Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The signal bounces off the ionosphere after the sun goes down, so generally they turn it way down at night because its a condition of their license

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcasting#Operation

but they also don't always crank the broadcast power up all the way to their license limit until their big listen program are on, and this case it was the rush/hannity/whoever idiot afternoon power block killing the line. normal daytime broadcast power wasn't enough to raise the signal floor until they got on

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ionosphere reflects AM better at night so they have to crank the power down not to step on stations that are not competing during the day

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Am stations use low power at night and raise it during the day. Not sure why, maybe to reduce interference? I suppose signals go further when it's cooler.

My mom used to have a local christian radio station on in the morning and it would magically get clearer at 7am iirc

The ionosphere changes when it's being shielded from the Sun by the Earth and signals propagate farther at night (and during the winter).

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

thanks for being the third person to say this

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Awia posted:

thanks for being the third person to say this

this but unironically, i have to hear things three times before they stick

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

signal propagation, man

ordinarily each of those posts would only be readable by 1/3 of the pos but they go farther in wintertime

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol if you've never been zapped by ringing voltage while toning pairs

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Captain Foo posted:

lol if you've never been zapped by ringing voltage while toning pairs

idk if it was ringing voltage but my bare arm brushed an aerial phone drop with bad dry rot and i got a pretty nasty jolt

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

this couldn't have gone to the states, unless this happened very recently.

area code 470 activated in 2010
471,472 have never been used
area code 473 has been used by Grenada since 1997
area code 474 was initially to be assigned to Saskatchewan in Canada, but instead has never been used
area code 475 was assigned in 2003
476,477 have never been used
478 in 2000
479 in 2002

it would have been 478 as it was an 0845 number, and free dialup isps were still a thing until well into the mid naughties.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

Am stations use low power at night and raise it during the day. Not sure why, maybe to reduce interference? I suppose signals go further when it's cooler.

My mom used to have a local christian radio station on in the morning and it would magically get clearer at 7am iirc

generally, am stations that turn down their power at night are doing that because another station on the same band is close enough that at night there may be interference. and the other station has higher priority for that frequency. so it's a condition of their licensing. most frequently, thi will be some rinky dink local station that's on the same frequency as a clear channel (not the company) AM station on their side of the country. the clear channel station gets absolute priority for their frequency so eg 880 khz WCBS out of NYC gets undisputed access to reception on 880 all over the eastern half of the country and all other 880s have to turn down at night if they pose a risk of interference.

there used to be a lot of am stations that shut down entirely at "night" as a condition of license too, still a couple around but not much.

but separate from all that, sometimes stations turn their signal power down at night simply because it saves them money. power ain't free after all, and often you can still serve your main broadcast area for your advertisers good enough which much lower power at night. nothing to do with avoiding interference, just wanting to have some extra cash

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it would have been 478 as it was an 0845 number, and free dialup isps were still a thing until well into the mid naughties.

well you might as well just say the whole number at this point, being 478 area code and a 45x exchange means it would be somewhere in Macon, GA if it really was an active number.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fishmech posted:

well you might as well just say the whole number at this point, being 478 area code and a 45x exchange means it would be somewhere in Macon, GA if it really was an active number.

what CLLI is that exchange hosted in wikipedia brown :fishmech:

youre slipping man

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fishmech is unironically the best

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

LastInLine posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LastInLine posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

generally, am stations that turn down their power at night are doing that because another station on the same band is close enough that at night there may be interference. and the other station has higher priority for that frequency. so it's a condition of their licensing. most frequently, thi will be some rinky dink local station that's on the same frequency as a clear channel (not the company) AM station on their side of the country. the clear channel station gets absolute priority for their frequency so eg 880 khz WCBS out of NYC gets undisputed access to reception on 880 all over the eastern half of the country and all other 880s have to turn down at night if they pose a risk of interference.

there used to be a lot of am stations that shut down entirely at "night" as a condition of license too, still a couple around but not much.

