Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Unmature posted:

Is thi-... Is this a sarcastic post? Are you being sarcastic?

Why would this be sarcasm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do hope a lot of people feel the same way as you did after a rewatch. It's one of my favorites this year, and it bummed me out when everyone actively disliked it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

I'm finally rewatching Godzilla since seeing it in theaters, and it's only 20 minutes in and I've done a complete 180 on my feelings regarding it. This is a really, really good movie. There's a lot of really wonderful details I missed, and I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being one of my favorite movies of the year.

I don't want to sound like a smart rear end but after reading all your posts earlier in the thread I had a feeling this was going to happen. It felt like you were talking yourself into liking the picture as you went.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm gonna get the BR so I can point some poo poo out in screenshots.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

I don't want to sound like a smart rear end but after reading all your posts earlier in the thread I had a feeling this was going to happen. It felt like you were talking yourself into liking the picture as you went.

I mean, I made no secret of disliking the movie outright even though I praised certain qualities of it. But for the most part my posts were strictly to do with debating critical readings of the film, as opposed to many posters who disliked the movie who outright rejected the very idea of this. It's much less me actively 'working' towards liking the film as it is other posters who gave me a fresh perspective on something that has turned out to be additive to my second viewing of the film. My whole position is that I love film itself much more than I may dislike any individual film, so even if I dislike something I don't blankly dismiss its critical analysis or discussion.

I don't think you're being a "smart rear end" at all; I think you're not giving enough credit to posters who actually engaged me in a discussion of the film.

Smellslike
May 7, 2007

DRUGS
I enjoyed this much more on second watch. The uninteresting lead, awkward writing and wasted co-star talent didn't seem as prominent when you take the movie as a whole and don't have that beautifully haunting (But misleading) tone from the trailers fresh in your head.

But the cheering at the end still grated with me...God drat. You don't cheer for a category 5 hurricane because it ended the drought.

Smellslike fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 13, 2014

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Smellslike posted:

I enjoyed this much more on second watch. The uninteresting lead, awkward writing and wasted co-star talent didn't seem as prominent when you take the movie as a whole and don't have that beautifully haunting (But misleading) tone from the trailers fresh in your head.

I really wanted to see the movie the trailers advertised.

Smellslike
May 7, 2007

DRUGS

Byzantine posted:

I really wanted to see the movie the trailers advertised.

Well, it did its job.

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/community/forums/topic/34884

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People just didn't pay attention. The Oppenheimer quote in the teaser talks about Vishnu, the centipede creature that is killed by Godzilla.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People just didn't pay attention. The Oppenheimer quote in the teaser talks about Vishnu, the centipede creature that is killed by Godzilla.

Uh huh. I'd love to know how you reached that conclusion.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

People would cheer for a hurricane if it had a face, and obvious emotions, and was trying to help people, even if it did kill people. Anthropomorphism is a powerful thing.

Smellslike
May 7, 2007

DRUGS

Travis343 posted:

Anthropomorphism is a powerful thing.

Sure, but in the context of the film where Godzilla kills people just by moving from a to b I'd think cheering him would be the last thing people would do, especially in the immediate aftermath.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Smellslike posted:

But the cheering at the end still grated with me...God drat. You don't cheer for a category 5 hurricane because it ended the drought.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/29/us-usa-storm-drought-idUSTRE76S02R20110729

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Smellslike posted:

Sure, but in the context of the film where Godzilla kills people just by moving from a to b I'd think cheering him would be the last thing people would do, especially in the immediate aftermath.

Why?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean to me, the whole cheering at the end thing read as a very deliberate gag, much as it did in Godzilla 2000.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
No this is an extremely serious movie, didn't you see the trailer?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'd cheer for Godzilla, even if he stepped on my house and killed my family. That part of the movie was the most realistic of anything, tbh.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm very glad the movie was not as grave as the trailer. I didn't really want another Man of Steel.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shamelessly stolen from BSS:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Byzantine posted:

Uh huh. I'd love to know how you reached that conclusion.

The full quote is as follows:

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

The multi-armed creature is responsible for the impressive destruction in the trailer, and Godzilla is shown simply emerging from the rubble. In the film itself, Godzilla doesn't resemble Vishnu much at all.

Smellslike posted:

Whenever people write stuff this, what's really meant is "I wouldn't cheer for him."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Whenever people write stuff this, what's really meant is "I wouldn't cheer for him."

Exactly.
"I would not worship any diety."

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You worship Godzilla but you do not pray to him.

Smellslike
May 7, 2007

DRUGS

Did people cheer Old Testament God for his actions in purging the wicked, or did they stand in awed silence? I always thought it was less "rejoice from atop the mountain" and more "keep your loving head down".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
"God's will be done" always sounded to me like a sort of "well, what can you do?"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The full quote is as follows:

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another."

The multi-armed creature is responsible for the impressive destruction in the trailer, and Godzilla is shown simply emerging from the rubble. In the film itself, Godzilla doesn't resemble Vishnu much at all.

