Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

spanky69 posted:

No one is bringing up that those holes could have been the work of the kid that was threatening to sabatoge the boat before he got kicked off?

I think they would be using a different set of pots for a different season, like how the Cornelia Marie had to install the escape rings for the Opies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Overdrift posted:

I think they would be using a different set of pots for a different season, like how the Cornelia Marie had to install the escape rings for the Opies.

Crazy man was there for Opies. It is the same season. Jonathan was just up there earlier than the rest.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

ToastyPotato posted:

Crazy man was there for Opies. It is the same season. Jonathan was just up there earlier than the rest.

Why was Jon doing Opies at all? Isn't thst Andy's thing?

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Time Bandit started early, I guess Andy wasn't coming up until after Christmas so John started them going out early.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

Why was Jon doing Opies at all? Isn't thst Andy's thing?

He explained it when they started and I forgot already. I know Andy wasn't on the boat at all for Kings for some reason as well (the past few years he has chilled on the boat for King season even though he wasn't captain.)

spanky69 posted:

Time Bandit started early, I guess Andy wasn't coming up until after Christmas so John started them going out early.

Probably this.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I think they said it was health related. Probably the same reason Jonathan was off for a while, heart/stress related.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah Jon has missed seasons because of heart stuff and back stuff before.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What a mincer. Real men suck it up while telling the camera how tough they are, and how they can't afford to let a bit of pain stop them fishing. And then they have to give up fishing for life because they fished so hard their spine fell off.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

What a mincer. Real men suck it up while telling the camera how tough they are, and how they can't afford to let a bit of pain stop them fishing. And then they have to give up fishing for life because they fished so hard their spine fell off.

RIP boring as gently caress goatee captain.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gazaar posted:

RIP boring as gently caress goatee captain.

Half the boats in the history of the show?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Starting to get tired of Jake's saga. His "sit on the bridge of the Northwestern and whine about how he's going to fail in an effort to maybe talk Sig into talking him out of it" was cute.

Then again, I'm not convinced the opportunity for him on the Saga wasn't some forced Discovery Channel bullshit concocted after Elliot went to rehab..

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Starting to get tired of Jake's saga. His "sit on the bridge of the Northwestern and whine about how he's going to fail in an effort to maybe talk Sig into talking him out of it" was cute.

Then again, I'm not convinced the opportunity for him on the Saga wasn't some forced Discovery Channel bullshit concocted after Elliot went to rehab..
After seeing what happened to/on The Saga during Jake's first episode in charge, maybe he should have stayed on the Northwestern :stare:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 1, 2015

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Crazy Ted posted:

After seeing what happened to/on The Saga during Jake's first episode in charge, maybe he should have stayed on the Northwestern :stare:

600+ pots with single digits legal crab was painful to watch.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Smelly posted:

I don't know enough about fishing but that seemed like some real lovely luck, it's happened to almost every captain on the show.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Smelly posted:

And that was before the mechanical issue. And also before the three-part monster wave that blasted the entire deck at the end of the episode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

He wasn't even at the wheel for the wave right? I like how all of these things going wrong are completely not his fault.

Also, I don't get the crew whining about bad crab pots. They should know better. It's a crap shoot. I mean he was on the crab on his first string ever, it was just bad crab. There is literally no way on Earth anyone could control for that. That being said, opie fishing visually confuses me. I am someone who would probably never come close to winning those "how many ___ are in this jar" type of games because it never seems to be that there are anywhere near as many crab in those pots as they say there are sometimes.

As for the allegations that Discovery had something to do with Jake's getting to captain the Saga? Consider this, for any kind of professional production, the two people and all of the equipment that would have been assigned to cover the Saga would have been booked and contracted ahead of time. Under most normal circumstances, if by some unfortunate event, a shoot is cancelled, production companies are still often forced to pay the entirety or a portion of what the people they hired would have been paid anyway (because they booked them and those people will now have to look for other work after having passed on other jobs). So it makes sense that with the Saga having money dedicated to it for filming already, Discovery might try to pull some strings or at least coerce Elliot into letting Jake run the boat.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah I don't understand why the crew was blaming Jake or Jake was blaming himself for finding juvenile crab.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Is that goddamn Kevin Conroy narrating this Shark Week Special?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought Shark Week was in August.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought Shark Week was in August.
It's a little earlier this year.

Here's the full lineup:

-----------------------------------

Shark Trek
Premieres Sun Jul 5 8/7c
Shark expert Greg Skomal and a team of engineers from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution embark on a mission to find out why great white sightings in Florida are on the rise. It’s the biggest study ever of Atlantic great whites.

