Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

sniper4625 posted:

If we are all making unreasonable demands because A won, then as Chief Minister of the Cabinet, I demand that all Sultans delegate all future power to the Shura, or perhaps some representative body comprised of elected officials from the provinces.
If it's delegated to the Shura, it should be organized into groups of people who especially care about a certain aspect of the nation. One for the military, one for trade, one for buildings, one for religion and one for the provinces, representing not only regional nobles and their concerns, but the will of all the people. That sounds like an efficient model that nothing should go wrong with. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
As the elected minister of Crimea, I demand that the Sultan feeds us to the Russian Bear. We want to get out of this train wreck while we can.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

frankenfreak posted:

If it's delegated to the Shura, it should be organized into groups of people who especially care about a certain aspect of the nation. One for the military, one for trade, one for buildings, one for religion and one for the provinces, representing not only regional nobles and their concerns, but the will of all the people. That sounds like an efficient model that nothing should go wrong with. :v:

I like this man. Let's do that.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

As the elected minister of Crimea, I demand that the Sultan feeds us to the Russian Bear. We want to get out of this train wreck while we can.

As Minister For Pretty Borders, I second this motion.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I told you you missed 2 A votes.

Vindication! Wrap it up, countailure.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

frankenfreak posted:

Ugh, Crete was terrible, and this thread is good. Lets keep it that way.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

frankenfreak posted:

Təsdiqləmə Joe, Minister of Flags and National Symbols

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Mrit posted:

Crete was pretty much the best LP ever. Doesn't mean this one has to be exactly the same, not that anyone was suggesting it should be because it was a joke.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

The Saurus posted:

Crete was pretty much the best LP ever. Doesn't mean this one has to be exactly the same, not that anyone was suggesting it should be because it was a joke.

Crete was infighting and complaining and the gooniest goons that ever existed rolled into one annoying package. Even Wiz's excellent storytelling abilities weren't able to keep my interest over all the white noise.

Edit: But for content(and spelling corrections), I love this LP, and I'm excited to play the eventual Wizmod 2.0.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 13, 2011

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Mrit posted:

Wiz's excellent storytelling abilities weren't able to keep my internet over all the white noise.

I wish you hadn't gotten it back afterwards.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Mrit posted:

Crete was infighting and complaining and the gooniest goons that ever existed rolled into one annoying package. Even Wiz's excellent storytelling abilities weren't able to keep my internet over all the white noise.

Gooniest goons that ever existed? Really?

Really?

Proletarian
Aug 20, 2006

No longer a fuckin newbie

BklynBruzer posted:

Gooniest goons that ever existed? Really?

Really?

Yes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mrit posted:

And there you go, making a post way more terrible than any in the Crete thread.

RP bickering is fun. Serious whining about something in response to a joke is really dumb.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Proletarian posted:

Yes.

Sorry, no. I direct you to LF, ADTRW, E/N, etc.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Eiba posted:

RP bickering is fun. Serious whining about something in response to a joke is really dumb.

This is the best rule to follow. If you want to whine, pick some RP issue so that it's not really awkward and pathetic looking.

Speaking of which, in your face tolerators! First diplomats, next time - Missionaries!

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

The Saurus posted:

This is the best rule to follow. If you want to whine, pick some RP issue so that it's not really awkward and pathetic looking.

Okay.
"Fellow senators, I implore you to..."
No wait, that's horrible also.
Anyways, I will stop the thread disruption.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 13, 2011

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
We're never getting missionaries, ever. Bill of Rights will probably be next, unless we get something better.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

The Saurus posted:

I told you you missed 2 A votes.

Vindication! Wrap it up, countailure.

If this missing votes were from the automatic spreadsheet, I must take all the blame. There were glaring errors in the code that made the error rate shoot through the roof: 6 errors in 226 total votes, or 2,7%. Unacceptable.

The newest new version of the spreadsheet only missed Rutkowski's vote, because he never posted the icon. It also helped identify the 1 vote Sniper missed in his hand count, and corrected the total votes for C.

I'm looking forward to the next session, where you goons will surely find new, weird, unpredicted ways to cast your votes and screw up the automatic counting!

