Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Geno posted:

This is my first Halo game I've owned. I pretty much play it solely for the Multiplayer. Is it pretty much mandatory to buy the map packs?

As far as actually accessing and playing MP goes, no, you'll be totally fine.

If you play with goons, though, it's typically poor etiquette to join groups when you don't have the maps, unless you notify them first and they say it isn't a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

So far the only DLC map I've been able to play is Wreckage, 3 times in a row even. I can safely say it is completely rubbish

Skelecock
May 15, 2002
Currently downloading the map pack free of charge through the Marketplace menu option in game. Was marked at 800 Microsoft points via Xbox home screen. Will update if it doesn't let me use the new maps.

Edit: Works just fine, but the DLC on the war games menu is pretty awful.

Skelecock fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 10, 2012

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Downloading it now but while I'm waiting:

Other than the maps and achievements, does it add anything new like armor or emblems? Can you earn the achievements on any map or only the new ones?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Davincie posted:

Yup, maybe only the American marketplace hosed up.

I'm in the UK and I'm currently downloading the pack as I type. I launched Xbox Live Marketplace from within Halo 4 and the Crimson pack had "0" under This Transaction.

And holy gently caress this is taking ages to download, even on a 40mb/s connection.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BrokenKnees posted:

Downloading it now but while I'm waiting:

Other than the maps and achievements, does it add anything new like armor or emblems? Can you earn the achievements on any map or only the new ones?

History would indicate that you can only get achievements on the DLC maps, but I haven't tried on the regular ones yet. I don't think it adds anything else unless you bought the map pass.

After playing a bit I can't say I really care for any of these maps. Harvest is kinda cool I guess.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 10, 2012

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
So do the maps just come up in random rotation like every other map?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I think the servers are just messed up in general right now. I still had seven SPOPS to do and after doing the first one(Ep.2,Ch.3) I got the achievement for playing and completing all of the missions.

Skelecock
May 15, 2002

Nickname Pending posted:

So do the maps just come up in random rotation like every other map?

On the war games menu when you pick your game type there is a new one called "crimson DLC." When I tried it all three maps came up for a vote, with two of them as CTF and one as KotH.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Skelecock posted:

On the war games menu when you pick your game type there is a new one called "crimson DLC." When I tried it all three maps came up for a vote, with two of them as CTF and one as KotH.

Seeing as all of the new achievements have to be got in the DLC playlist I hope it sticks around for awhile, or just gets the new Maps folded into it in February.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Seeing as all of the new achievements have to be got in the DLC playlist I hope it sticks around for awhile, or just gets the new Maps folded into it in February.
Every game I've been playing has been lagging and I've gotten achievements that I didn't even do. "Get a kill while airborne from a man cannon" or something like that. Got that for just playing the game.

The mantis achievements weren't too bad though. I got the ending one just by luck.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hamburlgar posted:

I'm in the UK and I'm currently downloading the pack as I type. I launched Xbox Live Marketplace from within Halo 4 and the Crimson pack had "0" under This Transaction.

And holy gently caress this is taking ages to download, even on a 40mb/s connection.

I'm in Canada, downloaded from the Halo 4 menu and it's moving slowly but surely so far.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I find Harvest to be pretty nice, Shatter isn't too bad, but Wreckage will have to warm up to me.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Cool I'm pretty sure I just hit an unbeatable checkpoint on 'Reclaimer' legendary, The bigger, non-phantom ship arrives and i remember going up a grav lift to assault it and kill the crew. I guess I hung back too long in the gauss hog, cause I got an extra three ghosts and a wraith to fight (i'm guessing they do this to keep you from hanging back and cheesing the game with the turret), except when I spawn at the check point I'm cut off from the hog and left to kill three ghosts and a wraith with a carbine and two rockets. Sweet

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
These maps are all very well calculated and formulated. Only played each one once so far.

I much prefer the design practices 343 is using. Though I wish some of their background wasn't as busy

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Harvest is like Sandtrap and Rat's Nest had a kid. Can't say I'm upset, because it seems to have taken the best parts of each. I just wish it had a bigger Forge pallette. Wreckage is kinda busy, but it looks solid. Shatter will probably be good for BTB. Overall not bad stuff!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

cargo cult posted:

Cool I'm pretty sure I just hit an unbeatable checkpoint on 'Reclaimer' legendary, The bigger, non-phantom ship arrives and i remember going up a grav lift to assault it and kill the crew. I guess I hung back too long in the gauss hog, cause I got an extra three ghosts and a wraith to fight (i'm guessing they do this to keep you from hanging back and cheesing the game with the turret), except when I spawn at the check point I'm cut off from the hog and left to kill three ghosts and a wraith with a carbine and two rockets. Sweet

This is the mammoth level right? My gauss hog was blown off the cliff. If you hang around inside the mammoth and shoot out the doors the ghosts tend to come right up to the aperture which makes gunning them down a bit easier. I had to use an AR for the ghosts and killed wraiths by using a BR to kill the turret gunner and then wildly charging and punching them to death. The front ramp to the mammoth seemed to give me a checkpoint everytime I stepped onto it, which lent itself to a lengthy cheesing process.

e: What makes a Waypoint challenge different from a weekly or monthly challenge?

kecske fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 11, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Every game I've been playing has been lagging and I've gotten achievements that I didn't even do. "Get a kill while airborne from a man cannon" or something like that. Got that for just playing the game.

I got that one for killing someone with the Sticky D mid-jump, I don't think the level even had man cannons.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I like the new maps, but I wish they didn't all feel so similar visually.

