Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
ToolBoks has a character editor but that's in a very early stage and barely functional (I think it just loads the first character in a save and that's it). I know there are cheatengine tables which allow soldier editing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Any programmers here? I need help trying to understand something. I found, at the 2K Forums, the code for the chance to find a psionic soldier:

if(IsOptionEnabled(14))
{
iChance = int(float(iTraineeWill) / class'XGTacticalGameCore'.default.SW_RARE_PSI);
iChance /= float(1 + BARRACKS().GetNumPsiSoldiers());
}
else
{
iChance = int(float(iTraineeWill) / class'XGTacticalGameCore'.default.PSI_GIFT_CHANCE);
iTraineeRank = arrCandidates.Find(kSoldier);

if(iTraineeRank >= 0 && (iTraineeRank < 6))
{
iChance += Max(0, 75 - iTraineeRank * 20 - iGiftedSix * 40);
}
}
return Roll(iChance);

It's from: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?163411-Probability-of-Psionic-potential

There they translate the second part of the code, but I wanted to understand the first part, before the ELSE, because there is the explanation for the probabilities of getting a psionic soldier with "More Than Human" enabled (IsOptionEnabled(14)). I'm playing a game with that Second Wave option and MAN! It is indeed EXTREMELY rare! Can anyone explain just how rare it is? Is it possible to infer from that piece of code there?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

The only thing that seems relevant is the second part of the code here:
code:
This basically says that the more soliders you have in your barracks wit Psi capabilities, the less of a chance you get (as its dividing by that number). I can't tell you specifics without numbers, though. It looks like iChance (the % chance for them being psi) would be divided by the number of psionics in your Barracks + 1. If you have 0, then it'll divide your chance by 1 (No change). From there on out, divides by 2, then 3, then 4, so on and so forth.

The portion above it seems just the standard psi. If you mess with the "1 +", you could change how often you get psi soldiers.

I don't know if BARRACKS().GetNumPsiSoliders() includes retired/dead ones, though.

Editing: Clarification

Edit 2: Looking at that, I wonder if that means that the Iron Will promotion means you'll get more psionics. Is Iron Will promotion in the Officer Training School retroactive?

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 2, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It takes the will of the trainee, divides it by a constant (SW_RARE_PSI), then takes the result of that, and divides it by (1+number of psionics)

Not really possible to infer exactly how rare it is without knowing what SW_RARE_PSI, but your odds of geting your second psionic is half of what it took to get your first, and your third is a third of what it took to get the first.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TalonDemonKing posted:

The only thing that seems relevant is the second part of the code here:
code:
This basically says that the more soliders you have in your barracks wit Psi capabilities, the less of a chance you get (as its dividing by that number). I can't tell you specifics without numbers, though. It looks like iChance (the % chance for them being psi) would be divided by the number of psionics in your Barracks + 1. If you have 0, then it'll divide your chance by 1 (No change). From there on out, divides by 2, then 3, then 4, so on and so forth.

The portion above it seems just the standard psi. If you mess with the "1 +", you could change how often you get psi soldiers.

I don't know if BARRACKS().GetNumPsiSoliders() includes retired/dead ones, though.

Editing: Clarification

It doesn't include dead ones. Those are in the Memorial.

This code is obtaining the base chance by taking the trainee's Will, and dividing it by the base, unchanging base chance for psionics. It then further divides it by the number of psionic soldiers you currently have. /= is shorthand. The following two statements are identical:

Foo = Foo / Bar
Foo /= Bar

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

So, as I feared, without knowing the values of the constants, it's impossible to infer how hard it is to get a psionic soldier with Second Wave on?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Andre Banzai posted:

So, as I feared, without knowing the values of the constants, it's impossible to infer how hard it is to get a psionic soldier with Second Wave on?

