Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
There is an app that allows you to take photos of the corners of your room, or hold your phone against the walls of a room like a stud finder, and get the dimensions of said room. I'm curious as to what this or these apps were--searching it gives a lot of results of questionable quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kaizoku posted:

There is an app that allows you to take photos of the corners of your room, or hold your phone against the walls of a room like a stud finder, and get the dimensions of said room. I'm curious as to what this or these apps were--searching it gives a lot of results of questionable quality.
You've described "MagicPlan" and "RoomScan," respectively.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I used magicplan when we bought our house to get rough floor plans - the results weren't perfect but weren't bad either. (It's one of the "point at corner and rotate along floorline to next corner" type apps.)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I can vouch for MagicPlan being decent. Obviously not gonna be inch perfect but it's definitely good enough to get an idea of the size of the room, which you can then redraw in something like RoomPlanner to make a 3D model of the rooms with furniture and poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been using MagicPlan for years and it has come a long way. It's been really helpful when building out new locations. I can walk into a space and walk out with an approximate floorplan to give to the design people.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
MagicPlan was dope as gently caress when I was apartment hunting. Show up to a viewing, snap the corners and leave before any of the other viewers start to chat you up with the goal of intimidating you out of the place.

We were able to make sure all the furniture fit and even plan it out before we moved.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Magicplan sounds like it will be great for my job. Are any of the in app purchases recommended or am I ok with the free version if I just want to measure rooms?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MagicPlan doesn't work nearly as well if the room has furniture in it. Just keep that in mind.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

smackfu posted:

MagicPlan doesn't work nearly as well if the room has furniture in it. Just keep that in mind.

Ceiling corners.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

smackfu posted:

That is addressed the instant you open the app for the first time. This keeps getting repeated and it keeps being wrong.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Good timing on this discussion as I've been thinking about paying for either MagicPlan or RoomScan Pro. If I wanted to stick like a kitchen island in the middle of a room, would either app let me depict that? And then get the floor plan onto a format that I could manipulate (or just print) on a PC?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

That is addressed the instant you open the app for the first time. This keeps getting repeated and it keeps being wrong.

Hmmm, looks like ceiling capture was added in v4.0, which came out at the end of May. Nice that they fixed that, since it will be much more useful to me.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

All this home design app talk makes me wonder if there are any good ones for decorating and more specifically placing artwork - are there? Like it either figures out the size of the wall for you or you plug the dimensions in, and then you place scale versions of your artwork so you can figure out where to put your nails without too much trial-and-error?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I mostly use my iOS devices to play music in the car, through my accessory mode enabled stereo and USB connection. It pulls up the phone's music library natively, with playlists/shuffle/etc, and can skip tracks through the car interface.

Is there any app (jailbroken or otherwise) that anyone can recommend to expand the accessory controls to third-party audio like Amazon and Pandora? I'm having a hell of a time on Google finding anything to make things work better on the iOS side of things.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Minidust posted:

Good timing on this discussion as I've been thinking about paying for either MagicPlan or RoomScan Pro. If I wanted to stick like a kitchen island in the middle of a room, would either app let me depict that? And then get the floor plan onto a format that I could manipulate (or just print) on a PC?

Yeah I know that Magic Plan exports to a variety of formats. We exported a vector of the floor plan and used that to create the 3d space in something else on our pc.

You have to pay for iap if you want a good variety of furniture to lay out your floor plan in the app but it does come with free pieces and shapes that you can drop and adjust the size to approximate pieces you haven't bought as iap.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah I know that Magic Plan exports to a variety of formats. We exported a vector of the floor plan and used that to create the 3d space in something else on our pc.

You have to pay for iap if you want a good variety of furniture to lay out your floor plan in the app but it does come with free pieces and shapes that you can drop and adjust the size to approximate pieces you haven't bought as iap.
Good info, thanks! I'm not too interested in accurate furniture pics, so if I can throw down some simple rectangles for free that's perfect.

