Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ham posted:

Egyptian presidential election committee announces a 35% turnout so far.

Is Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf now the Egyptian information minister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think Sisi is well into believing his own personality cult at this point (and in record time). They can't just make up the numbers because that would be hiding the truth! The truth that the people love him!

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
There's a new Frontline piece by PBS, "Syria: Arming the Rebels", that goes into the training and munitions received overseas by select rebel groups:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/syria-arming-the-rebels/

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Sisi's reputation is really taking a beating. Not because of the low turnout, but because of the government and media's meltdown over it.

Turnout today is even worse than it was yesterday apparently.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ham posted:

Sisi's reputation is really taking a beating. Not because of the low turnout, but because of the government and media's meltdown over it.

Turnout today is even worse than it was yesterday apparently.

My schadenfreude is at orgasmic levels, I am so proud that the vast majority of Egyptians didnt show up. they might be able to make alot of noise and propaganda over Sisi's supposed 'popularity', but when it came to the real deal the Egyptians knew what the game was and didn't take part in it.

At this rate, Sisi's gonna get less overall number of votes than Morsi did in the first round of the 2012 vote,and thats with the whole state behind him hahaha.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Al-Saqr posted:

My schadenfreude is at orgasmic levels, I am so proud that the vast majority of Egyptians didnt show up. they might be able to make alot of noise and propaganda over Sisi's supposed 'popularity', but when it came to the real deal the Egyptians knew what the game was and didn't take part in it.

At this rate, Sisi's gonna get less overall number of votes than Morsi did in the first round of the 2012 vote,and thats with the whole state behind him hahaha.

I doubt that. Morsi got about 5.5 million votes in the first round, and 13 million in the second. If a 35% (17.5 million) turnout is true, hes likely to match Morsi's second round numbers, if not beat them (depending on how much of the vote goes to Sabbahi/is void).

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Egypt's Presidential Election Committee is now threatening to fine anyone who doesn't have an excuse for not voting approximately $70 USD.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

suboptimal posted:

Egypt's Presidential Election Committee is now threatening to fine anyone who doesn't have an excuse for not voting approximately $70 USD.

Glorious, voting isn't actually mandatory in Egypt is it?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/11/sweden-refugee-policy-sets-high-standard-2013112485613526863.html

Oh, a comment section! Al-jazeera is pretty nice, maybe this one will be different?

quote:

"Dumb blondes. They are going to be raped to death by these fleeing Syrian war criminals."

Hmm, to death? Ugh, I can't stand rape. It's a horrible way to go! Still, seems a bit alarmist...

quote:

How do you explain the fact that Arabs are 5% of Sweden populations but responsible to 80% of the rapes ?"

Wow that's really productive of them, I had no idea they made so much of our rape. No wonder our politicians are pushing other countries to accept our rape and import some.

Although I do not like rape, it's good that they get a well paying manufacturing job so soon after immigrating here :thejoke:

Thanks Al-Jazeera comment section, you've been real informative!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Glorious, voting isn't actually mandatory in Egypt is it?

According to this article, it is, but it's never been enforced:

quote:

Prime Minister Ibrahim Mehleb said fining those who are eligible but fail to cast a vote in the presidential elections is a “law that is implemented,” responding to reporters’ questions on Tuesday, the second day of voting.

Abdel Aziz Salman, the secretary general of the Supreme Electoral Commission, was cited by the BBC as saying: “Egyptian authorities will fine all those who fail to vote in the presidential elections, according to the law.” He said that the fine would be implemented after abstainers are “referred to prosecution and court, too”.

Article 43 of the Presidential Electoral Commission states that any Egyptian whose name is registered in the voters’ database and does not vote without an excuse may be fined up to EGP 500, an equivalent of $70.

Salman told the BBC that the court will make the final decision on how the fine will be collected.

In June 2012, then Secretary General of the Presidential Electoral Commission suggested penalising those who do not vote in the 2012 presidential elections by fining them EGP 500.

In the 2012 elections, 24,538,031 voters did not vote. Had the government implemented the fine, it would have collected more than EGP 12bn.

However, the proposed fine and similar talk of fining those who abstained from voting in the 2011-2012 parliamentary elections an equal amount were never enforced.

Polling stations opened on Monday and Tuesday, allowing Egyptians to choose between two presidential candidates, former Defence Minister Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi and Nasserist politician Hamdeen Sabahy, with the former widely expected to win.

Edit:

Pimpmust posted:

Why would you ever read the comments on any news story whatsoever? It's like the diaper for whatever slides out of the Internet's festering rear end.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 28, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My damaged brain takes some sort of amusement from reading comment sections.

I don't know why.

Sisi talk: I actually thought they'd manage a bigger turnout, if for nothing else how big the military is (lots of families getting a straight pay-check from that teat) and the iron grip on the media.

