Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jf2tG7ty0Q

If you really insist, it's totally possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nalin posted:

The closest you will get is the slight jerk that occurs when you see somebody get hit by a bullet. If you see them twitch, you most likely hit them. Watch the bullet's flight path, if you can, and see where it lands. Look for puffs of dirt or blood.
Doesn't mean anything in multiplayer, when the game's desyncing, as it does frequently.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The rifle damage in ArmA3 is is tolerable. The AI's minor reacting to being shot isnt :(

Biggest problem with it being an "Infantry Focused" game IMO.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I always thought the puffs of dirt or blood were a bit larger than they should be, and it's that way beacause they are kind of hitmarkers,

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For whoever liked the T-6A Texan II earlier: it's now been updated to a v1.1 version and a v1.2 version is on the way, the latter of which is shown here, complete with propeller blur and working instruments including a functional AOA indexer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXylCFiJK1I&hd=1

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I didn't even get around to finishing the first part of the campaign but I think I was playing on veteran and it seems like soldiers can just absorb ridiculous amounts of 5.56 rounds. It just feels wrong in an ARMA game to need to keep shooting and shooting someone and all they do is flinch a bit until eventually they meekly drop their head to the ground.

In ARMA2 is pretty much took 2 STANAGs to the chest to kill someone.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

The rifle damage in ArmA3 is is tolerable. The AI's minor reacting to being shot isnt :(

Biggest problem with it being an "Infantry Focused" game IMO.

Yeah, the whole react to being shot in the arm by turning around like terminator and chucking HE rounds at me gets annoying.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Chortles posted:

For whoever liked the T-6A Texan II earlier: it's now been updated to a v1.1 version and a v1.2 version is on the way, the latter of which is shown here, complete with propeller blur and working instruments including a functional AOA indexer:

Seems like they could tone down the prop blur opacity and the canopy reflections a little. Both are pretty intrusive and seem a bit overdone.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I didn't even get around to finishing the first part of the campaign but I think I was playing on veteran and it seems like soldiers can just absorb ridiculous amounts of 5.56 rounds. It just feels wrong in an ARMA game to need to keep shooting and shooting someone and all they do is flinch a bit until eventually they meekly drop their head to the ground.

5.56 is so weak in arma3. I just go with higher calibers now if I can.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Seems like they could tone down the prop blur opacity and the canopy reflections a little. Both are pretty intrusive and seem a bit overdone.
From the modder: "and what do u mean by canopy reflections" "the reflcetions of the sun or environment"

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It has mostly to do with the way armour works in A3. There was no armour mechanic in A2 afaik, there is one in A3 and CSAT have the strongest armour. If you use caf_agressors and plink away at Takistani locals they only need 1 5.56 to keel over.

Aside:

I picked up Insurgency for 15 dollars recently which is best described as a mix of Counterstrike and Arma (it's on the source engine) so this is probably as close to a competitor as Arma has. Despite a commendable effort to remove conventions of other first person shooters fundamental issues endemic to these types of games remain that never occur in Arma. Rounds of gameplay lasting a few minutes force people to camp which in turn encourages ridiculous foresight of where the enemy is likely to be and things like grenade spam and spawn camping. Maps are good by FPS standards, but tiny which seemingly would encourage team play by forcing people together, but actually discourages it because you can be anywhere on the map in 20s and the team and map sizes are so small that real 'support' is unnecessary. Recon is mostly by deduction ie. they're rushing B. There's a suppression mechanic which is simply a blurred screen if a bullet comes near you, but no real sense of being suppressed because the maps are all basically lanes and choke points where you can just move back a bit and be totally safe, with no sensible open areas. There are still plenty of problems on a purely technical level, dead bodies are cleaned up too fast, the weapons are too few and not well balanced, respawns are frequently redundant when victory is already impossible and the classes feel samey because the damage model tries to be realistic. There is no medical attention. Pretty much the only thing that Insurgency does better than Arma is 3D scopes but this is only possible because the source engine is so old that rendering everything twice is trivial for modern PCs. Oh and sounds, it has a better sound model than Arma 3, which you would expect from a twitch shooter anyway. All of this just reminds me why I play Arma rather than any other FPS, and it has been a while since I played a new one, I think MW2? Arma still manages to feel fresh after several years of play in comparison.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 6, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Chortles posted:

From the modder: "and what do u mean by canopy reflections" "the reflcetions of the sun or environment"

This:

Click for big

I feel like you should be able to see through that a bit better. Maybe youtube encoding it making it look more opaque than it is.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Has anyone here had any luck hosting a dedicated server? I downloaded the one through the "tools" menu of steam. I followed some tutorials online and while I (and others) can see my server, I can't connect to it to actually admin it and get a mission going. I get the message "You were kicked off the game", and that's that. Looking at the server console I didn't see any errors, just connection and then disconnect. The server status is at "Creating".

Edit: Fixed, apparently a file didn't download too well and was fixed when I checked the cache.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 6, 2014

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Chortles posted:

I always find it kind of amazing how many of Arma's addons are ports from other games. Like, a very small percentage of addons made for Arma feature original content.

