Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Oh, I can totally say this bit too!

There is a secret in the underwater vault you missed. Might wanna go back if you really want all the Crystal armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Okay so now that that's done,

April Fools! The first fifteen minutes of the video are the actual episode. For those who aren't already aware, the video jump cuts to the party surrounded and beat to death by giant spiders on a loop after that.

Approximately 150 seconds after that, the game audio is dampened and there's about 30 minutes of me playing piano over the spiders. We guessed that two and a half minutes would be just about enough time that people watching the video would assume that there wasn't anything else and the average person would close the video. Then we decided to see whether or not anyone caught it by the time I was done with work.

We, uh, may have gotten a little impatient and started dropping hints earlier than originally planned.

Anyway, I have all of the tracks from the video cut up as separate MP3s and I'll get around to posting them sometime this weekend. I'd like to think that it was a Good Joke.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I bet there was at least one person who pooped their pants at the jump cut to spider in the face.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Olesh posted:

Okay so now that that's done,

April Fools! The first fifteen minutes of the video are the actual episode. For those who aren't already aware, the video jump cuts to the party surrounded and beat to death by giant spiders on a loop after that.

Approximately 150 seconds after that, the game audio is dampened and there's about 30 minutes of me playing piano over the spiders. We guessed that two and a half minutes would be just about enough time that people watching the video would assume that there wasn't anything else and the average person would close the video. Then we decided to see whether or not anyone caught it by the time I was done with work.

We, uh, may have gotten a little impatient and started dropping hints earlier than originally planned.

Anyway, I have all of the tracks from the video cut up as separate MP3s and I'll get around to posting them sometime this weekend. I'd like to think that it was a Good Joke.

I started skipping ahead before you guys posted to make sure there wasn't anything hidden. Glad I did, as the music was nice.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
What can I say, I just didn't want to ruin the surprise :allears:

Thadius posted:

Oh, I can totally say this bit too!

There is a secret in the underwater vault you missed. Might wanna go back if you really want all the Crystal armor.

Fingers crossed to see this then.

Also is energy regeneration a flat rate or a percentage-based rate?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its a flat rate which means it takes ages to recover a lot of energy.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

FrickenMoron posted:

Its a flat rate which means it takes ages to recover a lot of energy.

So perfect to use on LLCowJ, given his already small energy pool.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

So considering where we're going there will be another copy of the Spirit Mirror Amulet, it looks like the best choices for things to take right now would be the stick of Dispell to replace Rizzo's Lightning Orb, and the bracer of energy regeneration, to stick on LL Cow J, who doesn't eat anyways.

...Trust me. You need that stick. You need all the sticks.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Why would we need sticks? We have rocks :smugbert:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Why would we need sticks? We have rocks :smugbert:

Don't you know? It takes sticks and stones to break your bones!

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Olesh posted:

I'd like to think that it was a Good Joke.

Too often people think that April 1st is a good excuse to be lovely assholes on the internet because they think (incorrectly) that that kind of thing is funny. So it's really cool when someone just puts a whole bunch of effort into doing something really nice as a surprise instead. Thanks guys, this was a Good April Fools Thing.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Crigit posted:

Too often people think that April 1st is a good excuse to be lovely assholes on the internet because they think (incorrectly) that that kind of thing is funny. So it's really cool when someone just puts a whole bunch of effort into doing something really nice as a surprise instead. Thanks guys, this was a Good April Fools Thing.

Exactly this. This was one of two april fools things I ran into that didn't piss me off.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Agent, I had a brilliant idea.

When you put The One Ring on a String on, it's like the party member wearing it gained a level.

When Rizzo gains a level, he gains a random stat point.

Could the pair of these things be as broken as I think they are?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Unfortunately not, the One Ring grants stat bonuses as if the wearer was 1 level higher, it doesn't actually raise their level and thus things that occur on level-up do not trigger.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Shoot. The One Ring can do many things, but in the face of the game's code, even it is powerless.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Thadius posted:

Shoot. The One Ring can do many things, but in the face of the game's code, even it is powerless.

The game code is the Master. The Ring obeys the Master completely, yet completing the Master.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This is the average retention from the last video. The blue line represents the % of people watching at a given time.

There are a whole lot of people who missed out on some cool piano music ya nerds.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
That is a weirdly steep fall off at the beginning.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

the JJ posted:

That is a weirdly steep fall off at the beginning.

