Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Captain Foo posted:

what the gently caress is all this words

Sadly I can't talk detail about how mechanics work, or give any specific examples. I can only do is dance like a little birdie around the issues. I mean, even if I said that Exalted Third Edition got rid of all dice rolling in favor of flipping coins, it wouldn't make sense unless there was some context behind it.

Exalted Third Edition is a great setting that draws on your old loves, but will ultimately help you find new loves too. It's an epic world designed to evoke imaginative storytelling where you have fun times playing make-believe with your superheroes. The mechanics of the game literally just enhance your ability to do that.

Hey if you decided to make up your mind about this game before you've seen anything about it, then I'm not going to change your mind. What I can say is that if you are excited for Third Edition, your excitement is well placed and you won't be disappointed. If you're on the fence, then all I can say is that this that Mørke will deliver, but it won't be done with a forum post. It's going to be done with a quality product, so be patient and see what it has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ferrinus posted:

How often is it that I actually show up on the Exalted community to make a comment anymore? Let me talk about Third Edition.

First of all, if when you were eight years old your parents told you that you were moving out of the cramped apartment that had shady electrical systems and rats in the walls to a beautiful single-family home with friendly neighbors who bring you pumpkin pies every weekend, and you cried and whined and screamed and they had to drag you out of the house while you held onto the rotten couch that smells like cat urine, and you have NOT matured beyond this point in your life, you might not like Third Edition.

Second of all, if you are the sort of person who cannot accept change to any extent, to the level where you keep a white shirt covered in holes and spaghetti stains and upon receiving a fresh pack of new white shirts from family on Christmas, throw the new shirts aside because you're used to the old ratty thing that you had previously, you might not like Third Edition.

Third of all, if you do not like engaging roleplaying games that are interactive, where you and friends design fictional heroes who are placed in a world filled with both wonder and danger, where-in you proceed to make what you will of that world be it saving the day while riding in on a horse plated with golden armor or manipulating people from the shadows to dominate it, wielding superpowers derived from the most powerful gods in existence, then you might not like Third Edition.

I see a lot of people griping about mechanics, and it just needs to stop. The change from First Edition to Second Edition was like upgrading from your old Playstation 2 to a Playstation 3. Some stuff was different, and at first you might not have seen the reason to upgrade at all, but gradually you noticed the Playstation 3 had better graphics and more modern games. Playstation 2 remained dear in your heart, but hey you could play some Playstation 3.

Third Edition is not the Playstation 4 to Second Edition's Playstation 3. When you start Third Edition you are put onto a rocketship which blasts you to the moon, where you participate in a virtual reality cyber game in a high-tech futuristic battlefield that pits intellect, skill, and courage against your enemies. You control the living avatars of your game with your very mind due to the updated hardware, and you see gaming taken to an entirely new level, and you're on the moon.

If you really liked having to just hold a controller, don't want to see new virtual reality games, are afraid of progress and the future, then fine. Play your Playstation 2 and Playstation 3. I'm not taking them from you. John Mørke isn't taking it from you. And if you want to ride that rocketship, you can bring your old gaming systems with you if you want to. But by the time you get up there, many you won't care about those things anymore.

I see too much emphasis being placed on the mechanics. But lets be real, there are lots of different roleplaying systems and they have lots of different takes on how combat plays out. Exalted Third Edition is not doing the nasty, boring, unfun things that previous editions did. But it is not going to be Warhammer 40K Roleplay, or Dungeons and Dragons, or GURPS. It's still Exalted. If you don't like Exalted, then hey don't ride this rocketship. But if you did like Exalted in previous editions, just not covered with vomit and cow feces, then you'll love Third Edition's approach.

Let me finish off by saying this. I've known Mørke for years now, and he's not stupid. He's not selling you just some mechanics. The combat is the corn to the fabulous, juicy steak that he's cooking up. Now personally, I like corn. I like it buttery and with a bit of pepper, and John knows how to make some drat good corn. But I'm not on this rocketship for the corn, and you shouldn't be either. It's the juicy steak that is there that you want. Exalted is a Storytelling game, and that storytelling and setting is that wonderful steak. If you only want to eat corn, or the corn is all you care about, then I can't help it if you feel unsatisfied. But if you take even a bite of this steak, you'll remember that the corn was only a side dish.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

How often is it that I actually show up on the Exalted community to make a comment anymore? Let me talk about Third Edition.