Flaky posted:

It has mostly to do with the way armour works in A3. There was no armour mechanic in A2 afaik, there is one in A3 and CSAT have the strongest armour. If you use caf_agressors and plink away at Takistani locals they only need 1 5.56 to keel over.

Thi isn't quite correct. CSAT uniforms are more bulletproof than those of the other factions, but they don't wear plate carriers, and their uniforms are still less protective than most vests. BLUFOR plate carriers have the most bullet protection in the game. I guess, technically, if you threw a BLUFOR plate carrier over a CSAT uniform, you'd have the best bullet protection possible.

But, yeah, the whole armor implementation was hasty and not very well thought through.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
They need to give me my loving AKM back :mad:

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Does anyone here have a collection of missions on the workshop? I'm interested to see if any goons have made missions beyond the linear/domination ordeals that are ever so popular.

Speaking of which, what are some of everyone's favorite missions?

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

leekster posted:

Does anyone here have a collection of missions on the workshop? I'm interested to see if any goons have made missions beyond the linear/domination ordeals that are ever so popular.

Speaking of which, what are some of everyone's favorite missions?

I've made a couple single player missions.

The first, Trial by Fire, I posted in this thread ages ago. It's changed a bit since, especially the second half which has been expanded. It has been pretty well received and most who play it seem to enjoy it.

The second is Espionage. It's an unusual mission that tries to do a few weird things with the Arma editor. It's heavily story based with a fair bit of reading involved. It's far different from most Arma missions on the workshop. Like Trial by Fire, most seem to like it. It can be buggy because it tries to do things Arma isn't made for, but most seem to get through it without too much trouble. It also has a pretty awesome ending (in my opinion, at least).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It takes six shots. No matter what gun spits them out, 5.56 and 6.65 (Or whatever) both take six shots. Headshots shave off three or something like that. 7.68, the marksmen stuff, take two at the expense of twenty round magazines (Or being pretty hefty machine guns) and it goes from there.

This also means that a lot of secondary guns on vehicles are also extremely useless, because they're usually LMGs firing 6.65. The Marshal in particular is bad because it's cannon does gently caress all damage to infantry and the MG is just as anemic as the people you're rolling with, with the added benefit of exploding the moment a squad with some three AT weapons sees you. Yay.

HMGs still own bones, though, and kill in one or two shots. Which makes the Slammer and Panther (?!) better all around squad level transports then the Marshal in every way. Yaaay.

Snipers one shot anywhere, by the way. I tend to throw a reflex sight on a marksman or sniper rifle and just use that whenever I can.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

The Ferret King posted:

This:

Click for big

I feel like you should be able to see through that a bit better. Maybe youtube encoding it making it look more opaque than it is.

Also from memory, you don't normally get internal cockpit reflections of the exterior, at least not ones that strong, generally it reflects the interior... because you know, reflections reflect light coming from that surface, and any environment reflections generally occur on the outside surface and weakly on the inner.

At least, that's what I've read.. and seen in cockpit videos, not like I've actually flown the things or anything.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Bohemia knows that the damage system and their plate carrier model isn't what it should be. If their website wasn't down I could link to their Operational Report in which they discuss the problems and how they are changing it to be more realistic.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Knowing Bohemia, Arma 3 will probably be getting updates right up until the week before Arma 4 comes out, whenever that ends up being, so I wouldn't worry too much about things being unfixably :dice:. Go find relevant bug reports on the tracker and upvote them, or create one if there isn't. They usually eventually address those.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Whenever anyone complains about poo poo being broken I remember that the AI being jittery at long distances in arma 2 was fixed only months before arma 3 came out. They'll be supporting it for a long time, don't worry.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Mederlock posted:

Hahaha hitmarkers, really? Anyways, the closest you're going to get to battlefield in this game is tacbf, and even it doesn't do anything to tune down Arma's 'realism'. Its just a system thats a bit of an analogue to some of BF2's gamemodes that makes it easy to have a fast paced objective oriented match with a good balance of roles/kits, neat scripted features, without having to do all the mission making and scripting work yourself for each new match.

Hahaha yes hitmarkers really. Seriously though, I don't want Arma to be like Battlefield or CoD, I'm slowly coming round to the idea that I actually enjoy Arma's style of gameplay much more than those other games. I just like a little bit of (granted, unrealistic) feedback.

hailthefish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jf2tG7ty0Q

If you really insist, it's totally possible.

Neat, thank you!

