Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
RIP best character in television Mickey Doyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Yeah, that was probably just the grief talking on my part.

This is a really good final season but drat if it isn't brutal to watch. The flashbacks feel like watching the buildup of a horror movie sometimes.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Fun fact: the dirty song Bugsy was singing is a real song from 1931. Oddly enough I first heard it on the Todd Glass Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfcKy-VcXo

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Flashback Nucky's fake teeth are so drat ridiculous.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

RIP the true boardwalk emperor.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Also the Cuban sure went out like a bitch.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I think it is funny that Nucky is objectively a horrible person, but after following his story for so long I get mad when Lucky makes him into his bitch.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Not so subtle with the whole "Salvatore Maranzano fancied himself the mob version of Julius Caesar and gets stabbed to death" thing, too.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

I did not see the last 5 min coming. Will there be redemption for Gillian and Nucky? Probably not, everybody going die :unsmigghh:

raindrop
Oct 11, 2014
Young Gillian is really another one of the kids who nailed the mannerisms of the character she's portraying. It was less obvious when she was still pretending to be a boy, but today I was wowed.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
for a penultimate episode, that really stunk. It's like the direction quality took two steps down from the rest of this stellar final season. That opening montage felt super out of place for the tone of the show, as did the over the top letter-reading voice over at the end. It didn't work, and this isn't exactly an ideal time to experiment.

Well at least you know nucky is 100% concerned about ~LAST CHANCE REDEMPTION~ for the finale.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

for a penultimate episode, that really stunk. It's like the direction quality took two steps down from the rest of this stellar final season. That opening montage felt super out of place for the tone of the show, as did the over the top letter-reading voice over at the end. It didn't work, and this isn't exactly an ideal time to experiment.

Actually I thought the montage was similar to what they did in Season 3 with the war between Gyp Rosetti's people and Capone's men. I'm pretty sure they did the same sequence of tons of guys getting killed while some politician talked about the violence getting out of hand in Atlantic City but justice was going to prevail, or something similar. I could be wrong though.

Anyways the final episode looks like it's going to be slow which I guess isn't a bad thing after these last two episodes where basically everybody died. The preview spelled out Nucky and Margaret sharing one more personal moment before Nucky takes a final walk by himself on the Boardwalk.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that montage was a shadow of the Season 3 one.

I don't understand Nucky's plan with shorting the stock. I've been expecting it to be some great reveal that the finale turns on, but after that episode, I'm just wondering if I missed something.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Bubba Smith posted:

Actually I thought the montage was similar to what they did in Season 3 with the war between Gyp Rosetti's people and Capone's men. I'm pretty sure they did the same sequence of tons of guys getting killed while some politician talked about the violence getting out of hand in Atlantic City but justice was going to prevail, or something similar. I could be wrong though.
They did indeed do that, but the problem is that they did it better then. Considering the stakes, the final season's 11th hour and the towering intensity of a previous series-high episode of a near impossible pedigree to follow, the only stuff that didn't feel strangely hollow and inconsequential were the flashbacks. The girl playing child Gillian did really fine job of mimicry. Those speech patterns were expertly coached!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

They did indeed do that, but the problem is that they did it better then. Considering the stakes, the final season's 11th hour and the towering intensity of a previous series-high episode of a near impossible pedigree to follow, the only stuff that didn't feel strangely hollow and inconsequential were the flashbacks. The girl playing child Gillian did really fine job of mimicry. Those speech patterns were expertly coached!

I agree they did it better in season 3, I was just pointing out that the war montage in tonight's episode wasn't really "super out of place for the tone of the show" like you posted. it was too similar to the previous one to be out of place.

And I think this episode felt hollow because it was the first one that was entirely Luciano vs Nucky (except for the flashbacks), and the problem is the tension between those characters hasn't really been a factor at any other time in the series. It wasn't all that long ago that Nucky hired Bugsy Siegal to try and kill Gyp Rosetti for him, and now they're at war with each other. It's where the timeskip and rushed season are obvious.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Nucky's wife is the same actress who plays Gallinger's wife on The Knick. She looks nicer with teeth.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The opening montage worked for me because it was about all the gangsters being worried and paranoid, a good preview for the era when guys like Eliot Ness finally managed to effectively fight back.

The voice and acting from young Gillian is absolutely HAUNTING. Whatever awards there are for casting for TV shows, BE deserves to sweep them for what they have done with this season.

