Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well, I finished watched Death Parade, as per KildarX's request. It was...alright. Full on spoilers ahead, so If you want to watch the show, I suggest you skip over them.

To start with, I watched the short Death Billiards, which was a nice piece of work, and thought provoking, making you wonder who went to heaven and who went to hell, and if they were deserving of their judgment.

Then I got to the first episode, Death Seven Darts. And it felt like a shallow rehash of the short, without any of the subtlety, explaining that it was reincarnation, and who went to heaven and to hell. Also, the opening was jarring as Hell. It grew on me by the last episode, but I still feel it didn't really fit in with the mood of the show, aside from the final message of living for today.

After that, the second episode, Death Reverse, was basically a rehash of the rehash. They are trying to set up Chiyuki, so it covers the first episode from her perspective, but it was really boring. However, the second half of the episode does a good job of redeeming it, by presenting a more human-perspective on the issue of who was guilty, or not.

Rolling Ballade was refreshing because it wasn't a cruel story, just so much as two kids who died at the same time through no fault of their own. It was nice seeing them come to terms with death, and their date was sweet. However, the ending showed that both souls can be reincarnated, which raises the important question of why some people are reincarnated and others aren't. It becomes more of a theme in later episodes, where they mention that judgments are arbitrary, but it still doesn't make much sense to me from the perspective of the next episode...

Death Arcade was my second least favorite episode. While the characters have personality, the game that they are involved in is very stupid and boring, and "Oh no, my Joystick top!" does not equal drama. The character's stories are both sad, but the ending imples that Suicide boy gets reincarnated, and woman who was pushed by the world, so she pushed back was not. To me, that seemed very messed up, though it might be because the boy was regretful that he couldn't let his mom know he loved her, and the woman seemed to be in a state of denial where she was "turning her life around"?

And next is Death March the most pointless episode. Introduces Ginti and more of the cast, but the whole set-up is contrived and does nothing but waste the viewer's time. It also sets up "intrigue" on the whole Decim with human emotions and too many people dying, meaning that there must be a better way to judge, which...never gets resolved.

Cross Heart Attack was a good episode, though it only served to present Ginti as a foil to Decim, and I still feel like most of the cast was superfluous. I did laugh at how they were trying to get around the copywritted name of Twister, though. The ending was what made the episode, though it was odd that Ginti decided to keep Mayu around until the penultimate episode, which doesn't really make sense with his personality. I was wondering why she stuck around, but Harada didn't...

Alcohol Poison shakes up the formula, and goes more into the "intrigue", which never really gets enough development. I will say, I probably enjoyed the story of Chavvot more than the series as a whole, so that's saying something (I like dumb heartwarming baby stories).

Death Rally and Death Counter were both good episodes, with solid characters and character development for Chiyuki and it was nice to see Decim start to feel emotions. The idea that dragging out darkness is what makes these people malicious, and that anybody can be made to do such a thing is an important idea, since it was the basis of many of their judgments, and suggests that it is wrong on the basis that people change based on their environment, and that they, as a whole, should not be judged that way, since life is unfair in what it hands out to you.

Story Teller is a change of pace, so the viewer can calm down from the last two episodes, and we get more backstory, mainly Chiyuki's name.

Memento Mori Has an A plot that is mostly focused on Chiyuki's backstory, with the B plot focused on the girl from Cross Heart Attack (Mayu) deciding is she should exchange somebody else's soul in order to save Harada from the void. She decides not to, and her choice will parallel Chuyuki's choice in the final episode, but aside from this moment, these two characters felt pointless, and so did Ginti being a foil, since, as we will find out, nothing changes in the last episode.

Suicide Tour had a perfect take-off and flight, but I feel that it botched the landing. I really enjoyed Chiyuki's trial, and these scenes were real poignant, getting across the idea that we should live for today and cherish life, and to learn to understand others, even though it is painful, so we can learn and live for each other. After Chiyuki leaves, the only development we see from decim is him smiling, shich is all-right, but there is no resolution to Nona's plot or any of the issues of judgments changing.