That always happens. The normal analytics still end up with something like ~50% actually watching the whole video.

Which is really weird since the amount of views each video gets is roughly the same past say the first 1 or 2 episodes. So the audience retention between episodes is really good but people always stop watching videos almost immediately after starting them.

Just for fun here is episode 11

So you can see the same thing happens. :iiam:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
My best guess, and I'm probably wildly off here, is the analytics might consider changing the quality setting as a separate view. I know I find the on-the-fly auto quality adjuster to make the video feel junkier than just manually popping it to 480p(or 720p more often).

Lazy Bear fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 3, 2015

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Or it's a crawler of some kind, who just loads the page for an instant.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Nuramor posted:

Or it's a crawler of some kind, who just loads the page for an instant.

That's a drat lot of crawlers if that's the case.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Agent355 posted:

That always happens. The normal analytics still end up with something like ~50% actually watching the whole video.

Which is really weird since the amount of views each video gets is roughly the same past say the first 1 or 2 episodes. So the audience retention between episodes is really good but people always stop watching videos almost immediately after starting them.

Fairly certain that I am part of the reason for that dramatic falloff. I usually bookmark LP vids when they come out and then watch them when I get a chance.
Since you're linking straight into the YouTubes, the video starts and plays for a moment before I favorite the page and kill the tab.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I can reason a guess, since it's what I do - at the start, pause the video, run Video Downloader, as soon as it's done downloading, close the video (unless some ads still play), watch at my own leisure.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Adding to what the others said, some of the initial drop-off may be from people who had to stop watching (or wanted to re-watch a particular part), then later reloaded the video and skipped ahead to where they last were. I know this happens to me on occasion, as I turn off the computer to go deal with RL business that interrupted my 'tube watching spree. Sometimes I may also load the page, but decide against watching it, for reasons related to length of video and mood.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
if you open a video even with a timestamp (or with Watch Later) it'll start playing from the beginning and then jump to where the timestamp is set.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I think videos also act really funny if they're paused for a long time, like I do.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

psivamp posted:

Fairly certain that I am part of the reason for that dramatic falloff. I usually bookmark LP vids when they come out and then watch them when I get a chance.
Since you're linking straight into the YouTubes, the video starts and plays for a moment before I favorite the page and kill the tab.

I also use third-party services to download the videos from Youtube to watch at my leisure (especially when my internet is being slow). Maybe it's my imagination, but they seem to have less compression artifacts using this method.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also there's the weirdo new auto play feature of Youtube. Which starts a random video.

Now to listen to some sick piano over crotchspiders.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Veloxyll posted:

Also there's the weirdo new auto play feature of Youtube. Which starts a random video.

You can turn that off. Go to the settings button in the bottom right of the video (the gear thing) and the top option is Autoplay. Set that to off.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Huh, on my screen I turn it off somewhere else:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Veloxyll posted:

Now to listen to some sick piano over crotchspiders.

I had that feature skip from part 8 of this lp to part 10 (though in all fairness, I didn't even realize I'd missed a part).

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

I had that feature skip from part 8 of this lp to part 10 (though in all fairness, I didn't even realize I'd missed a part).

It's quintessential Google software engineering that can't recognize that a series of videos, all posted by the same user, with identical names except for an incrementing number, maybe are supposed to be viewed in a particular order, what could that order be

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Youtube likes playing many playlists in reverse order as well, especially if it's the "uploads" playlist.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Youtube autoplay is weird. Some playlists do it automatically and don't give you a choice; others do. Why? Because gently caress it!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Man gently caress that autoplay thing. Left the room one day while watching a video and came back to some ten year old screaming about loving slenderman or something. loving annoying.

Also the piano music was wonderful thank you for it.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Also the piano music was wonderful thank you for it.

Yes, thank you, Olesh. Sorry for my grouchy initial response.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 13 - Youtube

a real episode.

next week I won't be at home so I won't be able to put up a new episode but there shouldn't be an issue getting one up the week after.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
3 Alchs and a Fighter is how I beat hard mode. Keep in mind that while you don't get as many passive bonuses, you do get basically infinite stat ups at a reasonable rate compared to solo alch, which more than makes up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Since the Tundra location came up on the video again I thought this could be mentioned:

gravestone in cemetary posted:

Pummelface the Stonemason
Born in the frozen tundras of the north.
Lived a long life and died on Nex.

(Posting mid video just to see if this is some sort of particularly long con)

• Locked thread