Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

This whole oil price downturn thing is somewhat amusing to me since I know someone who took an oil industry job. I've been suggesting ever since they got the job that they should go get a financial advisor and put a lot of it away since you never know when the next bust might hit.

Instead they've been all :retrogames: and I'm going to have to resist saying "I told you so" in a few months if this keeps up.

History is so easily forgotten when times are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Number19 posted:

This whole oil price downturn thing is somewhat amusing to me since I know someone who took an oil industry job. I've been suggesting ever since they got the job that they should go get a financial advisor and put a lot of it away since you never know when the next bust might hit.

Instead they've been all :retrogames: and I'm going to have to resist saying "I told you so" in a few months if this keeps up.

History is so easily forgotten when times are good.

"Put as much money as you can away" is pretty good advice for anyone at any point in their life, mind you. Every Canadian would do well to remember that, boom or bust, energy industry or not.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A lethal dose of morphine isn't that expensive though. You shouldn't have to save for very long, even if it is a McJob.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

PT6A posted:

"Put as much money as you can away" is pretty good advice for anyone at any point in their life, mind you. Every Canadian would do well to remember that, boom or bust, energy industry or not.

Oh definitely. In this case they were making way more than their living expenses and instead of putting it away for a rainy day they bought new trucks and hot tubs.

E: also my point of getting an advisor was also important. A lot of people are bad at managing their money and especially bad at managing large amounts of it. Hire someone who is good at it and let them worry about it IMO.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

sliderule posted:

A lethal dose of morphine isn't that expensive though. You shouldn't have to save for very long, even if it is a McJob.

Then why haven't you killed yourself yet? Too useless to save up the money?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kafka Esq. posted:

Whenever I hear this fact, I wonder how it was different back in Liberal days. Does that data exist?

I don't know why our news organisations insist on not presenting data in a useful format, but cobbling together a few sources:

Liberal budgets
2002-2003 111 mil
2003-2004 70 mil
2004-2005 50 mil*
2005-2006 41 mil*

Conservative budgets
2006-2007 87 mil
2007-2008 84 mil
2008-2009 80 mil*
2009-2010 136 mil [Economic Action! Plan]
2010-2011 83 mil*
2011-2012 79 mil
2012-2013 69 mil

*years in which government ad spending was halted for part of the year because of an election

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't know why our news organisations insist on not presenting data in a useful format, but cobbling together a few sources:

Liberal budgets
2002-2003 111 mil
2003-2004 70 mil
2004-2005 50 mil*
2005-2006 41 mil*

Conservative budgets
2006-2007 87 mil
2007-2008 84 mil
2008-2009 80 mil*
2009-2010 136 mil [Economic Action! Plan]
2010-2011 83 mil*
2011-2012 79 mil
2012-2013 69 mil

*years in which government ad spending was halted for part of the year because of an election

Those Action Plan! billboards were made to last, the one down the street that teenagers keep knocking over, drawing on, pissing on, and trying to light on fire is still chugging along! It may take a few days for workers to give a gently caress to put it back up, but by God it's still going strong :canada:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kafka Esq. posted:

Whenever I hear this fact, I wonder how it was different back in Liberal days. Does that data exist?

Well played.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Political Whores posted:

Then why haven't you killed yourself yet? Too useless to save up the money?

I'm not of retirement age yet. Wouldn't want to dip into my savings too early.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Things Canadians don't value: freedom of expression, democracy.

e: Freedom of association too, I forgot that one.

Reince Penis has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Dec 9, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress the beer store

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Ikantski posted:

Well played.
I actually think you're drawing meaning out of that I didn't intend. The Conservatives ARE spending what feels like a lot, but maybe it's not in the context of history. I looked through the report by the Central Advertising Fund and didn't really see an egregious pattern, except maybe that the Cons are advertising a lot of programs that do not exist yet (although most likely will be passed in the next budget).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

A chant heard across Ontario since time immemorial.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

More like gently caress both the Liberal and PC parties.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If only we had a third party :smith:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

If only we had a third party :smith:

If only they were any better when they got in power. It's almost like striving for and achieving power requires a lot of money and a loosening of your values to get that money.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kafka Esq. posted:

I actually think you're drawing meaning out of that I didn't intend. The Conservatives ARE spending what feels like a lot, but maybe it's not in the context of history. I looked through the report by the Central Advertising Fund and didn't really see an egregious pattern, except maybe that the Cons are advertising a lot of programs that do not exist yet (although most likely will be passed in the next budget).

Sorry about that. To be honest though, you really couldn't have worded a facetious reference to the Liberal ad scandal much better than that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just to pile on "Albertans are really dumb" bandwagon:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/dental-decay-rampant-in-calgary-children-pediatric-dentist-says-1.2864413
Cavity rates soaring in Calgary after they removed fluoride.

