Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

horriblePencilist posted:

New Club Nintendo code!

Thanks for a Pokemon White code!

quote:

I noticed that in a lot of my DS-games, the slip with the PIN-code is missing. Is that normal? Am I missing something here?

Only 1st/2nd party games have codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

New Club Nintendo code!

RVF6ZCSJN5SPMN94
It's saying the code is invalid. Unless someone already took it. drat. :saddowns:

quote:

I noticed that in a lot of my DS-games, the slip with the PIN-code is missing. Is that normal? Am I missing something here?
During the DS and Wii in the US, only 1st party games and maybe a few 3rd party games got Club Nintendo codes. It changed around a year after the 3DS came out, where most 3rd parties even got codes as well.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
So I was watching a TotalBiscuit video where he talked about what the Trine 2 devs said about the Wii U eshop, they said it was a great system where they were able to set their own pricing and sales, and updates cost nothing for them to do (ps3 and 360 don't do this) so he speculated that there will be a lot of indie and "premium indie" titles on Wii U. This excites me greatly.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
That's weird, Super Mario 3D Land doesn't have a code.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I really enjoy the fact that I can play TTT2 using the pro controller while the gamepad mirrors the action and my wife watches television.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Emulation is a fickle thing. You'd think it's just a matter of running the software, but the architecture can differ quite nicely.
For reference, the SNES processor runs at 3.6 MHz, but to perfectly emulate the hardware through software, you need at least a 3GHz processor. Most emulation doesn't even try for that and takes massive shortcuts, and the more intricate the system being emulated, the more those shortcuts have to be tailored to a specific game.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I haven't caught up with the thread to see if you did this, but I had to do the same thing. I would have liked to get the eShop promotion, but the other stuff didn't seem like a big deal to me. If you do a lot of digital purchases you're going to need an external harddrive regardless of what model you get.
I decided to just go ahead and open it and I'm glad I did. Three hours blew by playing NSMBU, which is really unusual for me. Normally I sit down to play a game, log about 20 minutes and shut it down.

I'll need to figure out a few more titles but this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Robin357Lazarus
Jul 5, 2008

I picked up a basic Wii U and Nintendo Land on launch day and I'm planning to bring it over to my parents' house for the Thanksgiving weekend. Besides the included GamePad, what controllers will I need to buy for 4 players to play together?

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Techniichan posted:

I picked up a basic Wii U and Nintendo Land on launch day and I'm planning to bring it over to my parents' house for the Thanksgiving weekend. Besides the included GamePad, what controllers will I need to buy for 4 players to play together?

4 Wii Remote Plus controllers at least, not sure if you need nunchucks for anything really.

E: 3 if it's just 4 players total, actually.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
They said on the Giant Bomb stream Metroid needs nunchucks but that's about the only game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wasnt tekken both huge and supposed ta be on the eshop? Wha happen?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

If anyone wants to see 4 hours of Funky Barn Jeff from GiantBomb streamed from his house earlier
http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/341914882
Skip to about 10 min for it to start.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Skunk Ape posted:

4 Wii Remote Plus controllers at least, not sure if you need nunchucks for anything really.

They can be regular Wiimotes for most games. For some reason there were some rumours that Plus would be mandatory, but that isn't true at all.

But if you're buying new remotes, they may as well be Pluses.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Chaltab posted:

For reference, the SNES processor runs at 3.6 MHz, but to perfectly emulate the hardware through software, you need at least a 3GHz processor. Most emulation doesn't even try for that and takes massive shortcuts, and the more intricate the system being emulated, the more those shortcuts have to be tailored to a specific game.

What? In high school my friend had this little handheld emulator system with a 166mhz processor that he overclocked to 333mhz by popping off the back and drawing a line between two connections with a lead pencil - and it played most snes games perfectly!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

treiz01 posted:

What? In high school my friend had this little handheld emulator system with a 166mhz processor that he overclocked to 333mhz by popping off the back and drawing a line between two connections with a lead pencil - and it played most snes games perfectly!