That said, how many episodes are left? I dunno exactly. I'm not watching anymore, it's all set up to be worse than it is now. Instead I'm writing my own head cannon where Al Capone beats the IRS and is elected VP when Nucky wins the Presidency and legalizes all drugs. Micky survives a graze shot on his head. And major flashback twist, nothing bad ever happened to little Gillian.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 20, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Nucky's wife is the same actress who plays Gallinger's wife on The Knick. She looks nicer with teeth.

Is that show good?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Is that show good?

It's Steven Soderbergh schooling every single T.V. director, editor, and cinematographer at once. Writing is okay.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Bubba Smith posted:

I agree they did it better in season 3, I was just pointing out that the war montage in tonight's episode wasn't really "super out of place for the tone of the show" like you posted. it was too similar to the previous one to be out of place.

And I think this episode felt hollow because it was the first one that was entirely Luciano vs Nucky (except for the flashbacks), and the problem is the tension between those characters hasn't really been a factor at any other time in the series. It wasn't all that long ago that Nucky hired Bugsy Siegal to try and kill Gyp Rosetti for him, and now they're at war with each other. It's where the timeskip and rushed season are obvious.
Should have clarified that given their usage of the device before in S3, it was out of tone for this season, but not the entire show itself. Despite the accelerated nature of an 8 episode cap, proceedings have been effectively pensive and confident, which makes them feel surprisingly unhurried. And it suddenly occurs to me why I didn't like this episode - it was the first one that really felt rushed. It's even worse because the best penultimate episodes of worthwhile prestige dramas are typically propulsive timebombs that explode deliberately in stunning fashion. It's a sour note because I've liked S5 quite a bit even with its monumental limitations.

And again, it followed last week's episode. Yikes

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

FuriousxGeorge posted:

That said, how many episodes are left? I dunno exactly.

It's all over next Sunday.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

I watched the latest Knick ep and this episode back to back and goddamn that was bugging me. Thanks.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Bubba Smith posted:

Luciano and Lansky were secondary antagonists towards Nucky in season 1 (where they were under Rothstein's thumb) and in season 2 (where they were part of the conspiracy with Jimmy, the Commodore, and Eli to overthrow him). They had made up and worked together since then, but I don't think it's necessarily coming out of nowhere.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The voice and acting from young Gillian is absolutely HAUNTING. Whatever awards there are for casting for TV shows, BE deserves to sweep them for what they have done with this season.

The casting of the young versions of each of the characters is superb, to be sure, but I think a lot of the credit should also go to the directing. The cadence of their speeches is absolutely spot-on with the actors playing the older version of the character and I feel like the directing also has a large part of that. For example the young version of Eli didn't necessarily look all that much like a young version of Shea Whigham, but when he started saying Eli phrases like "It's not like that" in the EXACT same tone of voice it was pretty mind blowing.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Don't know what any of the film nerds in this thread are complaining about. Was on the edge of my seat the entire episode, didn't feel hurried at all. The flashbacks were super haunting. Fantastic episode.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I haven't really been enjoying this season as much as the last ones but I liked this episode.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

bbf2 posted:

Luciano and Lansky were secondary antagonists towards Nucky in season 1 (where they were under Rothstein's thumb) and in season 2 (where they were part of the conspiracy with Jimmy, the Commodore, and Eli to overthrow him). They had made up and worked together since then, but I don't think it's necessarily coming out of nowhere.

Also Meyer saying he wanted Nucky to get on his knees was probably because of this from season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2J2k88cdG0

I kind of liked how he didn't forget.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Erwin posted:

Fun fact: the dirty song Bugsy was singing is a real song from 1931. Oddly enough I first heard it on the Todd Glass Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfcKy-VcXo

aw hell yeah

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's not that weird that Luciano and Lansky turned against Nucky, they've been basically killing their way to the top all season.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Jesus, that episode was pretty harrowing. It all worked for me except maybe the opening montage, I feel that could've been set up better. The flashbacks especially were excellent as they have been all season. Gillian's letter was amazing.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Lugaloco posted:

harrowing

?? No one lost an eye though, that was Van Alden in the previous episode

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Man, if you didn't see Mickey's death coming from a mile away after that moment they had in the club I have no idea what to tell you.