Pretty impressive failure really.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I haven't paid too much attention to it, but apparently Assad's been GOTVing in Beirut and pissing off a lot of Lebanese.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of turnout in Egypt as some sort of anti-coup statement by the general population, given both the coup and Sisi's popularity (at least among the urban populace). I think rather its more that since his victory is a foregone conclusion, it's having a suppressive effect on turnout. He'll win anyway, so why bother standing in line to cast a meaningless ballot?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vernii posted:

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of turnout in Egypt as some sort of anti-coup statement by the general population, given both the coup and Sisi's popularity (at least among the urban populace).

You're basically saying "this can't be true, because it isn't true!" here. Even for the Egyptian government, it's very hard to get an accurate assessment of Sisi's popularity in Egypt's current delirious state. This is one of the most strong signs that his support might not be all that its worked up to be. This is why the establishment is having a meltdown.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Pardon me, Goons of Upper and Lower Aegyptus, I'm wondering how Sabbahi's campaign/media presence/reputation/popular opinion went?

I know it's kinda futile because he never stood a chance, but how did he dealt with that farcical position he was stuck in? Good, bad, ugly?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Pardon me, Goons of Upper and Lower Aegyptus, I'm wondering how Sabbahi's campaign/media presence/reputation/popular opinion went?

I know it's kinda futile because he never stood a chance, but how did he dealt with that farcical position he was stuck in? Good, bad, ugly?

Hamdeen Sabbahi is the type of person whos pride never allows him to not take any opportunity to run for office, but at the same time he never goes all the way and doesnt do or say whatever is needed to be done to actually win those races. he has all the makings of a success story, but none of the competence and savvy he needs to make an impact.

But he was especially fooling himself if he thought he was going to win this race, this entire presidential race was set up to be a '99%' deal, Even if he won, he would have lost from fraud and forgery, and he hurt his credibility by not making a clear stand from the first moment, his pride got the better of him.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 29, 2014

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Sabbahi's campaign was widely ridiculed. He's popularly known as "the stand-in". Egyptian media lauded him for his courage in running when he knew he had no chance, theorizing that he's doing it to help Sisi's legitimacy.

His campaign was fairly low-key, with some limited public appearances and zero support from private media. His aides did pretty well in debates with Sisi's aides, but that was really it. On the other hand, Sisi had zero public appearances but dominated the TV with interviews, meetings with delegates from different groups in Egypt and huge banners on nearly every major street in Cairo labeling him "Candidate #1 - Long live Egypt!"

Somehow, Sabbahi's campaign was publicly confident of victory, even at the end of the second day of voting. So he dealt with it well, I guess.

Ham fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 29, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
How did his aides generally handle debates with Sisi aides? I mean what is there to debate? It seems like you would have to tiptoe around several elephants in the room--the fact that democracy is dead, for example.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the perspectives!

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW
There is reports that Americans (possibly radicalized by brown Moses) has committed a suicide bombing on an Arab restaurant full of "infidels".

How Ironic.

quote:

Opposition forces said he was a U.S. citizen who called himself Abu Hurayra al-Amriki. The name al-Amriki means "the American."

It is not known how many people died in the bombing.

Abu-Salha was identified as having taken part in activities with the al-Qaida-linked insurgency group Nusra Front. That group and the Islamic Front's Suqour al-Sham claimed responsibility for the blast.

Psaki says it is difficult for the U.S. to measure how many foreign fighters are taking part in Syria's three-year civil war.

"We are concerned about the flow of the foreign fighters into and out of Syria," she said. "It's difficult to provide that level of analysis or a precise figure but we're engaged in a focus outreach effort with key partner governments regarding our shared concern of foreign fighters to the Syrian conflict."

Opposition rebels said Abu-Salha's truck was loaded with 16 tons of explosives, headed for the al-Fanar restaurant. It was one of four truck bombings that day in Idlib province.

http://www.voanews.com/content/american-suicide-bomber-linked-to-al-qaida-in-syria/1926064.html

Now I know that brown Moses blog had posts and radicalized a European to jihad. I just wonder if this might be another casualty of brown Mose's stay at home blogging.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BabyChoom posted:

There is reports that Americans (possibly radicalized by brown Moses)

:lol: Brown Moses, more like Shadow Moses.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BabyChoom posted:

Now I know that brown Moses blog had posts and radicalized a European to jihad.

What was his name? :allears: You don't get radicalized into sympathizing with takfiri ideology because of someone reporting details of attacks and weapons.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
First Brown Moses supports the devilish Amerikkkan Empire, now he's supporting Noble Freedom Fighters Agaisnt The West? Geez, what a flip flopper!

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

First Brown Moses supports the devilish Amerikkkan Empire, now he's supporting Noble Freedom Fighters Agaisnt The West? Geez, what a flip flopper!