And crete was beautiful :helladid:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Saurus posted:

There is some kind of horrible irony in this statement, mister.

Going by how many people are participating in the voting, this is clearly a more popular approach to the LP forum in general; in the last days of the Crete thread, active participants dwindled to fewer than 50 at the best of times (sometimes far fewer), whereas we currently have over 200 people voting.

In any case there is no point debating whether or not this thread should become an awesome RP-intensive political game, because Wiz has explicitly said it won't be that, more than once. We will occasionally vote as the Shura but that's it. No parties.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Snipee posted:

But why are the lower classes suddenly so angry? Our country is perfectly stable and content right now. There is no urgency. It would make more sense if there are food riots or we just lost a war or if we're overtaxing the subjects or something, but I don't see the radicals showing up while people are still happy. Furthermore, the bourgeoisie have little or no reason to support the rights of the lower classes. If the ruling elite could get away with just ceding rights to the growing merchant class, then they would.

Note: I know that this is moot, but I feel like this is an interesting conversation regardless.

EvanSchenck posted:

This makes a great deal of sense in the context of the time, because at that time in history there were often parallel and sometimes overlapping legal codes and justice systems. This would especially be a problem for Azerbaijan, because it's a heterogeneous state that grants a large degree of autonomy and toleration to minority communities. In that sense the Bill of Rights NI would be less like the Magna Carta and more like a comprehensive legal reform a la Suleiman I Kanuni. The explanation for it wouldn't be that there was a pressing need for it, but just that our current Sultan, with his high administration and diplomacy scores, was the kind of man to do a job that needed doing.

Alternatively, when I asked Wiz about it on IRC, I suggested that perhaps the Bill of Rights would be motivated by fear of the coming struggle with Russia. Only a minority of the population is Shi'a, and with war against the world's preeminent Orthodox power, that could present a real problem. The bill of rights would be something like an official declaration from the Sultan guaranteeing certain civil rights to all his subjects in perpetuity, something Russia isn't giving them, even if they happen to practice the same religion.

EvanSchenck is really on the money here. Truth be told, I'm better acquainted with the Enlightenment and modern history than I am with Medieval/Renaissance, so when I hear Bill of Rights I start thinking of classic liberal revolutions and the like. :sweatdrop: I would maintain that much of my arguments still apply, but only in a couple of centuries.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Going by how many people are participating in the voting, this is clearly a more popular approach to the LP forum in general; in the last days of the Crete thread, active participants dwindled to fewer than 50 at the best of times (sometimes far fewer), whereas we currently have over 200 people voting.

The last days of the crete thread were pretty much unreadably terrible. (edit) So please don't do that to this thread.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

sniper4625 posted:

We're never getting missionaries, ever. Bill of Rights will probably be next, unless we get something better.

Bill of rights is kindof boring though. I'm holding out hope for Azeri-Napoleon who comes along and successfully invades Russia and forges a single nation state. We can have bill of rights then.

Seriously, if we don't integrate the Georgians they are going to be so nationalist in a few centuries, especially with Russia stirring poo poo up and convincing them to rise against us :ohdear:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

sniper4625 posted:

...then as Chief Minister of the Cabinet, I...

I'm sorry, but this will have to be decided with votes. :colbert:

Also Crete was the best by the time of the Second Republic. Everyone that cared just got tired of it by the end.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 13, 2011

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The Saurus posted:

Bill of rights is kindof boring though. I'm holding out hope for Azeri-Napoleon who comes along and successfully invades Russia and forges a single nation state. We can have bill of rights then.

Seriously, if we don't integrate the Georgians they are going to be so nationalist in a few centuries, especially with Russia stirring poo poo up and convincing them to rise against us :ohdear:

The Georgians are probably the least of our worries. They've been under our heel for a good while now, the entire ethnic group is under us and we've a long history with them.

Now the Crimeans are new, we've barely had any contact with them before we conquered them and there's a whole nation of the same ethnic group above them. They are also separated by water, albeit a small amount.

