Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

SkySteak posted:

Yeah I'm probably going to seize one more Empire title (Maybe Arabia/Persian) then break it up. Maybe Britannia breaking off to be its own thing.

Break every Empire title into its own nation. Done. Anything else and the game will be even more trivial than playing France in EU4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Break every Empire title into its own nation. Done. Anything else and the game will be even more trivial than playing France in EU4.

I haven't played enough EUIV to know but how would even the current Roman Empire be broken? Is it just that EUIV doesn't have as many checks against powerful blobs, or more than I will just be sitting on shittons of valuable trade zones and manpower?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

SkySteak posted:

I haven't played enough EUIV to know but how would even the current Roman Empire be broken? Is it just that EUIV doesn't have as many checks against powerful blobs, or more than I will just be sitting on shittons of valuable trade zones and manpower?

Look at the normal EU4 map. Look at Europe. All the relevant competition you will face is there. You hold far, far more land than anyone else, trivializing the entire game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SkySteak posted:

Both.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Reclaim the lost borders, then right before the end reform into elective. Transfer to EU4, use HRE mechanics for your empire, split each kingdom/empire into their own country. Then play as Bhutan with the goal of dismantling it :unsmigghh:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some questions i have because i've yet to see any of it happen in any game.

Do colonial powers ever split? I conquered the whole of the Iberian peninsula and yet Brazil and Florida are still devout protectorades of one\two province African governments in exile.

Also, is there any revolutionary mechanics? I swear you could have revolutions in the 18th century in EU3 yet i saw none of it here, even the worst states just had pretender rebels that never changed the state considerably.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
What's up with the "increase over time" penalty/bonus to technology?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Koramei posted:

Yeah, I've been wondering that too. My best guess has been that it's a .5% increase per tech level for the relevant tree, probably to make later techs more difficult to get without dramatically inflating the cost.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

Yeah, it's a per-level (not time) increase to the cost of technologies. I guess they thought late game techs were too cheap given the increased rate of monarch points from advisors?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, it's a per-level (not time) increase to the cost of technologies. I guess they thought late game techs were too cheap given the increased rate of monarch points from advisors?

This is (somewhat) counteracted by the bonus to tech you get from taking an idea from that branch. So I guess it also helps people not fall behind in late game techs because of ideas?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That was never really a problem though, unless you were terrible at picking ideas.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I'm about 10 years behind schedule, at this point I had planned to have all of Iberia but that's five years away still. I do have 2 elector vassals though and I'm plotting to remove a third. Muscovy is almost totally gone and I am the only colonial power (and it will probably stay that way). Current objective is to conquer enough of the low countries to move my capitol into a HRE province and to secure my trade node and stop any Dutch revolt events (if you have your cap in the Dutch Region, you will not get the Dutch revolt events). Oh and I have all 7 cardinals now, and all 5 future cardinals, while still having the statute in restraint of appeals, church taxes and monestary dissolution. Basically I am the Pope.

I also started my traditional 'make the berbers massive and cut them down again for my vassal' trick about 20 years ago, I should have all of North Africa in 100 years.

Not pictured: British Mali, British Russia, explorers heading down to Mutapa for all that gold and Ivory and a partridge in a pear tree.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's all leveraged off a 100YW win I imagine?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

PittTheElder posted:

That's all leveraged off a 100YW win I imagine?

Yeah, I wanted to see how far I could get with that before trying Orthodox Ottomans for my real WC attempt.

My goal is basically all of Europe + Russia + Africa, though if I get all of Europe, making the rest protectorates probably won't be overly hard.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 12, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SkySteak posted:

I was going to ask a modding question. In my CK2 game I am constructing my Roman Empier which is currently looking like this (in 1321):

Turn it into the HRE and divide it up into a mixture of Kingdom and Duchy sized nations. Or hell even use a modified Shogun system.

Either way just handwave it as being a period of internal strife so the empire isn't steamrolling everything else.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A shogunate system of that size would be a thunderdome of previously unseen proportions. If you've got the patience, do it. That would make playing the Emperor pretty interesting too; it would only be a matter of time before some megablob formed that you'd have to counter.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

PittTheElder posted:

That would make playing the Emperor pretty interesting too; it would only be a matter of time before some megablob formed that you'd have to counter.