Nalin posted:

The closest you will get is the slight jerk that occurs when you see somebody get hit by a bullet. If you see them twitch, you most likely hit them. Watch the bullet's flight path, if you can, and see where it lands. Look for puffs of dirt or blood.

ethanol posted:

Nope, no hitmarkers. Just keep shooting until they don't shoot back

Thank you both. I'm sure the more I play the quicker I'll get used to picking up on the ways the games is telling me I've hit something. Perhaps a reliance on hitmarkers would be more of a hinderance than a help in the long run.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
They did stop ArmA1 development maybe a year or two into ArmA2 development. Probably will see the same here.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
There's already accusations of BI trying to force Arma 3 onto people by having gone two years without a 'stable patch of Arma 2: OA to v1.63, and others plain accusing its beta patches of being broke.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
TBH ArmA3 is drastically better than ArmA2 engine wise. I don't think I could go back to the clunkiness and poor performance of ArmA2.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I see people bitch about how they never optimise and blah blah blah. Yeah the game can be frustratingly laggy at times and unlike many modern games seems to be mostly CPU and HDD speed bound rather than GPU. However now that we've got the old maps in A3 it just really highlights the huge improvements they've made. Not only do the maps straight up look better (lighting, water, clouds etc), but they run so much nicer.

The big problem, and this is a weird problem, is for every inch of performance they gain, they then make the map bigger and better and until they're back at square one.

They really loving need to update the scroll menu concept though. It's loving 2014 and that poo poo is clunky as hell.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Shanakin posted:

The big problem, and this is a weird problem, is for every inch of performance they gain, they then make the map bigger and better and until they're back at square one.
This... is probably due to someone at BI (not even going to throw a Scientific Wild-rear end Guess out there) with creative control mandating map scale as "what's different about Arma 3" early on in its development. (I admittedly suspect that similar was responsible for the underwater development.)

Shanakin posted:

They really loving need to update the scroll menu concept though. It's loving 2014 and that poo poo is clunky as hell.
There was some mention in 2012 of intent to revise the UI, but I'm certain that during the winter of 2012 (a breakdown? a collapse? a delay?) the decision was made to scrap that.

alr
May 14, 2009
I'd be fine (well, happier, it'd still be poo poo) with the scroll menu if it was possible to remove the weapon switching options and just have select primary/secondary/launcher as keys 1-3. Get the GP off the fire selector and let me switch weapons when moving while we're at it and I think overall I'd be a lot happier with infantry stuff with the game.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

That's true. Moving weapon swaps off the menu and having a proper universal interact key (open/close doors whatever) would go a long loving way to making it not poo poo.

Also whoever thought up the default grenade selection hotkeys is a sadist.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Shanakin posted:

I see people bitch about how they never optimise and blah blah blah. Yeah the game can be frustratingly laggy at times and unlike many modern games seems to be mostly CPU and HDD speed bound rather than GPU. However now that we've got the old maps in A3 it just really highlights the huge improvements they've made. Not only do the maps straight up look better (lighting, water, clouds etc), but they run so much nicer.

Yeah, now I have to download like 25 gigs of code to experience poo poo AI. Huge improvement

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

25GB of art assets actually. It's still a lovely situation but it's mostly just misdirected rage.

Also you can experience poo poo players on the maps too!

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
I know that the file size is almost completely art assets. That's the joke. It's not misdirected to say "stop trying to make your military simulator look prettier and actually make it a loving simulator."

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Oh well I didn't realise you were essentially agreeing with me then. It's a bit too late I suppose now to say "Make it look nicer but maybe leave some of those improvement gains in place" but that's really the source of the problem.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bohemia has always been a bit of.... graphic whores.

They always pushed the graphics in each sequel, upping the requirements and leaving lots of parts of the core gameplay the same. Even in the preview videos they always say "look how pretty is the game blah blah blah", while they still have the same action list from 2001 and still we don't have bipods for weapons.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
The godawful interface is something that everyone has been complaining about since ofp. I may be misremembering but I'm sure it was one of the things they said they had completely overhauled in that very early presentation video they did a couple of years ago. Surprise surprise that was a lie, they probably would have fixed it if it was easy but it's probably connected balls deep to some legacy code that can never be changed because the whole thing will cave in on itself.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CommonTerry posted:

I know that the file size is almost completely art assets. That's the joke. It's not misdirected to say "stop trying to make your military simulator look prettier and actually make it a loving simulator."
Tell me how their art guys, who probably know squat about programming, are supposed to help with that? How about leaving them to make more prettiness?

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Combat Pretzel posted:

Tell me how their art guys, who probably know squat about programming, are supposed to help with that? How about leaving them to make more prettiness?

What? Huh? You took a huge leap of logic there. I know this is a hierarchical company, not 5 indie guys in a basement. I don't... whatever.

The problem is upper-staff's priorities seem to be out of whack. If BI was a reasonable company, they might've dropped a few oh-so-precious artgrammers, and hired some really good/experienced/military-savvy AI programmers to code in some better, more military AI. Like maybe, I dunno, taken a proactive approach towards solving one of the games most criticized aspects, and not just shoving ATV fourwheelers in for no reason? :shrug:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's actually related. They could hire less artists and more programmers. As every company, they have to distribute a budget over departments and choose what's more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Or quite possibly a bunch of planned changes were scrapped when they were deemed to potentially put the game at risk of not meeting a release date and they worked for higher-ups who just chose to eat the PR hit rather than slip the release date? I'd say something about launching without the campaign, but it's unclear how much of the campaign was actually put together at all before the release date...