Huh? The heart-eating terrorists in Syria are Zionist-CIA-Saudi-Turkish-French-British mercenaries (and some true believing locals tricked by CIA/MOSSAD psyops propaganda) to destroy the mighty bastion of anti-West and anti-Iϟϟrahell resistance axis that is the Syrian Arab Republic. They just want to dismantle the anti-Imperialist alliance of Syria (headed by greatest hero of the Palestinian people Bashar al-Assad), Hizballah, and Iran to halt their imminent liberation of Palestine.
Just like how they also funded the NATO ZOG (trained in Poland-Lithuania) mercenaries in Ukraine to overthrow the democratically elected Yanukovich government (with the help of the FBI false flag sniper attack) so they could install the neo-Nazi junta in Kyiv that's currently carrying out a genocide in Novorussia. This was of course all just another Zionist operation to get Ukrainian Jews to leave the Banderist state for the Zionist Entity, by the way.

Pfft, I bet you get your "news" from brainwashing US corporate media propaganda and lies :rolleyes:

Radio Prune fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 1, 2014

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Volkerball posted:

What was his name? :allears: You don't get radicalized into sympathizing with takfiri ideology because of someone reporting details of attacks and weapons.

Brown Moses is anti-Assad. This guy was a jihadist. There are jihadists in the anti-Assad movement.

Fail to see the overwhelming evidence, sheeple? :smug:

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW
This was the first person from a foreign country that brown moses helped radicialize http://brown-moses.blogspot.se/2013/11/new-key-evidence-in-understanding.html

The thread that showed that he died was on http://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/1vpa5x/uanonymousnojk_has_migrated_to_syria/ in which they go more in debt then anything else.

The problem was not that Brown Moses encouraged him. The problem was that after showing all those clips and partial propaganda, he did not discourage him to fight in a CIVIL WAR that he had no business with. Now I'm not saying that it was 100% brown moses fault in encouraging a lunatic to go to jihad. All I'm saying is that he does bare responsibility (however little it may be) for sending young men with no military training to their death in Syria.

Perhaps if he wasn't biased against Assad and tried to show both sides of the conflict ( there is a lot of reporting done by legitimate journalists who aren't part of the twitter news network) then he would seem more credible.

An example is that while brown moses was going on and on about barrel bombs with chlorine, he never mentioned that the rebels also used chemical weapons like white phosphorus.

Withholding information does not make you an honest broker when you do that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BabyChoom posted:

There is reports that Americans (possibly radicalized by brown Moses) has committed a suicide bombing on an Arab restaurant full of "infidels".

How Ironic.

http://www.voanews.com/content/american-suicide-bomber-linked-to-al-qaida-in-syria/1926064.html

Now I know that brown Moses blog had posts and radicalized a European to jihad. I just wonder if this might be another casualty of brown Mose's stay at home blogging.

Permaban Brown Moses; Baby Choom for Moderator For Life for D&D.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SedanChair posted:

:lol: Brown Moses, more like Shadow Moses.

Brown Mossad

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BabyChoom posted:

This was the first person from a foreign country that brown moses helped radicialize http://brown-moses.blogspot.se/2013/11/new-key-evidence-in-understanding.html

The thread that showed that he died was on http://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/1vpa5x/uanonymousnojk_has_migrated_to_syria/ in which they go more in debt then anything else.

The problem was not that Brown Moses encouraged him. The problem was that after showing all those clips and partial propaganda, he did not discourage him to fight in a CIVIL WAR that he had no business with. Now I'm not saying that it was 100% brown moses fault in encouraging a lunatic to go to jihad. All I'm saying is that he does bare responsibility (however little it may be) for sending young men with no military training to their death in Syria.

Perhaps if he wasn't biased against Assad and tried to show both sides of the conflict ( there is a lot of reporting done by legitimate journalists who aren't part of the twitter news network) then he would seem more credible.

An example is that while brown moses was going on and on about barrel bombs with chlorine, he never mentioned that the rebels also used chemical weapons like white phosphorus.

Withholding information does not make you an honest broker when you do that.

Yeah, this is the post that lead me to put Babychoom on ignore. Never thought I'd use the feature until today.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

BabyChoom posted:

...The problem was not that Brown Moses encouraged him. The problem was that after showing all those clips and partial propaganda, he did not discourage him to fight in a CIVIL WAR that he had no business with. Now I'm not saying that it was 100% brown moses fault in encouraging a lunatic to go to jihad. All I'm saying is that he does bare responsibility (however little it may be) for sending young men with no military training to their death in Syria....

I agree, lets lock up everyone who reported on Abu Gharib since they didn't discourage lunatic jihadists to go fight in a civil war they had no business with.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

BabyChoom posted:

So you're all for Obama droning Brown Moses ala Anwar al-Awlaki, then?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RandomPauI posted:

Yeah, this is the post that lead me to put Babychoom on ignore. Never thought I'd use the feature until today.