Indeed. You won't get a hard number without knowing the constant, and the exact chance that each soldier will be psionic will still be affected by how big that soldier's Will stat (extra will from OTS upgrade included, which isn't retroactive) is at the time you put them in for psi screening

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?
When you see class'XGTacticalGameCore'.default.XXX, that is retrieving the class default value for a variable. In XCom's case, many of these are set by config vars (INI file settings). The values for those variables is in the DefaultGameCore.ini: PSI_GIFT_CHANCE=4, SW_RARE_PSI=8

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Henry Scorpio posted:

When you see class'XGTacticalGameCore'.default.XXX, that is retrieving the class default value for a variable. In XCom's case, many of these are set by config vars (INI file settings). The values for those variables is in the DefaultGameCore.ini: PSI_GIFT_CHANCE=4, SW_RARE_PSI=8

Hhhmm half the chance! Very nice, thanks!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I think I've hit some kind of bug. I am on the mission where you meet the Ethereal for the first time. I open the door to the room where the 2 mutons and the Ethereal is. The guy then proceeds to mind control one of my soldiers, after that nobody can hit anything. The enemies can't hit me, he can't mind control me. The only thing that seems to do damage are explosions, but I only have 1 rocket left and no grenades. Has anyone experienced this before, is there a fix or am I totally boned?

I did enter the ship from the behind, is there some kind of trigger that I need to hit for this mission to work correctly?

Edit: It seems to be totally broken, I have killed 5 units this mission, then there are the 3 units inside that room. That means there must be more enemies left to spawn outside the ship but I just ran around the map without anything spawning. Has anyone seen this before, is there any fix?

Edit again: seems a couple of game restarts and reloads fixed the problem. Could have stunned that piece of poo poo but I just wanted the mission done with, time to murder some more aliens.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 2, 2013

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Andre Banzai posted:

Hhhmm half the chance! Very nice, thanks!
Ignoring the extra bonus for I Don't Know What, yes. For the first guy anyway. Chance of a second psionic is a quarter of the default. A third is 1/6th etc etc.

Okay, two questions here:

Andre Banzai posted:

iChance = int(float(iTraineeWill) / class'XGTacticalGameCore'.default.PSI_GIFT_CHANCE);
iTraineeRank = arrCandidates.Find(kSoldier);

if(iTraineeRank >= 0 && (iTraineeRank < 6))
{
iChance += Max(0, 75 - iTraineeRank * 20 - iGiftedSix * 40);
}
is TraineeRank the unit's rank? Are your soldiers less likely to be gifted the higher-ranking they are?

Andre Banzai posted:

iChance = int
iChance /= float
What?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

iChance is probably a float and they just wanted to use integer division for that first statement.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

MechPlasma posted:

is TraineeRank the unit's rank? Are your soldiers less likely to be gifted the higher-ranking they are?

It looks that way. Or maybe they did something weird and inverted the ranking scale? I.e. rank 0 = Colonel, rank 5 = rookie?

Emong posted:

iChance is probably a float and they just wanted to use integer division for that first statement.

I don't really work in strongly-typed languages (I'm a web developer) - and for that matter I don't even know what language we're looking at here - but isn't it kind of a convention in some programming styles to preface variable names with a letter indicating type? So iChance would be an int, fChance would be a float, etc. FWIW, presumably 'float(1 + BARRACKS().GetNumPsiSoldiers())' would always return an integer value anyway, regardless of how it's being cast....

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 3, 2013

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
My bet, it was originally something other than the number of psi soldiers there and nobody caught the unneeded cast since it worked.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Supraluminal posted:

but isn't it kind of a convention in some programming styles to preface variable names with a letter indicating type? So iChance would be an int, fChance would be a float, etc.

This skirts close to being a near religious argument depending on who you talk to.
So lets just go with, it depends on the codebase and who you're working with.

In any case, this code is likely decompiled.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Calling it. It's going to be a rogue organization where you fight highly trained soldiers who are probably misguided or cultists. Enemy Within.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Calling it. It's going to be a rogue organization where you fight highly trained soldiers who are probably misguided or cultists. Enemy Within.