No, it'd be even stronger than playing the game straight out of the converter because it'd be exactly like starting the game as a stronger HRE with the next to last reform already passed.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Any word on when the 1.5 patch is hitting? I seem to remember something about early this week.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

For the Rome mega blob I second finishing it out to Trajan's borders and then turn it into a HRE type setup. No idea how to do it in the converter unless there is a switch somewhere. Break everyone down to a single One Province Minor. Make a couple of clearly more powerful entities around historically key Roman cities, Constantinople, Egypt, Milan pop one in Iberia and one in Gaul somewhere then play as a One Province Rome and get to work making your fractured empire whole again.

The better you make the Milan based nation the harder you'll make your game.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 12, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cantorsdust posted:

Any word on when the 1.5 patch is hitting? I seem to remember something about early this week.

There's another beta patch first which was just released!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, how do you get "Orthodox Ottomans" and why is that a thing for world conquests? I've heard that mentioned a few times in relation to WCs.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
1) Sell your turkish sunni provinces to a vassal like Karaman or Candar
2) Conquer Constantinople but don't core it
3) send a missionary to Constantinople until you get rebels, let them siege it
4) once the siege is finished you accept their demands

Just make sure they are religious rebels and not national.

You can conquer some Balkan provinces to increase overextension and increase revolt risk.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Forgive me my liege, but why are we trying to incite Orthodox population in Constantinople?

I told you before, we want them to rise up and force me to convert to Orthodoxy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yesterday I started my first game of EU4 (Portugal) and Im loving it. But, besides having played all EUs from the first and reading those guides in the OP, Im still quite lost on some mechanics. A lot have changed this time.

So I have some questions, if anyone can help me, Ill be most grateful:

- those "monarch points" seems to be the most important thing in the game right now, since they are required for everything. What can I do to get more points? Specially diplomacy points, since most of the Ideas I want require diplo points;

- is there any way to get more merchants or colonists other than Ideas?

- I see that I have a "triggered modifier" called "East Indian Route" or something, and I have 6/7 of its requirements. The last one, though, is to own one of the listed "trade nodes". I have no idea how to do that and I cant even find then on the map;

- Portugal has a moroccan province, Ceuta. But so far, it is more of a nuisance than anything. Due to cultural and religious differences, I get no income from it and its always in the verge of revolt. Also, my missionaries have a 0% chance of converting it. So, what am I supposed to do with it? At this rate, it seems like the most sensible thing to do would be to just give up on it. Any reason to keep it? What can I do to make it useful?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Forgive me my liege, but why are we trying to incite Orthodox population in Constantinople?

I told you before, we want them to rise up and force me to convert to Orthodoxy.

IRL France spent years ignoring social unrest so they could have a republican government type.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

A Tartan Tory posted:

After the 0/0/0 I got a 0/0/1 heir. :downs:

Luckily, he died mysteriously in a boating accident on the way to the Azores and his younger brother took over aged 16!
You can still do this!? I thought PDS fixed the March Into the Sea exploit?

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yeah, this WC attempt is going well so far...

Not pictured: Muscovy being utterly shat on by Novgorod and my control of Azores/Madeira/Canaries.

Whats the theory behind picking England for WC?

Ive been meaning to try but in Ironman games I feel I dont expand fast enough.

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yesterday I started my first game of EU4 (Portugal) and Im loving it. But, besides having played all EUs from the first and reading those guides in the OP, Im still quite lost on some mechanics. A lot have changed this time.

So I have some questions, if anyone can help me, Ill be most grateful:

- those "monarch points" seems to be the most important thing in the game right now, since they are required for everything. What can I do to get more points? Specially diplomacy points, since most of the Ideas I want require diplo points;
Advisors, occasionally missions. Colonial/traders are always diplo points poor though (at least, I am.)

quote:

- is there any way to get more merchants or colonists other than Ideas?

Merchants, yes (through decisions, e.g. East India House of Trade.) Colonists, no. N.B., you can recall a colonist and create another colony so long as you have the income to support it.

quote:

- I see that I have a "triggered modifier" called "East Indian Route" or something, and I have 6/7 of its requirements. The last one, though, is to own one of the listed "trade nodes". I have no idea how to do that and I cant even find then on the map;
You need a province bordering one of the regions plus a merchant in the corresponding trade node. There are map modes for both (trade node + region.)

quote:

- Portugal has a moroccan province, Ceuta. But so far, it is more of a nuisance than anything. Due to cultural and religious differences, I get no income from it and its always in the verge of revolt. Also, my missionaries have a 0% chance of converting it. So, what am I supposed to do with it? At this rate, it seems like the most sensible thing to do would be to just give up on it. Any reason to keep it? What can I do to make it useful?
Early game you can recruit superior calvary from that province.
After taking enough Catholic decisions you will be able to convert it.
Taking another province (Meilla) will enable the Barbary Pirates triggered modifier.
If nothing else it provides more trade power for the Seville node.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

"But my liege, why do we want to convert to Orthodoxy?"