Island of the Mega Shark
Premieres Sun Jul 5 9/8c
The quest to photograph the largest great white shark continues as experts Andy Casagrande and Jeff Kurr join forces with Dickie Chivell at Guadalupe Island, Mexico. Theories suggest these mega sharks may come to feed and mate at this great white hot spot.

Monster Mako
Premieres Sun Jul 5 10/9c
A team of marine biologists set out to clock the top speed of the fastest shark in the ocean – the mako. Meanwhile, a second team aims to prove that makos are ambush predators that breach to kill their prey, just like great whites.

Return of the Great White Serial Killer
Premieres Mon Jul 6 9/8c
Since 2008, every two years, in October, shark attacks strike Surf Beach, California. Now as October 2014 closes in, questions remain: will the attacks happen again? Is it the same shark? And, can DNA identify the great white shark responsible?

Alien Sharks: Close Encounters
Premieres Mon Jul 6 10/9c
Deep below the ocean’s surface live some of the strangest marine animals on earth. Now, three expeditions are exploring those depths for sharks that glow in the dark. They are hoping for a close encounter in the strange domain of alien sharks.

Bride of Jaws
Premieres Tue Jul 7 9/8c
At nearly 18 feet and over 3,000 pounds, a record-breaking female great white shark nicknamed "Joan of Shark" roams the waters off Western Australia. Three shark experts follow an extraordinary 4,000-mile migratory path to find and tag her.

Tiburones: Sharks of Cuba
Premieres Tue Jul 7 10/9c
A team of shark researchers head to Cuba to explore the most remote shark habitat in the world. 70 years after the largest great white ever recorded, a 23 ft. Great White named “The Cuban” was caught off the coast, a team of experts search for evidence of a population of large white sharks to prove the story is real.

Super Predator
Premieres Wed Jul 8 9/8c
The search for the predator that ate a 9-foot great white off the coast of Australia takes wildlife filmmaker Dave Riggs into the kill zone—a deep ocean battleground of great whites, killer whales and giant squid.

Ninja Sharks
Premieres Wed Jul 8 10/9c
The ocean is a cruel place—full of predators driven to survive. But at the apex of the food chain are six swift and deadly sharks. These stealthy assassins exploit prey with specialized adaptations, making them the most fearsome predators on the planet.

Shark Planet
Premieres Thu Jul 9 9/8c
From the icy waters of the Arctic Ocean, to the tropical seas of Indonesia, researchers are getting closer to sharks than ever before. Join us on an epic journey around the globe documenting groundbreaking new research into these long misunderstood animals.

Sharks of the Shadowland
Premieres Fri Jul 10 9/8c
Mysterious sharks threaten government divers in remote New Zealand waters. Attack survivor Jenny Oliver and researcher Kina Scollay are on a quest to find out if the mysterious sevengill sharks are targeting divers…and are they hunting in packs?

Shark Clans
Premieres Fri Jul 10 10/9c
Fifty years ago, Rodney Fox barely survived a great white shark attack. Now he is trying to help sharks survive mankind’s increasing pressure upon the oceans. Join Rodney and his team as they study and tag great whites off the coast of South Australia.

Sharksanity 2
Premieres Sat Jul 11 9/8c
We scoured the seas to bring you the greatest moments from Shark Week 2015! Only the closest calls, biggest bites and greatest gadgets made the cut. Then, we’re revealing your top picks for the best moments in Shark Week history.

Shark Island
Premieres Sun Jul 12 8/7c
In a remote corner of the Indian Ocean, Reunion Island has become the most dangerous place on the planet for shark attacks. After 7 deaths in 4 years, locals and scientists are in a race against time to find answers before another fatal encounter.

-----------------------------------

Couple of changes this year. The comedian host for "Shark After Dark" the past couple years (Josh Wolf) has been replaced by horror filmmaker Eli Roth, who will hopefully be less intensely annoying. More importantly, after two years of mockery and negative feedback, they've promised there will be no more awful fake documentaries (Megalodon, Voodoo Shark). The general theme seems to be that, after a ton of backlash over how fake, corny, and cringeworthy the last few Shark Weeks have been (with the stupid attempts at comedy and the guy in the shark suit and the outright lying), they're trying to return to a more serious, informative approach.

Meanwhile, Nat Geo WILD is running their own version, Sharkfest. Most of their programming is recycled Shark Week shows, but they have a couple of premieres tonight.

Shark Alley
Premiering Sunday, July 5, at 8/7c
The great sardine migration is a thousand-mile gauntlet of death, with billions of sardines forming shoals that can be seen from space and by sharks on THE HUNT for an easy meal. It’s the ultimate shark fast food, with bronze whalers, ragged tooths, hammerheads, black tips, tigers and bulls all showing up for the chase. The largest predation event on earth serves up ambush after ambush, climaxing into a colossal feeding frenzy.

