Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Vargo posted:

I really think I'd have to quit my job if I were too do any type of serious blogging. I write for almost eight hours a day straight, plus Current Releases, so the LAST thing I want to do in my spare time is sit in front of a computer and write more. This is also why I haven't done a new Political Theater episode in over a month, I have a half-written script sitting here.

More importantly, though, is since I have had to do corporatr blogging, the sheer amount of shadiness and bullshit that goes into marketing and making people actually READ this article, the work that goes into trying to get something to "go viral" (which is loving stupid because that is literally impossible to predict), has put a bad taste in my mouth. I can see it as a necessary evil, but man do I not like it.

I have been thinking lately that instead of grad school, maybe a better use of debt would be staying at work one more year, then getting a business loan and just starting my own site, and hiring someone to do the PR/Marketing for me.

I remember when you wrote stuff for me. that was fun and cool and stuff. I miss that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
If I ever won the lottery, most of my extended family would never see a penny but I would fund a ton of CineD goon projects. That's probably weird of me.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Geekboy posted:

If I ever won the lottery, most of my extended family would never see a penny but I would fund a ton of CineD goon projects. That's probably weird of me.

This is true of me, too, but most of my family is garbage and I like movies and the people that post here, so it makes sense.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ti West's newest movie, The Sacrament, is out on VOD. It's a found footage movie about a dude who works for Vice going to see his sister in a Jonestown-esque cult while Vice does a story on the cult. I'm pretty stoked to check this one out, I like House of the Devil and I loved Second Honeymoon. I want to see what else he does with found footage.

edit: And it has Joe Swanberg aka the husband from Second Honeymoon. Dear God, please let this man be the Jim Jones.
edit2 He's not and I am saddened.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 22, 2014

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's also been playing at a number of underground film festivals, which I believe means they show the films below ground.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

It's also been playing at a number of underground film festivals, which I believe means they show the films below ground.

I want to go to a subterranean film festival. Will there be dwarves?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TwistedLadder posted:

Morlocks.

Fun fact: Half of my job is coming up with newer and more elaborate references to describe how subhuman my customers are. Morlocks is probably my personal favorite so far, although the store standby is just "mutants" because then we can make X-Men jokes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

TwistedLadder posted:

Highly unlikely. However, there may be slime and/or ooze, either of which may possess supernatural properties.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Gonz posted:

Highly unlikely. However, there may be slime and/or ooze, either of which may possess supernatural properties.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Would CHUDs be an acceptable dwarf substitute?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Literally The Worst posted:

Ti West's newest movie, The Sacrament, is out on VOD. It's a found footage movie about a dude who works for Vice going to see his sister in a Jonestown-esque cult while Vice does a story on the cult. I'm pretty stoked to check this one out, I like House of the Devil and I loved Second Honeymoon. I want to see what else he does with found footage.

edit: And it has Joe Swanberg aka the husband from Second Honeymoon. Dear God, please let this man be the Jim Jones.
edit2 He's not and I am saddened.

Its good. His use of tension is expert in the film and the cast is pretty great for a found footage film.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I was making a joke about a conversation between Ti West and Joe Swanberg's characters in You're Next, but now I'm remembering a (possibly apocryphal) news story. The Paris police were doing a training exercise in the catacombs (somehow not the premise of a found footage movie) and they came across a fully functional theater setup. Projector, seats, a library of movies. Maybe they were the dwarves/morlocks we're looking for?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Its good. His use of tension is expert in the film and the cast is pretty great for a found footage film.

Yeah I'm still in the first ~20 minutes and it's just the right kind of creepy, where you know some poo poo is going to go down but you don't know what.

Also, watching this reminded me of Safe Haven and now I want Gareth whatever who did The Raid/2/Safe Haven to do a full length horror movie. It starts with one monster and ends with the forces of hell unleashed on earth as we tremble in fear.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Safe Haven was a really good remake of The Beyond.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Safe Haven was a really good remake of The Beyond.

I hope his follow-up full-length is nothing but baphomets. Kung fu baphomets.

edit This poo poo has an actual score. How often do you have an actual score in found footage movies? Never, right?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hope his follow-up full-length is nothing but baphomets. Kung fu baphomets.

edit This poo poo has an actual score. How often do you have an actual score in found footage movies? Never, right?

The complaints about the goat man in Safe Haven are probably my least favorite complaints about any movie ever and yes I'm including those one-line netflix reviews.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

A lot of the really bad FF movies have a score. This one is an exception.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I just watched V/H/S2 the other day finally and GOD drat it was trash. Just trash. Except for Safe Haven. That one was great, goatman monster and all. Rad poo poo. The rest of it though? GOD drat TRASH

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Criminal Minded posted:

Not to be all :filez: but you can pretty easily find The Cremaster Cycle floating around the internet. I have no idea what the quality is like but it's out there.

Crispin Glover's It is Fine! Everything is Fine, on the other hand...

Cremaster's on Youtube. I haven't checked if every part is, but for the most part it's up there.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The complaints about the goat man in Safe Haven are probably my least favorite complaints about any movie ever and yes I'm including those one-line netflix reviews.

