Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
They were probably told how the soldiers responded to Bacha bazi and got cold feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Building on flood plains is smart and cool.

Also, oh dear, the North:

Each triangle is a separate flood warning. Try not to drown, northern UKMTers.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 26, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

XMNN posted:

Looks like flooding is going to be back in a big way in the next few days.

Stay safe, goons.

I am currently kicking around Sutton Bank in Yorkshire, and the flooding is indeed getting pretty mental.

Also a pub has collapsed in Manchester and the city centre is flooding, and a big hole opened up in the M62 on the side we're travelling back on, so it's not going to be much better when I get back either.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

XMNN posted:

also, once again continuously making GBS threads all over your overworked and underpaid workforce has the entirely predictable result that people don't want to work for you anymore:

Once again, "shortage of [experienced professionals] willing to work for low or even negative net pay" is reported simply as "shortage of [professionals]"

Spangly A posted:

theres a ten percent shortage in teaching the subject with the most unemployed degree graduates.

Someone else is going to have this realisation, and then the idea that qualifications don't really matter.

Hmm. I don't agree but I'm having trouble explaining why. That feels like the wrong conclusion to draw?

Maybe I've missed the point you were trying to make.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Some rich bloke I've encountered owns a big country pile in lancashire and I'm hoping there's justice in the world and his poo poo got washed away too.
But he probably lives up on a hill somewhere.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

You could always find out where he lives and burn his house down or something.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Might have to wait until the rain lets up a bit first, though.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Hmm. I don't agree but I'm having trouble explaining why. That feels like the wrong conclusion to draw?

You don't agree because you are able to read words and not just nod along to The Olden Ways and other white people you agree with.

I'm saying Gove was given education, so clearly neither the children or the department matter a drat and besides which, education is in direct opposition to conservatism. Spain deregulated teaching, a few of my friends have already fled to where having a degree and speaking English is a cast iron guarantee job. It will happen, it will happen before the next election, and that will be the full extent of the thought they give it.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 26, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Just took a look on my Facebook to see what the internet has been doing in my absence, and holy poo poo, Yorkshire is underwater. :stare:

Any N England goons here in the UKMT posting from subaqua strongholds? I saw a bit of water on the ground during my flight up to Scotland but I didn't realise it was that bad.

e: ^^ Oh, I see we're already discussing it. Sorry!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

you know if Serco were allowed to run teachers as well as schools I'm sure there'd be an adequate supply of warm bodies by the next benefit review

I'd say "flee the country" but the tories defunded all the flood defenses and nobody has noticed this bit of minutae, so we're long past that point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm in yorkshire but on a hill.

I don't think I could live anywhere that isn't to be honest.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I'm in yorkshire but on a hill.

I don't think I could live anywhere that isn't to be honest.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm entirely unaffected by floodwater.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm in Manchester and its wet but not flooding.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
I went to do a shop at Morrisons in Kirkstall this morning. An hour after I got home and the road to get there is underwater. Crazy stuff.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I'm entirely unaffected by floodwater.

You are, of course, a duck.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/young-hated-and-white-what-its-like-to-be-in-britains-most-derid/

Young white men are the most derided group in Britain, study finds

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I escaped flooding to dominican republic for crimbo. Aww yeeee

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

good

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
chavvier than thou

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Young men in general are the worst according to that survey. The best way to not be derided is 'be over 30'.
Also it's questionable about some of the bad things, like the assumption that 'doing drugs' is bad purely in and of itself.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Most obnoxious entitled group hated by everyone!? What the gently caress?

