Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

She came to the space because she was interested in what we're doing. She just also happens to be homeless and living in a reality that only partially overlaps our own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

As a Millennial I posted:

I don't think the baggy pants guy's tsa story is worthy of mockery, he wasn't there sovereign citizening it up it looks like the real deal

obviously he pants are another story

yeah but those pants

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

indeed.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
theres a lotta great sarcasm in their comments, but then its sobering to realize theyre being hardcore passive agressive

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

infernal machines posted:

tbf this is roughly the same argument used to defend roll-your-own linux

roll-your-own linux is the best (linux) because all linux distros are literal rubbish and worse than windows in every way, due to having been assembled by retarded sperglord shithead idiots who are maybe one step above the nosebridge crowd on the intellectual scale.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

of course that's not saying much

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
> make install a good operating system
> Make: No rule to make target 'a good operating system'. Stop.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

> make install a good operating system
> Make: No rule to make target 'a good operating system'. Stop.

IF O$ THEN PO$:PRONT:BEEP:REM *** (C) 2014 JERRY COTTON ***

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jerry Cotton posted:

IF O$ THEN PO$:PRONT:BEEP:REM *** (C) 2014 JERRY COTTON ***
            /

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Many of us sat down with RAYC and tried to have a conversation about the situation. At nearly every attempt, we were met with the conversation quickly turning back into obsessive thoughts about access control and some sort of classist war between those with keys and those without keys though the same perceived cabal of elitist Noisebridgers is the same cabal of folks who doocratically canceled our last excursion into authoritarianism.

I spent one night at Noisebridge walking around in the mission with RAYC 'till about 2am because I felt that sort of effort would be worth investing into the relationships between RAYC, myself, and noisebridge. At the end he was yelling at me in the streets and refusing my attempts to establish some kernel of shared understanding.

RAYC is a cool friend but not everyone at Noisebridge thinks so, and it shouldn't be allowed for people who do belong at noisebridge to be pushed away by people who don't belong at noisebridge. Lots of folks spent all the energy and love the could muster to resolve this without having to collectively throw up our hands and exclaim that we're out of the spoons needed to deal with it.

quote:

Community takes work, i am willing to work with others on this issue from a constructive standpoint, i hope other people are too.

Okay, thats great. It'd be most Excellent to do that! Everyone else is out of energy and really just can't handle RAYC at the space, and this was the second time. If RAYC comes back, I'll just walk out of the space because I want to hack and not figure out social justice.

Something to note is that the world is not Noisebridge, nor is Noisebridge the world. I like to think many of us are capable of continuing friendship with RAYC outside of Noisebridge just as he is himself. This isn't totally the end of the world, nor was this a shadowy behind closed doors decision. Nobody wanted to really lawyer it out at a Tuesday meeting because dragging dirty laundry to a Tuesday meeting just makes everyone sad, though I do understand how unusual it is for an anarchist hacker collective to ignore the "rules".

Geek social fallacies at work.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

> > If RAYC comes back, I'll just walk out of the space because I want to hack and not figure out social justice.
> That's totally fine but be aware and grateful that you have the luxury
> of surviving in the status quo and thus do not have the burning need
> for social justice to happen.

Believe me, I do want social justice to happen. That sort of thing is what
drives me to work on Ripple since it is a stepping stone on the way to
financial freedom for everyone.

I just don't do it with Noisebridge because its not an appropriate outlet for
that. I think there is a big difference between doing social justice work /at/
noisebridge versus /with/ noisebridge.

Who had "check your privilege" and "bitcoin for social justice" on the Noisebridge Bingo card?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
who is rayc

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The latest resident drug addict/crazy. He was kicked out for sleeping on top of the elevator.

Not to be confused with the resident crazy who got kicked out for sleeping in the closet behind the elevator, getting stuck in there and having to break out through the drywall under the stairs.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
does 'on top of the elevator' mean literally inside the shaft or like, a compartment somewhere else or something

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol that theres even an issue with kicking out random addicts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pram posted:

who is rayc

Its you

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Well excuse me missy, you just put that soldering iron down right now and march out the door. That tool is for heating crack, besides you'll just encourage someone to steal your project, working on it all out in the open like that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pram posted:

lol that theres even an issue with kicking out random addicts

occupy had the same problem, as have like 99% of the 'anarchist' spaces I have ever seen

you'd think that "don't loving do meth here" would be one of those universal "things people can agree on" but welp

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what the gently caress is doocratic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Maximum Leader posted:

do-o-cratic i guess

cause do make thing whatever

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Do-ocracy: If you want something done, do it, but remember to be excellent to each other when doing so.
An important part of being excellent is documenting your change. Write a note on Noisebridge's ChangeLog.

The Being Excellent To Each Other Version
Dick paints the bike shed pink.
Jane becomes unhappy about the fact that the bike shed she helped build is now pink.
Jane politely engages Dick in discussion about why he thought this was ok. Dick realized that other people he shares the space with have feelings too.
Jane and Dick decide to repaint the bike shed blue.

Related: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bike_shed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Maximum Leader posted:

it's all about being passive-aggressive instead of actually confronting and dealing with problems.

the idea behind the "do-ocracy" is that instead of asking anyone for permission to, for example, put up a security camera spying on the bathroom stalls, you just do-ocratically do it, and if anyone doesn't like it, then instead of talking to you about it they just do-ocratically remove it themselves.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

doocracy is like half of a doo-doocracy meaning that 50% of the soldering irons should be left unpooped on

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
doocracy is like democracy except nobody has control over anybody else and everyone pines for some semblence of sanity

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

in a doocracy you can doo cracy things.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
rayc war

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:nsavince:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oh for fucks sake

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

in a doocracy you can doo cracy things.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

doocratic is just "easier to ask forgiveness than permission" but I bet you would seriously offend them if you mentioned this

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

crack-flavoured mt dew

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
mountain dew baja blacktar

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

it's "if you want something done do it yourself", except also don't tell anyone you're going to do it or that you did it, and definitely don't make sure that it was something anyone besides you ever wanted in the first place

an example of do-ocracy is when someone who doesn't like X but can't get people to agree on removing it just waits till 2am when the only people there are the sleeping homeless people and then methodically tears down and destroys X on their own

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Dick paints the bike shed pink.
Jane becomes unhappy about the fact that the bike shed she helped build is now pink.
Jane politely engages Dick in discussion about why he thought this was ok.
Dick doesn't give a gently caress that other people he shares the space with have feelings too.
John comes in and tears the bike shed down, and Dick and Jane post terse words to the mailing list and are banned.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Mark comes back for 3rd time on his bike and finds A) no bike shed B) his project has been altered with expensive parts missing, comments on mailing list, told "if you want a bike shed, why don't you build one, and you should put up a sign saying "do not take parts" if they aren't for everyone"

am i close?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

2 days later the sign is upside down on top on the stove with strange residue covering it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
someone poo poo all over the bikes

• Locked thread