Also I'm currently arguing with a NDP staffer who says any crack-downs on dangerous driving or even basic enforcement of driving rules is a "serious social justice issue" and the government should never take anyone's license away because what if a single mom can't pick up her kids or get to work? Literally no dangerous driving is too bad to take someone off the road because "social justice issues" and he says instead of enforcement we just need "free education programs" but you can't take them off the road for even a day because what if they get fired??? He's making out anyone who wants higher driver's licensing standards to be a "tough on crime" conservative who wants all poor people fired from their jobs and old people left to die alone because they can't drive to get their medicine.

This dude is like the perfect straw-man caricature of everything people hate or accuse the NDP of doing. And he's actually involved in campaign planning and poo poo...

Baronjutter has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Dec 9, 2014

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's almost as if provincial court judges and JPs need some kind of discretionary power when sentencing people to make sure that they are always working in the best interests of justice as a whole.

quote:

Cavities are a common sight on the Alex Dental Health Bus, said Denise Kokaram who runs the program.

The bus visits schools around the city, helping children from families that can't always afford a trip to a dentist.

“These children are living in pain,” Kokaram said.

Calgary's medical health officer, Dr. Richard Musto, wants the city to have another discussion about adding fluoride to the city's drinking water. (Alex Dental Health Bus)

More than half of the children who get treated on the bus have tooth decay, she said.

Water fluoridation definitely does help children's dental health, but if these are kids' families can't afford dental care then I'm going to guess they can't afford a balanced diet either.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Ikantski posted:

Sorry about that. To be honest though, you really couldn't have worded a facetious reference to the Liberal ad scandal much better than that.
You're right, I could have been going for a Liberal-Tory-Same-Old-Story thing but I legitimately wanted to examine authorized federal spending voted on by our representatives, instead of harkening back to a few million doled out by a crony almost two decades ago. I mean, that's basically the same level as the in-and-out Conservative scheme to defraud taxpayers.

Raising the amount of spending to run hockey game ads about how good your current government is by forty million a year for eight years is a different story.

edit: Source:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Did you miss the post I made earlier :eng99:

2005-2006 was an odd year, because the government did no spending for nearly three months because of the long election.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's still wise to keep in mind that the Sponsorship Scandal was all over $3M in misspent funds. That's not to say that it wasn't corrupt, or that nothing should have been done about it, but still. We spent way more money just figuring out exactly how much had been misspent. In terms of an actual dollar figure, the program itself wasn't that big of a deal.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Don't parents give their kids fluoride drops anymore? Or is that tantamount to child abuse because its not "natural"

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

Don't parents give their kids fluoride drops anymore? Or is that tantamount to child abuse because its not "natural"

No, because reasonable municipalities include fluoride in their water.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cultural Imperial posted:

I've never even heard of these.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

2005-2006 was an odd year, because the government did no spending for nearly three months because of the long election.

quote:

During the 2005-2006 fiscal year, the Government of Canada spent $41.3 million on advertising campaigns and public notices. By comparison, $49.5 million was spent in 2004-2005.

Several factors contributed to this decline. For the second fiscal year in a row, a federal election resulted in the suspension of most government advertising.

The Communications Policy of the Government of Canada states that institutions must suspend their advertising during general elections. Advertising is only permitted when: an institution is required by statute or regulation to issue a public notice for legal purposes; an institution must inform the public of a danger to health, safety or the environment; or an institution must post an employment or staffing notice. Advertising plans and activities must be put on hold until the day the newly elected government is sworn into office.

Consequently, there was minimum advertising from December 2005 through March 2006 when many of the activities were planned. In addition, 2005-2006 was the second year of the three-year plan to reduce media spending by 15 percent annually.
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/pub-adv/rapports-reports/2005-2006/chapitre-chapter-2-eng.html#a

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kafka Esq. posted:

You're right, I could have been going for a Liberal-Tory-Same-Old-Story thing but I legitimately wanted to examine authorized federal spending voted on by our representatives, instead of harkening back to a few million doled out by a crony almost two decades ago. I mean, that's basically the same level as the in-and-out Conservative scheme to defraud taxpayers.

Raising the amount of spending to run hockey game ads about how good your current government is by forty million a year for eight years is a different story.

edit: Source:

Federal Conservatives (using pintmom's figures)

2011-2012 79 mil $2.20 per capita
2012-2013 69 mil $1.90 per capita

If only there were some Liberals currently governing tens of millions of people we could compare that to and make them look like filthy propagandists...

Ontario Provincial Liberals (AGO figures)

2011-2012 34 mil $2.26 per capita
2012-2013 30 mil $2.00 per capita

poo poo.

PittTheElder posted:

It's still wise to keep in mind that the Sponsorship Scandal was all over $3M in misspent funds. That's not to say that it wasn't corrupt, or that nothing should have been done about it, but still. We spent way more money just figuring out exactly how much had been misspent. In terms of an actual dollar figure, the program itself wasn't that big of a deal.

You're like the people defending Mike Duffy but on the other side.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

edit: I can't exactly tell what the 111 million was spent on in 02-03. I think there may have been a huge revamp of the advertising budgeting process.