It's ok because British white people are also the most useless at fighting back so nothing will come of this but whining. Being milquetoast passive fuckwits not so clever now is it you scarf wearing pricks.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I never really thought young men had a hard time of it until my kid became an adult and I kind of feel like he does get a bit of a tough time. Obviously nothing like as bad as institutionalised racism and sexism but things like his girlfriends parents have all said horrible things about him (which they have very kindly repeated back to him), someone called the police on him because he 'looked dodgy'. He's not a rocket scientist or anything but he honestly isn't that bad. When I was talking to my brothers about it they said pretty much the same thing happened with them, girlfriends parents hated them and they felt constantly under suspicion.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
idle young men are the greatest danger to our society and it's good that everyone has internalised that and treats them with suspicion

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Most obnoxious entitled group hated by everyone!? What the gently caress?

It's ok because British white people are also the most useless at fighting back so nothing will come of this but whining. Being milquetoast passive fuckwits not so clever now is it you scarf wearing pricks.

How come we invaded a quarter of the world then?

e: didn't notice 'fighting back', doesn't really count if you start it i guess.

Pantsuit fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 26, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

XMNN posted:

e: also, once again continuously making GBS threads all over your overworked and underpaid workforce has the entirely predictable result that people don't want to work for you anymore:
But but but high house prices are the foundation of Are Strong Economy

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 26, 2015

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Oberleutnant posted:

Some rich bloke I've encountered owns a big country pile in lancashire and I'm hoping there's justice in the world and his poo poo got washed away too.
But he probably lives up on a hill somewhere.

General China hasn't posted in ages, has he?

I'm in Lancashire near to many flooded places, I've had family messaging me all day to ask if I've been affected. (If the lazy bastards ever visited me they'd know I live on a massive hill.) It's been pissing it down all day though which is still poo poo.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Huh, the specific street in Leeds when I work has a severe weather warning issued against it. Wonder what I'll get back in to.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I never really thought young men had a hard time of it until my kid became an adult and I kind of feel like he does get a bit of a tough time. Obviously nothing like as bad as institutionalised racism and sexism but things like his girlfriends parents have all said horrible things about him (which they have very kindly repeated back to him), someone called the police on him because he 'looked dodgy'. He's not a rocket scientist or anything but he honestly isn't that bad. When I was talking to my brothers about it they said pretty much the same thing happened with them, girlfriends parents hated them and they felt constantly under suspicion.

hitler was a young man once. makes u think.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wahey, got MGS5 for Christmas!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Many of the men I spoke to similarly pointed out problems with the structure of the survey, but i still had an article to write so come on let's fill some columns with some meaningless bollocks about race and gender that always fires the clicks up

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Floodwaters slowly closing in on my area of Leeds while I'm away for Christmas

Hoping the house isn't flooded when I get back, fortunately rent on the first floor

At least big Dave was able to save some cash on the flood protection

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I don't have any alcohol left. Send help.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

VileLL posted:

At least big Dave was able to save some cash on the flood protection

he also gets to go to secret COBRA meetings and pretend he isn't an cancerous figurehead but actually a real cool and tough dude

I mean, they picked COBRA. Willingly. As a name.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
do you think they have a real cobra at the cobra base?

i hope it bites pigfucker right on the taint.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Got Undertale for Christmas. I'm only a couple of hours in, but so far it's the best game I've played all year. I seriously recommend that all of you play it.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Oberleutnant posted:

I don't have any alcohol left. Send help.

I have unlimited alcohol and a Montecristo Sublime to smoke I'm at work in the pub and everyone in here is an arsehole

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Venomous posted:

Got Undertale for Christmas. I'm only a couple of hours in, but so far it's the best game I've played all year. I seriously recommend that all of you play it.

I played the demo a while back and have been meaning to pick it up since it came out. Is it as weird and almost urban-legendy as people say?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

I played the demo a while back and have been meaning to pick it up since it came out. Is it as weird and almost urban-legendy as people say?

Not really, it's just a really good thing in the internet age. Just remember you don't have to kill anything and you are good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Stormgale posted:

Not really, it's just a really good thing in the internet age. Just remember you don't have to kill anything and you are good to go.

Does that include those really annoying carrot things?

• Locked thread