Is switching to Orthodox a for fun thing or does it enable some sort of other trick/provide a general gameplay benefit?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You can become HRE as Orthodox which basically gives you a huge pile of free territory and bonuses (which include an additive reduction to coring costs allowing you to get super cheap cores).

Vequeth posted:

Whats the theory behind picking England for WC?

Ive been meaning to try but in Ironman games I feel I dont expand fast enough.

French PU and eliminating a colonial power on day 1 (since you don't have to compete with yourself)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blackluck posted:

Advisors, occasionally missions. Colonial/traders are always diplo points poor though (at least, I am.)

Merchants, yes (through decisions, e.g. East India House of Trade.) Colonists, no. N.B., you can recall a colonist and create another colony so long as you have the income to support it.

You need a province bordering one of the regions plus a merchant in the corresponding trade node. There are map modes for both (trade node + region.)

Early game you can recruit superior calvary from that province.
After taking enough Catholic decisions you will be able to convert it.
Taking another province (Meilla) will enable the Barbary Pirates triggered modifier.
If nothing else it provides more trade power for the Seville node.

Thanks a lot for the answers.

I wanst even using advisors, since they are so expensive. Im saving to hire some now.

And I guess Ill keep Ceuta, then. The annoyance is that I have to leave a sizable stack there otherwise it will revolt.

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012
Harsh measures will mitigate that (military points are usually plentiful) and/or eat the admin cost and core it (which is what I did in a recent game as Portugal.) Some players will create a N. African vassal (Fez? I guess), feed it provinces than integrate it, saving you the (admittedly high coring costs.)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

You can become HRE as Orthodox which basically gives you a huge pile of free territory and bonuses (which include an additive reduction to coring costs allowing you to get super cheap cores).

French PU and eliminating a colonial power on day 1 (since you don't have to compete with yourself)

Castille seems like a good candidate for WC too, at least I managed to make really good use of that "get a claim on any coastal province" NI. You need a lot of diplomats for it but it will reduce coring costs and makes getting landing points easy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blackluck posted:

Harsh measures will mitigate that (military points are usually plentiful) and/or eat the admin cost and core it (which is what I did in a recent game as Portugal.) Some players will create a N. African vassal (Fez? I guess), feed it provinces than integrate it, saving you the (admittedly high coring costs.)

But I think its already core? Harsh measures Ive been using a lot.

And how do I create a vassal?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Elias_Maluco posted:

But I think its already core? Harsh measures Ive been using a lot.

Some small nations who like you, have an alliance with you, and have a royal marriage with you will have a diplomatic option to be annexed. Other than that, you can vassalize small nations in war. If you're emperor of the HRE, the second to last decision vassalizes everyone in the HRE.

Edit: almost forgot, you can also release nations which don't exist but for which you hold cores. Thy are released as a same religion vassal.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Diplomacy interface, if you're asking how to make one from territory you already control.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Thy are released as a same religion vassal.

This doesn't always work for me. I accidentally released a reformed Teutonic Order when I was orthodox Russia. I don't really understand why.

edit: sorry for accidental double post; they are not on the exact same topic so I am going to leave it.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Just popping in to say Burgundy is an awesome country. gently caress forming the Netherlands to become a trade empire through superior navy and merchants. Just conquer every trade node in Europe and watch it flow into Antwerp.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dickensian Aspect posted:

Diplomacy interface, if you're asking how to make one from territory you already control.

Yeah, that was what I was asking. The new interface is good and I navigated it quite a bit, but its still somewhat overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Dickensian Aspect posted:

This doesn't always work for me. I accidentally released a reformed Teutonic Order when I was orthodox Russia. I don't really understand why.

edit: sorry for accidental double post; they are not on the exact same topic so I am going to leave it.

I think its Heathens get switched, Heretics keep their heresy or the other way.

• Locked thread