I see there's subscription-based IAP, but you can also buy "1 plan" for $2.99. What does that give you exactly? It is just the ability to export one time? Does it expand the actual mapping capabilities at all?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Sorry, I can't help you there. It seemed really silly to me to pay for any of their IAP when they give you enough tools to easily get around the necessity.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Anyone know how I can scrobble to last.fm without downloading a special player for that purpose? Is there something that can gather my playback information in the background or is that in the realm of jailbreaking? iPhone noob here, sorry if I'm missing anything too obvious

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I just did a search for you and it looks like cydia has exactly that tweak. So there is that if you can't find a legit way to do it.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Generic Monk posted:

Anyone know how I can scrobble to last.fm without downloading a special player for that purpose? Is there something that can gather my playback information in the background or is that in the realm of jailbreaking? iPhone noob here, sorry if I'm missing anything too obvious

This might not be what you're looking for, but the official desktop scrobbler apps'll add plays from devices to last.fm whenever you sync your iPhone / iPod with iTunes. Just go into the settings and tick 'Enable Device Scrobbling'. It's not realtime, but it's worked fine for me for years.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

I just did a search for you and it looks like cydia has exactly that tweak. So there is that if you can't find a legit way to do it.

I'm presuming that, if iOS is anything like when I had my ipod touch like 4 years ago that since I have a 5s on the latest version I'm out of luck with regard to jailbreaking? Just found the scrobbling option in the spotify settings anyway which is more or less fine by me anyway :)

Tenterhooks posted:

This might not be what you're looking for, but the official desktop scrobbler apps'll add plays from devices to last.fm whenever you sync your iPhone / iPod with iTunes. Just go into the settings and tick 'Enable Device Scrobbling'. It's not realtime, but it's worked fine for me for years.

I KNEW I'd seen some option like this - thanks! As you said, not realtime but I don't really give much of a poo poo about that anyway.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Nah you can jb. There is one for the current version.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Battleheart Legacy is utterly fantastic. Had a lot of fun playing it this evening. Is there a dedicated thread for it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

I'm presuming that, if iOS is anything like when I had my ipod touch like 4 years ago that since I have a 5s on the latest version I'm out of luck with regard to jailbreaking? Just found the scrobbling option in the spotify settings anyway which is more or less fine by me anyway :)

I KNEW I'd seen some option like this - thanks! As you said, not realtime but I don't really give much of a poo poo about that anyway.

There's also scrobbling to last.fm using their desktop client thing from iTunes plays and stuff on your desktop if you sync your device at all regularly.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Is there a comparable translation app to Google Translate on Android?

I've tried Word Lens and was unimpressed by the accuracy and don't feel like trying to draw non-Latin characters constantly in the IOS version of Google Translate.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Generic Monk posted:

I swear by and live by Cloudscrob. It's 99¢ but it's well worth it. You can play music from the normal Music.app, and then you open up Cloudscrob, it scans your library for updated playcounts, and scrobbles the results. It has always worked super well for me.

I will say that with iOS 7 something changed with backgrounding where the app missed a few scrobbles for me when I just closed it normally. Since I'm super paranoid about my stats being accurate, I always force-quit it after successfully scrobbling, and since then I've had 100% success and accuracy.

It's way better than using a hokey special music player that probably has lovely UI and will crash all the time anyway.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

A lazy photo of your dinner in distressed black and white is still a bad picture, so fix that with some book app-learnin'.

Stop relying on lovely filters to make a photo "interesting", and instead learn the basics of photography, exposure, balance and composition.*

http://codehookup.com/2370e92b All Gone

*US iTunes Accounts only, you dirty hipsters

Kruxy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 31, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

I mostly use my iOS devices to play music in the car, through my accessory mode enabled stereo and USB connection. It pulls up the phone's music library natively, with playlists/shuffle/etc, and can skip tracks through the car interface.

Is there any app (jailbroken or otherwise) that anyone can recommend to expand the accessory controls to third-party audio like Amazon and Pandora? I'm having a hell of a time on Google finding anything to make things work better on the iOS side of things.
Does forward/reverse work if you start playback in the third party app on the phone itself or does it lock everything else out once you connect the iPhone? If the latter I'm not sure there's a workaround, but I'm not familiar with possible jailbreak solutions, as far as software is concerned at least.

On my car I'm using this Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter which does some magic to transmit the iPod connection (playlists and track control and what not) over Bluetooth. That one I linked uses the old dock connector but they make a USB version...whether it's compatible with your car I have no clue though. Anyway in mine with the wired connection it automatically switched to the Music app, albeit last I tried years ago. With the Tune2Air I can start whatever other app, and once that's going you can control forward/reverse like in Control Center.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Are there any decent apps that let me cast pictures or video from my camera roll to Chromecast?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

japtor posted:

Does forward/reverse work if you start playback in the third party app on the phone itself or does it lock everything else out once you connect the iPhone? If the latter I'm not sure there's a workaround, but I'm not familiar with possible jailbreak solutions, as far as software is concerned at least.