but separate from all that, sometimes stations turn their signal power down at night simply because it saves them money. power ain't free after all, and often you can still serve your main broadcast area for your advertisers good enough which much lower power at night. nothing to do with avoiding interference, just wanting to have some extra cash

the minor league hockey team there used to be called the Macon Whoopee, and it is to my eternal regret that i never got a souvenir jersey before the team left

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I used to borrow my dad's multiband/shortwave radio and go tuning around to see what I could get at night. used to pick up a few Chicago stations from Calgary.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

iunno, it was over a decade ago and not even at a company i worked at and i'm not spending days on google to score internet points, what would be the point of that?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i'm not spending days on google to score internet points, what would be the point of that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8x_BWv_4gg&t=16s

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
AM is still used by people?? :chanpop: (in before a bunch of new worlders barge in and tell me that is makes perfect sense because)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KARMA! posted:

AM is still used by people?? :chanpop: (in before a bunch of new worlders barge in and tell me that is makes perfect sense because)

it is. its mainly for sports and conservative talk radio where the fidelity of fm isnt needed but the range of am is

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

it is. its mainly for sports and conservative talk radio where the fidelity of fm isnt needed but the range of am is

low-power am licenses are also used a lot in the uk by religious buildings (churches and mosques mostly) in built-up areas so they can transmit the bells/call to prayer to locals without breaking noise-abatement rules

of course a lot of them are moving to fm because it seems like the only place you can find an am receiver is on a cheap car stereo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

KARMA! posted:

never ride in a skilled trades fleet vehicle ever

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

never ride in a skilled trades fleet vehicle ever

one of their reasons i hated going anywhere with my dad driving is that the radio in his car is not only permanently tuned to conservative loudmouths, but it's a distant station so what you hear is BZZZZZZZZZZWHHHHIIIINNNNEEE liberals ZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTT welfare

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KARMA! posted:

in america we even have it digital

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
There's some kind of AM station near me that my computer speakers pick up, and it's hella annoying. They're some decent Klipsch speakers and they didn't used to pick up any signal, but now christian rock quietly mumbles out of them all day. How do I stop this?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
buy actually decent speakers that have effective shielding

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There's some kind of AM station near me that my computer speakers pick up, and it's hella annoying. They're some decent Klipsch speakers and they didn't used to pick up any signal, but now christian rock quietly mumbles out of them all day. How do I stop this?

get a different length audio in cable. if that doesn't work, you're boned.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LastInLine posted:

also there are still parts of the godforsaken wasteland we call rural america that only get AM radio service

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

get a different length audio in cable. if that doesn't work, you're boned.

couldn't it also be coming in on the power line? like especially if it uses and external transformer the low voltage dc line wouldn't self-shield very well

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Kilpsch is okayish and I doubt they skimped so hard as to not do any kind of filtering on the power side of their amp circuit. seems way more likely that its amplified noise coming in on the input

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
their computer speakers are made overseas in a not-great factory. i wouldnt be THAT surprised if some shoddy components had found their way in

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

couldn't it also be coming in on the power line? like especially if it uses and external transformer the low voltage dc line wouldn't self-shield very well

stick a ferrite bead on each set of cords and see which kills it.

at least that worked for the old speakers i had that picked up a spanish religous station

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

get an anti-exorcism

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

The_Franz posted:

one of their reasons i hated going anywhere with my dad driving is that the radio in his car is not only permanently tuned to conservative loudmouths, but it's a distant station so what you hear is BZZZZZZZZZZWHHHHIIIINNNNEEE liberals ZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTT welfare

actually sounds like you're picking the signal up perfectly

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

We are one. But excitingly the FCC is probably going to allow FM translators for AM stations, and the FM translator can be on 24 hours (at which point it's not really a translator per se as we'll have a separate STL so that we can feed it when the AM station is off-air).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

vOv posted:

get an anti-exorcism

agreed: hail satan

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

agreed: hail satan

yes op. this will fix your speakers in jiff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmhOTG0rm5Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westie