Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

The traitor was Traitorman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There are definite hints as to the traitor in the game so far. Some are obvious, some not so much. In fact, the motivation of the traitor has been directly stated in dialogue...but not in the way that you're probably thinking of.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

chitoryu12 posted:

There are definite hints as to the traitor in the game so far. Some are obvious, some not so much. In fact, the motivation of the traitor has been directly stated in dialogue...but not in the way that you're probably thinking of.

It's amazing what you catch on the second (or subsequent) playthrough. Although I could have sworn that the Spy vs Agent conversation would have happened already, but I guess that should be the next mission.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RealSovietBear posted:

Does anyone have a video where you trigger the lasers? It's been so long that I don't remember, but going by some comments here, it's not that mundane?
We'll have a chance to get poisoned later (although I only really remember one enemy that uses cyanide bullets). And yes, it's extremely non-mundane.

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay, now I'm interested. I know how the story goes, please do remember and divulge this when we get to the end. Or do a sufficiently cryptic hint.
I mean, I remember some stuff about the whole mole deal but that's really from the sequel.

e: Oh wait, I think I might get it. Was it something Bruno said?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 2, 2016

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, now I'm interested. I know how the story goes, please do remember and divulge this when we get to the end. Or do a sufficiently cryptic hint.
I mean, I remember some stuff about the whole mole deal but that's really from the sequel.

The agency has been experiencing setbacks even before Cate became a field agent (as seen in the first cutscenes) but it's practically spite the way it looms over her performance given the circumstances.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

anilEhilated posted:

I think I know the line he means, and no. Alas it's impossible to give any more details without at least spoiling the people in the conversation. Get PMs and I can tell you which one!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'll wait. I think I have a pretty good idea now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, when we get to the reveal I'll say what the hints are.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Train riding hussies is the name of my band.

An Ounce Of Hope, A Pound Of Despair
Scene 1/Polsy

Rescue Attempt
Scene 1/Polsy

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Tickets please" :v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Oh Smithy :allears:

In light of the revelations in this video, people may wish to re-read some of the early "frivolous" intelligence items...

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 2, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Aww, I was hoping that the confrontation between husband and wife had the conductor standing awkwardly beside them, trying to get their attention. Still, it is nice to see Smithy become less of a complete bell-end and more a jerk.

Also, the dialogue in this game is surprisingly well-done. I wonder who wrote it, and if they worked in other games?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game's dialogue is good enough to look forward to the all-cutscene clips.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Train Riding Hussies. Great band name. :)

[watches latest cutscene] Ok, after Unbreakable, I know what some of Cate's speech about a certain character's past portends. Not saying specifics, spoilers.

Suggestion for NOLF 2 LP Title (if you do it): The Archer Shoots Again.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I love Mr. Jones.

Pretty bogus that they give you the camera disablers only after the safe cracker mission.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Speedball posted:

Pretty bogus that they give you the camera disablers only after the safe cracker mission.

Equipment and weapon unlocks are global, so a second playthrough to pick up the gated intel items lets you really cut loose.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Hrm, belated, and the wrong way round, but the heads of UNITY do somewhat remind me of these similarly named chaps.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
"Did you have the chicken or the fish?" reminds me of "Airplane!" But that movie came out in the 70s, not the 60s. Are they referring to a movie that "Airplane!" was spoofing?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Quiet Python posted:

"Did you have the chicken or the fish?" reminds me of "Airplane!" But that movie came out in the 70s, not the 60s. Are they referring to a movie that "Airplane!" was spoofing?

Airplane! was directly parodying Zero Hour, which came out in 1957. Many of Airplane!'s silliest lines actually came verbatim from that earlier movie, as well as the overarching food poisoning plot.

So it's definitely possible that passenger's line was a reference to Zero Hour.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

In light of the revelations in this video, people may wish to re-read some of the early "frivolous" intelligence items...
Archer had such a promising career in crime, where did she go wrong?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Quiet Python posted:

Ah yes, I remember now. I had the lasagna.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
also Airplane was from 1980.

If you like Airplane you really owe it to yourself to see Zero Hour just for how insane the comparison is. Like Polaron said, the exact same lines played for comedy in Airplane were said straight in ZH and it's just :psyduck:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Psion posted:

also Airplane was from 1980.

If you like Airplane you really owe it to yourself to see Zero Hour just for how insane the comparison is. Like Polaron said, the exact same lines played for comedy in Airplane were said straight in ZH and it's just :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO90hdkeKrs

This is pretty good for showing it off.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Speedball posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO90hdkeKrs

This is pretty good for showing it off.

