Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

bull3964 posted:

It was also a great laugh on Sharknado 3. Every light turned red every time someone got eaten.

That is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I just got my first TP-Link Smart Plug for my bedroom lamp, and I think the fact that I can control it with Echo is pretty cool as-is, but:

bull3964 posted:

If you have Hue and watch either 12 Monkeys or The Expanse on Syfy, make sure you download the Syfy Sync app and sync up your lights to the show. It's amazingly immersive. I wish more shows would do it.

It was also a great laugh on Sharknado 3. Every light turned red every time someone got eaten.

:stare:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://youtu.be/y2ocATykfNo

That's for Sharknado 2, but you get the idea.

Sometimes the timing can get a little off, but it works really well for the most part.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's a thing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013DJSKKQ

Not from Amazon I guess but with Alexa.

Ernie McCracken
May 13, 2010
I really want to use Alexa to control things on my PC (specifically, movies/TV shows streaming through my PC to my TV but it would be nice to be able to do other stuff). This turns out to be much more complicated than I thought. The simplest way (???) I have seen thus far is to switch to XBMC for media player, create a custom skill, get a Heroku account, deploy a python app to it, open a port in my firewall for XBMC to accept remote commands and thereby... gain the ability to pause the movie.

But all I _should_ need to do is have Alexa tell my PC that the loving space bar was pressed. Anybody have any alternative ideas on this?

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I have 4 Hue colored lights in my bedroom, then the 2 standard white Hue bulbs that came with the bridge, and then in a frenzy of activity, I replaced every single light in my house that could fit a smart bulb with a GE Link smart bulb (they are very inexpensive, compatible with Hue, and at least in Chicago, they were subsidized when I bought them at Home Depot - $14 per BR30 spotlight).

Only problem is Alexa sometimes has problems if the lighting group has a name with more than 2 syllables, but so far it's lovely.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

metztli posted:

I have 4 Hue colored lights in my bedroom, then the 2 standard white Hue bulbs that came with the bridge, and then in a frenzy of activity, I replaced every single light in my house that could fit a smart bulb with a GE Link smart bulb (they are very inexpensive, compatible with Hue, and at least in Chicago, they were subsidized when I bought them at Home Depot - $14 per BR30 spotlight).

Only problem is Alexa sometimes has problems if the lighting group has a name with more than 2 syllables, but so far it's lovely.

I ended up returning a number of the GE bulbs (same home depot thing). Sometimes they were fine but in other fixtures they got too hot and would stop working for quite awhile until they cooled down. I put Hue bulbs in their place and have had zero problems. Shame because I like saving money.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does anyone know how to select the music quality on Spotify Echo? I really want to put it on 320kbps ("extreme" quality).

Also, in reference to the previous posts, the Hue whites go on sale. A week or two ago they were just $10 each, which is better than the deals I've seen recently on the GE Links, so it's a win win if you can find them on sale.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

What kind of range could you get between a Dot and a bluetooth speaker like the Anker on sale at Amazon today?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

What kind of range could you get between a Dot and a bluetooth speaker like the Anker on sale at Amazon today?

I'd assume Class 2 range, so about 10 meters line-of-sight.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

smackfu posted:

Here's a thing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013DJSKKQ

Not from Amazon I guess but with Alexa.

Great, I had their demo video playing and it added eggs to my shopping list.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

JHVH-1 posted:

Great, I had their demo video playing and it added eggs to my shopping list.

Demo video set a 30 minute timer for me

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Speaking of Alexa responding to tv or videos, has anyone ever noticed what she does when an Amazon Echo commercial comes on? I can see my echo from where I sit watching tv and I noticed that she hears her name in the commercials, the blue ring comes on and then she immediately seems to turn off. I'm wondering if they've taught her how to listen to official commercials and disregard them based on the specific noise pattern in the commercial?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
iOS app now available for $4.99:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lexi-for-alexa-voice-services/id1092933088?mt=8

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Or get Roger for free.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

beerinator posted:

Speaking of Alexa responding to tv or videos, has anyone ever noticed what she does when an Amazon Echo commercial comes on? I can see my echo from where I sit watching tv and I noticed that she hears her name in the commercials, the blue ring comes on and then she immediately seems to turn off. I'm wondering if they've taught her how to listen to official commercials and disregard them based on the specific noise pattern in the commercial?
I have definitely noticed it not waking up many times, so I'm guessing there is some barely audible sound that tells Alexa to ignore the hot word.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wife just gave me one for my birthday.