Note what you just said - "most." We're talking running a perfect emulation - you could throw any rom you want at it and have it run without a hitch.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Rirse posted:

I really hope in the future just merge the Wii Mode into the regular mode. I mean if you can use a Wii Mote with the Gamepad, then why deny using it on Wii games?

As stated earlier it's booting into "wii mode" but there's a little more issues with this. Wiis don't have a real os on the system. They're pretty much bootstrapped with a basic ios system but every single game comes with its own copy of ios that is loaded when the game is launched. This is why for example Wii can read SDHC now but Smash Bros still cannot as it uses a way older IOS on it. Considering all the different versions it would be extremely difficult to develop something that patched this on the fly for the Wii U and likely extremely costly.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chaltab posted:

I have been playing emulated SNES games for over a decade, and the emulation was pretty much perfect all the way back in 2001 or so. What the hell needed processing power 3000 times greater than the original processor? :psyduck:

Edit
Huh, I stand corrected

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 22, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Techniichan posted:

Regular Wiimotes will be enough for all but two of the games - Zelda and Metroid both require MotionPlus, and Metroid also requires a Nunchuk.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

treiz01 posted:

Precise emulation requires a moderate amount of hardware. Most emulators run a lot of crazy hacky things to make it operate as well as can be expected.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

treiz01 posted:

Pirated/reverse-engineered hardware is a lot more efficient than what we usually speak of when we talk about brute-force hardware emulation handled purely in software.

A lot of the well known emulators have spent years perfecting subroutines that are patched specifically to handle certain games, because it's way too costly on processing and framerates. Some games need all kinds of magic because of how the audio syncs to the video, or because of how the signal was sent out for pseudo-hires, and it took them forever to get layer sorting worked out for a lot of titles. When you code a real software emulator you need to recreate all the timing and functionality of the original hardware, not just fake the results out which is what something like Snex9x does (which is still rather intensive resource-wise).

Underwhelmed posted:

I have been playing emulated SNES games for over a decade, and the emulation was pretty much perfect all the way back in 2001 or so. What the hell needed processing power 3000 times greater than the original processor? :psyduck:

This is wrong, and only applied to a handful of games that were specifically worked on for years.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Underwhelmed posted:

Just what Rawrbomb said - We're talking about a 1:1 simulation of the hardware here. Emulators use all sorts of tricks to cut that down, it's just not a technical 1:1 emulation anymore.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Rawrbomb posted:

Precise emulation requires a moderate amount of hardware. Most emulators run a lot of crazy hacky things to make it operate as well as can be expected.

I know about this, they frame drop and poo poo like that to approximate.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Here's a rad article by the creator of bsnes, the ultimate in anal retentive SNES emulation technology, on emulation and the shortcuts emulators take.
http://byuu.org/articles/emulation-2/

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

^^^ I was about to go look that up, everybody interested in emulation at all should just read that stuff

treiz01 posted:

I know about this, they frame drop and poo poo like that to approximate.

It's far more intense than just frameskipping. Some games had all kinds of crazy sprite compression that was never truly understood, or used the audio processing in creative ways that made recreations sound hissy or poppy for a decade until a better hardware-software translation was devised.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

treiz01 posted:

"Perfect" in the context of this conversation is about authentically replicating the performance of the original hardware, and not about sheer performance or feature-adding or even how well the games run, which is not necessarily the same thing.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Chronojam posted:

^^^ I was about to go look that up, everybody interested in emulation at all should just read that stuff

It's far more intense than just frameskipping. Some games had all kinds of crazy sprite compression that was never truly understood, or used the audio processing in creative ways that made recreations sound hissy or poppy for a decade until a better hardware-software translation was devised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP32 Hey there we go! That's what it was.

And whatever their methods, I just hope that we see a decent number of legacy titles. I don't often bust out my Nes or Snes and I would definitely like to use the controller as a local portable for doing so.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Here's a rad article by the creator of bsnes, the ultimate in anal retentive SNES emulation technology, on emulation and the shortcuts emulators take.
http://byuu.org/articles/emulation-2/

Wow, that explains a lot. I can't believe the incredible complexities involved.

treiz01 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 22, 2012

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Probably already discussed, but is this seriously sharing game saves across all users? NSMBU allows for three shares for all users? What's the point of having user accounts at all?