I keep thinking you're referring to the lovely Nicolas Sparks Movie with Julianne Hough and Josh Duhamel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vargo posted:

I keep thinking you're referring to the lovely Nicolas Sparks Movie with Julianne Hough and Josh Duhamel.

Is there a goat man in that? Has Nicholas Sparks gone from Thomas Kincaid to Jack Chick?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FishBulb posted:

I just watched V/H/S2 the other day finally and GOD drat it was trash. Just trash. Except for Safe Haven. That one was great, goatman monster and all. Rad poo poo. The rest of it though? GOD drat TRASH

SPAA loving owns, go gently caress yourself.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dude, goatman owns.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SPAA loving owns, go gently caress yourself.

I will say this: I like the acronym

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FishBulb posted:

There's the excellent wrap-around sto... okay, I'll give you that. But how about 'Phase One Clinical Tri... goddammit. 'Ride in the Park'! 'Ride in the Park' was... an okay concept?

The final alien segment is absolutely great for the kids' acting and the absolute onslaught of noises and lights, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think I'm the only one who liked A Ride In The Park. That one had some of the more inventive, playful camerawork I've seen in a found footage movie.

SPAA just kinda felt like going to a bad suburban haunted house.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Ride in the park had an okay set up but it didn't do anything interesting with it. The alien one didn't work for me at all either and when I was a kid aliens were my number one super fear so I consider that a supreme failure.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Wait, people actually liked Second Honeymoon? I thought it was the worst thing to come out of the VHS movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Wait, people actually liked Second Honeymoon? I thought it was the worst thing to come out of the VHS movies.

Consensus holds that it's one of the best. I thought it was very solid.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wilhelm Scream posted:

What's it like to be a soulless piece of poo poo?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

What's it like to be a soulless piece of poo poo?

Take a deep breath dude.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Finally, a chance to actually use "settle down, Dickeye."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Take a deep breath dude.

I'll cut you too man I ain't afraid of going back to the slammer.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think I'm the only one who liked A Ride In The Park. That one had some of the more inventive, playful camerawork I've seen in a found footage movie.

SPAA just kinda felt like going to a bad suburban haunted house.

I liked it too, but I also like Tuesday the 17th in the first one, so I might just be wrong about life.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I liked it too, but I also like Tuesday the 17th in the first one, so I might just be wrong about life.

I've cooled significantly towards the first V/H/S since I first saw it, but I still wouldn't say I dislike any of the segments. I even think the wraparound has its virtues.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wilhelm Scream posted:

It owns a lot. Both movies are choppy anthology horror movies, what anthology horror movies aren't? I'm just glad the series itself is worth a drat, the worst thing I can say about the worst short is that I just don't find it very interesting.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

echoplex posted:

I *love* Tank Girl. I heard it was pretty poorly received but yeah, it's a fantastic film and McDowell is always worth watching. It looks great, too, no idea what the budget was but it feels really authentically punky/alternative which is kind of rare on big budgets. The PD was Catherine Hardwicke and I guess she would have been fairly young at the time. Films of that size tend to go to older, more experienced designers.

Female PDs are really rare when it comes to helming big pictures - probably rarer than female DPs - and I've never known why that is. I'd say the Art Department in general seems to be maybe 65% women so it's puzzling why only a tiny proportion reach the top. There's a lot of institutionalised sexism in this industry though, so maybe it's that. I've noticed that Hardwicke moved onto directing a couple of years ago which seems to be a common enough progression - usually borne of being frustrated by poo poo directors that don't know how to use sets :(

Cool post.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yo The Sacrament kinda rules. I think a lot of it is because it sidesteps a lot of your typical found footage conceits. Like the footage isn't "found' at all it's a Vice Guide To that was presumably published by Vice, it's professionals so you get around that whole "I have no idea how to use my camera" thing, and for the most part (at least the first 40ish minutes) it's shot and presented almost like a normal film, just with a bumpier camera at times. It's probably the least intrusive usage of found footage. It rules.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Second Honeymoon is pretty much the only one from both movies I flat-out didn't like, even Tuesday the 17th managed to somewhat entertain me.

Because I'm bored, I'd rank them like this:

Safe Haven
10/31/98
Slumber Party Alien Abduction
Amateur Night
The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger
A Ride in the Park
Phase 1 Clinical Trials
Tuesday the 17th
Second Honeymoon

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yo The Sacrament kinda rules. I think a lot of it is because it sidesteps a lot of your typical found footage conceits. Like the footage isn't "found' at all it's a Vice Guide To that was presumably published by Vice, it's professionals so you get around that whole "I have no idea how to use my camera" thing, and for the most part (at least the first 40ish minutes) it's shot and presented almost like a normal film, just with a bumpier camera at times. It's probably the least intrusive usage of found footage. It rules.

Get in the horror thread and talk about it because I didn't get it at all.

DNS posted:

Cool post.

Of all the 90's movies I really like still it's probably the corniest but I love Tank Girl. Lori Petty is probably the main reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Get in the horror thread and talk about it because I didn't get it at all.

You post about it yet? I need a jumping off point.

• Locked thread