I'd love to have one Covenant pallet, or even one Terminal style map that takes place in a developed city.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Baboon Fiesta posted:

This is the mammoth level right? My gauss hog was blown off the cliff. If you hang around inside the mammoth and shoot out the doors the ghosts tend to come right up to the aperture which makes gunning them down a bit easier. I had to use an AR for the ghosts and killed wraiths by using a BR to kill the turret gunner and then wildly charging and punching them to death. The front ramp to the mammoth seemed to give me a checkpoint everytime I stepped onto it, which lent itself to a lengthy cheesing process.

e: What makes a Waypoint challenge different from a weekly or monthly challenge?
Yeah the mammoth level, thanks bro I will probably try out this cheese once I'm willing to play again. I think I killed the ghosts and the wraiths i was supposed to use the GaussHog for with the mammoth turrets, then the game assumed i was trying to cheese with the GaussHog and dropped in reinforcements to get me to move, except the loving gravlift isn't activated on-foot enemies aren't spawning. :nerdrage:

doughboy1013
Apr 4, 2011
Wreckage is disappointing, a little too busy. The other two are ok, nothing exceptional, wouldn't mind a little more open space for some solid 'hog battles. Also would love a smaller map for once. Seriously.

Glad my LE purchase was so worth it with this free map pack business. :allears:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

PriorMarcus posted:

I like the new maps, but I wish they didn't all feel so similar visually.

I'd love to have one Covenant pallet, or even one Terminal style map that takes place in a developed city.

I haven't played all of them enough (played like 10 games, but 7 of them were the same map) but they all do feel like BTB maps. One of them is slightly smaller than the rest and could pass for a Team Slayer map, but this map pack feels like a BTB map pack.

God, I hope it means eventually down the line we get Big Team Infinity Slayer to require this DLC pack and gives way less chances for Ragnarok to actually come up.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
I'm downloading the map pack for 0 MS Points right now. What is even going on. Will I be able to play them?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
The maps are definitely in the Big Team Slayer playlist, and they're way better for 8v8 games!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds
They accidentally released the maps for free for a short period, so possibly yes. Some customer service posts on Twitter indicate that they might not correct that mistake either, so if you got lucky, then you may just have got yourself some DLC for free.

This is causing predictably hilarious levels of rage on the Halo Waypoint forums at the moment, as you can probably imagine.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Oh my god, I bought the season pass earlier today then went into the marketplace in halo 4 and downloaded the free map pack. I assumed this was how season pass people downloaded them but actually I was inadvertently taking advantage of the free map pack bug that everyone else was. I'm guessing there's no way to refund my 2,000 MS points now since it is now cheaper to just buy the next two packs separately. They better be giving season pass buyers some money back or something to compensate.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

People have started bailing out of the Mantis now when it's smoking so that people can't get the killing blow on it. Seems silly to me.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

PriorMarcus posted:

People have started bailing out of the Mantis now when it's smoking so that people can't get the killing blow on it. Seems silly to me.

Smart people have been doing this with all vehicles since halo 2

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Are any of you free map pack people from a non-English speaking country?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Holy poo poo I just got the map pack for free. I was about to give in too and buy the season pass.

WOO HOO!

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

It's not letting me get the maps for free. I'm going to the market place through Halo 4. What am I doing wrong?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Sublimer posted:

It's not letting me get the maps for free. I'm going to the market place through Halo 4. What am I doing wrong?

Thats how I got it. I just pressed ok afterwards and it started downloading. Maybe they fixed it?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The Oid posted:

This is causing predictably hilarious levels of rage on the Halo Waypoint forums at the moment, as you can probably imagine.

People who identify as 'Gamers' are some of the most entitled pieces of poo poo ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Oid posted:

They accidentally released the maps for free for a short period, so possibly yes. Some customer service posts on Twitter indicate that they might not correct that mistake either, so if you got lucky, then you may just have got yourself some DLC for free.

This happened to Forza 4 as well earlier this year, and the levels of angry was pretty high.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Got both the achievement for killing a guy launched from a man cannon, and for meleeing a guy launched from a man cannon. The guy was on the ground and was most certainly not launched from a man cannon.

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

Baboon Fiesta posted:

People who identify as 'Gamers' are some of the most entitled pieces of poo poo ever.

Yeah, generally I just tune out most of what they say these days. If you listened to everything gamers said, you'd be led to believe that every single game released after their childhood is an abomination for some reason or other.

I've still no idea if the Mass Effect 3 thing was a legitimate complaint or not (not having played any games in the series) because 'gamers' are like the boy who cried 'wolf'.

Personally, while I think it'll be nice if those of us who paid for the map pack get something out of it, I really couldn't care less. I'm happy to support a studio that I have a lot of respect for, and I've been having a blast playing the game thus far

The Oid fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 11, 2012

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Nickname Pending posted:

Got both the achievement for killing a guy launched from a man cannon, and for meleeing a guy launched from a man cannon. The guy was on the ground and was most certainly not launched from a man cannon.

Yeah I got both at once for meeleing a guy near a man cannon. Seems they wanted to be sure no one got screwed.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Microsoft person says if you got it for free you keep it since it was their glitch.

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/278254316253507584

Huzzah!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Holy Calamity! posted:

Smart people have been doing this with all vehicles since halo 2
I thought vehicle death was tied to player death in 2? Or was that 3?

In other news, at least two of the achievements are bugged. I dropped off of a ledge on Shatter and punched a man to death ten seconds later. Got Special Delivery and ODST.

edit on another note did 343 still not learn from the whole map-specific achievements thing

this really undermines my faith in them

I still don't have All Alone you pricks

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Necroneocon posted:

Microsoft person says if you got it for free you keep it since it was their glitch.

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/278254316253507584

Huzzah!

It shows up as 800msp in both the dashboard marketplace and through the ingame menus.

No gravy train for me :(

• Locked thread