Basically, the show worked as a character study, but failed in the plot department, at least for me. Why did it matter if people were reincarnated/sent to the void? Why couldn't they all be reincarnated? Outside of religious views of judgment, it doesn't make sense why any of the arbiters would care if a person is reincarnated again or not, does it?

wielder posted:

Watch Orguss 2.

It doesn't have much of connection to the first Orguss (and the actual link was entirely unnecessary, in my opinion).

My list:

Brigadoon
Gungrave
Shigofumi
Skull Man
Zegapain

Have never seen any of these shows, but I'll say watch Zegapain since it sounds like Mega Pain, and that name makes me curious.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for me:

B Gata H Kei (Read the first few chapters, watched the first episode like 4 years ago)
Kaiba
Heat Gut J(yes, the one nobody watched/bought. That has me more curious than anything)
Super Sonico: The Animation
Basquach!

EDIT: Wow, you guys got active all of a sudden. So, for Motto, I recommend The Tatami Galaxy, because it's really good.

Julias fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kaiba because my roommate used to be super into it and told me it was really neat, and I know nothing else on your list.

LOGH
Kill la Kill
Nanoha
Cowboy Bebop
GitS:SAC

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

wielder posted:

Watch Orguss 2.

It doesn't have much of connection to the first Orguss (and the actual link was entirely unnecessary, in my opinion).

My list:

Brigadoon
Gungrave
Shigofumi
Skull Man
Zegapain

Please watch Zegapain.

Please watch Zegapain. Trust me on this. As a mecha series it's kinda eh and the action is just passable but as a sci-fi series it's one of the best I've ever seen. Brigadoon is pretty good too.

Reds fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Julias posted:

Death Arcade was my second least favorite episode. While the characters have personality, the game that they are involved in is very stupid and boring, and "Oh no, my Joystick top!" does not equal drama. The character's stories are both sad, but the ending imples that Suicide boy gets reincarnated, and woman who was pushed by the world, so she pushed back was not. To me, that seemed very messed up, though it might be because the boy was regretful that he couldn't let his mom know he loved her, and the woman seemed to be in a state of denial where she was "turning her life around"?

You kinda missed the point with this one.

The mother was in willful denial about how much of her life wasn't her own fault, and the whole point is that all it took was something as simple as the top of her joystick popping off to completely lose her poo poo. Even her eldest children were clearly sick of her bullshit and were stuck taking care of their younger siblings while she focused entirely on her reality TV career. When it finally came down to her kids helping her in the game, the moment they did bugger-all damage she even turned on them. Her life was focused on being center-stage, at the expense of everything and everyone else, and when push came to shove she still blamed anyone else she could rather than admit her own faults. Hence, sent to the Void.

edit:

Julias posted:

Basically, the show worked as a character study, but failed in the plot department, at least for me. Why did it matter if people were reincarnated/sent to the void? Why couldn't they all be reincarnated? Outside of religious views of judgment, it doesn't make sense why any of the arbiters would care if a person is reincarnated again or not, does it?

The short of it is that there was nothing redeemable about those people. If they got sent back, they'd just sink into the same bad habits again and again.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 15, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

LOGH
Kill la Kill
Nanoha
Cowboy Bebop
GitS:SAC

:wtc:, how have you seen neither Cowboy Bebop nor SAC? Watch SAC right now!

New list:
1) Cyber City Oedo 808
2) Barakamon
3) The Rolling Girls
4) Macross Plus
5) Symphogear

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've watched a lot of really weird obscure poo poo but somehow avoided a lot of the classics, because I am dumb.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Julias posted:

Well, I finished watched Death Parade, as per KildarX's request. It was...alright.

I feel that Death Parades ending is one of those kinda things where the studio are like "You know... a second season would be great, lets set one up, we're just not sure if we can get the funding for it yet."