On my car I'm using this Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter which does some magic to transmit the iPod connection (playlists and track control and what not) over Bluetooth. That one I linked uses the old dock connector but they make a USB version...whether it's compatible with your car I have no clue though. Anyway in mine with the wired connection it automatically switched to the Music app, albeit last I tried years ago. With the Tune2Air I can start whatever other app, and once that's going you can control forward/reverse like in Control Center.
It's kind of complex. If I load the Amazon music app before I turn the car on, it plays, but the dash controls don't work and playlist info doesn't display correctly. Otherwise, it doesn't care what I'm doing, it opens the Apple music library, but I have full control.

What I want is for the accessory mode that the iPhone goes into to use a third party app instead of the normal music library.

My car doesn't have Bluetooth, but the USB interface works pretty much identically to what you described when I'm using the Apple music library.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

It's kind of complex. If I load the Amazon music app before I turn the car on, it plays, but the dash controls don't work and playlist info doesn't display correctly. Otherwise, it doesn't care what I'm doing, it opens the Apple music library, but I have full control.

What I want is for the accessory mode that the iPhone goes into to use a third party app instead of the normal music library.

My car doesn't have Bluetooth, but the USB interface works pretty much identically to what you described when I'm using the Apple music library.
Yeah afaik that's not going to be possible without a jailbreak, for the full library/playlist access at least. The Tune2Air (if it works on your car) should give you play controls and not switch away from whatever app you're using, but won't give any third party library data outside of the currently playing track. (And make the music connection wireless, either a plus or minus depending on how you feel about that)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

japtor posted:

Out of curiosity what car do you have? Mine didn't work for my car (the way it's supposed to) and updating the thing seems drat near impossible. Apparently it involves going on Facebook and begging the company for a serial number to install their update program.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

teraflame posted:

Are there any decent apps that let me cast pictures or video from my camera roll to Chromecast?

Not from camera roll directly but if you had a plex server you could stream from the backups made to it.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Hey mate,

what do I have to look for to find this tweak? Tried all sorts of Last.fm combinations in to search. Cheers

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Kempy posted:

Hey mate,

what do I have to look for to find this tweak? Tried all sorts of Last.fm combinations in to search. Cheers

I think the tweak is called scrobbl. It got released this week or something

Edit: apparently the one on cydia is outdated? Someone redid it and put it on github so here's a prebuilt deb to install. Ymmv

UncleBlazer fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 1, 2014

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Overcast (v. Downcast) update: Been using them both for different podcasts and Overcast is really growing on me. Huge bonus: since its server sends you a push update when a new episode is available, it's way better at downloading new episodes than Downcast is, especially when recovering from crashes/restarts/airplane mode/etc. (If an app gets a push notification, it gets to wake up and run in the background.)

I've finally stopped looking for Playback speed behind the Playback button, so that helps too.

I'm missing the Previous/Next track playback buttons to skip over podcasts I don't want to listen to in that moment, but I could probably handle most of that with the whole "priority podcast" feature in a playlist.

Smart Speed has saved me 2+ hours already and murders comedy podcasts.

Settings are handled way more nicely in Overcast than Downcast for the same functionality. (Downcast obviously has way more settings in general.) Notably: Playback Speed/Voice Boost/Smart Speed controls with the option right there to set it specifically for the podcast rather than hidden deep in another menu.

Overcast backs up all of your episodes to iCloud and put me over my storage limit. Downcast only backs up episode state and will re-download all episodes if/when needed. I can see arguments for the former (easier to implement, major podcasts like WTF and TAL delete paywall their back catalog) but I still prefer the latter.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
FYI - In case you didn't see it coming, Facebook's latest app update removed Message functionality and complete's their forced migration to the separate Messenger app.

Edit: or possibly not.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 1, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thwomp posted:

FYI - In case you didn't see it coming, Facebook's latest app update removed Message functionality and complete's their forced migration to the separate Messenger app.

I have today's update and do not find your comment to be true.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

PFlats posted:

Overcast backs up all of your episodes to iCloud and put me over my storage limit. Downcast only backs up episode state and will re-download all episodes if/when needed. I can see arguments for the former (easier to implement, major podcasts like WTF and TAL delete paywall their back catalog) but I still prefer the latter.

I think that was changed in the 1.0.1 update so that nothing gets put into iCloud. Episode state is already tied to your Overcast account.

The push functionality is fantastic and solves one of my biggest gripes with Downcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Thwomp posted:

Edit: or possibly not.

People have been saying this poo poo for months now in this thread and I don't even see a hint of it on my devices.

• Locked thread