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

treiz01 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP32 Hey there we go! That's what it was.

And whatever their methods, I just hope that we see a decent number of legacy titles. I don't often bust out my Nes or Snes and I would definitely like to use the controller as a local portable for doing so.

Wow, that explains a lot. I can't believe the incredible complexities involved.

I remember the immense respect I had for them once they explained how they had to strip the chips in order to read their pathways. That's dedication right there. And truthfully speaking, it's the only way you'll ever see any kind of PS3 or 360 emulation, in the year 2030, when someone actually feels the need to do it.

Probably gonna buy a Wii U next month or January I think. Do the games let you play international players? Anyone enjoying NSMBU with players from Asia?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Smuckles posted:

Probably already discussed, but is this seriously sharing game saves across all users? NSMBU allows for three shares for all users? What's the point of having user accounts at all?

TVii is supposed to store your settings per-user, right? Maybe it's up to the software developer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

skywalker6705 posted:

Probably gonna buy a Wii U next month or January I think. Do the games let you play international players? Anyone enjoying NSMBU with players from Asia?

NSMBU doesn't have online multiplayer, and I think Miiverse for that particular game is region-locked, too.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm itching for some online multiplayer over the holiday break, but can't decide between Sonic Racing or Black Ops 2...

Any goon recommendations? Do more people seem to be playing one or the other? I heard the Blops 2 community was a bit lacking on launch, but dunno if that's still the case, and haven't heard anything about Sonic.

Also, if I just got Mario Kart 7 recently, is Sonic racing gonna feel too similar?

Robin357Lazarus
Jul 5, 2008

Skunk Ape posted:

Supercar Gautier posted:

They can be regular Wiimotes for most games. For some reason there were some rumours that Plus would be mandatory, but that isn't true at all.

But if you're buying new remotes, they may as well be Pluses.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Regular Wiimotes will be enough for all but two of the games - Zelda and Metroid both require MotionPlus, and Metroid also requires a Nunchuk.

Thanks for the replies!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Skunk Ape posted:

I'm itching for some online multiplayer over the holiday break, but can't decide between Sonic Racing or Black Ops 2...

Any goon recommendations? Do more people seem to be playing one or the other? I heard the Blops 2 community was a bit lacking on launch, but dunno if that's still the case, and haven't heard anything about Sonic.

Also, if I just got Mario Kart 7 recently, is Sonic racing gonna feel too similar?

Sonic Racing is great - It's basically Diddy Kong Racing where you change vehicles in real-time a la Mario Kart 7, but all three play really differently so it's not superficial like Mario Kart 7. Plus it's only $40.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Personally, I'm glad the devs didn't cut their time by adding online multiplayer to NSMB; that thing would have been a mess.
Still, a mode where you can play with someone else using the gamepad over the internet would have been hilarious. One guy would try to survive, while the other one would place blocks as inconveniently as possible. I suppose it'd be impossible to clear a level in the later worlds, but still.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Skunk Ape posted:

Right now I'm getting my rear end kicked by the difficulty in Sonic Transformed. So if you think Mario Kart 7 isn't challenging enough, I'd get it. Plus like Artix74 said the price is nice.

So far from all of my Wii U friends they are saying the online on it is lagless regardless of game so that's another selling point but who knows how long that stays true.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Does NSMBU not separate saves by Nintendo ID? My wife made herself an account tonight and all my worlds showed up when she loaded the game.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I just bought one of these on a whim, but really it looks amazing. Scoured ebay to see how much people were flipping them and honestly I'm surprised I'm not seeing anything above $500, it must not be as popular as the Wii?

If I want to get some more controllers, would it be better off buying Wii controllers or even just the Pros?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Disappointing Pie posted:

Does NSMBU not separate saves by Nintendo ID? My wife made herself an account tonight and all my worlds showed up when she loaded the game.

My girlfriend and I just noticed this fifteen minutes ago, too. It's pretty disappointing. :(

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

Judging by the posts in this thread, I would say that is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
After sending my gamepad back to Nintendo it turns out that my Best Buy got 15 more deluxe models in today...I could've kicked myself.

• Locked thread