First of all, if when you were eight years old your parents told you that you were moving out of the cramped apartment that had shady electrical systems and rats in the walls to a beautiful single-family home with friendly neighbors who bring you pumpkin pies every weekend, and you cried and whined and screamed and they had to drag you out of the house while you held onto the rotten couch that smells like cat urine, and you have NOT matured beyond this point in your life, you might not like Third Edition.

Second of all, if you are the sort of person who cannot accept change to any extent, to the level where you keep a white shirt covered in holes and spaghetti stains and upon receiving a fresh pack of new white shirts from family on Christmas, throw the new shirts aside because you're used to the old ratty thing that you had previously, you might not like Third Edition.

Third of all, if you do not like engaging roleplaying games that are interactive, where you and friends design fictional heroes who are placed in a world filled with both wonder and danger, where-in you proceed to make what you will of that world be it saving the day while riding in on a horse plated with golden armor or manipulating people from the shadows to dominate it, wielding superpowers derived from the most powerful gods in existence, then you might not like Third Edition.

I see a lot of people griping about mechanics, and it just needs to stop. The change from First Edition to Second Edition was like upgrading from your old Playstation 2 to a Playstation 3. Some stuff was different, and at first you might not have seen the reason to upgrade at all, but gradually you noticed the Playstation 3 had better graphics and more modern games. Playstation 2 remained dear in your heart, but hey you could play some Playstation 3.

Third Edition is not the Playstation 4 to Second Edition's Playstation 3. When you start Third Edition you are put onto a rocketship which blasts you to the moon, where you participate in a virtual reality cyber game in a high-tech futuristic battlefield that pits intellect, skill, and courage against your enemies. You control the living avatars of your game with your very mind due to the updated hardware, and you see gaming taken to an entirely new level, and you're on the moon.

If you really liked having to just hold a controller, don't want to see new virtual reality games, are afraid of progress and the future, then fine. Play your Playstation 2 and Playstation 3. I'm not taking them from you. John Mørke isn't taking it from you. And if you want to ride that rocketship, you can bring your old gaming systems with you if you want to. But by the time you get up there, many you won't care about those things anymore.

I see too much emphasis being placed on the mechanics. But lets be real, there are lots of different roleplaying systems and they have lots of different takes on how combat plays out. Exalted Third Edition is not doing the nasty, boring, unfun things that previous editions did. But it is not going to be Warhammer 40K Roleplay, or Dungeons and Dragons, or GURPS. It's still Exalted. If you don't like Exalted, then hey don't ride this rocketship. But if you did like Exalted in previous editions, just not covered with vomit and cow feces, then you'll love Third Edition's approach.

Let me finish off by saying this. I've known Mørke for years now, and he's not stupid. He's not selling you just some mechanics. The combat is the corn to the fabulous, juicy steak that he's cooking up. Now personally, I like corn. I like it buttery and with a bit of pepper, and John knows how to make some drat good corn. But I'm not on this rocketship for the corn, and you shouldn't be either. It's the juicy steak that is there that you want. Exalted is a Storytelling game, and that storytelling and setting is that wonderful steak. If you only want to eat corn, or the corn is all you care about, then I can't help it if you feel unsatisfied. But if you take even a bite of this steak, you'll remember that the corn was only a side dish.

Ferrinus posted:

Sadly I can't talk detail about how mechanics work, or give any specific examples. I can only do is dance like a little birdie around the issues. I mean, even if I said that Exalted Third Edition got rid of all dice rolling in favor of flipping coins, it wouldn't make sense unless there was some context behind it.

Exalted Third Edition is a great setting that draws on your old loves, but will ultimately help you find new loves too. It's an epic world designed to evoke imaginative storytelling where you have fun times playing make-believe with your superheroes. The mechanics of the game literally just enhance your ability to do that.

Hey if you decided to make up your mind about this game before you've seen anything about it, then I'm not going to change your mind. What I can say is that if you are excited for Third Edition, your excitement is well placed and you won't be disappointed. If you're on the fence, then all I can say is that this that Mørke will deliver, but it won't be done with a forum post. It's going to be done with a quality product, so be patient and see what it has to offer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Someone give me some context for this so I know if I should be laughing or afraid for Fenris's sanity.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ryoshi posted:

Someone give me some context for this so I know if I should be laughing or afraid for Fenris's sanity.

I do understand. It's December and your parents put the Christmas tree up, and you want to see the presents. Last year was a lame Christmas (you got socks and underwear?) and you're worried about this Christmas.