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Julias posted:

Death Arcade

was a very divisive episode and there were arguments back and forth back in the thread about whether the judgement was correct, how much was the fault of the mom, etc. Its main purpose within the story is basically throw into ambiguity the fairness of the judgements though. Of course, the 2nd episode did that too, but Death Arcade has no clear right answer.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 15, 2015

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

New list:
1) Cyber City Oedo 808
2) Barakamon
3) The Rolling Girls
4) Macross Plus
5) Symphogear

Says the goon with the anime pilot avatar that has not seen Macross Plus

1. Zegapain
  2. Symphogear
  3. AKB0048
  4. LOGH
  5. Working!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My avatar is from Patlabor, though. :colbert:

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

New list:
1) Cyber City Oedo 808
2) Barakamon
3) The Rolling Girls
4) Macross Plus
5) Symphogear

Macross Plus is good but I'm going to have to go with Rolling Girls.

Rotoru posted:

Says the goon with the anime pilot avatar that has not seen Macross Plus

1. Zegapain
  2. Symphogear
  3. AKB0048
  4. LOGH
  5. Working!

I'll give you a hint, it starts with Zega and ends with Pain.

Ok, since I forgot I had to put a list in:
  1. Crest of the Stars
  2. Allison to Lilia
  3. Ga-Rei: Zero
  4. Mononoke
  5. Zetsuen no Tempest
There are more high-profile shows in my backlog but they're all pretty equal in should-be-watched status so here's this instead.

Reds fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 15, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Reds if you want to tell Rotoru to watch Zegapain you have to post a list of your own for someone else to pick from.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

Reds if you want to tell Rotoru to watch Zegapain you have to post a list of your own for someone else to pick from.

Sorry, I forgot. I'll go edit that into my post, give me a minute.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8 minutes into The Tatami Galaxy: drat, this show is pretty.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I was able to keep up with the subs, but I can definitely see where all the comments about the pace of the dialogue come from. It's being put to good use though, and I feel that constantly pausing to try to catch every single word would be both unnecessary and a huge disservice to what's being done with the visuals, which are often just as rapid-fire as the dialogue. There's neat stuff going on in every scene, whether it be the interaction between the characters or the illustration of the narrator's monologue. I wouldn't be able to put it into words just yet, but it did a lot of good work giving you a feel for the narrator's character.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 15, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barakamon ep 3 - I've now gotten to the girl who denies being a closet fujinshi :allears: I hope the show doesn't get too involved in juggling all these other characters because I feel like the core of the show is the protagonist and Naru, and everyone else just gets in the way at the moment.

as for other shows..

Death Parade (all) - A-grade show, not A+, but A-grade. I also felt that they wrote it expecting a second season, which is probably a bad idea in anime just in general, since getting a second season of a show usually requires that you be moe as gently caress. although I guess silver spoon got a second season...

Snow White with the Red Hair (#2-6) - This is my ideal shojo, it's cute, it's fluffy, the main character lives for herself and her own goals, and doesn't let anyone give her an easy way out of anything. Shirayuki is a cool cat. And Zen is a good, if dull, counterpart, providing companionship but not a boost.

Yona of the Dawn (all) - Unlike snow white this heroine grew up spoiled and has to basically start over from scratch emotionally and physically, so there's a lot more fragility and helplessness and damselness going on, but she does get tougher and tougher over the course of the series until she fuckin pierces a dude in the chest from a crow's nest with her bow & arrow and it's dope. The biggest problem with Yona is that it was paced like a 50 episode show but ended at 24, basically serving as promotion for the manga to continue the story. Booooo.

Bodacious Space Pirates (#1-2) - Not a whole lot of space pirating going on to start with, could they have possibly started this show any slower?? On the fence with this one.

GunXSword (#1) - This feels pretty nostalgic to watch. I mean I've never seen it before but it's a 2000s-era anime from the time of everything needing to be a space western, and the feel of this kind of show has definitely disappeared in recent years (I wouldn't say Space Dandy captures it either). For some reason Anime News Network claimed the main character was a Vash ripoff.. uhhh no?? He's more like someone who is tired of any and all bullshit and doesnt give a gently caress about other people's problems and is bedraggled and fatigued just in general. of course that's just the first episode, maybe he suddenly becomes Wacky Laughing Man later.