Every single post he makes should be in the goldmine.

Help I've watched too much coverage on this new fangled gadget and now I have urges to destroy it all.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW
What I'm trying to say that I have no problem with documenting the war. There are other outlets then twitter news network and the youtube propaganda outlets set up by the militia to recruit people who have emotionally involved themselves by showing videos of huge explosions of wasteland and claiming a victory.

Brown Moses has even admitted that the rebels are using chemical weapons after trying to dodge the question for 5-6 posts. This does not lend to the truth and an impartial accounting of the history of events. It is just rah rah cheer leading that can influence people to go to a full fledged civil war to just get blown to bits.

Also, in Brown Moses blog he does not try to silence the crazies. The people who are actually radicalizing to go there. Those comments are simply ignored.

If you are trying to get the "truth" out there then you have to have a tiny bit of control on your blog. You also have to use other sources that aren't social media. If you must then you should also use the other side as well as reporters who are in contact with both sides.

I understand Assad is a dickhead. The thing is that Brown Moses, now that he has the spotlight, isn't lying. It's just that he avoids telling the whole truth and that has an affect on wannabe jihadists on whether to go to a foreign nation and die or stay home.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I get it: you went to Syria based on Brown Moses's subliminal messages, didn't you?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Guys mental illness isn't really funny.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

ThirdPartyView posted:

I get it: you went to Syria based on Brown Moses's subliminal messages, didn't you?

:ssh:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Posting from my iPad in Syria, where's the Brown Moses Battalion at?

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
There's no way Choom is really that retarded he's obviously a troll.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

It's the mideast thread. Do you really have to wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BabyChoom posted:

What I'm trying to say that I have no problem with documenting the war. There are other outlets then twitter news network and the youtube propaganda outlets set up by the militia to recruit people who have emotionally involved themselves by showing videos of huge explosions of wasteland and claiming a victory.

Brown Moses has even admitted that the rebels are using chemical weapons after trying to dodge the question for 5-6 posts. This does not lend to the truth and an impartial accounting of the history of events. It is just rah rah cheer leading that can influence people to go to a full fledged civil war to just get blown to bits.

Also, in Brown Moses blog he does not try to silence the crazies. The people who are actually radicalizing to go there. Those comments are simply ignored.

If you are trying to get the "truth" out there then you have to have a tiny bit of control on your blog. You also have to use other sources that aren't social media. If you must then you should also use the other side as well as reporters who are in contact with both sides.

I understand Assad is a dickhead. The thing is that Brown Moses, now that he has the spotlight, isn't lying. It's just that he avoids telling the whole truth and that has an affect on wannabe jihadists on whether to go to a foreign nation and die or stay home.

The only way to portray the war that isn't "cheerleading" is by handwaving away the people caught up in the middle of the conflict as jihadist supporters, and everyone who is fighting against Assad as a terrorist. By over-simplifying the conflict as nothing but bad people fighting bad people, where innocent people hang out and twiddle their thumbs until they are killed in airstrikes or executed by jihadists, and the millions upon millions of people who have fled the country don't have opinions or thoughts of their own, but are just standing by in refugee jihadist recruiting camps waiting for orders. All you do is discredit these peoples existence to try and create some false equivalency between the crimes of the regime and the crimes of ~everyone else~.

The rate at which people are imprisoned on flimsy pretense and thrown into torture camps, then tossed in mass graves, and the incessant bombing on residential areas with conventional and chemical weapons, kills more and destroys more lives than any bumfuck jihadists could ever hope to. They've spent years trying to overrun a few thousand Kurds in the north, and they can't even pull that off, but of course they're propped by governments all around the world and are unanimously supported in rebel-held Syria to the point that they completely dominate the narrative in American news. :jerkbag: You sit there and preach about propaganda, but you eat up all the desperate clinging to half truths and small sample sized atrocities committed by ISIS and JaN your sources (which you've never posted except for a reddit comments section just now) are spewing without even realizing how conveniently it all fits in with the Russian/Syrian narrative that they've been pushing since before jihadists even started flowing in from Iraq. RT and SANA don't have anywhere near the resources as a bunch of bakers tweeting at each other carrying ziploc bags as ammo pouches. Lol that Brown Moses is somehow responsible for people watching a conflict where a madman massacres so many people indiscriminately just to maintain control of the country, while so many countries turn their back that the victims have to turn to loving al qaeda for help, and feeling basic human empathy and a desire to do something. Not that anyone signing up with ISIS or JaN gives a poo poo about any of that stuff anyways. You're seriously dumb as gently caress dude. I wish you were a troll just because it's a sad thought realizing that you have to live every day with yourself.

• Locked thread