painful dialogue. "Let's show this creep the REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAMWORK!™"

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think it's because:

* The game basically expected you to play it four times with very little variation outside of the Team Chaotix stages, which tended to forsake speed for running around looking for objects.
* The enemies that required you to completely stop moving and beat the snot out of them due to their large health bars or armor.
* The story being rather lackluster and outright ridiculous at points. "Oh, hey, Shadow's alive? Let's fight for no reason!" "Oh, who are those guys (Team Chaotix)? I don't know who they are, but I'm just going to assume they're after Eggman's treasure and attack them anyway!"
* Unbelievably cheesy and almost painful dialogue. "Let's show this creep the REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAMWORK!™"

You can never forget "Too bad it's all over... FOR YOU!!!!!!!!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

These two things were present in spades in the first two Sonic Adventure games too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Endorph posted:

These two things were present in spades in the first two Sonic Adventure games too.

Well, I suppose that is true. Tikal was largely ignored until the end of the game (and irrelevant in Amy, Big, and Gamma's stories since they don't deal with/don't care about Chaos). And a lot of SA2 had things just conveniently happening for the sake of plot, like Knuckles coming out a mine exactly where Sonic and Co. were.

Still, I feel it's a lot more noticeable when there's a paper thin plot that's not going anywhere. Adventure and Adventure 2 at least tried to make each character have a unique tale. Heroes just recycled the same thing for everyone.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I found Sonic Heroes enjoyable and since I took the different teams like being different difficulties I didn't had that much of a problem. The special stages were utter bullshit though, I never gathered all the emeralds.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 didn't have three characters on screen at one time during the stages who never, ever shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also Tails wasn't voiced by a small boy they found in a Walmart parking lot.

• Locked thread