One Punch Man (#1) - I fuckin love the rough, kinetic drawings in the fights, so much energy!! I knew the one part was gonna be a dream sequence but it was just executed so perfectly regardless. I have not read the manga so I'm really interested to see how they stretch this idea out over the course of a series.

Himouto! Umaru-chan (#1) - It's okay, the concept is not the most original but it's not bad. The "chips, chips, soda, chips" bit felt like a 4 panel comic stretched out wayyyyy too long. This series will probably live or die based on the strength of each skit, and this first episode was hit and miss.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Motto posted:

I was able to keep up with the subs, but I can definitely see where all the comments about the pace of the dialogue come from. It's being put to good use though, and I feel that constantly pausing to try to catch every single word would be both unnecessary and a huge disservice to what's being done with the visuals, which are often just as rapid-fire as the dialogue. There's neat stuff going on in every scene, whether it be the interaction between the characters or the illustration of the narrator's monologue. I wouldn't be able to put it into words just yet, but it did a lot of good work giving you a feel for the narrator's character.

Episode 1 has the fastest dialogue, the other episodes range from a bit slower to significantly slower.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
This is supposed to be sexy lingerie

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How absurdly large was Macross Plus' animation budget? Because :staredog:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

This is supposed to be sexy lingerie

I dunno, depending on the show that could be everyday streetwear.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barakamon ep 4 - Alright this is more like it. The past two episodes had some good gags but this episode felt more like what I was expecting to get from the show after the first ep. Naru just slapping her handprint on the boat is perfect comedic timing. I suspect this story is trending towards the protagonist giving up calligraphy and learning to chill out, but even if the show is not so subtle about that progression, it doesn't really matter. It's just good times on a chill island. I really enjoyed the rotary phone sequence, just everything about it.

the rest:

Himouto! Umaru-chan (#2-3) - I'm stopping here for now, it's way too uneven, a lot of the jokes don't land. I do want to like it though.

Un-go (#1) - One and done possibly. I got in the mood for some detective/mystery stuff but since case closed only goes up to #20 on hulu (COME ON FUNI) I checked out some others. Un-go is just not very creative, and the opening mystery is really really plain. The wacky magical poo poo is a stupid deus ex machina gimmick, get outta here with that.

Neuro (#1) - Like Un-go, it's another mystery anime that doesn't follow the rules, keeping information from the viewer and revealing it all in a dump at the end. I'm not a fan of that. I am going to watch more though, because the visual gags are very strange, the climax of the episode was very strange, the dynamic of the fake detective and her demonic boss is interesting. But come on writers, the viewer should be able to solve the mystery with the information presented! This first episode literally hid information until the final denouement, like the method of death, the trick to establishing the alibi, the secret of the food, instead we just get a lot of the demon guy just going "aha! I see!!!" throughout the episode and that's laaaaame!!!

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Reds posted:

I'll give you a hint, it starts with Zega and ends with Pain.

I hope the answer is Zegapain because otherwise I've spent a lot of mental energy wondering what is going on and also need to watch five episodes of a different anime.

Sooo, ah, Zegapain. This would be the last thing I'd say was a Sunrise mecha anime if it weren't an anime by Sunrise featuring mecha. A literal Sunrise mecha anime, if you will. The mecha are less central than usual though and more of a cool background thing, as in the original Macross.

So far it seems like it is about questioning reality and our perception of it, which makes judging it after a mere five episodes that barely start suggesting differences between the two difficult. I'll probably keep watching but whether it's worth it is still completely up in the air.

Reds posted:

Ok, since I forgot I had to put a list in:
  1. Crest of the Stars
  2. Allison to Lilia
  3. Ga-Rei: Zero
  4. Mononoke
  5. Zetsuen no Tempest
There are more high-profile shows in my backlog but they're all pretty equal in should-be-watched status so here's this instead.