So the finale's gonna have Capone getting arrested, the big conference that people in this thread have mentioned since the show started, some kind of last scene with Margaret, Young Nucky giving Gillian to the Commodore and Old Nucky arriving at the asylum too late to prevent Creepy Doc from fixing her brain? I sure hope between that and Nucky's obligatory Last Stroll Down That Boardwalk the writers somehow find the space to poo poo on Eli one last time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Illinois Smith posted:

...and Old Nucky arriving at the asylum too late to prevent Creepy Doc from fixing her brain?

The lady coming out of the surgery ward lifted up her dress, which suggests either she was given a Caesarean or abortion (implying someone in the asylum impregnated her), or worse, she was 'fixed' in another way - they might've performed a hysterectomy. Remember this is still an era where older doctors, the kind that would staff an insane asylum in lieu of a hospital, would ~try everything~ before going with the lobotomy, and though on the wane, 'female hysteria' was still 'a thing' among older doctors who would've been educated in the late 19th century.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

Man, if you didn't see Mickey's death coming from a mile away after that moment they had in the club I have no idea what to tell you.

So the finale's gonna have Capone getting arrested, the big conference that people in this thread have mentioned since the show started, some kind of last scene with Margaret, Young Nucky giving Gillian to the Commodore and Old Nucky arriving at the asylum too late to prevent Creepy Doc from fixing her brain? I sure hope between that and Nucky's obligatory Last Stroll Down That Boardwalk the writers somehow find the space to poo poo on Eli one last time.

If you're referring to The Atlantic City Conference I'm afraid we've missed that in the time skip. It was one of the largest complaints of doing a time skip because seriously, it would have owned. I agree with everything else in your post though.

I enjoyed the beginning montage...I liked how each character was shown quickly looking over their shoulder as someone enters, but it was never an enemy.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Also Meyer saying he wanted Nucky to get on his knees was probably because of this from season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2J2k88cdG0

I kind of liked how he didn't forget.
Of course not, because he was on his knees facing execution in season one along with the D'Alessio brothers, too.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Abner Assington posted:

Not so subtle with the whole "Salvatore Maranzano fancied himself the mob version of Julius Caesar and gets stabbed to death" thing, too.

Both of those were based on the real life Sal Maranzano, actually.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I don't understand Nucky's plan with shorting the stock. I've been expecting it to be some great reveal that the finale turns on, but after that episode, I'm just wondering if I missed something.

At the beginning of the season Nucky's retirement plan was to leverage a senator (the one he entertained in Cuba) to get him a meeting with the Mayflower Grain Corporation, which is a consortium of legitimate businessmen led by Joe Kennedy. The Mayflower guys figure that Prohibition will be repealed in the next couple of years and they're buying everything they need to revive the liquor industry, including US distribution rights for foreign brands. Nucky wanted to join them as their man in Cuba and Florida, the US distributor of Bacardi. Kennedy turned him down, then his deal with Bacardi collapsed, and now he's bargained away what's left of his criminal empire.

At the same time, though, he's had Margaret plowing everything he has left into a short position on the Mayflower Grain Corporation. This implies that in the next episode he's planning to do something that will tank their stock price. I'm not sure what that might be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Margaret mentioned in last night's episode that the level he's shorting is going to be noticed by the market so Nucky might be playing a game where he's trying to make it look like someone is insider trading and cause others to drop the stock.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

ChipNDip posted:

Both of those were based on the real life Sal Maranzano, actually.
I knew he had a boner for ancient Rome and was murdered, but I didn't know the details. The way it was shot seemed reminiscent of Julius Caesar's murder in HBO Rome (or maybe that's because I'm re-watching that right now.)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

timp posted:

If you're referring to The Atlantic City Conference I'm afraid we've missed that in the time skip.
Wait, so when Torrio, in the scene after Maranzano's stabbing, was talking to Lansky and Luciano about "setting a meeting with everyone from Pittsburgh to Podunk and laying out the rules before people get their own ideas" ... That was meant to reference something else than the big conference people have been telling me about for five years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The Torrio shot near the end where all the young guys (Luciano, Lansky, etc.) are partying and the scene is cut in two by the pillar with old man Torrio alone by himself in the frame was pretty sad looking.

I half expected them to just cut his throat there or have a goon take him out back and tie him to a tree.

Does anyone know who the following conversation between Luciano and Lansky referenced?

quote:

"What we going to do with Atlantic City?"
"Let's give it to Pinky."
"That'd be a hell of a Bar Mitzvah present."

Are we supposed to know who Pinky is? I don't. I'm assuming from the third line it is someone really young. Maybe it's Joel Harper from Indiana who is maybe someone else, but I don't know.

• Locked thread