Very impressive, and fun to play with for the last 5 minutes. I look forward to only using it to time boiling eggs from now on.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eyebeem posted:

Wife just gave me one for my birthday.

Very impressive, and fun to play with for the last 5 minutes. I look forward to only using it to time boiling eggs from now on.

We use it for:

1. Timers
2. Weather
3. Playing talk radio for our dogs when we leave
4. That's about it

I know it does a million other things but these 3 are really the extent of our use. Worth it? Perhaps. It's nice to bark multiple timers when your hands are dirty while cooking.

Hue bulbs would be neat but gently caress dropping hundreds of dollars on light bulbs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

hotsauce posted:

Hue bulbs would be neat but gently caress dropping hundreds of dollars on light bulbs.

Those Hue lights & hub I posted about earlier are down to $44.99

I don't know how many light structures you have but I wired up my kitchen, front room, bedroom and spare room for $80. Beyond the voice aspect, I love how I have them set to slowly fade on when the sun sets and how I can dim them them regardless of what they're plugged into.

They're similar to the Echo where it sounds meh on paper and then you can't imagine going without once you use it every day.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 12, 2016

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What are you using to turn the lights on at dusk?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

smackfu posted:

What are you using to turn the lights on at dusk?

The Hue hub has a built-in scheduler that can do very basic schedules, as well as a command line that can do pretty complex schedules.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

hotsauce posted:

We use it for:

1. Timers
2. Weather
3. Playing talk radio for our dogs when we leave
4. That's about it

I know it does a million other things but these 3 are really the extent of our use. Worth it? Perhaps. It's nice to bark multiple timers when your hands are dirty while cooking.

Walk in from car, "Alexa, play my book," keep going on my audio book. Streaming music (my dot is connected to some nice speakers in the bedroom).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

torgeaux posted:

Walk in from car, "Alexa, play my book," keep going on my audio book. Streaming music (my dot is connected to some nice speakers in the bedroom).

If you don't use it to play books/music, it really is useless. Counterpoint: Four-hour sewing marathon yesterday. Grabbed Alexa, took it to the living room, periodically told it what to play next while I was bent over the sewing machine. If you have a sufficiently elaborate home-audio system combined with Google's voice control, you probably don't need it. I don't have either.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you don't use it to play books/music, it really is useless. Counterpoint: Four-hour sewing marathon yesterday. Grabbed Alexa, took it to the living room, periodically told it what to play next while I was bent over the sewing machine. If you have a sufficiently elaborate home-audio system combined with Google's voice control, you probably don't need it. I don't have either.

It's great for just playing music in the kitchen, or like you said, grabbing it and taking it someplace. The amazon library isn't spotify, but it's really pretty good.

Pro tip: Because Neil Young is Neil Young, he obviously doesn't have songs in the Amazon collection. But if you tell alexa to play neil young, she plays very straight neil young cover songs by a guy with a noticeable speech impediment!

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Ahhhhhhh!! No more devices!!

http://www.recode.net/2016/5/11/11658432/google-chirp-amazon-echo-rival

Re/Code posted:

A product team at Google is working on a hardware device that would integrate Google's search and voice assistant technology, akin to the Amazon Echo, Recode has learned.

Google's device will resemble its OnHub wireless router, according to several sources. We don't know if it has a name yet, but internally the project goes by "Chirp."

Google declined to comment. The Information previously reported that Google was plotting a competing version of Echo, a portable speaker with voice assistant tech.

Sources said the device is unlikely to launch next week at Google's I/O developer conference, but plans are for it to land at some point this year.

We should, however, get a peek at it and its potential next week — voice search and intelligent personal assistance will occupy center stage at the company's splash show, along with virtual reality.