That's amazing, Airplane is probably one of the best movies I've ever seen (RIP Leslie Nielsen :() and I had no idea the entire thing was just another slant on some other movie's lines.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Using propeller noises because ZH took place on a prop plane is my favorite part. It's good on so many levels.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

It's interesting to see spoof movies made around that time. Obviously, none are as good as ZAZ at their peak, but many of them, e.g. Superbus, Return of the Killer Tomatoes (which has a young George Clooney in it!), are surprisingly good. Or, at least surprisingly good in comparison to modern 'spoof' films.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

To me the last good spoof movies were Hot Shots 1 and 2. I rewatched them last year or so and still found them really enjoyable because they didn't make the jokes and references the main thing and did try to tell a goofy story at the same time.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

To me the last good spoof movies were Hot Shots 1 and 2. I rewatched them last year or so and still found them really enjoyable because they didn't make the jokes and references the main thing and did try to tell a goofy story at the same time.
While between Hot Shots Part Deux and now there has been a lot of poo poo that makes you wonder if the screenwriters for those movies ever saw the stuff they are supposedly parodying, we also had Hot Fuzz and that movie is amazing. :colbert:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

radintorov posted:

we also had Hot Fuzz and that movie is amazing. :colbert:

In this case I honestly forgot about it. v:v:v Even if I can agree it's good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I actually saw the related Rambo movie after watching Hot Shots 2 and it was amazing.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's weird because Airplane is one of my favorite movies but I literally never noticed the prop sounds with a jet engine before now. I'm personally a fan of Dracula: Dead And Loving It, since it hews surprisingly close to the source material. RIP Leslie Nielsen.

Rescue Attempt
Scene 2/Polsy

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think a commonality in many good spoof movies was the presence of Leslie Nielsen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The saying about the banality of evil regarding the Holocaust the game mentions is, I think, the saying that goes something like "There are few acts of evil which can't be accomplished by a family man working a regular job," talking about how a lot of people complicit in the Holocaust weren't SS officers, weren't diehard Nazis, were just relatively normal people doing a day to day job and in so doing were helping operate and perpetuate an atrocity.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
The subtitle of this book, about SS commander Adolf Eichmann on trial in Israel, is "The Banality of Evil". It came out in 1963. It's about how Eichmann was basically boring as hell, passionless, and followed orders. The trial made the entire Third Reich seem like it was full of guys like him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichmann_in_Jerusalem

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Leslie Nielson was loving chilling when he played a psycho in Creepshow. I don't think the man got enough credit for being as awesome as an overall actor as he was.

Back to the game: I love it when games let you hear conversations through floorboards. There's one other period stealth game that had a lot of overhearable conversations I liked, "XIII." In one level they linked into each other pretty noticibly... there were two guys in a snow level griping about their broken car, further on was a guy going back to check on them, further on were two more guys griping about the first two for holding them all up.

XIII also had visual representations for sounds, so you'd see enemy footsteps through walls. VERY useful in a stealth game.

EDIT: I wonder who the guy was who was being interrogated about Cate. Another UNITY spy? Hmmm. Don't think it was the commando that was on the train with us.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 4, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

J.theYellow posted:

The subtitle of this book, about SS commander Adolf Eichmann on trial in Israel, is "The Banality of Evil". It came out in 1963. It's about how Eichmann was basically boring as hell, passionless, and followed orders. The trial made the entire Third Reich seem like it was full of guys like him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichmann_in_Jerusalem

It's a bit off topic, to be sure, but the Beeb did a drama of the people who recorded the trial. When it came to the actual scenes of the trial itself, they used the video actually recorded at the time. It was one hell of a harrowing thing to see.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Speedball posted:

Leslie Nielson was loving chilling when he played a psycho in Creepshow. I don't think the man got enough credit for being as awesome as an overall actor as he was.

Back to the game: I love it when games let you hear conversations through floorboards. There's one other period stealth game that had a lot of overhearable conversations I liked, "XIII." In one level they linked into each other pretty noticibly... there were two guys in a snow level griping about their broken car, further on was a guy going back to check on them, further on were two more guys griping about the first two for holding them all up.

XIII also had visual representations for sounds, so you'd see enemy footsteps through walls. VERY useful in a stealth game.

EDIT: I wonder who the guy was who was being interrogated about Cate. Another UNITY spy? Hmmm. Don't think it was the commando that was on the train with us.

I've always liked Joss Whedon's mantra of 'hire your villains from comedy', the thinking being that comedy is harder than anything else, so if they can do that well, they can ace a dramatic feature. That saying was in the Serenity commentary track (whose villain was Chiwetel Ejiofor), and it's held up pretty well every time I've seen a good comedy actor play a baddie.

And yeah, there's something about floorboard conversations that makes them feel even more personal than normal stealth game eavesdrops. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory actually has a conversation about floorboards ("Nightingales! It's called a nightingale floor...") that you can listen to from under the floorboards.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WFGuy posted:

And yeah, there's something about floorboard conversations that makes them feel even more personal than normal stealth game eavesdrops. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory actually has a conversation about floorboards ("Nightingales! It's called a nightingale floor...") that you can listen to from under the floorboards.

And then when you capture the guy who loved the anti-ninja floor he's so jazzed because he thinks it means ninjas are real that he weirds Sam the hell out. :allears:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WFGuy posted:

I've always liked Joss Whedon's mantra of 'hire your villains from comedy', the thinking being that comedy is harder than anything else, so if they can do that well, they can ace a dramatic feature. That saying was in the Serenity commentary track (whose villain was Chiwetel Ejiofor), and it's held up pretty well every time I've seen a good comedy actor play a baddie.

This is true. Anyone can play an emotionless psychopath by just resisting the urge to smile and laugh, and anyone can ham it up like Jonathan Pryce in Tomorrow Never Dies. Good comedy takes an understanding of timing and how to elicit responses, which makes for an excellent actor when it comes to drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Speedball posted:

Smithy's briefing said that when we got to here, we'd have to meet up with someone who would tell us how to get into the secret base. I think that was that guy. Note how our objectives changed immediately after hearing that conversation to "find a way into the secret base".

• Locked thread