That's not really XCOM then =(

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Early-bird cameo for the Cult of Sirius, perhaps?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'd really like it if they don't immediately dump everything humanity achieved under your watch in the first game. The Uber Etheral said there was something else out there, something that regarded even the Etherals as unworthy failures. Throw us against that, where we need the Titan armor and plasma guns and psychic powers just to have a foot in the door.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

CapnAndy posted:

I'd really like it if they don't immediately dump everything humanity achieved under your watch in the first game. The Uber Etheral said there was something else out there, something that regarded even the Etherals as unworthy failures. Throw us against that, where we need the Titan armor and plasma guns and psychic powers just to have a foot in the door.

Like, say, Cthulhu? And the creatures under his tentacles that have utterly free reign over 7/10's of the world's surface with no decent way to combat them?

Seriously, we've had an international space station up for yonks, but no so much as a sniff of an underwater research station of the same scale.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

CapnAndy posted:

Keep in mind that if this is TFTD (oh god please be true :ohdear: ), then that door is a five foot thick steel vault door that has already crushed your foot 100 times. Oh and lobstermen spawned behind you, you are out of cover because your mangled foot is caught in the door and they seem tickled by your panicked plasma fire.

You had a good metaphor it just needed touching up.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've got a question about the Implassic mod; does it increase the chance of aliens using grenades? I'm playing my second C/I run, but the aliens seem to almost never throw them, if you don't do something stupid like bunching up your guys. I remember reading that the aliens are supposed to be more grenade happy on impossible, can someone confirm that?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hannibal Rex posted:

I've got a question about the Implassic mod; does it increase the chance of aliens using grenades? I'm playing my second C/I run, but the aliens seem to almost never throw them, if you don't do something stupid like bunching up your guys. I remember reading that the aliens are supposed to be more grenade happy on impossible, can someone confirm that?

All Implassic does it make Impossible difficulty use classic stats. I've never seen them throw more or less grenades depending on the difficulty myself.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

I believe Classic and Impossible use the same AI. But yes, the AI normally prefers shooting over grenading unless the odds of hitting are particularly low (usually requires smoke grenades) or if they can get multiple targets.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Brainamp posted:

All Implassic does it make Impossible difficulty use classic stats. I've never seen them throw more or less grenades depending on the difficulty myself.
I think they do use more grenades on higher difficulty. There is a value in GameCore called "AlienGrenadeSlider" which has values of [.25, .25, 1, 10] for the difficulty levels. I think that just goes into a formula that still evaluates based on how many soldiers they can hit with one grenade, because even in Impossible they don't throw grenades all the time if you keep your dudes spread (aliens don't know about destructible cover).

Since all Impclassic does is lower alien stats (HP, aim, etc) to their Classic values, that setting is likely not altered.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

I thought I'd fire this up after a hiatus of 8 months or so and uh, I can't run the game without crashing within the first minute. Anyone have any suggestions besides "update your drivers" and "verify the game cache through steam?" I've already done all the usual things, my drivers are all up to date and the game is excluded from ffdshow - the game install itself is completely stock, no tweaks whatsoever. I know people were having issues with Realtek sound, mine's already disabled - I have a USB DAC/Headphone amp that I use as my sound card. My machine is otherwise stable, hell, everything runs fine except XCOM.

All of the crashes end like this in the log:

code:
[0066.23] Log: === Critical error: ===
Fatal error!

Address = 0x262fc94  (filename not found) 
Address = 0x531ff5   (filename not found) [in D:\Steam\Steam_D\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\XComGame.exe]
I do have an 7xxx series ATI card, I suspect they've done virtually no QA with XCOM on these :smith:

o muerte fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Emong posted:

The will is cast to a float, and then divided, and then the result is cast to an int. It's float division here.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just started a second wave game, and I'm wondering if there's any way to tell what the move of a rookie is without taking them on a mission and manually counting?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LLSix posted:

I just started a second wave game, and I'm wondering if there's any way to tell what the move of a rookie is without taking them on a mission and manually counting?