That's a pretty hard list to choose from but Crest of The Stars is good* sci-fi so you should watch it.

1. Patlabor movies/OVA
  2. Bubblegum Crisis
  3. The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
  4. LOGH
  5. Serial Experiments Lain

*May not be good.

Rotoru fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 16, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Crest of the Stars is good. Supposedly getting an English bluray release soonishly too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
So I'm guessing Orguss 2 takes place hundreds of years after Orguss 1, and that girl who fell in love with someone from another world shown in the flashback hologram was the mian character of Orguss 1?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I finished Orguss 02. It was really good. I liked most of the characters, and Manning especially was super fun. The romance story was pretty cliched, but it was enjoyable, and I really liked how they had to rely on each other at the end. The robots were neat, and the entire final fight sequence was good.

If I had any problem, it would be the multiple dimensions thing. That just felt like exposition for exposition's sake, it really wasn't necessary. And while the robots disappearing from around the pilots was cool, it felt a little cheap. The war ended because all the guns vanished, lame.

but still, overall a good anime.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rotoru posted:

I hope the answer is Zegapain because otherwise I've spent a lot of mental energy wondering what is going on and also need to watch five episodes of a different anime.

Sooo, ah, Zegapain. This would be the last thing I'd say was a Sunrise mecha anime if it weren't an anime by Sunrise featuring mecha. A literal Sunrise mecha anime, if you will. The mecha are less central than usual though and more of a cool background thing, as in the original Macross.

So far it seems like it is about questioning reality and our perception of it, which makes judging it after a mere five episodes that barely start suggesting differences between the two difficult. I'll probably keep watching but whether it's worth it is still completely up in the air.

That's a pretty hard list to choose from but Crest of The Stars is good* sci-fi so you should watch it.

1. Patlabor movies/OVA
  2. Bubblegum Crisis
  3. The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
  4. LOGH
  5. Serial Experiments Lain

*May not be good.

I tell you to watch BubbleGum Crisis

Bakemonogatari
Code Geass Akito the Exiled
Getsumen to Heiki Mina
Koufuku Graffiti
Macross Zero
Magical Girl Madoka Magic The Movie 3: Rebellion
The Five Star Stories

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

watch madoka rebellion

i need something new to watch

yozakura quartet
sayonara zetsubo sensei
shin sekai yori
princess jellyfish
welcome to irabu's office

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Radio Spiricom posted:

watch madoka rebellion

i need something new to watch

yozakura quartet
sayonara zetsubo sensei
shin sekai yori
princess jellyfish
welcome to irabu's office

sayonara zetsubo sensei

Serial Experiments Lain
Hyouka
Durarara
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Bakemonogatari

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've finished Macross Plus. Pros: it's ludicrously pretty and very engaging. Cons: basically none? Even the Macross music element was handled intelligently.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cons: the best song in the movie version having terrible 1994 CGI. It still kinda works I guess though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I watched the OVA though, so no problem there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You should watch the movie as well because it has the best song in Plus and adds a few cool things the last half hour or so.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Quest For Glory II posted:

Neuro (#1) - Like Un-go, it's another mystery anime that doesn't follow the rules, keeping information from the viewer and revealing it all in a dump at the end. I'm not a fan of that. I am going to watch more though, because the visual gags are very strange, the climax of the episode was very strange, the dynamic of the fake detective and her demonic boss is interesting. But come on writers, the viewer should be able to solve the mystery with the information presented! This first episode literally hid information until the final denouement, like the method of death, the trick to establishing the alibi, the secret of the food, instead we just get a lot of the demon guy just going "aha! I see!!!" throughout the episode and that's laaaaame!!!

Okay, I don't normally chime in on these sorts of things, but I'll give you some advice.

