Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stormgale posted:

It's not just calling the bad guy the flood guys, the Master Chief concern is the next paragraph.

Ohhhh now I know the kind of references you mean I can see them.

Wow. That's... dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Well we know from Blink that self-causative loops are fine. So if The Doctor goes back and stumbles across Adelaide's ancestors or whatever that's fine, at most he'll just "make it happen". Basically as long as you don't screw with the rules time travel to the past shouldn't change the present - anything you've done has "already happened".

The problem comes when you try to change the outcome of an event that you already know the result of, one that you know will change the course of history and majorly warp your own timeline - that creates an actual paradox and causes bad things to happen.
How does the universe know the difference between deliberate attempts to change history that must be stopped and accidental history changes that can just be worked around?

If the Doctor travels back in time and unknowingly meets and interacts with Adelaide's ancestors, it's fine because everything works out as it already would have. If he deliberately travels back and interacts with them to prevent her from being born, time monsters?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

How does the universe know the difference between deliberate attempts to change history that must be stopped and accidental history changes that can just be worked around?

Why wouldn't "the universe" be able to discern intentions, if it has the capability to discern at all?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Ohhhh now I know the kind of references you mean I can see them.

Wow. That's... dense.

I didn't mean to be offensive, biased as I am I only figured it out on a second breakthrough after pointing out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tiggum posted:

If the Doctor travels back in time and unknowingly meets and interacts with Adelaide's ancestors, it's fine because everything works out as it already would have. If he deliberately travels back and interacts with them to prevent her from being born, time monsters?

the thing with time travel is
you cant overthink it
just roll with it and see what happens
and above all try not to do anything retarded

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Hahaha Oxx you fucker

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Stormgale posted:

I didn't mean to be offensive, biased as I am I only figured it out on a second breakthrough after pointing out.

he's a monster, he's just a loving monster, i only knew about it because i'm so used to the syncopation of his writing but he's...he's just evil

what is wrong with you oxx

how can you live with yourself

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

he's a monster, he's just a loving monster, i only knew about it because i'm so used to the syncopation of his writing but he's...he's just evil

what is wrong with you oxx

how can you live with yourself

I dunno about that, he seems like a forerunner to a new wave of referential posting, no need to go rampant over it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

the thing with time travel is
you cant overthink it
just roll with it and see what happens
and above all try not to do anything retarded

Watch out everybody, we got ourselves a some kind of cool kid over here.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Burkion posted:

Watch out everybody, we got ourselves a some kind of cool kid over here.

A real Donny DORKo, am I right?

No, I am not right.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

thexerox123 posted:

Huh?

Oh, you think "The Flood" was the only Halo reference there? There's at least a whole paragraph full of references.

Thanks for dissecting and explaining the joke, that deffo makes it at least 8 times funnier.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Thanks for dissecting and explaining the joke, that deffo makes it at least 8 times funnier.

This except not sarcastically because I only caught master chief and Halo.

I've never played those games.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tiggum posted:

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

Ditto, I also appreciated it. What's the point of being clever if it sails right past a lot of people's heads for not getting the reference?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Smello posted:

Ditto, I also appreciated it. What's the point of being clever if it sails right past a lot of people's heads for not getting the reference?

To feel smarter than everyone. In this case about a bad video game series.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Smello posted:

because he's a monster who thrives on bad puns, that's why

just the worst human being

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

howe_sam posted:

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.

This is a reference/quote from an old spy comedy movie, "Johnny English" where time travel happens. Now everyone who never saw these movies and didn't find it funny before knows it's a reference you don't get, which makes the joke funny somehow.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Prison Warden posted:

This is a reference/quote from an old spy comedy movie, "Johnny English" where time travel happens. Now everyone who never saw these movies and didn't find it funny before knows it's a reference you don't get, which makes the joke funny somehow.

It's Austin Powers you heathen

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Practical Demon posted:

Or maybe he wanted to have a bit of fun when writing a long recap.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Practical Demon posted:

You people are loving ridiculous

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

You're missing next to nothing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Please make the next review an entry in Atrus's journal from the Myst videos games, and include puzzles we have to solve before we can discover what the grade is.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Smello posted:

It's revenge for all of our oblique, sly references to Doctor Who plot points which haven't happened yet.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Bicyclops posted:

Please make the next review an entry in Atrus's journal from the Myst videos games, and include puzzles we have to solve before we can discover what the grade is.

This, but only if it's in genuine Hypercard.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Bicyclops posted:

A real D'ni Darko, am I right?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The Waters of Mars

Overall this episode was rated pretty highly. With only a handful of episodes getting more A's. I really like the episode so I'm glad they were all right.

A
jng2058
idonotlikepeas
Jsor
Random Stranger
Zaggitz
Weird Sandwich
legoman727
One Swell Foop
Regy Rusty
thexerox123
Ohtsam
Rarity
NeuroticLich
Adder Moray

B
BSam
adhuin
Soothing Vapors
Senerio
Xenoborg
Andwhatiseeisme
Sighence
Go RV!

C
M_Gargantua
Evil Sagan
Fucknag

D
FreezingInferno

Which puts the scores to

jng2058 16
Adhuin 17
Senerio 18
ohtsam 18
Soothing Vapors 19
M_Gargantua 19
Rarity 19
Random Stranger 20
Zaggitz 20
one Swell Foop 20
Xenoborg 21
Legoman727 21
Fucknag 21
NeuroticLich 21
Adder Moray 21
idonotlikepeas 22
Evil Sagan 22
FreezingInferno 22
thexerox123 23
Jsor 23
Regy Rusty 24
Go RV 24
Weird Sandwich 25
Andwhatiseeisme 26
Sighence 27
BSam 30

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Soothing Vapors posted:

You people are loving ridiculous

Oxx isn't the only person being sarcastic, man.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thexerox123 posted:

Why wouldn't "the universe" be able to discern intentions, if it has the capability to discern at all?

Why would it be able to discern at all? How could intentions ever make a difference? If I want to break an egg so I drop it on the floor, it falls and breaks. If I'm carrying an egg and accidentally drop it, it falls on the floor and breaks. The universe doesn't care what I wanted.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Why would it be able to discern at all? How could intentions ever make a difference? If I want to break an egg so I drop it on the floor, it falls and breaks. If I'm carrying an egg and accidentally drop it, it falls on the floor and breaks. The universe doesn't care what I wanted.

Because the universe has its aspects embodied physically in the Black/White/Other Guardians. :colbert:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

oh, so this is how rtd means to end his run on doctor who. well, that's...just...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

oh, so this is how rtd means to end his run on doctor who. well, that's...just...

Did you watch both parts already??

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

Well I'll say this for the man, he's consistent!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'll say this for the man, he's consistent!

In an exceedingly broad manner of speaking.

thexerox123 posted:

Just part one. He wants to skip ahead but I'm saying we proceed as usual, writeup for part one before watching part two.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thexerox123 posted:

remember how after i watched the sound of drums i was like "hooray let's watch more who" and then we did a rare double-feature

yeah

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

remember how after i watched the sound of drums i was like "hooray let's watch more who" and then we did a rare double-feature

yeah

That was for Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, chowderhead.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Tiggum posted:

I wish you were accidentally dropped on your head. Or purposefully.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Toxxupation posted:

Yuuuuuup.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Toxxupation posted:

yeah

Just get it over with, like eating broccoli when you are an 8 year old. There will be pudding afterwards.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I have a suspicion that my time on top of the leaderboard is going to be brief. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

That was for Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, chowderhead.

it's almost like i wrote 60 doctor who reviews or somethin

• Locked thread