Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Franchescanado posted:

It's pretty strange to not want to even talk to a person that likes what you do.

Yeah, forget the whole 'can I look at the profile' issue (Kyle is right btw), the weirdest thing about this whole conversation was the idea that the girl mentioning she liked Runbutton made Keith so uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I saw a pic on tumblr probably where someone had found an ok cupid profile for Jonah hill's mom, only known because he is featured prominently in the family picture used in the profile

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Dickey Butts posted:

Good job on finally making some progress in that poo poo level though. Getting that wing cap is a bitch because the camera sucks.

Totes, except for Keith sabotaging the red coin run right at the end.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Getting the wing cap in shifting sand land is actually extremely easy if, instead of wheeling the camera around and struggling to triple jump like a complete ignoramus, you just do a single turnaround jump

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Looking forward to new Merio games. I've seen nothing of Sunshine ever, so that'll be cool to see. I hear there's colors and water.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Part 18/20 (LP pt.120) [Youtube]

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My favorite Tolkien book is Shadow of Mordor.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Gotta disagree with Kieth here, Tolkien himself laid an epic smackdown on Nazis suggesting his fantasy races represented racist ideals.

quote:

Personally, I should be inclined to refuse to give any Bestätigung (although it happens that I can), and let a German translation go hang. In any case I should object strongly to any such declaration appearing in print. I do not regard the (probable) absence of all Jewish blood as necessarily honourable; and I have many Jewish friends, and should regret giving any colour to the notion that I subscribed to the wholly pernicious and unscientific race-doctrine.

Dude hated racism back when scientific racism was still a widely respected doctrine, he detested it. There may have been racist overtones that you can interpret from his work, but "he's racist" is really unfair to a strident anti-racist.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Wow. Hearing that whole argument rehashed again and watching Keith hop around in the sand, in circles, for a long time, really made for a great combination.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It was a great metaphor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is austin walker gonna set you guys up with cushy jobs at his new gig?
you let him on runbutton that time. he's owes you.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
keith if you lookin for a sidepiece im ur man

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I was all ready to be a sidepiece and then you guys had to throw shade at ol' JRR, and that's a dealbreaker. :mad:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FisheyStix posted:

I was all ready to be a sidepiece and then you guys had to throw shade at ol' JRR, and that's a dealbreaker. :mad:

heard you were tolkien poo poo, run button

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Guys, you're getting gimmick infringed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUSvfcnfM8
(The video doesn't explicitly state it but they are going to do the entire series)

I've actually been watching these guys for a while, and they are, somehow, more insane than you. Because they've already done oh, I dunno, only the entire Legend of Zelda series. That's a series of 642 videos. It's so long it takes four youtube playlists to contain in its entirety! And some of the videos are over an hour long!

I dunno if I'm trying to make some kind of point here. I guess I just think it's funny, when 20 Years of Sonic started I thought the idea was so off the wall I was pretty sure no one was ever going to do something like that again. Of course, you then proceeded to do Mario and here these guys are, going above and beyond.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
There's also an attempt at a full Final Fantasy LP on these forums, as well as a significantly more sane full Mega Man X LP.

Clearly Run Button is a trend setter and deserves praise and compensation.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No one ever remembers the 25 Years of Castlevania thread that got abandoned around PS1 from before they even reg'd. :smith:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I remember it, was sad to see it die. Zeratanis was fairly entertaining.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

ikanreed posted:

Gotta disagree with Kieth here, Tolkien himself laid an epic smackdown on Nazis suggesting his fantasy races represented racist ideals.

Dude hated racism back when scientific racism was still a widely respected doctrine, he detested it. There may have been racist overtones that you can interpret from his work, but "he's racist" is really unfair to a strident anti-racist.

im literally not going to get into this again just know that my position is not nuanced but generally agreed upon. I'm not impressed by poo poo talking some nazis. A racist can poo poo talk nazis all day. They're nazis.

concession: i understand that later in his life and in his later works he put time into making his books specifically not racist and tried to be less problematic, but those works are so so so much less know and the damage to the fantasy genre has been done. The same problems that existed then exist now.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 27, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somethingdumb posted:

im literally not going to get into this again just know that my position is not nuanced but generally agreed upon. I'm not impressed by poo poo talking some nazis. A racist can poo poo talk nazis all day. They're nazis.

concession: i understand that later in his life and in his later works he put time into making his books specifically not racist and tried to be less problematic, but those works are so so so much less know and the damage to the fantasy genre has been done. The same problems that existed then exist now.