Sadly, nope.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
So I just finished my 5th playthrough and got to try out that In the Zone perk for snipers that I saw some people talking about earlier in this thread. I'd have to say it's pretty drat impressive, and if setup right can do a mean amount of damage. I didn't use it alongside Double Tap so I still have to do that to determine which I find better, but man am I kicking myself for not trying In the Zone sooner.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I hope not, because that sounds rather lame. There are enough games out there where you fight some secret shady organization with more power than it ought to have.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
Possibility: you're fighting the bureaucracy.

That's totally it! XCOM has now gone public, but it turns out the aliens are back again (That one ship was just piloted by an angsty teenager Ethereal and his gang, there's loads more). So now as well as fighting them off, you've now got to deal with lots of red tape and paperwork, while trying to get around all the alien-loving hippy protesters. It's like a difficulty above Impossible!

In a surprise plot twist, it's all deliberate and the council is run by Lobstermen.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

Regardless of difficulty, not doing something stupid like bunching up your guys is your A+++ #1A way to avoid having grenades thrown at you. By the time you start seeing Mutons regularly they'll probably also be toting plasma rifles which have a good chance to hit and generally do more damage than a grenade and if it doesn't hit will probably destroy your cover which is the other big reason to use grenades ever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yureina posted:

There are enough games out there where you fight some secret shady organization with more power than it ought to have.

Thing is, in X-COM, that secret shady organization with more power than it ought to have? That's you.

If it's TFTD 2, maybe the game starts in coastal locations, oil rigs, cruise ships, etc, and you're fighting early amphibious aliens as well as brainwashed/altered residents. Maybe even starting with plasma/titan armor. But you have to develop the technology to start going underwater and either adapt your existing weapons and armor to work underwater or start developing new tech like gauss and sonic weapons. Move from simply responding to enemy attacks in your own environment to taking the offensive in theirs.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Darkhold posted:

The Bureau would be a terrible heir to the XCom franchise.

As a spin-off set in the same world? Sign me up. It looks like it could be really fun. I felt that way when they announced Fallout 3 would be an FPS/RPG hybrid and everyone lost their mind.

The tactical fighting parts of fallout games were never that good anyway, so the transition away from isometric combat seemed smooth. Atleast to me.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Protip: If you're playing Marathon, don't get your singular sniper Gravely Wounded.
Not having a sniper for literally months is pretty lovely.

On the other hand, rolling rolling with three heavies and just blowing the poo poo out of everything can be pretty satisfying. :unsmith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

On the same turn, two cyberdisks mobbed one of my soldiers and a sectopod gets discovered off in the distance.

RNG, you're not even pretending to not be out for blood.

edit: I just killed them all in addition to a squad of mutons in two turns, and that was all the aliens for the mission. That may have been the most successful terror mission ever. :stare: I guess sometimes when you unload all your firepower on a couple targets, everything goes down without a hitch.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 4, 2013

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Just beat the game. Killed off all the hostiles, wondered why the mission didn't end and I realize i have a muton mind controlled. Okay, cool, go wander off and blow yourself up with your grenade. Last thing I see before the cutscene starts? "Col. Vandermeer has panicked!"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I stopped playing for a few months while I went to other games/other stuff. Before I quit, I was exclusively playing Impossible Ironman because it was just the only thing that could give me my fix. Today, with the game freshly reinstalled, I decide to flip it on Classic Ironman instead so I could actually beat the game to refresh my memory.

Was...was it always this easy? I feel like I could just waltz through the missions without a care, firing in the general direction of sectoids and still getting kills while safely ensconced between the impenetrable wall of full cover. Its unbelievable.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Classic isn't hard at all until you start seeing Thin Men, Chryssalids and Mutons. Try playing Implassic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Did you keep playing until thin mans show up? Because gently caress those guys.

• Locked thread