I can't unwrap the presents for you. All I can say is I was there when you parents got the presents and it's some good stuff. The only thing I have the power to say is that your wait shouldn't be uncomfortable, it should be with excitement.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

My FLGS has long-since banned Yu-Gi-Oh of all stripes for precisely this reason. Something about it just attracts the worst sort of manchildren.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Froghammer posted:

My FLGS has long-since banned Yu-Gi-Oh of all stripes for precisely this reason. Something about it just attracts the worst sort of manchildren.

I made an awesome drinking game out of Yu Gi Oh once but literally every person I introduced it to turned into a raging shithead within a month with the exception of one chill dude.

Meanwhile I have never ever had a bad experience with a night of Drankin' Pokemon.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ferrinus posted:

I do understand. It's December and your parents put the Christmas tree up, and you want to see the presents. Last year was a lame Christmas (you got socks and underwear?) and you're worried about this Christmas.

I can't unwrap the presents for you. All I can say is I was there when you parents got the presents and it's some good stuff. The only thing I have the power to say is that your wait shouldn't be uncomfortable, it should be with excitement.

:what:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So we're still in the "first week of the chat thread is just a wash" phase, huh?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Let it never be said that Ferrinus does not have a flair for the dramatic.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yawgmoth posted:

Let it never be said that Ferrinus does not have a flair for the insane.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Ferrnius essentially did the lovely fantasy RPG shill equivalent of the navy seal rant.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What happened to DeathmatchFM anyway?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ferrinus posted:

Yup

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ronwayne posted:

Ferrnius essentially did the lovely fantasy RPG shill equivalent of the navy seal rant.

I don't know what that is either.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I don't think he made more than five posts total, but what he did do was come back in July to edit to nothing that giant first post he'd made in February. Fortunately someone'd quoted it in full on the following page.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's copy pasting bad posts from the exalted thread, which means Ferrinus may slow down by next April.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ferrinus is only the vector for the disease that is people pretentiously defending Exalted.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

He disappeared, then went back and edited outthe first post he made five months later.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It doesn't need defending because it's perfect. Boom shaka laka motherfuckers!!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It doesn't need defending because it's perfect. Boom shaka laka motherfuckers!!!

It isn't.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's better than chimp-designed game dungeon world, which is youth oriented and bydlo approved.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's better than chimp-designed game dungeon world, which is youth oriented and bydlo approved.

Go on.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ferrinus posted:

i appreciate Exalted for being the only game that adequately caters to my "fire zombie babies out of a vagina" fetish

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you need further explaining then I'm afraid you lack the mental capacity to understand my explanations. I recommend you to find a kindergarten, to study on, because you appear to be stupid.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If you need further explaining then I'm afraid you lack the mental capacity to understand my explanations. I recommend you to find a kindergarten, to study on, because you appear to be stupid.

weak burn dude

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nuns with Guns posted:

i appreciate Exalted for being the only game that adequately caters to my "fire zombie babies out of a vagina" fetish

FATAL might have you covered there too, but I don't feel like trying to actually find out

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
It doesn't, the most horrible thing about FATAL is that it can't even be horrible in a slightly interesting way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

weak burn dude

You wouldn't know what a burn is even if you were a doctor on the burn ward.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Is liking one of the worst RPGs ever made a Brazilian thing, like being really into Saint Seiya?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Recently I had to confront a mighty and powerful cynic, who had managed to quash enjoyment even of laughter. The Ex3 leak was a godsend.

Lightning Lord posted:

Is liking one of the worst RPGs ever made a Brazilian thing, like being really into Saint Seiya?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lightning Lord posted:

I dont see how bringing up D&D 4.0 has anything to do with Brazilians. :smaug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

You wouldn't know what a burn is even if you were a doctor on the burn ward.

:lol:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ferrinus posted:

Sadly I can't talk detail about how mechanics work, or give any specific examples. I can only do is dance like a little birdie around the issues.

Ooo! Ooo! I can. Wait.

who cares

Ryoshi posted:

Yes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I dont see how bringing up D&D 4.0 has anything to do with Brazilians. :smaug:

:yikes:

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Zurui posted:

Ferrinus is only the vector for the disease that is people pretentiously defending Exalted.

FTFY

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
So, what IS Gary Gygax's greatest legacy to Exalted design and the white wolf legacy?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ooo! Ooo! I can. Wait.

who cares

Yes.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ooo! Ooo! I can. Wait.

who cares

You won't be reading this because you lack the emotional maturity to read posts you dislike but: you are arguing with a copypaste.

• Locked thread