United Sharks of America
Premiering Sunday, July 5, at 9/8c
Some of the most beautiful beaches in the United States also feature the highest incidences of shark encounters. Filled with the latest shark facts, United Sharks of America counts down America’s shark hot spots and offers an essential guide to shark activity and avoidance. The leading experts deconstruct shark attacks and provide valuable tips to stay out of their path. Learn about shark hunting techniques, hear from shark attack survivors and get to know the wide variety of shark species that thrive along the coastal U.S.

I was fortunate enough to do some footage with United Sharks of America back in February when Nat Geo came out to film us.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 6, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Where is the Amish Mafia Great White Mega Pond Scum Shark crossover show, where they have crazy antics that involve them not noticing that the horse has been replaced by a shark.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

achillesforever6 posted:

Is that goddamn Kevin Conroy narrating this Shark Week Special?

He's done a couple Shark Weeks before if I recall

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love Alien Sharks, I hope Shark Week goes on forever if it means more Alien Shark specials

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Holy gently caress that isopod leaping onto the gulper shark :catstare:

edit: Oh wow, that poor research assistant girl loving up and losing the shark-- Why would you leave something like that in the final cut? I'm sure I did similar things back in undergrad with way smaller sharks but it wasn't nationally broadcasted. That must be mortifying for her

edit 2: vvvv Your soap opera on boats will be back next week

Hazo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 7, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

gently caress shark week, it has been poo poo for 20 years.

Is Deadliest Catch still on this week?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, Mythbusters is back tonight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you haven't seen Breaking Bad be careful watching tonight's Mythbusters as Vince Gilligan drops a big spoiler for the show's finale.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

muscles like this? posted:

If you haven't seen Breaking Bad be careful watching tonight's Mythbusters as Vince Gilligan drops a big spoiler for the show's finale.

And it's shown right at the start too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that machine gun is scary.

Now do the "Breaking Bad" giant magnet dammit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of crazy how they had to make just the one change for it to actually work.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

If you haven't seen Breaking Bad..

what the gently caress?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love Mythbusters but the irregular scheduling is extremely fail. Give me a massive bluray collection of the seasons, please

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"seasons"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

On Deadliest Catch, why did Josh Harris look like he got hit in the eye after he yelled at his crew? Was that there before he went down there and I didn't notice?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Watching them call blowing a ship out of the water busted made me wish the show pulled in experts more often to give the breakdown. I'm relatively sure Jaime wasn't pulling that stuff about how the surrounding water basically forces all the energy up the explosion up out of his rear end, but at the same time, because they present it as Jaime's extemporaneous musings you don't know if that's actually how the physics work.

Still was a pretty kaboom though, and the machine gun was fantastic, though are all M-60's as finicky as the one they used?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like how the final run confirmed not only that the rig would have worked, but also that it was plausible that Walt would be hit by stray bullets despite diving to the floor. (Is it worth spoiling that if the show didn't bother?)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Watching them call blowing a ship out of the water busted made me wish the show pulled in experts more often to give the breakdown. I'm relatively sure Jaime wasn't pulling that stuff about how the surrounding water basically forces all the energy up the explosion up out of his rear end, but at the same time, because they present it as Jaime's extemporaneous musings you don't know if that's actually how the physics work.

Still was a pretty kaboom though, and the machine gun was fantastic, though are all M-60's as finicky as the one they used?

I think for some stuff they know exactly how it's gonna go down before they do it. They didn't really robustly test the small scale, and they only tried it once full scale based on their half-assed small scale work. Some expert told them it'll never happen in a million years, so no reason to really take a hardcore run at it.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Man I wonder if Jake will even be around next season. Dude seems like he's just going to vanish in a puff of smoke after having his Bering Sea Dad tell him to gently caress off.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gazaar posted:

Man I wonder if Jake will even be around next season. Dude seems like he's just going to vanish in a puff of smoke after having his Bering Sea Dad tell him to gently caress off.
I've completely missed the last two episodes, so what in the world happened now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Jake had some bad luck and pulled strings of blanks. He called Sig on the radio for some advice, and Sig wanted him to fish a specific way in a specific spot (setting strings north-south). Jake set the strings east-west instead, foiling Sig's plan to have Jake act as reconnaissance without telling him. Jake's stated reasoning for setting east-west was due to weather/safety; whether or not he was aware of what Sig actually wanted (and the repercussions of not doing exactly what he said) is up to the viewer I guess.

• Locked thread