Google has long had voice assistant tech in its Android phones — beckoned by the words "Okay, Google" — that many in the industry see as leading the pack. (People inside Google think so, too.) But it has yet to bake that into the home, a key growing marketing for Google and its rivals. Its OnHub router, released last summer, does not have voice recognition capabilities.

Amazon, on the other hand, has moved headlong into the home with Echo. One analyst estimated that Amazon has sold three million units.

And Echo is collecting the type of data — what consumers search for, listen to and buy, and how they talk to machines — that Google loves. Amazon has long been considered a big threat to Google's core business as web and mobile app users go to the online retailer for product searches.

As we reported earlier, Nest, the connected device company under Google parent Alphabet, had considered building an Echo competitor as well. One reason it did not was concern over how consumers would receive a voice-controlled assistant run by Google.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Amazon has a big network-effect advantage in that I've bought music from Amazon for over twenty years. My music is already in Amazon's library (except for the parts that aren't licensed for streaming), so it takes absolutely no new effort from me. By contrast, I don't think Google Music has much of a user base.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BigFactory posted:

It's great for just playing music in the kitchen, or like you said, grabbing it and taking it someplace. The amazon library isn't spotify, but it's really pretty good.

Pro tip: Because Neil Young is Neil Young, he obviously doesn't have songs in the Amazon collection. But if you tell alexa to play neil young, she plays very straight neil young cover songs by a guy with a noticeable speech impediment!

Also worth mentioning you can put all of your mp3s in Amazon's cloud for $25 a year.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Call Me Charlie posted:

Also worth mentioning you can put all of your mp3s in Amazon's cloud for $25 a year.

Though it can be painful - I had a few issues uploading a large collection (even in smaller chunks) that took calls to Amazon to find out were known issues and still have a bunch of duplicates somehow which I have to delete manually. And the desktop player app kinda blows.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

And Alexa simply cannot cope with "Play Gesualdo Tenebrae", even though the album "Gesualdo: Tenebrae Responsories for Maundy Thursday" is in my Amazon music library. Furthermore, for any piece of classical music, "shuffle" is NOT what you want.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Amazon sucks for compilations. I gave up on using them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there a way for me to let Alexa know I'm a big boy and explicit lyrics are okay? Some of my own songs uploaded to Prime collection when I ask to play them, I get a nice "this item is marked explicit, here's a sample though"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Medullah posted:

Is there a way for me to let Alexa know I'm a big boy and explicit lyrics are okay? Some of my own songs uploaded to Prime collection when I ask to play them, I get a nice "this item is marked explicit, here's a sample though"

Are you sure the song's actually in your library? The only time it should play samples is when it isn't in your library or on Amazon Prime. Check the http://echo.amazon.com/ page to see what it's trying to play.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/13/amazon-programmable-dash-button-iot/

Looks like Amazon is going to make it easy to build that Alexa integrated doorbell myself.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a proper home automation thread? Not to dampen discussion here but some of my questions have nothing to do with Echo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

smackfu posted:

Is there a proper home automation thread? Not to dampen discussion here but some of my questions have nothing to do with Echo.

Yes. It's in this forum and fairly active.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

smackfu posted:

Here you go:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks!

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Amazon's deal of the day is the TP-Link Wifi smart plug for $20 (normally $30 according to 3 x camels). It's listed as being compatible with Echo, so now you can yell at your plug-in lamps and appliances too!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thank you, Clockworkz, I bought the single plug they'd allow me.

Google announced they'd release their Alexa/Siri competitor ... next fall. Bets that it will be not only late, but have a bad UI and be too expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you, Clockworkz, I bought the single plug they'd allow me.

Google announced they'd release their Alexa/Siri competitor ... next fall. Bets that it will be not only late, but have a bad UI and be too expensive?

On the contrary. I'm sure it will be cheap and good, like all Google services, but will persistently listen to everything you say and have a 30 page privacy policy which lets Google profile your voice data on everything from the products you talk about to the moans you make during intercourse.