Perhaps there is just a huge overlap between nerds and fascism already. Hitler had people dressing up like Vikings and poo poo, and dudes looking for magic stones and lost cities like Indiana Jones.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Orcs are weird, since while Tolkien essentially invented them, almost all of what Orcs are was either extrapolated or invented after the fact, rather than actually in Tolkien's writings. Tolkien only ever wrote them as the same goblins that had been poking in and out all over European folklore for centuries, but he just gave them a neat new name because Middle Earth basically exists for the sake of a bunch of linguistic thought experiments.

The orcs that Tolkien wrote were all short, squat little things, that a Hobbit could pass for if disguised properly. Even though they didn't have a proper language of their own (which was Tolkien's biggest act of disrespect to them), they still form their own little kingdoms, and Mordor was still left to them after the war of the Ring. They weren't flat evil beings who were born into this world only to be slaughtered until DnD. came around.

And then there's the Southrons and Easterlings who were pretty standard for pulp of the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And then there's the Southrons and Easterlings who were pretty standard for pulp of the time.

Southrons, Transform and Move Out! :3:

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Part 19/20 (LP pt.122) [Youtube]
Part 20/20 (LP pt.122) [Youtube]

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
I like ASMR, but two people doing ASMR at the same time is not something I ever want to experience again.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Molly Millions posted:

I like ASMR, but two people doing ASMR at the same time is not something I ever want to experience again.

Saw this, decided not to click on either link, gently caress ASMR forever.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
it lasts for like 45 seconds of one video

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
I had no idea you could climb onto the penguin like that to avoid getting blown off the snowman.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Keith, how do you not have your Stellaris save? Do you not believe in Steam Cloud?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 5, 2016

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

you were warned posted:

Woah, settle down there tiger. It was a joke post about a very short joke the guys did.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

you were warned posted:

They were literally just speaking in hushed tones for a brief part of the video.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
That last video was 4.5 minutes too long! :argh:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Sheesh, I was kidding! (Though whisper-eating does make my skin crawl.)

I never knew about climbing the penguin either. Looks a hell of a lot easier than trying to shuffle along with it and getting pushed/blown off a bunch of times until you hate that whole level. :sigh:

I can't remember what side games we may have passed along the way, so I'm looking forward to that. Though I'm guessing there are a thousand other Mario Parties to come.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Lizard Wizard posted:

Keith, how do you not have your Stellaris save? Do you not believe in Steam Cloud?

i never logged into the paradox thing to enable cloud saves

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Yoshi's Story (1998)
Part 1/1 (LP pt.123) [Youtube]

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
The weird thing about Yoshi games is how annoyingly min-maxy they can get, and Yoshi's Story is no exception. The "right" way to beat a level is to consume nothing but melons (not watermelons, those are dark green; the light green kind of spherical fruit). But melons are typically hidden in the ground (you have to sniff them up), or behind one-chance gimmicks (like the chomp race in level 1-1) that get obnoxiously difficult in later levels, and there are always exactly 30 in a level. Managing to be even less fun than Yoshi's Island to perfect is quite a feat, though at least there's no content locked behind getting high scores like in Yoshi's Island. I think.

Either way the score system is barely worth interacting with, so if you don't care what 30 fruits you eat, the game becomes both stupidly easy and you'll probably skip most content. Hooray?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Yoshi's Story only gets one episode? That's a bit disappointing, since the main story only takes about three hours apparently.

I really liked this game as a kid, and I loved the music. Yoshi was the coolest thing ever.

I was watching some Sonic 06 episodes that I hadn't seen and you guys mentioned a Rare Replay series. Can this be a thing? I know you guys do the paid subscription videos/podcasts plus the Marios, but it would be loving awesome.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Franchescanado posted:

Yoshi's Story only gets one episode? That's a bit disappointing, since the main story only takes about three hours apparently.

I'm honestly surprised it takes that long. Reimou isn't kidding when he says the game is stupid easy if you ignore scoring.

And the worst thing about Story is the insufferable yoshi sounds became standard every game after this

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I was not prepared for how not a game that game was.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

The overly cutesy aesthetic and gameplay of Yoshi's Story is so punchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yoshis island was an awesome game, and Keith's inability to see that is testament to his terrible taste in games.

• Locked thread