Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I assume the guy who until a month ago was most famous for saying "We ain't here to play school" is gonna go pro if he thinks he'll get drafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Thoguh posted:

I assume the guy who until a month ago was most famous for saying "We ain't here to play school" is gonna go pro if he thinks he'll get drafted.
Watch Arizona throw a late-round pick on him, have Carson go down in the 16th week, and Cardale Jones win the Super Bowl for Arizona.

He ain't here to play regular season.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Butthead posted:

He is the absolute reincarnate of JaMarcus Russell in his physical qualities and abilities, but with even less experience. While it isn't fair to assume he is the same as Russell mentally, people will still be hesitant because of the similarities between the two physically.

I'd still go pro if I were Cardale. Why sit on the bench for a year at tOSU when you can get paid to sit on the bench at the pro level, and get better training in his craft because we all know Urban Meyer isn't exactly training QBs to have NFL success.

So, here's an honest scouting report of Cardale:

Physical:
+ Literal biggest arm in college football right now and it's not even close
+ Huge human being, meaning NFL teams won't be concerned about durability
-- Is the kind of guy who could easily eat himself out of the league

Mental/Technical:
+ Really solid pocket presence and blitz pickup especially for 3 starts
+ Surprisingly accurate, especially on deep and intermediate route
+ Generally good ball security (throws the ball away and generally uses two hands on the ball when holding it)
-- Needs better touch on short routes
-- Needs to make faster decisions on 3 step drops
-- Needs to get through progressions quicker (full progressions feel like an eternity with him compared to Barrett)
-- Invites contact on runs. Awesome when he can truck a college defender, but potentially terrifying if you're an NFL GM worried that Vontaze Burfict is trying to break your shiny new QB.

Other:
+ Really has turned it around since he had a kid to the point where he's impressed Urban who was literally hellbent on dismissing Cardale for like a year and a half.
+ Seems very focused on getting a degree and proving he made it farther than anyone thought.
+/-- Serious goofball which is probably going to upset the "QB IS ARE LEADER" types in the NFL
-- Pouted like crazy when Barrett won the backup job in fall camp. He may be emphasizing that he's "not ready" now, but that can change easily when fans start clamoring for you to start.

Calling him Jamarcus overlooks that Jamarcus never dealt with the "being a third stringer" stage of life. Jamarcus was starting as a redshirt freshman. Cardale was busy getting screamed at. This may be a *hot take* but Cardale has a chip on his shoulder over that and seems to be driving himself with that at least for the past month. Really, he strikes me as something between Jamarcus and a guy like Joe Flacco. He has Jamarcus level talent, but he's basically got to dominate the combine/pro day part of things since his career is considered incomplete (Flacco playing FCS talent/Cardale playing 3 games). As an OSU fan, I would love him to stay, but I really won't be shocked if he leaves at this point. Dude can make money for years off his celebrity in Ohio and just being even an NFL backup if that's what it comes down to.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheGreyGhost posted:

So, here's an honest scouting report of Cardale:

Physical:
+ Literal biggest arm in college football right now and it's not even close
+ Huge human being, meaning NFL teams won't be concerned about durability
-- Is the kind of guy who could easily eat himself out of the league

Mental/Technical:
+ Really solid pocket presence and blitz pickup especially for 3 starts
+ Surprisingly accurate, especially on deep and intermediate route
+ Generally good ball security (throws the ball away and generally uses two hands on the ball when holding it)
-- Needs better touch on short routes
-- Needs to make faster decisions on 3 step drops
-- Needs to get through progressions quicker (full progressions feel like an eternity with him compared to Barrett)
-- Invites contact on runs. Awesome when he can truck a college defender, but potentially terrifying if you're an NFL GM worried that Vontaze Burfict is trying to break your shiny new QB.

Other:
+ Really has turned it around since he had a kid to the point where he's impressed Urban who was literally hellbent on dismissing Cardale for like a year and a half.
+ Seems very focused on getting a degree and proving he made it farther than anyone thought.
+/-- Serious goofball which is probably going to upset the "QB IS ARE LEADER" types in the NFL
-- Pouted like crazy when Barrett won the backup job in fall camp. He may be emphasizing that he's "not ready" now, but that can change easily when fans start clamoring for you to start.

Calling him Jamarcus overlooks that Jamarcus never dealt with the "being a third stringer" stage of life. Jamarcus was starting as a redshirt freshman. Cardale was busy getting screamed at. This may be a *hot take* but Cardale has a chip on his shoulder over that and seems to be driving himself with that at least for the past month. Really, he strikes me as something between Jamarcus and a guy like Joe Flacco. He has Jamarcus level talent, but he's basically got to dominate the combine/pro day part of things since his career is considered incomplete (Flacco playing FCS talent/Cardale playing 3 games). As an OSU fan, I would love him to stay, but I really won't be shocked if he leaves at this point. Dude can make money for years off his celebrity in Ohio and just being even an NFL backup if that's what it comes down to.
You forgot one thing in the "Other" category:

Cardale Jones is a sweet-rear end name.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

TheGreyGhost posted:

Calling him Jamarcus overlooks that Jamarcus never dealt with the "being a third stringer" stage of life.