This is why tolerance is very important to our state. And pretty borders.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I'd say the Kurds and Muslim Armenians are the least of our worries, since they have the same religion and wilfully joined our nation. After that I'd go for the Alanians, who we have ruled for longest, the Jews, who don't really have the force behind them to make a successful bid for independence, and then the Georgians.

So what you mean is, the georgians are the second-most of our problems, not the least, after the crimeans. They might be happy now, but beware of the nationalism that tends to happen later in the game and especially in Vicky.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

The Saurus posted:

I'd say the Kurds and Muslim Armenians are the least of our worries, since they have the same religion and wilfully joined our nation. After that I'd go for the Alanians, who we have ruled for longest, the Jews, who don't really have the force behind them to make a successful bid for independence, and then the Georgians.

So what you mean is, the georgians are the second-most of our problems, not the least, after the crimeans. They might be happy now, but beware of the nationalism that tends to happen later in the game and especially in Vicky.

Well, yeah. But I don't consider the others problems. They are our loyal subjects and have never seemed to cause much trouble. I'd be surprised to see them rebel in any force.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Saurus posted:

Bill of Rights isn't boring. Total conversion is boring. Instead of a monolithic Shi'a Azeri state, the religious/cultural rainbow that we have come to represent is more interesting and exciting.

And besides it wouldn't be any sort of Napoleon if he succeeded in invading Russia. :colbert:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Both are boring. Let's just fight and force Wiz to live with something in between those two.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

YF-23 posted:

And besides it wouldn't be any sort of Napoleon if he succeeded in invading Russia. :colbert:

The Azeri version would obviously be superior.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wiz is really, really good at this.

Therefore, there are no boring options.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mrit posted:

Crete was infighting and complaining and the gooniest goons that ever existed rolled into one annoying package. Even Wiz's excellent storytelling abilities weren't able to keep my interest over all the white noise.

Edit: But for content(and spelling corrections), I love this LP, and I'm excited to play the eventual Wizmod 2.0.

As someone who came to the thread late the biggest complaint that I had about Crete was that for a newcomer all of that text was both intimidating and nearly impossible to catch up with. That said, some of the stuff there was really funny, and watching the senators convince themselves that such a pants-on-head retarded idea like the infamous "WALLS ARE USELESS!!!" law was hilarious. And the mythos that built up around a group of childish, forever pointlessly bickering immortals was really great.

So I don't mind a little RPing on this thread, especially since Wiz is handling most of the major decisions and there's not really a chance for us to go full-Crete.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
This is slightly off-topic, but I feel the need to share this hilarity. I was reading the local news and found this headline: Exceptionally clear message for Finland: "Populists!:argh:"

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I must admit that I don't like the RP talk and for that very reason I never wanted Azerbaijan to become a republic so early. I think if this becomes RP heavy I'll just sit out the 'debates' and just vote later on and read the lovely updates by Wiz. You silly Rp'ers won't influence my vote.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

I must admit that I don't like the RP talk and for that very reason I never wanted Azerbaijan to become a republic so early. I think if this becomes RP heavy I'll just sit out the 'debates' and just vote later on and read the lovely updates by Wiz. You silly Rp'ers won't influence my vote.
I've got bad news for you. If you consider Wiz's Azerbaijan to be a country rather than some sort of puzzle in an abstract game, you're already an RPer.

The only difference is degree.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Excitedly checked thread because of 43 new posts. Everyone stop posting until Wiz puts out a new update.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

I've got bad news for you. If you consider Wiz's Azerbaijan to be a country rather than some sort of puzzle in an abstract game, you're already an RPer.

The only difference is degree.

You seem to be inferring rather a lot from a paltry amount of information.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Excitedly checked thread because of 43 new posts. Everyone stop posting until Wiz puts out a new update.

'Kay.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dirt Worshipper posted:

This is why we need to do away with democracy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I hope Wiz has one of his sultans or a revolution or whatever massacre the Shura- then it's replaced with a parliament that we continue to vote in, of course. :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wiz You can Beat Russia I have faith in you.

As Minister of Gold reserves I propose we hire a powerful general since our sultan ain't doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The worse the thread, the more often Wiz updates to give us something else to talk about.

• Locked thread