Kafka Esq. has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Dec 9, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/dental-decay-rampant-in-calgary-children-pediatric-dentist-says-1.2864413

Who couldn't have seen that one coming? Another monumentally loving stupid decision from our city council, all adding to the pile of evidence that everyone on council is literally mentally handicapped. They probably have to hire some poor bastard to clean all the loving drool out of the council chamber after meetings.

I don't know how we arrived at this gaggle of morons, but they sure are impressively stupid.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

The comments section seems to offer proof of the "Albertans are really dumb" trope. Thanks Obama.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Full figures since 02-03 budget.

2012-2013 69.0
2011-2012 78.5
2010-2011 83.3
2009-2010 136.3
2008-2009 79.5

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Baronjutter posted:

I've never even heard of these.

It's a rural thing. Pre and perinatal nurses used to advise parents about the drops if they were on a well.

But with cutbacks we probably don't have those nurses anymore, but we do have dumbshit city officials listening to people in tinfoil hats.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Baudin posted:

Nearly the entirety of Quebec's cities don't despite the provincial government offering funding for municipalities that want to fluoride their water. We're kinda dumb I guess.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Heavy neutrino posted:

Nearly the entirety of Quebec's cities don't despite the provincial government offering funding for municipalities that want to fluoride their water. We're kinda dumb I guess.

What's the tooth decay rate there compared to Calgary?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Baudin posted:

It feels like this will never not be the right answer to questions around water fluoridation.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Water fluoridation definitely does help children's dental health, but if these are kids' families can't afford dental care then I'm going to guess they can't afford a balanced diet either.

Yeah and if we're going to tut-tut over people not paying attention to science, then maybe waiting until the actual study on dental health impacts comes out in the spring would be a good idea rather than relying on anecdotal evidence which is what that article was full of.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Heavy neutrino posted:

I remember in elementary school in Montreal, we used to get fluoride packs, kind of like Capri Sun, we would swish around in our mouths a few times a year. Every single kid hated them because they tasted terrible and we were warned not to swallow any. Every kid, if they had a choice, would have chosen fluoridated tap water.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

I remember in elementary school in Montreal, we used to get fluoride packs, kind of like Capri Sun, we would swish around in our mouths a few times a year. Every single kid hated them because they tasted terrible and we were warned not to swallow any. Every kid, if they had a choice, would have chosen fluoridated tap water.

I grew up in the countryside - this definitely rings a bell.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So how bout those open nominations, guys

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/b-c-sikhs-quit-liberals-to-protest-justin-trudeau-s-star-candidate-1.2866343

quote:

In an embarrassing blow to Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, a large group of Sikh Liberals in British Columbia is quitting the party, saying Trudeau is being "manipulated" by Sikhs under the banner of the World Sikh Organization.

"We think this Liberal Party's been hijacked by the WSO," said Rajinder Singh Bhela, a longtime Liberal and former general secretary of the Ross Street Temple, Vancouver's largest Sikh temple.

"The Liberal Party, especially Justin, is in bed with extremist and fundamental groups. That's why I decided to leave the Liberal Party," said Kashmir Dhaliwal, ex-president of the powerful Khalsa Diwan Society, founded by Sikh pioneers in 1902.

The walkout was provoked by the party's selection of a WSO-backed candidate, Harjit Singh Sajjan, over a prominent businessman, Barj Dhahan. Dhahan is a moderate ally of Ujjal Dosanjh, the previous Liberal MP.

Vancouver South, wrested from the Liberals in 2011 by Conservative Wai Young, is one of several swing ridings the Liberals hope to regain in the next election.

The party-preferred candidate, Sajjan, is a decorated soldier and was a featured speaker at the last Liberal convention. He now stands to win by acclamation after Dhahan was persuaded by the party leadership to withdraw.

Dhahan declined to discuss his reasons with CBC News, except to confirm that he withdrew reluctantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Also just in case anyone had any illusions about our stance on carbon emissions, let me be very clear on this point: http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/harper-and-the-oil-patch-honesty-is-the-only-policy/

quote:

“Frankly, Mr. Speaker, under the current circumstances of the oil and gas sector, it would be crazy, it would be crazy economic policy to do unilateral penalties on that sector. We’re clearly not going to do that,” Harper told the House as Conservative MPs roared their approval. “In fact, nobody in the world is regulating their oil and gas sector. I’d be delighted if they did. Canada will be there with them.”

Paul Wells posted:

So. The feds have been promising oil and gas regulations for seven years, while periodically insisting they could produce no such regulations without U.S. co-operation. They have also refused to seek such co-operation, while refusing to follow up on helpful U.S. unilateral action. (By “helpful,” of course, I mean “action that would seem helpful if anyone felt like constraining the carbon emissions of the oil and gas sector. Like, hypothetically.”)

One more thing. If the price of oil is too low for regulations, this would be a big change from the last seven years, when the Harper government’s argument was that the price of oil was too high for regulations. There is, in the consistent messaging of this government, no time when government action to constrain the carbon emissions of the oil sands is appropriate. When the price is high, it’s too high. When it’s low, it’s too low. One can assume governments in potential export markets have noted this message, and will act accordingly.

• Locked thread