I was calling him Jamarcus only in his physical qualities and abilities. He is not Jamarcus mentally. I think with Cardale, we'll finally get to see what Jamarcus might turn into if he actually gave a poo poo.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
Cardale will be a steal if he comes out this year, because he'll go late enough to end up on a team where he can sit and learn, with a good coaching staff, and a solid base to support him while he develops. The worst thing for him would probably be to go back have another great year, and end up on a team where he is expected carry the team from the get go.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

HarlanHell posted:

Cardale will be a steal if he comes out this year, because he'll go late enough to end up on a team where he can sit and learn, with a good coaching staff, and a solid base to support him while he develops. The worst thing for him would probably be to go back have another great year, and end up on a team where he is expected carry the team from the get go.

Pretty much. I see no upside to him returning. Assuming the best possible outcome for returning and he leads OSU to a consecutive title in an undefeated season while putting up gaudy numbers, he gets drafted by a bottom of the barrel, desperate team and the pressure is on to immediately produce results. He could do well and get signed when his rookie deal is up; he could be average to mediocre and be in a state of flux, shifting between coaching staffs and front offices as their fates become tied to his high pick status; or he could flame out and have nothing but the (high end) rookie contract to show for it and be perpetually in disarray and worry like if he were mediocre but cranked up 1000x (ala Geno Smith).

Declaring now means he won't be drafted as high as in the best case scenario, but the cons of staying are that there is nothing close to guarantee he'd have that magic season – especially with the QB depth chart healthy, he might not do much at all. He could get injured. He could play horribly. Any of these things would either hurt (or totally tank) his draft stock. Being drafted lower means, like you said, many more teams have a shot to take him in and put him behind a good backup and there will be a much lower (or no) immediate expectations. He still gets a rookie salary but his odds of getting signed afterwards, either as a starter when he works up the depth chart and proves himself or as a decent backup, are much greater than a high-potential bust.

He should absolutely declare while he has the fortunate combo of being red hot and clearly talented, yet with no expectations for him to be an immediate starter or success. He has nothing to gain from going back and everything to lose.

Speaking of draft QBs though, this is why I feel Connor Halliday getting drafted late is in his best interests. He has a titanic arm and can make every throw and makes extremely fast reads, but he'll need a long adjustment period to the NFL and non-Air Raid systems. He would be incredibly well-served sitting behind other QBs in his mold that he has the potential to develop into. If he were to sit behind, say, Brees or Flacco (who I think are his closest comps if he can reach his potential), Ryan, Palmer, Eli (lol), or other pure pocket passers with a stable coaching staff he could develop extremely well. (yes I know, Atlanta isn't stable right now but he'd be great behind Ryan)

although I would also loving love to see what Chip could do with him :fap:

e: wrote downside not upside lol

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 15, 2015

Butthead
May 31, 2011
If Cardale stays in college, he isn't going to play except in second half blowouts. His stock will not go up at all after that year.

If he stays another year after that, he has to hope Barrett declares for the draft, or else it will be another year of sitting on the bench except for second half blowouts. If Barrett does declare, Cardale will have a chance to raise his stock up to a top 10 pick, but will also be 24 years old at the time, which may push him down to the #2 or #3 pick in the draft. That's assuming that Cardale plays really well.

e: if he does the latter plan, he may make more money on his first contract, but he misses out on two years of income and has to wait two additional years to get to that 2nd contract, which is where good NFL players make bank.

Butthead fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 15, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
He actually reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger as far as the way he plays QB. I know it's hard to compare a black QB to anything other than a black QB, but here I am.....

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Mahoning posted:

He actually reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger as far as the way he plays QB. I know it's hard to compare a black QB to anything other than a black QB, but here I am.....

Except Ben Roethlisberger doesn't scramble and take hits head on for first downs like Cardale and Jamarcus, so I'm pretty sure Ben isn't as good of a comparison.

e: "going out of my way to compare black QB to white QB so I don't seem racist."

Butthead fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 15, 2015

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Wait, we're comparing a guy with 3 starts to someone who was one of the best college QB's I've ever seen?

Wow y'all move quickly.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Cardell Jones is like Tim Tebow but with accuracy and is not a virgin.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Cardale Jones is the only cool thing about Ohio State.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

pretty much

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Mahoning posted:

This is a really weird comment

Anyway, Cardale reminds me of a less good Cam Newton at Auburn.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Raekwon McMillan, fool.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Butthead posted:

Except Ben Roethlisberger doesn't scramble and take hits head on for first downs like Cardale and Jamarcus, so I'm pretty sure Ben isn't as good of a comparison.

e: "going out of my way to compare black QB to white QB so I don't seem racist."

Well if we're going to nitpick one aspect of any QB's game then we can't compare any of them. He and Big Ben are both large but sneaky in how athletic they are. Good pocket presence and hard to bring down because of their size.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Elliot owns

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Butthead posted:

If he stays another year after that, he has to hope Barrett declares for the draft

I really don't think Barrett will ever declare early based on what I've seen. Kid is smart as hell, but his arm is going to get picked apart by scouts at the next level I imagine. Strikes me as like a Colt McCoy style prospect.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

Mahoning posted:

Well if we're going to nitpick one aspect of any QB's game then we can't compare any of them. He and Big Ben are both large but sneaky in how athletic they are. Good pocket presence and hard to bring down because of their size.

Totally agree. In fact my worst fear as a Browns fan is that the Steelers nab him, and spend another 10 years dominating the AFCN when Ben retires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Detroit_Dogg posted:

And he will be for another year, apparently.

• Locked thread