Neuro is not a good detective mystery. In fact, it is a terrible detective mystery, since it withholds information till the end almost every single case. However, if you read the Manga (About 200 Chapters, warning you right now), you'll realize Neuro at its heart isn't a detective mystery, but rather a action show with really good character development and solid drama, tucked in the back 2/3rds of the series

Don't watch the Anime. Read the manga. It does an Anime only ending which sucks, and the main reason for reading it (the Character development and the action of the latter arcs) doesn't really occur in the Anime. The ending theme (Kodoku no Hikari by Kagami Seira) is really good, though.

A bit of warning, though: The art to start with is literally "How to draw Manga" terrible, and character development and plot development is really slow to start with (The First 50-60 chapters or so are necessary, but are mostly just solving cases, introducing characters, etc., and really drags on). However, unlike most manga, which get worse as they go on and get terrible endings, Neuro gets better up until the ending, which is one of the most complete and satisfying endings I've seen in a manga.

tl;dr: Don't watch Neuro, read Neuro, and take it easy at first, because wile it starts somewhat mediocre, it ramps up later on, and has a satisfying resolution.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

You should watch the movie as well because it has the best song in Plus and adds a few cool things the last half hour or so.

I...i'm suddenly unsure of whether or not i've watched the movie version. Seems like it's a good time to watch it and find out!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a kitten posted:

I...i'm suddenly unsure of whether or not i've watched the movie version. Seems like it's a good time to watch it and find out!

The OVA version's split into four 40-minute episodes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The OVA version's split into four 40-minute episodes.

Yeah i actually had it on VHS, the movie version is apparently different in a number of ways.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macross_Plus#Macross_Plus:_Movie_Edition

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gonna watch the 5th ep of barakamon tomorrow as instructed, and of course i'm gonna watch the whole series because it's just too cute to drop

other stuff:

Dusk Maiden (#1-3): there's potential here altho it gets bogged down by the tenchi-rear end haremness. probably wont watch more for a while

Cat's Eye (#1): 80s anime!!! the best thing about this is the thieves are called Cat's Eye, and their secret identities run a cafe called CAT'S EYE, and the cop trying to arrest them is dating one of their secret identities. so perfectly dumb and 1980s.

Patlabor (#1): 80s anime!!! the first episode doesn't really do a good job representing the series since it's a lot of exposition and new person on the job stuff, gotta watch some more.

Mononoke (#1-2): strange, stylish as gently caress mystery/horror hybrid, I know people are simulwatching this or w/e but I'm just hopping around from series to series here. my issue with this series is that the opening two-parter easily could have just been one episode, i know pacing is important for horror but this was like big 10 football levels of slow motion. also the BGs are clearly CG with a fake paper overlay and its distracting me cause everything else about the art is unique and weird in a great way

Bodacious Space Pirates (#3): when the heck does the space pirating start??? this is the slowest rear end intro to anything in the world.

Julias posted:

Neuro is not a good detective mystery. In fact, it is a terrible detective mystery, since it withholds information till the end almost every single case. However, if you read the Manga (About 200 Chapters, warning you right now), you'll realize Neuro at its heart isn't a detective mystery, but rather a action show with really good character development and solid drama, tucked in the back 2/3rds of the series

Don't watch the Anime. Read the manga. It does an Anime only ending which sucks, and the main reason for reading it (the Character development and the action of the latter arcs) doesn't really occur in the Anime. The ending theme (Kodoku no Hikari by Kagami Seira) is really good, though.
Neuro (#2-3): well, I saw your warning after I had already watched these two eps, but you're probably right. The anime seems to stick strictly to 'mystery' but without anything that's satisfying about a mystery (and in the third episode they basically just go "here's the culprit!!!" 2 minutes in). The manga is probably a better option. The anime just drops poo poo on the viewer like 777 demon tools or whatever, without any explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The surprising thing about Bodacious Space Pirates is that despite the title and premise, it's a lot more hard sci-fi than you'd expect, including the slower pacing hard sci-fi tends to have.

• Locked thread