Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Oberleutnant posted:

Well this is patently false since the Labour party currently has nearly 400,000 members, is still growing, and is approaching being the largest it has ever been. Stop spewing poo poo out of your mouth.
The party is nowhere near being the largest it has ever been - membership during the 50s topped out at over 1 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
TBH I think Corbyn is far too good a person to lead the Labour party.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Noxville posted:

If only these hundreds of thousands of new members could do this. Alas

There have been over 600 new members in my area since Corbyn became leader. As far as I'm aware, only 10 of us have been to any meetings. If their only contribution is the direct debit thats fine, and I imagine more might turn up for a general election, but the lack of anyone new going to help in the local council election says a lot.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Oberleutnant posted:

You've got this all backwards, it was the blairites who needed to get the gently caress out and make their own party instead of doing what they were doing by hijacking an existing party.

Should probably give up on fighting the battles of 25 years ago. Don't want matter whether that should have happened or not, you have to deal with how things are today.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BizarroAzrael posted:

People flocking to the party indicates a bad leader?

unless they get real votes in real marginal districts submitting a form and 3 quid is not indicative of anything but support amongst the faithful. nobody cares about a few hundred thou extra labour members if they dont actually translate into millions of votes

Gonzo McFee posted:

Corbyn's done nothing but compromise, his entire cabinet is a compromise.

thats still not leadership. he made moronic choices for his cabinet and then let them poo poo all over him/have their poo poo dredged up

and re the press barons/media having kingmaking power: they fellated farage all day long and he got zilch, so its clear they have their weaknesses that can be exploited

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

TBH I think Corbyn is far too good a person to lead the Labour party.

yeah he's a nice guy that i'd love to have a chat with at a pub but he's clearly out of his element here (unless he grows a spine and takes charge)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Earlster posted:

6 and 2 3's, both groups seem incompatible and one side should grow a pair and walk. Damage is done now, people see it as a divided party. Plus in attracting so many new members the opponents of Corbyn in the party are on borrowed time.

Party membership has no bearing on its ability to get elected unless you're talking about millions or in marginal constituencies.

Party membership has a huge bearing on a party's electability since campaigns are run on the work of activists and partly paid for by membership dues, on which Labour are far more reliant than the Tories have ever been. 400,000 members are worth (at a minimum) £18m a year to Labour. Unions add a lot more, but that is a significant amount of money.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They didn't fellate Farage. They treated him like America treats Trump. Like a sideshow freak that should be mocked despite openly saying what they have been saying through dogwhistles.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Malcolm XML posted:

unless they get real votes in real marginal districts submitting a form and 3 quid is not indicative of anything but support amongst the faithful. nobody cares about a few hundred thou extra labour members if they dont actually translate into millions of votes

For about the 5th time in the last half hour, they may well translate into votes in marginals, because they will contribute to the ground game in those marginals. It remains to be seen how successfully (though Oldham provides a bit of evidence) but it might well work.

Certainly more likely to work in the favour of actual progressive change than capitulating to the right and losing the next election anyway.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Cerv posted:

Should probably give up on fighting the battles of 25 years ago. Don't want matter whether that should have happened or not, you have to deal with how things are today.

but it gets me likes on twitter!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah he's a nice guy that i'd love to have a chat with at a pub but he's clearly out of his element here (unless he grows a spine and takes charge)

Even the idea of that is getting press time portraying Corbyn as a tyrant.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

but it gets me likes on twitter!

Do you actually have anything coherent to say or do you just get off on smashing random statements together in a cargo cult imitation of human reasoning?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

The party is nowhere near being the largest it has ever been - membership during the 50s topped out at over 1 million.

Ah, I was looking at data that only went back as far as 81 and missed (by skimming) a line that said "living memory". It's a fair cop!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Still far higher than the Conservatives by a country mile.

Also is anybody else watching "Making A Murderer" on Netflix? It's good for your ACAB means.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Malcolm XML posted:

Okay, just let me know when you want to set the goalposts down. Increased membership is still a positive indicator, as was Oldham, and not countered by you speculating on the outcome of a 2020 vote.

Earlster
Jul 28, 2006

So jaded I'm green.