But the trailer changes the quote to "and says 'SKKREEEONNKKKKHHHH'." It explicitly connects Big G with the god.

There's also the other trailer that outright lied and showed people desperately hiding in a bunker from Godzilla.

wdarkk posted:

"God's will be done" always sounded to me like a sort of "well, what can you do?"

Deuszilla vult.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Smellslike posted:

Did people cheer Old Testament God for his actions in purging the wicked, or did they stand in awed silence? I always thought it was less "rejoice from atop the mountain" and more "keep your loving head down".

Ancient civilizations were mad racist. I mean, you're not wrong, there's no lack of "keep your head down" and locking your pride away, but a lot of that smiting is very much written in the spirit of "Our God is the best god and our people are the best people and those other guys had it coming." Midrash is even more explicit about this.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You know even though the centipede thing isn't in the actual movie the Mutos do have multiple arms.

I've re-watched Godzilla probably five times over the last couple of weeks and every time I do I notice something else linking Ford and Godzilla's journeys together and something else incredibly idiotic that the military does. It's literally my favorite movie ever, basically.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
I've been really enjoying the soundtrack while I work. It makes my current project seem huge, ponderous and deadly to bystanders.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Smellslike posted:

Exultation in relief is perfectly acceptable, I'm not gonna knock those poor people.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Byzantine posted:

But the trailer changes the quote to "and says 'SKKREEEONNKKKKHHHH'." It explicitly connects Big G with the god.

The roar interrupts the quote, but doesn't replace it. The message in the teaser is that the power unleashed is beyond Vishnu.

The teaser is 'misleading' because it is designed to play differently before and after the film itself. When viewed with foreknowledge that Godzilla is the good guy, the meaning changes a great deal.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

For example at the end, when Ford is slumped down on the boat, drifting off into the sea with the nuke about to go off, he passes under the section of the Golden Gate Bridge that Godzilla destroyed earlier to get to the city. He's leaving the same way Godzilla entered.

If you want to get theological about it, his view of "Heaven" is unobstructed, because he's following God(zilla)'s path. The movie is full of this kind of poo poo and I love it so much.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Travis343 posted:

For example at the end, when Ford is slumped down on the boat, drifting off into the sea with the nuke about to go off, he passes under the section of the Golden Gate Bridge that Godzilla destroyed earlier to get to the city. He's leaving the same way Godzilla entered.

If you want to get theological about it, his view of "Heaven" is unobstructed, because he's following God(zilla)'s path. The movie is full of this kind of poo poo and I love it so much.

Me too

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

The roar interrupts the quote, but doesn't replace it. The message in the teaser is that the power unleashed is beyond Vishnu.

So Godzilla is what? The Monad/Brahman ("Monarch") seems like the appropriate answer, but I'm in over my head when it comes to Hindu cosmology.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
As far as I'm concerned Godzilla is still Vishnu, evoking Brody's Kshatriya duty. This was a lot of the reason I didn't particularly like the film the first time around - I think SMG is kind of off in that Godzilla is destroying Vishnu as represented by the centipede/the Mutos. There is very much a militaristic dharma that pervades Godzilla, and unlike Pacific Rim - where men become monsters, as opposed to monsters becoming like men - there isn't a shred of cynical irony. The film's conclusion is overtly similar to Mike McCoy and Scott Waugh's Act of Valor, and I don't think these propagandistic elements can be ignored.

However, I think what Godzilla as Vishnu does repudiate is, as Serizawa would have it, the arrogance of man. If Godzilla represents Vishnu 'impressing' Brody to fulfill his Kshatriya dharma, than the Bomb - the thing that does not create and only ineffectually persists besides Godzilla, a representation of the military industrial complex - represents Oppenheimer's false conception of man becoming God through his defiant will to kill. The Bomb represents the warrior without discipline, the war without a goal, the thing that fires wantonly and only escalates chaos. Furthermore, the Bomb is mirrored in the Mutos, the 'nuclear family' that literally arises not only from the colonial influence of nuclear power abroad, but our national attempts to 'bury' or 'cover up' ecological devastation, an unstated war on nature itself for man-as-God supremacy. (You'll notice that there's a distinct flavor of an Eastern religious icon repudiating the Judeo-Christian claim to dominion over nature.)

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Tack on the first half hour or so of Cranston and I wouldn't even have to buy the movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

K. Waste posted:

As far as I'm concerned Godzilla is still Vishnu...

Vishnu's incarnation as Ananta (infinite)/Shesha (that which remains)-Naga seems somewhat appropriate; an eternal serpent who survives (or in some accounts causes) the death and rebirth of the world, dwelling in the ocean and supporting the world, subsisting on air alone, identified with breath.

e: Also, taught humanity the Yoga, which could be seen as relevant vis-a-vis Brody.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 14, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Travis343 posted:

You know even though the centipede thing isn't in the actual movie the Mutos do have multiple arms.

I have multiple arms.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I have multiple arms.

Godzilla's comin' for you, tough guy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
My god has more arms than your god.