Oberleutnant posted:

Party membership has a huge bearing on a party's electability since campaigns are run on the work of activists and partly paid for by membership dues, on which Labour are far more reliant than the Tories have ever been. 400,000 members are worth (at a minimum) £18m a year to Labour. Unions add a lot more, but that is a significant amount of money.

The money is definitely a bearing but how many of the 400k will be activists come election time bears to be seen. The point is that there are plenty of people who see the figure of 400k and relate this to a sign of a guaranteed win, or overwhelming faith in Corbyn, but although I concede it shows he is definitely inspiring some, he is most definitely repulsing others. Its early doors, I think we will have a better look at him over the referendum.

Is he in or out and what's the labour party's stance on it?

Earlster fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 28, 2015

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

For about the 5th time in the last half hour, they may well translate into votes in marginals, because they will contribute to the ground game in those marginals. It remains to be seen how successfully (though Oldham provides a bit of evidence) but it might well work.

Certainly more likely to work in the favour of actual progressive change than capitulating to the right and losing the next election anyway.

sure and i want a pony but it aint gonna happen if the best corbs has is some sick question time burnz

Gonzo McFee posted:

They didn't fellate Farage. They treated him like America treats Trump. Like a sideshow freak that should be mocked despite openly saying what they have been saying through dogwhistles.

the media loves farage/trump because he's controversial as gently caress and that sells papers and drives page hits

the republican establishment donors hates trump since he doesn't need their money

if they truly hated farage they wouldn't have him above the fold every other day

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

sure and i want a pony but it aint gonna happen if the best corbs has is some sick question time burnz

Are you dizzy from all the circles your argument is going round in?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Earlster posted:

The money is definitely a bearing but how many of the 400k will be activists come election time bears to be seen. The point is that there are plenty of people who see the figure of 400k and relate this to a sign of a guaranteed win, oor overwhelming faith in Corbyn, but although I concede it shows he is definitely inspiring some, he is most definitely repulsing others. Its early doors, I think we will have a better look at him over the referendum.

Is he in or out and what's the labour party's stance on it?

I can tell you without fear of contradiction that the number of activists generated by 400,000 paid members will be more than there would be with zero party members. And no, 400,000 members isn't a herald of a guaranteed win, it's a herald of increased public support despite very difficult circumstances. There is no way that you (or anybody else itt) can twist a rapidly growing party membership into a negative or merely neutral, incidental element that's not relevant to the final analysis of electability.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Okay, just let me know when you want to set the goalposts down. Increased membership is still a positive indicator, as was Oldham, and not countered by you speculating on the outcome of a 2020 vote.
im not saying that oldham wasn't good, it's just that it and a spike in post-election memberships in the labour party are irrelevant unless the leader can turn them into seats in 2020, which requires a strong ground game, which requires planning and development of policies over the next 5 years + coherent messaging to the electorate at large, beyond the membership

corbs is not doing particularly well at the latter 2

Oberleutnant posted:

Do you actually have anything coherent to say or do you just get off on smashing random statements together in a cargo cult imitation of human reasoning?

:ironicat:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Earlster posted:

Unless he changes tac I think he is on course for an unopposed tory govt next time around

Please, tell us more about your fantasy land, where the Tories win every single seat in the Commons.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I know we kid around a lot in here but I seriously think you might be developmentally disabled.

Earlster
Jul 28, 2006

So jaded I'm green.

Oberleutnant posted:

I can tell you without fear of contradiction that the number of activists generated by 400,000 paid members will be more than there would be with zero party members. And no, 400,000 members isn't a herald of a guaranteed win, it's a herald of increased public support despite very difficult circumstances. There is no way that you (or anybody else itt) can twist a rapidly growing party membership into a negative or merely neutral, incidental element that's not relevant to the final analysis of electability.

I'm not trying to twist it, I'm expressing that many people see it as an insurmountable advantage and cite it as proof positive of Corbyn being next PM. Granted most who do seem to live in social media echo chambers and are just a bit detached.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

What is your actual point?

Yes, Corbyn could receive more favourable media portrayal if he changed some of his policies to what the rich media owners want rather than what's beneficial to the people. But if he did that he would lose an awful lot of grassroots support and also not really be worth voting for any more.

Someone said it already, he has a media strategy and it's to ignore any attacks on him. So far I'd characterise it as working reasonably well. Changing that to a policy of engagement is risky and pretty much doomed to failure.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

I know we kid around a lot in here but I seriously think you might be developmentally disabled.

Isn't Malcolm XML a spetic?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Earlster posted:

I'm not trying to twist it, I'm expressing that many people see it as an insurmountable advantage and cite it as proof positive of Corbyn being next PM. Granted most who do seem to live in social media echo chambers and are just a bit detached.

Just learn to accept a bit of positive news. Increased party membership is a positive thing. That doesn't mean Corbyn is going to win. It means that people are responding positively to his leadership and making themselves available to the party machinery. Good, productive work can be done with those people towards improving Labour's chances in the future. And it's support that is based on the most democratic of foundations, rather than selling out your principles to a media oligarch. That's all.

Earlster
Jul 28, 2006

So jaded I'm green.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Please, tell us more about your fantasy land, where the Tories win every single seat in the Commons.

Any party with a large enough majority and a strong whip is pretty much unopposed, you don't have to win every seat to be essentially unopposed. Look at the labour landslide under Blair.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Are you dizzy from all the circles your argument is going round in?

The crux of my argument is that corbs hasn't proved that he can turn his support in the labour leadership election into 2020 votes by having a real ground (and media, old or new) game.

400k members? this is genuinely great. now lets see him keep up that rate of growth over the next 4 years

winning oldham? also genuinely good. now lets see what happens when there isn't a split opposition and it's in a seat that labour hadn't already had a solid majority

but he has shown that he's a weak leader who picks political liabilities to be his shadow cabinet and has no skill at manipulating the media. i dont have much faith.

i understand if this is beyond you, try to keep up

e: to be more explicit: the ideal thing would be to win a tory marginal by-election, decisively

barring that, being able to riposte tory messaging in as many channels as possible and also having a apparatus to disseminate labour messaging

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 28, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there any evidence that those who voted Labour in the Oldham by-election were people who hadn't voted Labour in the general election?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Isn't Malcolm XML a spetic?

No idea. I never really paid attention to him/her until today.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Earlster posted:

I don't think anyone ITT said this at all though. We said it was a good thing, we said it might help, we hope it might lead to a win.

We don't say it's insurmountable or a guarantee, we say it's a positive thing that is happening.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think anyone ITT said this at all though. We said it was a good thing, we said it might help, we hope it might lead to a win.

We don't say it's insurmountable or a guarantee, we say it's a positive thing that is happening.

I don't think it's positive.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

just loving shut up and kiss me you swine

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

The crux of my argument is that corbs hasn't proved that he can turn his support in the labour leadership election into 2020 votes by having a real ground (and media, old or new) game.

400k members? this is genuinely great. now lets see him keep up that rate of growth over the next 4 years

winning oldham? also genuinely good. now lets see what happens when there isn't a split opposition and it's in a seat that labour hadn't already had a solid majority

but he has shown that he's a weak leader who picks political liabilities to be his shadow cabinet and has no skill at manipulating the media. i dont have much faith.

The crux of your argument is that you're literally demanding the impossible.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Why?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Pretty sure when numbers increase the change is in fact positive. Check your maths flaps.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Because I don't want the Tory party to win the general election in 2020 and the longer Corbyn is leader the more certain that outcome is.

lfield
May 10, 2008
Corbyn does something well: this won't translate to general election votes!

Corbyn does something poorly: see, I knew he was poo poo!

5 years away. Good lord.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

The crux of your argument then is that he hasn't proved he can win an election and the only way you'll be satisfied he can is if he in fact does.

By that logic, Gideon is also guaranteed to lose the next election as HE hasn't won one yet either as leader, so which is it? Corbyn losing or Gideon (or whichever other not-a-previous-leader that the Tories end up fielding)? Both of them haven't proved they can turn $tactic into election victory which by your logic means they can't possibly win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lfield
May 10, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Because I don't want the Tory party to win the general election in 2020 and the longer Corbyn is leader the more certain that outcome is.

Who would you pick to lead Labour instead of Corbyn?

• Locked thread